• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Pulled

einsteinium said:
:D So I'm scheduled to get my wisdom teeth pulled in early January and am aware that they will be perscribing me some opiates but I am curious as to what the strongest drug is which they will perscribe for this operation. Many people I talk to get either hydrocodone or percocet but one person recently posted on here that a friend of his got OC 10's. I really hope I can convince them to give me some Oxycontin.... so basically, I'm just wondering how common it is for them to persripe OC and what you have experienced?

Either way,, I'm pretty excited about the operation! =D lol

its hard to say... it all depends on the dentist... I know of some ppl that where told to take tylonal; some that where gave codeine; and even a few that where wrote perc's (5mg of course)... when I had my wisdom teeth romoved i got some type of anti swelling medication'; some amoxicilan; and some meperidine (DEMEROL) in the form of mepergan which contains 50mg of demerol and 25mg of phenergan.

They tried to give me vicodin, but I told them it made me nuaseas so they gave me some very strong percocets. I can't remember the dosage, but it was the highest they make. Those things were nice.
Luckily I also opted for the "IV sedation" option during the surgery. It was awesome - they gave me the normal dose of valium they usually use to sedate people, waited a few minutes, and asked how I was feeling. I made sure to appear wide awake, and asked if I was supposed to feel anything. She looked surprised, and gave me a much larger dose. They also gave me a fair amount of fentanyl, which was very nice.
After I was done, they made me wear this sticker on my shirt that warned people about all the drugs I had been given. It listed dosages and everything... I thought it was kinda funny.

I've noticed a few people in this thread making reference to my dentist prescribing me demerol...

Why on earth would what he prescribed me merit disciplinary actions? I was in genuine pain that the tylenol 4s I was prescribed was nowhere near touching. The meperidine did the job perfectly, and seeing as I had a dry socket the 30x50mg pills lasted just the right amount of time, I ran out just as the pain became manageable with just ibuprofen.

I'll add that I am a Canadian as well, if that makes any difference.

peeinherbutt said:
I'll add that I am a Canadian as well, if that makes any difference.

Yeah, I definitely think that's relevant as a lot of the people posting in this thread are from the US.

^^...yeah, most definitely relavant. I'm sure that docs north of the border can get away w/ a lot more, as they don't have the D.E.A. constantly breathing down their collective necks...:\

i haven't had my wisdom teeth removed....

but i've had my fair share of dental pain. i bit threw my lip enough to require stiches, and ended up with 10mg perks after really being in alot of pain for days [smoker].

i had a friend in high school, who didn't use drugs, and had a faulty liver [not sure what or why] and got his wisdom teeth pulled out probally 4-5 years ago. he walked away at first with 10 OC 20mg's, and than 30 OC 10mgs a week later....

I'm reaaaaallllly not looking forward to having mine pulled with my tollerence :(

Going through any kind of surgery with a tolerance to opiates is dangerous. You should really be honest about it with them, although it is kind of a toss up whether that will make them sympathize or not. some would understand(having been there themselves or seen it happen many times), but some take a sick pleasure from putting drug dependent people through pain(suffer junkie, suffer, the same thinking of some er docs who give hugely ridiculous amounts of narcan for od to ensure that you will be in hellish withdrawals).

Looking back, I wish that when I had my jaw set the second time I was honest about my drug use(I may have gotten into treatment sooner), but having been there I understand the motivation to not want to say anything about it. I was in so much fucking pain when I came to though, and all they would give me was vicodin since I had't been honest about my tolerance/habit. All I could think about was getting home so I could shoot up, I ended up trying to hide the pain so they would let me go sooner. Just something to think about.

jr0k

i didn't really read any of this posts in this thread but i thought i'd add that every single person i know that's gotten their wisdom teeth removed got a script for 30x 5mg percocets.

My mother told me that she got Percodan for her wisdom teeth...WTF...I must have an asshole for an oral surgeon....

No Pun Intended.

