• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Names

^I only knew of one Tabitha until I was much older, and she was, well... pretty hideous. It totally ruined the name for me!!! :( I like the nickname Tabby too. (That's another big thing I look for in a name - having good nicknames, because inevitably everyone will try to give you one. My mom's biggest battle when I was growing up was trying to get people not to call me Katie or Kate - and to this day, I still don't respond to either. I actually get pissed off when people call me either of of those, lol.)

We have both fell in live with the name Brody for a boy... it is almost a positive if the baby is a boy and Layla more than likely for a girl. We will be having the ultrsound where you can possibly tell the sex in 3 weeks but I do not trust that at all... known too many ppl where it has been wrong. Mommy wants to know though!

when i was younger i always said if i had a girl i'd name her stella.
but i don't want to have kids now, so feel free to steal it ;)

and if you're looking for original names, i don't know too many with mine (esp. spelled with a 'k') - karla

kittyinthedark said:
^I only knew of one Tabitha until I was much older, and she was, well... pretty hideous. It totally ruined the name for me!!! :( I like the nickname Tabby too. (That's another big thing I look for in a name - having good nicknames, because inevitably everyone will try to give you one. My mom's biggest battle when I was growing up was trying to get people not to call me Katie or Kate - and to this day, I still don't respond to either. I actually get pissed off when people call me either of of those, lol.)

I feel you yo

Everyone in my family calls me Kat. i tried for so many years for people in school, friends, etc, to pick it up too, but for some reason, people just dont understand that K-A-T without "E" at the end is kat and not "Kate". theyll just say "Ok, kate." :X :X

Then, my Alias that was gave to me by someone very close: lacey. there fore the lacey k. just switched it up a lil. Back in the day me and my man and a homie all came up with "parrallell universe stoner names" for eachother. And the name they gave me was that so, i go by lacey sometimes . some ppl i introduce myself as that to. but in general i hate "kate" it dont fit me at all, and i dnt even feel like its "me" in anyway so its cool that usually ppl dont refer to me by my name and just say "yo" or whatever. "Katie" is the worst.

But anyways, I like that name, but it seems like alot of preppy hoes have that as a name so i wouldnt give a kid a name like that. I the only lacey i know that aint some rich bitch gettin killed up by her husband loo.

I like names with "sh" in em. I aint gonna name my kid LaShavonda, but, I gotta say I kinow it will be somethin that might get took as "ghetto" cuz that is jus the names i always liked even as a kid. Maybe Shantay or Shante or howevedr, Shawntay, (not spelled like that but thats how you say it.)

And they definately gotta be 2-syllable names or more. It gotta sound good when youre yellin it down the street to call them home for dinner, na mean? :D For boys its easy : Tyrone always been my #1 pick, maybe Joey after my mans middle name. A man gotta have a strong name. Girls its alot harder. If i had a girl id prolly go with somethin that rolls off the tounge nice. All i now is you cant say "KAAAAYYTE" with that real mad parent voice all good and scary like if your sayin "sHARELLE!!!!!

Know what im sayin?

Boy : 'Cool Mo Dee'
Girl : 'Fairy Moonstone Brightstar'

triple-barreled has got to be the way to go, surely?

What about drop the 'L' and just have Ayla? Thats my favourite female name.
And Sebastian for a boy.
I love my name 'Alexis' and I always have people tell me its nice.

Last edited:
I have 2 kids.

A daughter named Jessica. I picked that name because I've always loved it, and its easy to spell. My parents spelled my name in a unique way, and I HATE always having to spell it out, or having people mis-pronounce it. (plus, when i was in elementary school, i could never find pencils with my name on it, and it made me sad... but thats a girl thing...lol)

And I have a son named Brody. I heard it as someone's last name, and I just loved it. And it means "brother", which I liked. My husband loved the name too. Its not a common name, but I figure its easy enough to sound out and spell, and boys don't care about having their names on pencils in school!

