• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How Bad is Mold on Poppy Pods

Carfentanilfreak said:
Its like the sellers dont have the decency to just throw away and not sell the moldy pods, they have to make money off the useless ones also.

In their defense, it's almost impossible to tell externally if a pod will be modly inside. I've seen pods that look like crap on the inside but are full of goodness inside, and I've seen pods that look great on the outside but when I crack it open it's full of black death.

Unless there's an easy way to tell without cracking them open that I'm unaware of. It would save me a lot of time/disgust not having to crack them open and smell them to find out if they're bad.

^the pods i have look good on the inside but have small black spots on the outside

...and i've decided fuck it, i'm not gonna use em. i just remember how shitty i felt last time.....

guess i'll order more pods, but this time from a supplier that specifically states that their pods are mold-free

what a horrible waste of money, tho :(

e: actually i take that back. i said "fuck it" and made another batch tonight, same method. i used only the parts of pods that're mostly free of black spots and now ive got a really nice glow going on without any apparent ill effects. still....it doesn't seem very safe so im def getting new pods soon

Last edited:
If they have small spots on the outside but are fine on the inside, I'd keep them. I don't believe that it's usually mold (I think it's bug bites/bruising/etc). At least I've never had a problem with them. So if you don't want them, PM me for my address and send them to me! :)

Boiling, alcohol, acids, etc are a great way to kill bacteria/mold, but they do NOT kill spores, which are typically resistant to these types of treatments. They also do NOT remove heat-stable toxins produced by these types of organisms.

A more effective way to kill bacterial and mold spores is pasteurization. Essentially, this involves boiling the mixture, allowing it to cool (which will cause the spores to germinate, and lose their resistance to heat/chemicals), and then boiling again. Repeat 3-4 times.

Any heat-stable toxins that may have been deposited on the pods would still be present however, so caution should still be advised.

hyp: i've already experienced typical black mold symptoms from ingesting em, so it's probably a bad idea ;)

raybeez: fuck yeah. i will grind a whole bunch and try that!

anyone ever reuse poppy seeds a couple days later that had already been used? I let them air out the last 2 days..left the caps off the bottles, but they still smell a bit of mold...not even close to as bad as usual though. so i made tea out of them today to see if i would get sick...stupid probably, but wanted to see what happens.

i have had wet tea grounds in a bag that had appeard to ferment a bit. I 86-ed em, it was a decision between getting sick (wd) and getting sick(god knows what). I reluctantly chose the wds

once a long time ago I cam across dried pod heads.

when I cracked one open to see what they look like inside it looked dark like the coffee grinds mentioned ^^^.

seeds stuck to the dark colored substance lining the inside chamber.

it smelled sort of like fresh dirt, not as funky as other pods I've smelled before; it smelled more like earth.

that was the good shit trapped inside, right?

Hello all. I'm just a n00b here, but I thought I'd contribute my $0.02. I ordered roughly a dozen giganthemum pods online and turned them all to dust in my blender. Being incredibly cautious about what I put in my body (as you all should be) I decided to inspect each pod first. I noticed that one pod had a hole in the side. It looked like perhaps a bug went inside. So I cracked it open and found this:

pod1.jpg

pod3.jpg

pod2.jpg

Every other pod was completely clean inside. This one was brown and mucky inside. Going by what I've read on the internet (and in this thread) this was the "good" kind of damage. It does look a bit like coffee grounds. Actually, it looks more like wood that termites have eaten. Anyway, I gave it the sniff test - and it smelled fine. Smelled just like a pod. There was no dust or fuzzy mold or anything else inside that seemed like genuine mold.

So I blended all the pods up. Long story short - it was the worst weekend of my life. I ended up with 80 grams total of blended pods. I cut it in half (40 grams) and made tea out of it. Then I spent all day performing the "iceolation" process to eventually arrive at what I thought would be a smokable product. In the end, I had a bunch of hard resin (not sticky like putty - I guess I got some of the oils out - but not powder either). I spent forever smoking the crap out of the resin and I felt absolutely nothing. After getting tired of punishing my lungs, I decided to use the other 40 grams of pod powder to make straight tea. This time I only strained it, then ran it through a coffee filter. The resulting liquid looked exactly like iced tea - no impurities or sludge in it. I proceeded to drink it all.

