• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

How Bad is Mold on Poppy Pods

I wish I had never found this thread and the topic, now I am perhaps overly paranoid about mold. I don’t think anyone can completely irradiate the risk of mold. However, here is my conclusion.

If the pod has obvious mold throw it away, or set it aside to be used in an opium extraction process. Do not try to cut out the mold as unseen mold spores may have penetrated other parts of the pod.

If you are unsure about whether there is mold or not and intend to consume the poppies:

1: Wash the outside of the poppy pods.
2: When the pods are crushed up cover them in something acidic, vinegar, lemon, lime juice, stir for 10mins.
3: Cover them with alcohol, stir for 10 minutes.
4: Cover them with boiling water
5: (for extra safety) put the pods in the fridge, allow them to cool, and reheat them.
6 The final line of defence will be the stomake acids once the pods are consumed.

disclaimer: I know only what I have read, and the above is just a common sense approach to doing as many things as possible that “may” help remove the mold.

^ If you read the last page, another poster tried a similar "wash" with negative results. I don't think it's worth messing with moldy pods. You can try to scrape all the mold off them if the mold is contained on the inside. That's really the only way I've seen anyone salvage a moldy pod (by scraping or cutting out the bad parts).

and that wont work, too - not all parrts of the mold are visible.
and i dont think it would be good to extract o from moldy poppies as mold produces toxic chemicals - who knows how to get rid of them?

I will quote something I just found:

"Straight vinegar reportedly kills 82 percent of mold. Pour
some white distilled vinegar straight into a spray bottle,
spray on the moldy area, and let set without rinsing if you
can put up with the smell. It will dissipate in a few hours."

Note: I think thats not your "normal" supermarket vinegar.

I cant imagine it would help the taste to completely soak the pods in vinegar, but certainly might be a good option for cleaning the outside of pods.

I used pods with some of the black "splotches" and dusty stuff and I haven't gotten sick from it. I'm not entirely sure its mold.

I have gotten other ones with wispy like black strings (like spider webs) and I threw them away. They smelled awful and I'm pretty sure that was mold.

DexterMeth said:
anyone ever reuse poppy seeds a couple days later that had already been used? I let them air out the last 2 days..left the caps off the bottles, but they still smell a bit of mold...not even close to as bad as usual though. so i made tea out of them today to see if i would get sick...stupid probably, but wanted to see what happens.

argh that vingegar taste from old pod or seed tea , disgusting

Strange.. when i first started doing pods (About a year and half ago) i included those nasty moldy pods in my dose. I didn't know better at the time. And amazingly i never got sick. I don't know.. maybe i got lucky. But now, i stay clear of them.

I usually get 1 or 2 moldies in each order. But, my most recent orders didn't even have one. The most I've ever gotten in an order was 6. I wasn't happy about that but i had 94 more pods left so that's ok.

I still can't believe i never got sick. Pretty stupid of me. But, at least i no better now.

And yea... I'd say you overdosed dude. 10mgs of Hydro messes you up? And you did 40 grams of powder. Your lucky your not just a memory.

If you do it right, pods are wonderful and offer excellent pain relief. I only do pods when i don't have my regular meds. I probably get one order a month. Pods are a great supplement.. as long as you are careful and responsible with them.

RPG

I thought I would take a few pictures.

This first picture is the state of my pods. They were picked just a few days ago. I guess it’s quite late in the season for poppies as most are well dead and damaged, but I do find the occasional green pod.

The picture is not the best quality as it’s just a phone pic, but you can see they don’t look in great shape. The white is no problem; the camera makes it look worse. The white is just a very faint dust which comes off with a quick wash. What I am concerned about is the green spots at the top of the centre one. (not the black spots at the bottom)

my.php

Here you can see the result of my second attempt to extract the opium from my pods. Mash it all up with water, filter, filter, filter, bang it in the oven at 150 for hours until I get a treacle-like solution. It quickly hardens into a substance which is the same colour and texture as some soft cannabis. There is a brown tinge across the bottom of the dish, when scraped it is like a really fine powder.

my.php

I think some people are far more sensitive to the mold than others.

Obviously, we are all referencing the same type of mold.

In some, no symptoms present. In others, flu like symptoms present.

How could we 100% ID the mold?

CloudyHazeD, I don't think we are all referencing the same mold. I worry about small green spots. Others talk of webbing inside, black and white mold. And of those I think there are hundreds of types.

I was reading somewhere that you need an expert to identify the mold. Else I guess a microscope would help :D

The other thing which makes this a hard problem to measure is that if someone gets ill, you cant tell for sure wether mold was the cause or perhaps some other bacteria/organism or even just an overdose.

