• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Pulled

damn, thats a hardcore junkie move to get your teeth pulled just for some pain killers. Thats when you have to look in the mirror and ask yourself, is this really worth it. If you answer yes to that, good luck with life :)

I'm sorry but you, Haz, are a moron for this has already been discussed earlier in the thread if you would read it before posting, as well as the fact that getting I would be a dumbass not to get them pulled. Why when my dentist tells me I should get it done, why should I not?? I'm just glad because for this, unlike fillings or crowns, I will be recieving a narcotic analgesic to relieve the pain. 8) You, sir, enjoy your pathetic misuse of time which you call a life.

They gave me dihydrocodiene. Lucky for me all my non drugusing freinds seemed to have loads of opiates left over from their opperation. I got morphine (15mg extended release blah), OC's, Lorcets, and 1 of them even gave me a 40mg methadone. Ur non using freinds, especially girls, will probley have mucho access to these if u ask them.

I had all 4 of my teeth out in September this year... I went to hospital to get them done...

All I was prescribed was Mersyndol... even the other OTC pain killers I normally buy for headaches, period pain, etc has more codeine in it (as does Nurofen Plus)... but this Mersyndol isn't the day-strength version so because of the other ingredient (some kind of calmative I guess) it needs a prescription...

Good luck... I was wishing that I had stronger stuff prescribed, when I complained that I still felt pain (because I certainly did when the anaesthetic was wearing off) they just said sorry they couldn't give me anything else! :\

not to be (whats the word im looking for..) class-sit? but i feel like people who get their shit done up in the suburbs where all the families are white, the grass prefectly mowed, newspaper always hits that special place on the porch.. i feel like if youre "privilaged" enough to get something done by a dentist in one of those neighborhoods i would. it seems like doctors from a city, exposed to "drug seeking behaivour" are the ones who are stingy about scripts. same with walk-in clinics too..

I agree with this completely. It is a lot harder to get drugs from clinic doctors who are exposed to larger sections of underpriveleged communities than any private practice. I also find that the people I know from richer suburbs are always the ones whose doctors are quick to write scripts. Ofcourse there is always that elusive magic doc and I've known of plenty of 'em in the city. Just an observation, but in my experience, clinic doctors almost always assume that you are engaging in drug seeking behavior unless it is painfully evident that you need it.

jr0k

Tokey-tokerson said:
They gave me dihydrocodiene. Lucky for me all my non drugusing freinds seemed to have loads of opiates left over from their opperation. I got morphine (15mg extended release blah), OC's, Lorcets, and 1 of them even gave me a 40mg methadone. Ur non using freinds, especially girls, will probley have mucho access to these if u ask them.

Methadone for wisdome teeth removal. That's funny.

What is the expected length of pain following a normal wisdom-tooth extraction. it seems like such a common procedure that nearly a standard rx standard would be enforced. I thought it was only 3-4 days? I didn't even need to take all 10 of my hydros....

a 2 refill script for 35 7.5's seems INSANE to me. Did you say a prayer to the saint of over-reaching narcotic scripts the night before or what?

Three to four days is about right, some people get dry sockets and those are painful and do warrant a stronger narcotic rx, but anything stronger than hydrocodone for any dental work is a little overboard. Unless you having your jaw rewired shut Vicodin ES is plenty strong. I have had some friends get Oxycodones for Wisdom tooth removal, but they were rare.

Man, I feel sorry for some of you guys here. I went to one of the higher class oral surgeons in my area, and he rocked my world. Had a nurse anesthetist monitor me the whole time, giving me IV Versed/Demerol, no lie. Beforehand we had a conversation and I told the doctor that I've taken Demerol before for kidney stones, and told him I'd rather have shitty 2.5mg Lortabs than Mepergan/Meprozine. His immediate reaction was "Lord, that's not enough....we'll start you off with 20mg of Oxycodone every 4 hours." Immediate boner. I wound up with a script of 40 generic Perc10s, and follow-up visits scored me 20 generic Vicodin ES on two different occasions. I love high-class old guy doctors.

bmurphr -- I think that pretty much summarizes everything. Its all in who you see, a high class oral surgeon will give you a nice IV sedation cocktail of drugs while the procedure is going on, not to mention an RX for some strong Narcotics.