Yea that's what the majority of people around here have gotten so I'm confident I will atleast be getting those and if I'm originally prescribed those I could maybe get OC by complaining about the perc's.

Thirty percocets is fine with me, though.

It will be some time in the beginning of January, when I am switching to a new dental insurance policy which will cover the operation... atleast somewhat, as my current insurance won't cover a dime.

I will be sure to post back on here though with the news. lol

Fortunately, my dentist is my father. Believe it or not, I did manage to get him to prescribe 5 mg oxycontin for my fucking mouth, and not just because I wanted to get high, it hurt!! Not only did i have all 4 wisdom teeth pulled, but I also had a root canal on the same visit. I was 1st prescribed hydrocodone/apap 7.5/750 by him. He knew I had smoked weed a lot in the past, and was aware that I had used prescription opiates. I simply told him that I had developed a tolerance to hydrocodone from my pase useage, and it no longer killed pain without taking a handful. He agreed to get me something stronger, but said he was going to give the pills to me himself and hide the bottle. It definitly helped me get through those first few nights, and after a few weeks of patiently waiting, I sneaked the rest of them out of his bathroom.

Got my wisdom teeth pulled 2 days ago... The doc had the presricption written before I even when under the plyers.. Gave me Hydros.. with a refil.. lol.. long story short.. i'm a i've been rolling on hydros for 2 days straight.. with no end in sight.

soundphaRm said:
I'm sure that docs north of the border can get away w/ a lot more, as they don't have the D.E.A. constantly breathing down their collective necks...:\

Well, actually here in Canada, I notice that docs prescribe controlled substances (opioids, benzos, etc) far less than their American counterparts. In the case of an opioid, the amount prescribed is usually the minimum amount needed, and in the case of benzos, it will likely be a small, no-refills script of about 10-15 low to medium dose tablets to be taken prn. Up here in the North, it seems to be the fashion to not over-medicate patients. Scripters and overprescribers are also rare, at least to my knowledge. I remember there were about two or three in my area, and were very quickly busted. Their licenses were revoked and I believed they may have faced criminal charges.

Also, concerning law enforcement, it does depend on the jurisdiction in some cases. Take the Maritimes, New Brunswick, specifically, out there, for example, Dilaudid is horribly overprescribed (it's the Maritimes' version of the OC proliferation), and less closely monitored (for some insane reason). However, where I am, in Ontario, Dilaudid is extremely closely monitored and controlled. The truth is, in parts of Canada, doctors are just as closely monitored by various governing bodies, but not in the DEA's 'Big Brother is watching you' way.

I broke 4 teeth , had an exposed nerve got 3 days of codeine (after not sleeping 2 nights) , the dentist here in holland pulled the nerve , and all i got was some crappy lidocaine just before.

he just told me it's normal if it hurts take some paracetamol.

fuck i hate dutch doctors and dentists , 1st of all theya re usually nasty motherfuckers , second they always tell you to take some paracetamol...

I just got my 4 wisdom teeth removed on thursday. All I got was 20 hydrocodone/apap 5/500 with no refill. Honestly though I didn't even need it. I had an ice pack on for 24 hours afterwards and took advil liqui-gels the next couple days. I'm going to save and enjoy the hydro at a later date. I guess I got lucky in that I never really experienced much pain.

I was given nitrous then anesthesia. The nitrous was amazing, I didn't expect them to let me inhale so much! I use to have a cracker/ballon and the most I have done at once is 3 isi cartridges.. I was way more fucked up than that. It definitely reminded me of the good old days. I'm really tempted to go get another box of cartridges

If whatever he gives you isn't enough call whenever you're almost out of pain meds and tell the oral surgeon that what he gave you isn't enough and the pain is horrible. He should call in a script for some more pain medication, did for me and my ex at least.

I was prescriped 30 7.5mg Endocets and when I ran out three days later I called and the guy was more than happy to call me in 30 10mg hydro's with 1 refill.