• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random questions thread - shit you wonder about

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, except for the anchovies (I hate all types of seafood). Fortunately, there is a vegetarian worcestershire sauce that is really good!

is tequila really made out of mexicans urine?

and is cananda really there? i heard it was destroyed in the 1950 by communist russia. and everything thats been made there since is just fakes made in idaho.

wizekrak said:
Typical Canadian beer is 5 to 5.5% I'm guessing most American beer is the same? Malt liquor excluded (I've seen one as high as 12% called EKU tasted terrible).

in general, most american mass-market beer tends to hover around 4-5% alcohol by volume (which will give you a figure a little lower than the alcohol by weight measure used most everywhere else). craft/microbrew beer tends to have a little bit more, although there are some ridiculous styles with over 20%.

fairnymph said:
Yep, it's woo (as in 'wood')-star-shar -- as per the dictionary.

probably one of those "american" dictionaries ... its "wis-toe-sheer"

The toe-sheer sounds right! I think I'm not making it very clear. Wuss and wis and woos are pretty similar sounding too.

It's a british dictionary, btw.

I was joking about that...sort of a play on when Carl (from the simpsons) see's homer in a car with no driver and it crashes and he says "one of those "american" robot cars" ;)

Another booze question.

A real shot is 1.5 ounces of 40% liquor (equal to a 12 oz beer or a class of wine in terms of alcohol)

So when you order a shot at a bar, why do they only give you an ounce and charge you the same price as a beer???

fairnymph said:
The toe-sheer sounds right! I think I'm not making it very clear. Wuss and wis and woos are pretty similar sounding too.

It's a british dictionary, btw.

toe? I've always pronounced it woo-stuh-shire

tuh and toe are kinda similar? Maybe that's just the hydro talking, though. :D

woostersheer vs woostuhshuh is nothing more than a geographic phonetic difference. The rest simply boils down to people not being able to correctly express their phonetics (in written form) due to the lack of pure vowels in the english alphabet. That and people not being able to spell worth shit. :p ;)

Back on lingustics, nice- after doing some research it appears officially the words 'among' and 'amongst' are completely interchangeable, as are 'while' and 'whilst'.

Now this confuses the hell out of me as I always considered them to be different, and to be used in different contexts. I have totally confused myself and thus cannot offer an example to illustrate the distinction I thought had existed.

Is this just another one of things that I should've known by now, or is anyone else confused by this.

The last time I had this feeling was when I was a told 'couple'- like 'a couple of batteries', means two batteries. I always thought a 'couple' and a 'few' were the same, meaning a small number of whatever item. Obviously a couple, when referring to partners, means two, but 'a couple of dollars', to me, means some small change, not specifically referring to $2.

Maybe I've just lived a sheltered life. Your thoughts, please.

Looks like I'll be sitting down to tea with you over linguistics again, SardonicNihilist. Or is that sitting down to linguistics over tea? :)

Unlike the different meanings of your "couple" example, while and whilst bear no such differences. Both are truly interchangeable, much like among and amongst. You can probably thank Chaucer and his fourteenth century pals for these irregularities and adding all things "t" to every other non-noun they came across. Due to such mainly British forms as burnt and spoilt, the use, in American English, of all variants ending in t is considered British and a bit ostentatious. Emerging from the Canadian education system gives you, SardonicNihilist, carte blanche to use the ts to your heart's content, as well their americanised variants. Personally, I prefer to use the t variants (whilst, amongst, etc.) more in the heart of a sentence and the non-t variants at the beginning.

The [couple = few] meaning of couple seems to be a more modern casual-conversational development.

Last edited:
Now I know theres a difference between who and whom, I can never figure that one out.

wizekrak said:
So when you order a shot at a bar, why do they only give you an ounce and charge you the same price as a beer???

because a) they can charge whatever they want and b) people will pay it.

lmnop -- Who is used when the person in question is the SUBJECT of the sentence. Whom is used then the person in the question is the OBJECT of the sentence.

Examples:

WHOM are you talking to? (the 'to' indicates objectivity)

WHO did that?

Status
Not open for further replies.