• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How Bad is Mold on Poppy Pods

I'm am pretty sure you can boil a substance in water for 30+ minutes and destroy most organic pathogens in the process. Wether or not this will kill all the fungi for sure is anyone's guess. To be safe I would not use them though, is it really worth it?

like someone mentioned surely boiling water will kill any harmful mold

No need to get annoyed with me. It's just that I may hypothetically be doing something very involved with pods and need all the knowledge about such procedures and all their intricacies that I can get.

By the way, do you think the result of an acid-base extraction would be the same if you experimented with other NP solvents?

You can read about my toilings here:
http://bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=406576

But I gave up on morphine extraction if that's what you're going for. I would advise not wasting your time on that as even 100g of pods yields an almost microscopic amount of morphine.

I'm am pretty sure you can boil a substance in water for 30+ minutes and destroy most organic pathogens in the process. Wether or not this will kill all the fungi for sure is anyone's guess.

It's not "anyone's guess" you nincompoop. I've already stated that mold spores are completely unaffected by boiling, as are the mycotoxins they produce. If you guys can't understand that, here's a simpler way of saying it:

1. Mold produces poison
2. Boiling kills the mold
3. The poison remains

like someone mentioned surely boiling water will kill any harmful mold

:!

Well you will notice I never did say anything about the boiling process destroying the toxins anyway. I was merely pointing out that it would kill the mold present and avoid a fungal infection.

The mold itself is not the problem. The spores are what cause fungal infections, and the toxins are what make you sick. Again, boiling kills the harmless mold and the bad stuff will remain.

In the name of harm reduction, moldy *anything* should be thrown out. Period.

Anyone who considers using moldy pods needs to only smell them to know that they don't belong in the tea.

FYI, if any of you want to safely consume PPT but you have limited or no laboratory glassware/supplies, I would do the following at a minimum:

1. Soak the poppy pod powder in DISTILLED water. If you mix it with ordinary water, the PH will be higher (around 7) which will keep all the fats/waxes in solution. If you use distilled water, the PH will be lower (about 5.5 - 6 usually) and the pond scum/gunk will fall out of solution. If you have litmus paper lying around, add some lemon juice to the mix and get the PH between 4.5 and 5.

2. Filter the solution through a MILLIPORE filter. None of your ghetto-rigged household filtration ideas will work worth a damn. Coffee filters are especially shitty, and have a pore size of around 100 um. I would buy lab grade filter paper with a pore size no larger than 2.5 um. That's what will filter out the fats/waxes (the stuff in PPT that makes you sick).

Ideally, you should filter the tea down to 0.2 um, which is actually small enough to sterilize the solution because bacteria are larger than that. Such filtration involves vacuum suction, but if you want a cheap/quick/easy solution, look into Nalgene bottle-top filters. They have a built-in vacuum nipple that you can suck on if you don't have a pump.

If you set the PH at 5 and filter down to 0.2um, you can evaporate the water and you'll be left with a dry, brittle material. It won't be sticky or gooey at all because what makes it soft and malleable is all the crap you filtered out. It will basically be a pure collection of alkaloids.

This is ridiculous, you eat FOOD right? Fresh fruits and veggies? You eat out right? So tell me why you would trust those to be acceptable but not pods you've given a visual inspection?
Sure discard mold infested pods, but worrying about bacteria on a dried pod?! Some perspective is needed.

This is ridiculous, you eat FOOD right? Fresh fruits and veggies? You eat out right? So tell me why you would trust those to be acceptable but not pods you've given a visual inspection?
Sure discard mold infested pods, but worrying about bacteria on a dried pod?! Some perspective is needed.

Poppy pods are not FDA regulated...

<- Germaphobe

Thanks for the advice. I used to go through a certain supplier in Florida a couple years back....she always had good arrangements. I'm getting back to viewing the floral arrangements...as my pet monkey's been going for the "much more refined" arrangements lately. I'm gonna try a supplier in Washington this time.....I'll see....hopefully after a month or so of viewing, I'll be able to get off my "replacement therapy meds".

btw...i've seen a couple moldy pods here and there...but those go in the trash....ugg.

Mold in pods and possible bugs

SWIM doesn't usually find any moldy pods from her vendor in Ohio which I can't mention here. In a case of 1200 she only found one with mold, which was thrown away. However, in 3 pods from that case she discovered inside the pod heads, a strange dead bug. They kind of looked like a bee but it weren't it had the color and transparency of those yellowish-tan bug skins that locusts shed and leave on the side of a tree, and was the size of about 3 bb's (the kind you shoot from a pellet gun). Does anyone know what kind of bug it was? The important lesson she learned was always look inside the pods when you crack them open.

SWIM doesn't usually find any moldy pods from her vendor in Ohio which I can't mention here. In a case of 1200 she only found one with mold, which was thrown away. However, in 3 pods from that case she discovered inside the pod heads, a strange dead bug. They kind of looked like a bee but it weren't it had the color and transparency of those yellowish-tan bug skins that locusts shed and leave on the side of a tree, and was the size of about 3 bb's (the kind you shoot from a pellet gun). Does anyone know what kind of bug it was? The important lesson she learned was always look inside the pods when you crack them open.

That's interesting, I have never found any insects in my pods. Any chance that you could post a pic??

Bugs

I have long thrown them away. It happened twice so I am sure it will happen again, when it does I will post :)

Has anyone gotten a pod that smells like a musty basement? I had 3 or 4 in a batch of Large long stems.

i always eat my poppys raw. i just grind them straight out of the box in a coffee grinder and then i parachute them in a piece of toilet paper. i eat like 2-4 xls at a time every day usually. i only throw ones away with visible white webby stuff, not black ones usually because i thought they were safe.

my question is, due to all the molds that might possibly be growing, is this really unsafe?

ps. one time the next day after taking some the night before i kept throwing up for like 4 hours like twice an hour until i smoked weed and felt better. nothing like that's ever happened before just from pods.

edit: i use a stove top espresso maker like this: http://www.jr.com/bialetti/pe/BIA_06800/ . i think steam just goes through the straw and it turns to water on the top, leaving no straw in the product whatsoever. is this method safe or is it dangerous too? thanks!

also, how common is it to actually have DANGEROUS mold on pods that can hurt you? is it always easy to tell if mold is on it, and if one pod has mold can it spread to the other pods without being obviously visible? it seems like more people would be getting really sick from pods if these molds are so dangerous...

Last edited:
There is no way to tell what the odds are of ingesting a specific mold or mold spores that may result in Mycotoxicosis in regards to PPT. I am sure the chances are slim, but still there is a risk. So the only advice I can give is use as much caution as possible if you insist on consuming PPT. There is another member on here who suggested soaking the powder in vinegar & lemon juice, using distilled water, pasteurizing the mix and using a filter no larger than 0.2 um. This sounds like good advice. Also another ingredient that is very very effective at deactivating mold spores is grapefruit seed extract. There is some good advice, but the best advice is to avoid this all together. Aside from the risk of getting some 3rd world disease it is devastating to a persons liver and kidneys. Especially if you are using it every single day.

its bad for your livers and kidneys too? wtf i thought opiates were generally non-toxic physically... i use like 2-6 XLs a day.