My parents spelled my name in a unique way, and I HATE always having to spell it out, or having people mis-pronounce it. (plus, when i was in elementary school, i could never find pencils with my name on it, and it made me sad... but thats a girl thing...lol)

lol, that used to annoy the hell out of me too. I always found things with "Carrie" or other variations of the spelling, but rarely "Kerry" Now I love that they didn't go with the conventional spelling of my name though. :)

If I have kids, I think I'd name a son Conor and a daughter Ella or Hannah.

I like the names Violet, Maria, and Sailor for a girl.

I don't really know what I would name a boy

In Mexico it is very customary to name your child after the parent or other family member. My cousin and I were pregnant at the same time and I felt sorry for her (idk maybe she was cool with it) because out of custom she didn't get to (have to?) pick out any names for her son. The first name was after the father-of course. And the middle name everyone in our family pressured her into naming after our grandfather that we never got to meet-because her sons due date was the same as our gpa's bday :\

I do like the idea of using middle names as a tribute to an elder -I kinda feel like thats what middle names are for. We chose a middle name for our daughter that represented both of our grandmothers that passed away around the same time. We want to preserve their spirits and pass the love they both emitted so freely onto our daughter through names.

I totally don't like common names like John, Alex, Ryan etc.. I also abhor names like Kiely (or however you spell it! thats why I hate those names!) Also I Kai (means sea in Hawaiian) is overly used out here. Kaileia, Kainalu, etc...

We named our daughter Pangea. If she wants an original name, she's got it-if she doesn't like it she can have people call her Gia which is more common. My 5 yr old neighbor asked me last night "Why didn't you give her a nice name?" lol It is kind of annoying when people pronounce it "pan-gay-ah" also "pan-jay-ah" but whatever- that kinda comes with a lot of names. I definitely like the meaning behind Pangea...not everyone gets it so its always really cool when someone does :)

I was named after my mom's aunt who she loved very much. It feels nice to be named after someone who people thinks fondly of and whenever they say my name they think something nice. I feel like I have a connection to the past somehow.
Names just shouldn't be randomly nice sounding words, they have to mean something.

I love biblical names. I'm not even that religous.

I love Eden, Beth (might be a remanence of my absolute adoring for the character in Little Women) and Leah (for girls). The non-biblical name is Cosette (from Les Miserables :eek:, obviously).

Malachi (only one for boys for now... unfortunately my boyfriend hates it ;))

Last edited:
I don't have a lot of particular names that spring to mind…I liked Tiber though.

I always wanted to name a potential daughter "Emma" because that was my grandmother's name and I loved and respected her immensely. Then the 90s came around and 1 out of 3 people started naming their daughters after my grandmother. Grr. I'll still use it as a middle name out of respect and love.

Philosophically speaking, I believe in giving kids 3 names so they can choose what they want to be called as they grow older. I have a couple of friends who went by their middle names in their late teens and early 20s (fairly uncommon, old family names: Tristan (meh) and Fyfe). They went back to the given first names later, but it worked for them.

All of my friends who had highly original names hated them when they were kids but grew into them later. So I figure that if you give your kid one sort of "standard" name, they can use that if they want to fit in or avoid being made fun of in the younger years. Later on, they can use one of the weird names.

In general, I would encourage my kids to feel free to legally change their names when they're old enough to make the decision. I don't know whether I'm being too conventional or whether I'm just too lazy to figure out what the appropriate age would be, but I'm thinking 18 would be a good age because they're legal adults (at least in the U.S.) and they can deal with the decision and the paperwork themselves. If they choose a stupid name that they regret later, they can change it back.

Yeah, it could become complicated, but I have at least a dozen friends who've changed their names and the names they picked fit them well and they're fairly happy, well-adjusted adults. Why should a person be stuck with a name they didn't even choose? Particularly if they're born into families that worship Reagan and think Dick Cheney is god's gift to the Fatherland and they've felt like an outsider in their family from the day they could think for themselves.

Oh, and I wanted to add... my parents not only spelled my name uniquely (sp?), but, they got the idea for my name b/c my dad's best friend had written a song about a girl on drugs and all this crap (they never would give me full details of what all the song entailed). so, yeah, they named me after the girl in the song.

I don't think they were too shocked when i turned out the way i did...