• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How Bad is Mold on Poppy Pods

Carfentanilfreak

Bluelighter
I was just wondering how bad it is to make tea with moldy pods. I have come across two kinds of mold on the pods, black mold, and grey dusty mold on the inside. It just pisses me off so bad how expensive pods are already and then I get a package in which 20% of the giganthemums are moldy. Ill bet in India for one penny you could get the same amount of pods you would pay $150 for here in the US. Its like the sellers dont have the decency to just throw away and not sell the moldy pods, they have to make money off the useless ones also.

I made a tea in which I couldnt see any noticably visible mold but the pods and tea have a strong odor. I just hope I can drink it without getting serious brain damage or having a toxic reaction. I just dont want to waste the money and time it took to make the tea. Also, is there a way to consume the moldy pods so I dont just have to throw them away?

i cant say i know alot about pods but ingesting anything with mold just doesn't sound like a good idea...be safe

I wouldnt do it man. Google mold and see how sick you can get. Which is better high for 30 minutes then an overwhelming sick comes over you... that MAY send you to the hospital. Not worth it IMO

I honestly never really had a problem comsuming pods with mold on them. I would think that the boiling process destroys whatever makes you sick. ? I could be wrong..i never got sick from it, only withdrawls :)

depends on what kind of "mold" you're talking about. black hard material isn't always real mold, sometimes poppy pods will dry like that.

Particularly if it's just black dots and splotches, that's probably okay. The only kind of "mold" I'd worry about is the white, green, or colored type that is "hairy." black, crusty material has never harmed me on poppies before....

If the black mold is on the outside of the pods its usually just small amounts of opium from bug bites/any other obstuction of the pots, that grey mist looking stuff on the out side is eaily cleaned off if you have that. Inside the pot though I woudnt risk it it its large clusters of it.

Are you saying that pods that are completely black on the inside and have an odor to them could just be the way some of them dried naturally? That would be neat to think I could use All my pods!

Some of them have a grey dust that also has a really bad odor.

I guess identifying what kind of mold is hard but further more knowing what is and isnt mold.

I did drink the tea by the way with a horrible added taste. I felt a really strange fucked up for about 40 minutes and then just the usual opiate high. :)

This is something I wrote for another site I belong too, and it well applies to the question of how bad can mold be for you. Please remember that some molds can kill you. This was written over two years ago and I have learned much since then about the poppy and opiates in general.

Like many others here, I felt my floral shows were becoming too frequent, and I decided to stop. My current run was about 300 gigs in two months. I know, too much, too soon. I knew I had a monkey and it must be dealt with. I have had a previous experience with wd's (I have has many since then), and knew that day three of Wd's would be the worst, due to the long life of the PT (poppy tea) goodies. This time however, it was only about 24 hours after my last cup that I was hit with a vicious need to visit the bathroom. Strange I thought, could it happen this early? Upon exiting the bathroom, I felt a slight fever and a general malease. I thought a good night of sleep would help me feel better, so I attempted to do just that. I awoke every couple of hours to use the bathroom, this was not going well. I awoke a couple of hours earlier than usual feeling quite ill in the stomach. I promptly blew chuncks. The steak and potato dinner I had the previous night was in retrospect a poor choice. Flash foward to 14 agonizing hours later, and I had probably puked about 20 times by now, and voided my bowels about half as much. If I tried to eat or drink anything, back the way it came in, it went out. (sorry for the graphic descripitions) I looked so piss-poor that word trickeled down the grapevine and my father called me to see if I wanted to go to the ER. "Hell yes", I said. At this point I have never been so sick in my life. I got to the ER, did the waiting thing, like you always have to, and finally got to see the doctor. They did blood and a urine deal and promptly called it a virus. The virus caused the oh so lovely gastrointestineitus. Really I have never felt so shitty. As I was getting fluids and meds, including 4 mg. morphine IV for stomach pain (woo hoo), the doctor asked if I had eaten anything unusual two days prior to the night. I of course said "no" as even PT was not unusual for me, I have done it countless times. But this got me thinking. Since I did decide to quit, I wanted to use all my remaining supplies, including a couple of moldy pods. I cleaned these as carefully as possible, but I guess I did not do a great job of it. This is the only possible foreign material around me that could have caused this. Damm them moldy pods! I have should have known better. Also, I never used to wash my pods (the outside). Gone are the days when I act so careless about what goes into my body. So after the night in the ER, they sent me home with several meds to help control the symptoms. My vomiting continues for five more days, but with decreasing frequency each day. The worst part was no solid food, only liquid, for five and a half days. Of course I went into wd's during this time. The worst parts of wich were poor tempature regulation, very cold all the time, and extreme insomnia, which because I had the bug was very distressing. Hot showers, four or five a day, did help a lot with the coldness I felt, and also helped by taking away the focus on my painful, empty stomach. It took me twelve days to feel normal again. The moral of the story? Don't use moldy pods for any reason and do wipe all useable pods down. I would not wish what I went through on my worst enemy. The good that came out of this was twofold. Since I am out of wd's, I now know how to aviod them in the future (the knowledge, sadly, has not worked out that way :p ). For me, I have to only view once every two weeks. Any more than that and I can see bad habbits coming to life again. The other good thing I learned, was to respect the gifts that nature gives us. By using the moldy pods I showed greed and disrepect. I was only thinking of myself and worring about feeling good. Please everyone, go slow and respect. If you do that, only good things can come to you.
Peace.
(hope that helps someone)
DON'T ever use moldy pods, it is not worth it. Oh yea, my uninsured ass got a bill for almost $3,000 for the ER visit. Two moldy pods guys.

