Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

ICE - how do u tell your addicted?

m1ss_j

Greenlighter
how do you tell your a meth addict?

becuz i mean you might think your using it in moderation etc. but you hear everyone elses views etc....

so you dont think you are....but are you and you just dont know it....

so when at what point do you tell your addict compared to a recreational user ?

rite, my mates and i just discussed this a few wks ago before 'giving up' 4 6 months at least
firstly like wats moderation?
evry wk? or evry day?
i think if u do it evryday u do it 2 much, esp wen u hav 2 keep hitting up 2 stay up there
however if u only do it once a wk, like my mate B who is also giving up, and during the wk all u can think about is tweaking then ur probly addicted psychologically and even that really sux
warning signs that u got a problem imo....
-all u think about/mostly wat u think about is meth
-u find it hard/impossible 2 turn it down
-u feel really down and shitty wen ur not on meth
-u get aches and pains, eat 2 much and sleep 2 much wen u dont take meth
-u nd heaps more 2 get the effects, and then u only get the paranoia etc, not that euphoric energy
hope that helps, b careful and stop while u can
i used 2 think i luv the stuff but now i hate it equally

do you think also some of your reasons for doing may have a effect on if your a addict....

example... yea it feels cool etc.... but the main reasons you do it is either for something you wanna have a itimate one on one nite with your partner, and ice helps with conversation wise, and sexual wise.....
or another reason like becuz only do it to stay awake til a cerntain time....

if ur doing it 4 any reason utha than just 4 a bit of fun it makes u more likely 2 become an addict
same 4 all drugs and alcohol i guess

I tend to go by a rule of thumb which says...if you're at a stage where you're questioning whether or not you're addicted to something...chances are you probably are %)

Even if you are able to stop using as regularly as you currently do, for some people to completely refrain it often means changing their social and/or work habits (depending upon the reasons why ice/speed is used). However, giving up easily for a short set period doesn't mean there was no addiction.

Lots of people don't feel they have an addiction until they try to stop long term. Short term abstinence, particularly after a big binge, is often much easier to accomplish, as your body is usually 'craving' for rest.

Giving up completely i.e. being able to be around people that do ice without feeling the urge for a pipe, is when you know it aint got a "claw" in you. And for most people I know who did it daily for any length of time, complete abstinence over a long period is the only way of really shaking the desire. Even then, there will possibly be times when a past user will crave meth, particularly if their energy levels seem lower after giving up. From observations, this is quite common with older, long term users who give up. The craving can re-present itself anytime that long hours or hard work are contemplated.

this is more about speed, but anyway, in your opinion is this person addicted?

7 months on speed every day, starting off with an 8ball lasting 2 weeks, by the end of the 7 months a gram a day (speed, not ice or base)

needs it to study for exams/keep up with uni work - an 8ball a week (or a gram of ice lasting 10 days)

but over the past 18 months has been on it every day for a total of 11 or 12 months (inculding the 7 months straight, the rest is for 2 weeks - 6 week periods when there was enough money)

although they think about it a lot they have never stolen for it, and can get out of bed etc without it.

my opinion is yes, but its not past the point of no return yet....

Great, I werote some essay in here and it didn't get posted. Fuck typing all that out again.

I'll just get to the main point.

If you're fiending for it bad after 3 days to a week after use. you may be addicted. Keep away from it for a while.

And don't use meth in practical situations. ie. work, cleaning, study commonly, only when really needed because thats how u get asddicted easily.. finding a use for it be work, clenaing, school, sociability, confidence etc...

If you're stealing and getting loans, pawning/hocking etc.. you're obviously addicted or getting very close.

Buy the shit when you dont feel like your an addict, and when you go out.. not just for sititng around at home or cleaning..... have some meth.. get the body rush again.... mostly. dont buy it when u cant afford it.

this is more about speed, but anyway, in your opinion is this person addicted?

7 months on speed every day, starting off with an 8ball lasting 2 weeks, by the end of the 7 months a gram a day (speed, not ice or base)

needs it to study for exams/keep up with uni work - an 8ball a week (or a gram of ice lasting 10 days)

but over the past 18 months has been on it every day for a total of 11 or 12 months (inculding the 7 months straight, the rest is for 2 weeks - 6 week periods when there was enough money)

although they think about it a lot they have never stolen for it, and can get out of bed etc without it.

my opinion is yes, but its not past the point of no return yet....

From my own experiences I would say yes, but no-one is beyond the point of no-return. Ceasing altogether after long periods of use just takes a lot more will power IMO.

Some people seem to be able to stop using after long periods without any apparent signs to others that withdrawal is occurring. My own periods of past use were sometimes intense (daily use of speed) and occasionally quite long lasting (months). Following ceasing for good after a long period of using, I experienced a form of fatigue which at first I thought to be caused by something else ( virus etc). But others I knew were also experiencing similar things. In the worst cases it seems to take well over a year get back to having normal energy levels. Age can also affect recovery.