I'll just wrap up the rest of the experience in summary. I drank the tea at 2pm. I felt a very mild, very un-worthwhile "high" for the next 14 hours. I began projectile vomiting at 8pm, which ran until 5am. I had horrible flu-like symptoms, and could not even keep down 7-up and crackers. I was horribly miserable all night and considered going to the ER for dehydration.

Was it a moldy pod after all? Or maybe Poppy Pod tea is just the worst idea EVER. About myself; I'm a 23 year old electrical engineer/professional geek. I do not do drugs. This is the first time I've ever tried this tea. Perhaps some of the more hardcore drug addicts on this forum are used to drinking this horrible abomination of a drink, but for any n00bs like me who read this post - my advice to you is to stay FAR away from this joke of a drug. Considering how long I personally lurked on this forum before joining, I hope some other lurkers who are like me can read this post and learn from my mistakes - DON'T TRY THIS! At best, the "high" made me want to fall asleep. Oh joy. That makes it about as much fun as taking a nap. Except naps don't give you flu symptoms and make you wish you were dead.

I don't mean this to be too negative, but man you OD'd straight up.

You have never touched opiates before and then you decide to dose 40 grams of powdered pods? I mean come on, you're lucky thats all that happened. The half life on pods is incredible, it can actually get more intense up to 12 hours later if you have no tolerance to all the crazy alkaloids in it.

C'mon if you lurked as long as you claim, why the hell did you not start with 1-2 pods powdered?

Wait, are you trying to tell me that white fuzzy/hairy type mold on poppy pods is bad for you? I've made dozens of cups of pod tea using white/grey mold infested pods. They never smelled like death, and I don't think they fouled up the taste too much. Though I have noticed way more side effects than expected from pods sometimes...

raybeez said:
Boiling, alcohol, acids, etc are a great way to kill bacteria/mold, but they do NOT kill spores, which are typically resistant to these types of treatments. They also do NOT remove heat-stable toxins produced by these types of organisms.

A more effective way to kill bacterial and mold spores is pasteurization. Essentially, this involves boiling the mixture, allowing it to cool (which will cause the spores to germinate, and lose their resistance to heat/chemicals), and then boiling again. Repeat 3-4 times.

Any heat-stable toxins that may have been deposited on the pods would still be present however, so caution should still be advised.

But wouldn't that kill all the opiate goodness? Boiling, I heard it breaksdown the opiates?

man that damn black mold is the craps
that picture posted is perfect example
drank a little of that back in the day, the stuff made me horrible ill
the dusty stuff on the outside seems to be ok,
but please avoid that black inner crust

Look man, say you sit down to a nice steak dinner out and when they bring the food the steak has fuzzy greenish mold on it. The potato's are green and black and mushy. Well I don't know about you, but I'm not eating a bite of it.

Be safe; wipe off the outside with a damp cloth, if the inside looks different then the normal one's or smells moldy, trash it and wash your hands.

garuda said:
I don't mean this to be too negative, but man you OD'd straight up.

So you'd think :\ . I drank the first half of the tea, waited for an hour and felt nothing. I drank the second half and still barely felt anything. I'm not sure what gives. I have no tolerance for anything, so 10mg of Hydro will really mess me up. The tea didn't feel even close to that.

I had a slight "nod" going for maybe an hour or two, but the rest of the time just felt like that last stage coming down off shrooms where you don't want to talk or move. No euphoria or body high. Like I said, I can't explain it. The second 40g batch was soaked in water (initially at 65*C) for 3-4 hours. You'd think the opiates would have leached out by then.

At any rate, it was just an absolutely horrid experience. My stomach/abs are still sore from vomiting and dry-heaving.

why is it that noobs always play lazarus? :)

Anyway, the problem with moldy pods is that it produces stronger physical symptoms and sometimes leaves you feeling massively sick. I haven't used them in maybe 2 years now, but I think nothing has changed here.

Fail Fighter, you massively overdosed. 40g is way too much for someone with no tolerance.

Ah... one of those magical overdoses where you don't actually feel anything...?

I'm a body-builder/health freak and I am certainly in touch with my own body, more so than most people. I have never overdosed on anything, ever. The tea was just a flat out joke. I'd like to blame the nausea on the one questionable pod, but in reality, I know it was just the horrid tea in general. It was a stupid waste of my time that only left me sick. I would have caught a better buzz off a single Darvocet :|

^^^ overdosed as in you took to much other crap compared to the actuall opiates you got into you.
They might be low in morphine content, and then you ingested a ton of other alkaloids that have no opiate feeling/effect at all. See what i mean?