CarlosK said:
I will quote something I just found:

"Straight vinegar reportedly kills 82 percent of mold.

It doesn't matter. If there's any mold at all, you're screwed. For starters, if you see even a tiny spec of fuzzy mold, the entire inside of the pod is already covered with microscopic spores. And the spores don't die. Alcohol and boiling water don't even phase them. Furthermore, some molds produce micotoxins which can make you sick (or even kill you). These toxins are impossible to remove unless you are good at acid base extractions.

But even A/B extractions are a waste. I've tried several times and the yield is nil. My largest attempted O extraction was with 100g of poppy pod powder, and the yield was so low that I didn't even bother filtering out the precipitate. I just dumped it down the drain and cut my losses.

FYI, if any of you want to safely consume PPT but you have limited or no laboratory glassware/supplies, I would do the following at a minimum:

1. Soak the poppy pod powder in DISTILLED water. If you mix it with ordinary water, the PH will be higher (around 7) which will keep all the fats/waxes in solution. If you use distilled water, the PH will be lower (about 5.5 - 6 usually) and the pond scum/gunk will fall out of solution. If you have litmus paper lying around, add some lemon juice to the mix and get the PH between 4.5 and 5.

2. Filter the solution through a MILLIPORE filter. None of your ghetto-rigged household filtration ideas will work worth a damn. Coffee filters are especially shitty, and have a pore size of around 100 um. I would buy lab grade filter paper with a pore size no larger than 2.5 um. That's what will filter out the fats/waxes (the stuff in PPT that makes you sick).

Ideally, you should filter the tea down to 0.2 um, which is actually small enough to sterilize the solution because bacteria are larger than that. Such filtration involves vacuum suction, but if you want a cheap/quick/easy solution, look into Nalgene bottle-top filters. They have a built-in vacuum nipple that you can suck on if you don't have a pump.

If you set the PH at 5 and filter down to 0.2um, you can evaporate the water and you'll be left with a dry, brittle material. It won't be sticky or gooey at all because what makes it soft and malleable is all the crap you filtered out. It will basically be a pure collection of alkaloids.

I was talking about that black crumbly, crusty crap that takes over the inside of the pod. Stuff made me sick as a really sick dog and trust me it wasnt an overdose hehe I probably would have enjoyed the overdose.

Fail Fighter: thanks for the info!

Some strains of mold are virtually harmless, while others are so toxic they can actually kill a person (happened here in Vegas and was on the news). The problem is, there are so many different strains that they haven't even all been classified or named--well over 10,000--so you don't know what you're getting. Aflatoxin is a toxic mold that grows on peanuts and causes liver cancer; stachybotris is black "slimy" mold that grows in wet buildings and can cause everything from deafness to mycotoxicosis and death. Aspergillis can cause a lung condition called Aspergillosis, where an actual BALL of mold grows in the lungs, causing a person to cough up blood...Those are the worst, but there are many more.

Also, if you're like me and are allergic to mold, ANY type could make you very sick, whether ingested, inhaled, etc. Whether it's just sneezes and a runny nose or something more serious is determined by your immune system. There's lots of conflicting info about mold out there, so do your research and use your best judgment.

^ Good post. In fact most types of mold are harmless when consumed orally, some however can indeed be very very bad for you.

If in doubt chuck it out!

ive never been affected by moldy pods. i will never use them again though. thanks guys....

If you use distilled water, the PH will be lower (about 5.5 - 6 usually) and the pond scum/gunk will fall out of solution. If you have litmus paper lying around, add some lemon juice to the mix and get the PH between 4.5 and 5.

The distillation of water should actually bring the PH closer to 7.

The distillation of water should actually bring the PH closer to 7.

You bumped the thread for this?? Distilled water mixes with atmospheric carbon dioxide to form a weak carbonic acid solution which lowers the pH to ~5.5. Or maybe my digital pH meter and years of performing a/b extractions are just a figment of my imagination. 8)

You bumped the thread for this?? Distilled water mixes with atmospheric carbon dioxide to form a weak carbonic acid solution which lowers the pH to ~5.5. Or maybe my digital pH meter and years of performing a/b extractions are just a figment of my imagination. 8)

No need to get annoyed with me. It's just that I may hypothetically be doing something very involved with pods and need all the knowledge about such procedures and all their intricacies that I can get.

By the way, do you think the result of an acid-base extraction would be the same if you experimented with other NP solvents?