• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Names

Lacey, it is pretty different round here, the chavs really are scum, of the worst kinds, they act like scum, talk like scum, and go round mugging people, getting drunk and chucking up in the gutters, I just wouldn't want my child to be associated with that.

I wasn't shitting on the chavs for their names, I was shitting on them, for the filth that they are=D, the names are over here, usually associated with chavs, and I wouldn't want my kid named that, as it would more or less compare them to scally filth.

I kind of agree with Saul Williams:
"let your children name themselves and claim themselves"

The problem is deciding at what age they'd be mature enough to do so....

^ While I do like that idea, not giving your child a name until they're old enough to pick one themselves is kind of impractical =D

I think a good compromise is to give them a name that can be shortened in some way and letting them pick for themsleves what one they want to use. I knew a girl at school whose name was Evangeline (or something similar - I think it was pronounced the same but with wacky spelling) but she always wanted a more traditional, 'normal' name, so she just went by Eva. I'm the reverse - my full name is pretty ordinary and I don't like it much, but the shortened version is a bit more interesting and so I've always gone by that.

Maybe I'll call my (mythical) kid "Placeholder" and let them pick something out on their 12th birthday. That'd be pretty cool.

i have heard of a couple in the news who are doing exactly that, her official name is "baby girl whateverthelastnameis" She is around 2 and i believed she just named herself, IIRC..

How about shithead, pronounced "shith-aid" lacey, you will like that one, if you like tyrone =D ;)

just teasin ya. it actually almost sounds kinda nice.

actually i've been thinkin bout this. and i decide if i have a boy: roland. if the lil cooz is a girl then: elvia. no doubt. call him ro' all the time. roland if the lil motherfucker acts up. but really what are kids good for? other that breaking thier limbs in order to get pain meds for yourself? lmao. j/k . . . . . . .

Do you think made up names are stupid and pointless or do you like them cuz you can make it be whatever you want? Do you think 'made up' names are ignorant and make the parents look stupid? Do you look down on people who name their kids weird shit?
I actually got ahold of some economics research a little while back that found that children with names that were stylized (having an apostrophe in them somewhere) or having specific beginnings or endings (prefixes like lo-, ta-, qua-, and suffixes like -isha or -ious) that are often associated with "Black" names tend to have lower standardized test scores. This was even when compared to other children within their same family, so it wasn't like they didn't have similar environments. One of the thoughts about this is that they are viewed as possibly less competent due to their name and you end up with some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy effect. Really sucky, but probably something important to think about when naming a kid.

My name (Brooke) is one of those that's just sort of inbetween. It's not unheard of by any means, but every third child doesn't have that name, although soap operas are partial to it. :p I'd probably go for the same kind of thing when naming a child. Currently I like Ella or Etta for a girl, but not sure on boys' names.

Free Radical said:
I kind of agree with Saul Williams:
"let your children name themselves and claim themselves"

The problem is deciding at what age they'd be mature enough to do so....

If I had been able to name myself, people would problably be calling me "Skeletor" or "Captain Planet" right now.

like in big daddy..."frankenstein" LOL

Anyways as far as the shit you said Fizzygirl, nothing is gonna affect what i name my kid...standardized tests aint shit to me. i dont give a fuck if my kids grades are low, they are gonna do what they are gonna do with themselves in their life. i hope they can do good for thmeself and i will support them whatever the do, but i sure as hell aint gonna change what id like to name em just cuz of someting related to school. *shrugs*

BUt i wont go on more about that.

fizzygirl said:
I actually got ahold of some economics research a little while back that found that children with names that were stylized (having an apostrophe in them somewhere) or having specific beginnings or endings (prefixes like lo-, ta-, qua-, and suffixes like -isha or -ious) that are often associated with "Black" names tend to have lower standardized test scores. This was even when compared to other children within their same family, so it wasn't like they didn't have similar environments. One of the thoughts about this is that they are viewed as possibly less competent due to their name and you end up with some sort of self-fulfilling prophecy effect. Really sucky, but probably something important to think about when naming a kid.

My name (Brooke) is one of those that's just sort of inbetween. It's not unheard of by any means, but every third child doesn't have that name, although soap operas are partial to it. :p I'd probably go for the same kind of thing when naming a child. Currently I like Ella or Etta for a girl, but not sure on boys' names.

Instead of self-fulfilling prophecy I'd have to go with genetics.
Who named thier kid Lo'qua'isha?
A none too bright parent.
What kind of kid did they have?
A none too bright one.

I dont trust this study since there could me alot of factors that could change things that wouldnt be noted in the study. (such as teachers making fun of the kids name, etc)

Well, yeah, that's possible, but that would also be the person treating the child differently because of their name and then that having an adverse effect on that child. It's not *my* research, so I'm fine with holes being poked into it, but they do have to make sense (thanks chrissie for that help). The guy looked at a lot of other things, but he'd probably even admit it's not conclusive proof of anything, but it's interesting. I mean, we know that certain names make us think of certain people, or sound strong or preppy or smart....apparently some names have similar bad effects somehow. It should also alert us to the fact that maybe this sort of thing should be brought up with the teachers, so that they are able to correct for their own stereotypes.

Here's the actual paper if anyone wants to read it.

^That's really interesting.I've thought of this before and I totally believe it.

have you noticed the "silly" african american names such as that article refers to are more prone to be on women? I can't really think of any guys names that are like that. and for some reaon, the few I can actually make the man seem stronger, or something, not silly.

I was just reading about aborigines and how they would choose a name that fit that period of their life. for instance, if you were in charge of keeping the time, you would decide to be called Timekeeper. Once you grew into yourself it was your choice what you would have the people around you call you and there was no limit to how many names you could take in your lifetime. I like this idea, but unfortunately it has no relevance in our society. I don't know how many people I've known who have felt a discomfort with their birth-given name and wish they could change it.

I definitely would want to name my children something that made them feel as special and loved as they would be. A name that was given to them because it fit them. But what I do not know.

I also think it's interesting how names get syphened downwards based on wealth. Names that are popular with the wealthy inevitably become popular 10 or so years later with the poor. I wish I had some examples on hand, but the study I saw was pretty interesting and, I guess, sad.

^^^ i love your name ...very unique! unlike , oh, 90% of the bor-ing female names we see everywhere :)
I liked mine too only recently, i used to HATE it when i was younger and everybody would call me by my nickname. Now I like being called Patricia. =D Maybe cos a lot of ppl realy seem to like it too.