Using for study can be an advantage, but I'd argue that everyday use for extended periods will not likely improve academic abilities. Improved memory steadily gives way to difficulty in retention and recall. At least that's how I found it. In the end I found I achieved much better marks when I didn't cram using speed.

Getting rid of a daily habit can be difficult because so many of your body's functions have adjusted to the continual intake e.g enzyme densities alter, receptor sequestration occurs etc. Stopping after lengthy use periods therefore can be expected to be unpleasant to some degree, as the process of homoeostasis may take some time to get things back to normal.

I found a really good definition of it in a book called Buzzed:The straight facts about the most used and abused drugs from ecstasy to alcohol.

In there it says "Addiction is the repetitive, compulsive use of a substance that occurs despite negative consequences to the user". I would refine the last part to read "despite the negative consequences outweighing the positive effects" but hte idea is the same. You are at a position where you are questioning if you are addicted or not. That most likely means you are experiencing some negative fallout...lack of pleasure from ordinary dopamine stimulating activitys - eating, sexing etc, maybe some nasty side effects. If weighing this up logically you come to teh conclusion that it is best to stop and you continue, you are very likely addicted.

By way of example, I have come to the conclusion that i dont want to smoke, its bad for my health im shorton breath and im killign myself. I continue to smoke cos i dont really want to stop. I am addicted.

Another interesting point raised is that surrounding thinking about meth. This strikes on quite an important concept for addiction. When humans find something that reinforces a reward pathway (usually this means releasing dopamine), the brain remembers how this happened and plans for it in the future - in the past this might mean food sources, or these days even places where hot ladies hang out (brothels?). This planning element is actually one of the hardest parts of addiction to kick and is why rehab clinics will often reccomend you extract yourself entirely from your old acquaintances and environment...they will trigger the planning aspect of addiction and you will start planning on how to get your next hit.

Start conciously thinking about how often you are planning on how to get your drug of choice. Is it every day that you think about it? As it nears the weekend and you havnt sorted anythign do you fly into a frenzy trying to get some? If so, your likely addicted.

if your making posts like this on a drug forum about being addicted, than chances are you are already. Like stated above, try to stop ---> failure = addiction. Simple as that.

try this give up while you have a gram in the frige and a pipe readdy to use but u stop ur self because u wanna give up, saying you have givin up because u have none and cant get any is not giving up thats just an excuse

Last edited:
Your post made Victor Borge cry, mr king :(

I can never tell whether I'm a meth addict or not. I'm definitely an aficionado and I'll go into a frenzy with it when it's readily available and good quality - but then I can go months without even thinking about it. It's the strangest thing though - even after months of being clean, I can have a pipe dream (LOL) and I wake up feeling high (only lasts a few minutes, sadly!)

I'd say, stop using for a month, even when it's freely available and see what happens to you. If you can't, you're "definitely on the upward swing of the addiction J curve", as a wise mate of mine put it.

ok so someone mentioned above...signs you can tell your getting addicted are if your sleeping heaps and eating alot more.....

hmmmm riiight
have you ever thought your sleeping more to catch up on the days youve stayed awake on the ice....

and your not eating more...your eating the same amount it just feels like more, cuz its smaller amounts and constant...unlike 3 big main meals...cuz your stomach would of shrunk!

just a thought.....

^^^^i meant over the long term, u feel tired
i hav tried giving up so many times it pisses me off and the furtherest ive got before is 3 weeks without it, mainly cos 2 weeks of that i was away from any sources, and that whole time i felt so tired i cudnt bear to get up or go anywhere, i was depressed as shit and all my muscles ached the whole tuime
and yea i know others that get the same shit, alot of us kiwis do to much meth 8(
but i can see wat u mean about the eating thing
saying that evry time i go a day without it its like having the weed munchies times a hundred lol
for me the trouble is that if i gave it up i wud b giving up my life - all my friends do it, my boss pays me by giving me meth half the time, we certainly smoke it at work, cudnt imagine working without it
but yes im trying 2 give up for 6 months or so and its so far bn thoroughly unsuccessful which will probly b a bit more depressing later this morning wen ive come down :eek:
and somegirl - it does sound like ur friends getting a problem, but no way is it too late, lots of ppl do it, it just takes a lot of willpower - sumtimes its got to get really bad before ur willing to do anything about it tho

oh yea i do understand what you mean about your body being tired heaps afterwards.....please dont take my comment in a bitchy way....

it such a bitch to have a break when your in circumstances like that

Addiction Vs Having a Drug Problem

Ive had this talk so many times in the past. Basically came down to the fact that we were probaly addicted after the first time. Its human nature to repeat things that we enjoy alot. Im addicted to music, cant get enough of it. I have a mate who is addicted to fruit lol...seriously. You get the point though addiction isnt neccesarily such a bad thing. But i think that when you start losing your priorities, doing harmful things to the important people in your life thats when you have a problem.

Theres been times when ive blew all my cash on getting high, but then i go-nup thats it time for a break till i get my head together. have a break for a bit , then when im back to normal go back at it...only this time learning from my prior mistakes.
I may have the addiction....but atleast in know for sure that i dont have a drug problem.....if that makes sense?