• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Names

I like my name cuz it means victory , ufortunately i'm a loser

if i had a kid , I'd name him defeat or loser in arabic or something , that would be good luck.

when around my arab family members , you can never your little cousin looks good brings bad luck , i really think this is a good strategy for keeping your kid out of trouble , instead of giving him/her some fucking stupid name (like preston or something) , the little bully's will try to make rhyme's about , just call him stupid or ugly , betcha those little fuckers won't think of anything , they'll just be like : ey stupid and your kid would be like : yes what?

In Canada a bogan is a Native. Don't know what it is in Australia. I like my name (Aaron) but I've seen it spelled a million different ways. It's a pretty rare name around here. no one in my grade had the same name, and I think there were maybe 3 of us out of 500 kids with it in my highschool. I have yet to find anyone in University with the same name.

Spellings:

Aaron (typical male spelling)
Erin (Typical female spelling)
Eryn
Arron
Airen
Airin
Aren
Aryn

hmm. kids, i'd name my kids: . . . shit i enver thoguth about it something odd. my brother named his kid zsigmaius, ziggy for short. i always liked teh name vincent or mike. if its a girl: elvia. i really dig that name.

U never fail to crack me up homie.

=D

zysigWHA

Elvia ay?

never heard that one before. sick.

I would name my kids simple names that could be pronounced and understood almost anywhere in the world. I want my hypothetical children to be able to live anywhere without major hassle - the future is global.

--- G.

the hell is a bogan?

I'm not sure what the American equivalent would be. The stereotype is someone with a penchant for flannelette shirts, tight jeans, and mullets. Their interests generally revolve around beer, football, cars and swearing. Russell Crowe is a good example.

I always liked the name Poppy for a girl but then Jamie Oliver went and called his daughter that so now I have no idea. I like the name Lelaina [but maybe that's just cos I love Reality Bites].

I have a weird name, Yarni. I don't know many people with it at all. I like it though, I think you can have an unusual name without people thinking it's weird.

I really like a lot of the steretypically 'black' names but would never call my kid one of them just because I'm sure they'd grow up with identity issues.

^
i think it's from the hitchikers guide to the galaxy

my name is Jaï everyone pronounces it jay which rimes with gay and really pisses me off.

lacey: bogan = trailer trash, except social welfare is better in Australia, so they live in government apartments or houses way, way out in the suburbs. Different to white trash in the US because they have no "real" cultural output, they're just a stereotype that's embarrassing to the majority of Aussies.

I've had a running joke with my best mate for a number of years that I would name my child after the sound of hocking phlegm back into your throat, since it's completely un-spellable (although if I had to take a shot, it'd be "Hynrhkkyhrrggrkhh") and it'd be a hoot watching their teachers try to pronounce it.

^

this guy in sweden named his son something like "7778399" in preparation for the digital age , poor kid.

I loath all the scally/chav type names, like say, charlene, kayleigh. etc, they sound so crude and unrefined.

For a dude, if I ever have kids, I will probably name it Lestat, after my own name (not my born name, but the one everybody who is a friend knows me by)

For a girl, either Kh'eleyr, pronounced khey-lar/kahylar, jadzia (yup, I am a huge star trek fan), or Mandragora, after the mandrake, or devil's apple, a root used in magic, and as a narcotic deliriant, I think mandragora sounds exotic and mysterious:)

but what would you call her for short? mandragora.... mandy? sometimes you have to take that into consideration :)

I don't get names like that. I'm a big fan of the X Files but I'm not naming my kids Scully Mulder or Skinner. I don't want to force stuff like that on them.

I'd be furious if my parents named me Mandragora.

Limpet_Chicken said:
I loath all the scally/chav type names, like say, charlene, kayleigh. etc, they sound so crude and unrefined.

For a dude, if I ever have kids, I will probably name it Lestat, after my own name (not my born name, but the one everybody who is a friend knows me by)

For a girl, either Kh'eleyr, pronounced khey-lar/kahylar, jadzia (yup, I am a huge star trek fan), or Mandragora, after the mandrake, or devil's apple, a root used in magic, and as a narcotic deliriant, I think mandragora sounds exotic and mysterious:)

I aint even gonna TOUCH the insane amount of silly hypocrisy in this one. (what i mean is, you aint being hypocritical in a bad way like george bush or someone who spits venom at other ppl for doing shit then doing it themself like bill o reilly. but it is hypocrisy as far as naming your kid something silly."
BUt far as being serious goes -

You think Charlene is a low class, dirty sounding "unrefined" name? damn, what you on. mandrake i guess. But for real, thats some crazy shit that you could call a name like that crude. i know its just opinion so i aint sweatin it, just suprised. Ya know just cuz a certain type of people that you look down on names their kids shit, dont make the name the same as them....If these "chavs" named their kids something like Kh'eleyr, and it caught on, would it be a "chav name?" woudl it make the name "unrefined?"

Just sayin.

Anyways, ask me and Charlene is a nice name.

And you should come to the us if you wanna hear names worse than that. like i said in my first post, al the examples i gave. i aint callin no one unrefined cuz i dont give a shit. it makes no difference to me and honestly aside from certain REALLY bad ones that i roll my eyes at, i aint judging a person by how they name their kid.

BUt come see here and see names like Jar'A'Qwaishiyieaa'Elle (pronounced Ja-Kway-Shelle) or Aquanetta (yea, named after aqua Net hairspray) and you aint gonna be dissin the 'chavs' for their 'crude' names. LOL.

whats funny bout your post shows the difference between the uk and the USA, here names like kayleigh and charlene are considered very normal "nice" names something youd hear a cathloic school girl named.

They may be nice names but it's the feeling associated with it that makes them bad. Just like a really rotten person can make a name ring poorly in your ears, so can the more common names of snooty rich people or crude lowbred people.

lowbred? *rrrgh*
Theres a problem with bein crude. thats something you act or a way you behave. but "lowbred"? you cant help what you were born into. that aint something to hold against soeone. but anyways,

What you said is true about what a name can mean cuz of who you assiciate it with. very true.

Hrm, by lowbred I don't mean poor, if that's what you think.

lowbred -
1. Coarse; vulgar.
2. (of persons) lacking in refinement or grace [syn: ill-bred, bounderish, rude, underbred, yokelish]