great post, TMH. I follow your "work" over at the Porg and am just waiting for Solaris to send me a user/password (I successfully applied to become a new member there, just haven't heard back since then) so I can join in over there.....keep it up!

As for the moldy pods issue, how does one tell for certain whether a pod is truly moldy or not? Is hard, black crustiness on the inside of the pod always 100% definitely mold, or can pods just get like that? I've never found anything I was *sure* was mold on a pod....

Anyway, I vastly prefer to use fresh pods harvested from my own garden, and although I only get to do that a few times per year, hopefully that will help me avoid the troubles you encountered!

The only moldy pod I have got, I cracked it open, and there was black webbing inside the pod. Filled with black webbing. I put my nose up to it, it smelt like death. Follow ur nose!

smackem said:
The only moldy pod I have got, I cracked it open, and there was black webbing inside the pod. Filled with black webbing. I put my nose up to it, it smelt like death. Follow ur nose!

Im sorry I just thought that was hillarious but true. =D

I meant I hate moldy pods.

I know this topic is pretty much dead, but one member asked a couple of more questions that no one else answered.
(BTW tsion, Solaris just posted that he is still going through the new members list and will be sending out the info to be part of the site, so hang tight!)

Being able to tell what is mold and what is not mold on yer poppies can literally save your life, so I use a couple of guidelines to insure what I am using is reasonably safe. If you see a lot of grey or whitish stringy material inside a pod when you crack it is bad news, that is mold for sure. Also if you see a lot of spores, it may look like dust or smoke, when you open the pod is also a sign of mold. If you get a moldy pod do not use it under any circumstances, just throw it away. If you notice a funky smell when you open the pod this is most likely mold too, so again toss that pod away.
Some pods will look like there are coffee grounds on the inside of the pod, but this is not mold. What happened is the pod got damaged during harvest, and some of the Opium has leaked into the pod, making the gills black and causing the seeds to stick to the inside walls, they are perfectly safe to use. Often times you will see black spots on the outside of pods, and this is almost never mold. It is usually caused by bruising the plant before drying, or due to insect damage.
To be safe, you should always wipe the outside of your pods off with a damp paper towel, this will get a lot of dust off as well as some nasties that could cling to the outside of the pod. There are many ways to prepare poppy tea, but to insure safety, you should prepare your pods with boiling water on the stovetop and use some alcohol in the process also. This will also kill off a lot of potential nasties that could harm you.
Be safe and have fun.

themadhungarian said:
Often times you will see black spots on the outside of pods, and this is almost never mold. It is usually caused by bruising the plant before drying, or due to insect damage.

well it must've been mold in my case. in an effort to neutralize the mycotoxins i added lemon juice & alcohol and boiled in the microwave for 9 mins. when i drank the tea, i got a nosebleed and was feeling more cracked-out, anxious & confused than euphoric...

so apparently alcohol, lemon juice, and boiling are fucking useless and my pods are just expensive trash :X :X :X :X

e: btw--don't order from a certain place in canada. i'm kind of pissed, cuz they served me so well in the past & now suddenly im getting fucked over. :p

Last edited:
^i swear if the person who sent me those pods was right in front of me, i'd attack em & beat em within in inch of his life for sending people poison. im sure he knows full well what people are doing with his dried flowers...

well.....im gonna try again tonight using only parts of the pods that are relatively free of the little black dots.

hopefully there'll be no anxiety, ringing ears or nosebleeds this time

...and hopefully i won't get liver cancer 8(