Here in Texas, we have had problems with Oral Surgeons self prescribing so I think the Texas Board of Medical Examiners is scrutinizing them writing Sch2 meds. In Texas the only drug that is monitored by the state computer is Schedule 2 meds. Therefore they hand out Vicodin, Lorcet and Benzos like crazy...anything above that....you better have a good reason.

I saw an Oral Surgeon in a rather affluent part of town, but when he asked me about what meds I was on I told him about my Adderall and I think that affected the pain med that I recieved for the procedure. He gave me Lortab 7.5 X 25 w/0 refills. I even got a dry socket and went in to get it packed with clove oil and he gave me a shot of morphine. No Rx, no refill on the original script. I didnt need it after about two days of getting the dry socket.

For cryin out loud...DONT SMOKE after you get this done, I will admit that a dry socket feels worse than a broken bone, and is rather painful, but once its packed with clove oil its all good.

harryG said:
They will never prescribe OC's for wisdom teeth removal... End of story

You will get Vicoden probably at best. Which isn't all that bad because it really doesn't even hurt, so you can save them for later.
It is done sometimes, although it is rare. It just isn't correct to say they will "never" prescribe them.
As far as what is really needed for wisdom teeth removal, it's all dependant on the user. While hydrocodone is perfectly sufficient most of the time, some people have lower pain thresholds, natural opiate tolerance, or even self-inflicted tolerance.

Good responses and thanks all!

Hopefully i will be one of the lucky ones ;)

By the way, a friend of mine just had shoulder surgery and recieved 40 OC 10's and around the same number of perc's. Is that good? What is standard treatment for that type of operation (I know "shoulder surgery" is somewhat vague but don't know the details)?

Thanks, just curious as to where my area is on the scale of narcotic pain treatments...

^^Any time they preform surgery, you will get some type of pain killer. Most often it will be some type of oxycodone, although not always. "Shoulder Surgery" is much too vague to tell you anything...

einsteinium
i just said if you get them pulled just to get the drugs, thats a junkie move... if your dentist says you should then you probably wanna listen... sorry to get all up in your thong miss.

RiseFromRuin said:
What is the expected length of pain following a normal wisdom-tooth extraction. it seems like such a common procedure that nearly a standard rx standard would be enforced. I thought it was only 3-4 days? I didn't even need to take all 10 of my hydros....

a 2 refill script for 35 7.5's seems INSANE to me. Did you say a prayer to the saint of over-reaching narcotic scripts the night before or what?

There is no standard. Everyone experiences pain differently and should be treated accordingly. Over 20 years ago when I had all 4 of my WT cut out I got a script for percocet and didn't even need them as I had no pain afterward. Years ago pretty much all dentists would script percs after WT extraction; now days few do (see above posts).
Let me tell you, if you get a dry socket percs will not even touch that pain. I would be going to the ER if it was after hours.

brainiacthemaniac said:
Not really...Dallas Texas.....

Dude, I am here in Dallas also and these MDs are scrict with the opiates! I have a back injury and I was bounced from doc to doc to doc before finding one to write anything other then anti-inflams.

probably depends mostly on the doc and somewhat the area you live in as well. I had my wisdom teeth removed in a wealthy suburb of boston, massachusetts. The pharmy pills would flow through my high school like a flood.

for all those about to get your wisdom teeth out try notto swallow to much blood. it sucks and you'll throw it up for sure. i threw up like a fuckin pint. it was haggard. it was so funny though when i came out of the operation i was around my dad and i was soooo fucked up. i was really talkative too. it felt like party time to me. that was until i started throwing up black ass blood vomit. then it sucked from then on until it stopped sucking several weeks later. my doctor was so fuckin funny. he's one of my close friends dads. when i was just about to go under he was like" so are you nervous?" yes i replied and then he immediatly exclaimed"nervous what the fuck are you nevous for i'm about to get you more fucked up than you've ever been." he was right. after he injected the first syringe of fentnyl i told him to hold of the second for a sec because i wanted to ride it out for a minute or something i dunno i was already so rocked. all in all i must say it wasn't something to be excited about. having holes in your mouth that you have to keep clean for a month sucks.

Fried Man said:
probably depends mostly on the doc and somewhat the area you live in as well. I had my wisdom teeth removed in a wealthy suburb of boston, massachusetts. The pharmy pills would flow through my high school like a flood.

i'm from a well-to-do suburb of boston also, on the south shore..where about are you from?