• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy Amanita Mushrooms Thread

They are in lots of places... pretty widespread in the northern hemisphere in places that have moderate temps or higher elevation zones.

In New England they are not hard to find growing in evergreen forests. Birch trees just happen to enjoy the same elevation zone that Amanita Muscaria likes, which seems to be 600-2000 feet above sea level or something like that.

Climb some small hills in areas where there are lots of evergreen trees.

I live in NJ and I see them ALL the time...I always thought they were pines trees for the most part they were growing around, but I guess I could have been wrong,. They are easy to spot, but I'd stick with the ones that look like smurf houses, or possibly orangish or yellowish with the same flaky white spots. Some amanitas are deadly as you probably know. Read up on them, I believe there is a noticable difference in the experience based upon what time of the year they are picked...and I think I read that heating them in tin foil over a grill or something converts the alkaloids inside to those that enduce a "better" experience. Most of what I have come to know about amanitas I have read off the internet. There's tons of info about them out there. Please do look at a good portion of it before you mess with picking them.

Yeah, seriously please do some research before picking a shroom and chowing one down. Amanita Panthernia (or something like that) looks similar to Muscaria but it's redder instead of orange/yellowish.

Personally I'd rather take a swig from the MDMA/booze/any-research-chemical-they-could-find water bottle I saw some dudes chillin' with at All Good (literally they were asking for random drugs to add to the mix lol) than eat a toadstool mushroom.

Yes, by all means be cautious with your picking and preparation, but don't forget set and setting either. It seems to me that most Bluelighters get very 'funny' about amanita muscaria. I do not doubt that many of them are very experienced with drugs. But I wouldn't be surprised if they ever accepted a chance to try them, they could ruin the set just by being so damn apprehensive about the mushroom they just consumed.

So, by all means be cautious etc. etc., but when all preparations are made and you actually eat the amanitas, concentrate on the experience itself rather than worry about whether you've done everything 'right'.

I'll never forget this one time my friends and I shared some amanitas with a guy we'd met a few months earlier. We were 100% sure that we had amanitas. We were 100% sure that we'd prepared them properly. What's more, we were all experienced at taking them, and set and setting were optimised. He knew all this, but when he actually ate the bloody things he couldn't relax, because all he could think about was all the gloom words of warning that people on forums like Bluelight would spout whenever the word 'amanita' was even uttered online.

Peace,
Black Octagon

There's this (rather intellectual) book by a guy called Allegro, who argues fairly convincingly that early Christianity and Early Judaism revolved around Soma. Which he thinks was Amnita.

The books called 'The Sacred Mushroom and The Cross'.

Personally they just made me feel a bit ill, but sounds like you saw the light.

peace.

Allegro was one of the translators who first worked on the Scrolls of the Dead Sea. As I understood, he's experience is one of this examples of the confrontation between scientific establishment and revolutionary points of view. His arguments are POTENTIALLY true, but no one wants to admit it and work on this basis, because if you don't accept the established scientific paradigm, you become a pariah......

The ratio of good reports to bad reports seems pretty high for this mushroom. It can be pretty amazing, but at the same time it can definately be a nightmare.

Is there any consistancy to the experience?

Hmm, i think it depends where the mushrooms come from. I picked some wild ones in Victoria (Australia) and they weren't all the special. Kind of like being stoned on 2-4 big mushrooms. And larger doses resulted in sickness and a sort of datura-esque hazyness to everything.

However, I've tried bought specimens from various countries and they're all a bit different, some of them produced very recreational trips and some of them produced zombie-like states with visual/auditary hallucinations. Some of them didn't do much at all.

At any rate, if you're going to try them, then see if you can suss out from someone who has had the same batch what they are like. And when trying some from new areas, I'd advise to start with a fairly low dose.

1 more thing, if you dry out the red skin and smoke it, it can be quite a lot like a nice MJ buzz.

There is information on JamesArthur.net (link above) on how to prepare them properly and how to get the most out of the experience

I read a bit of James Arthur but rapidly came to the conclusion that the guy was off his fucking nut. Sees some link between mushrooms and the fact that the atomic bomb makes a mushroom shaped cloud. Hmm...8(

I really wish I could convince you guys.

People kick over these beautiful mushrooms in parks or just walk past them every day and don't realise what it is they are in the presence of.

Arguably the most ancient and influential drug on the planet... but nobody seems to care any more.

It mite be the fact that you have to drink your own urine!

" This is the way to get at the full experience. It is most highly suggested that you recycle your urine because this is the high-magic alchemical process. Your body prepares the chemicals and separates them into your urine sop you can safely re-ingest them in a more potent state. You don't need to but you will need to consume more mushrooms if you don't and the mushrooms contain more of the Ibotenic acid which causes the uncomfortable and less desirable physical effects (sweating/nausea) whereas your body converts the Ibotenic acid to Muscimol which is that which produces the desirable effects. So if you can get over that old conditioning you will be the higher for it."

"Make sure you make water before your first cup, because the rest of your water you are going to re-ingest. Yes I mean the consumption of your urine. Don't worry it will not hurt you. In fact if your ill it will help your body fight off whatever ails you since all of the antibodies your immune system makes to fight off disease are filtered off into your urine (an intentional miraculous process). Besides you are a serious explorer aren't you? Remember, in the Christianity section, I said that Jesus said to the woman at the well, "If you knew who I was, you would ask me for waters to drink, for I would give you living waters" He was not kidding. It is an alchemical process even for those who are conditioned with repugnance to certain things. It is just an easier one to swallow if you are not fed a predisposition to abhor the idea. Just chase it with some Iced Tea you'll be fine. The post- alchemical-process material is much better, and worth the effort. After first passing water wait an hour before consuming any more source material. Do not waste your urine keep recycling until you achieve the proper effects." 8(

I'll Pass Too!
:\

Last edited by a moderator:
After having a positive experience with Fly Agaric, I convinced my girlfriend to try it, but she isn't as used to drug-related nausea and controlling it and is finding it difficult to keep from vomiting when she consumes it.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=224147&r=6

onz, my girlfriend was violently sick again - her third attempt at muscaria...
Maybe you should therefore consider not encouraging her to take them.

Your positive experience doesn't have to be shared by her or the other people who read these forums considering the obvious risk of unpleasent effects.

Oh no! Not another case of the Wasson-McKenna syndrome!!

It seems like mushrooms in general - and I don't know why, maybe its their peculiar shape - tend to make some people way too obsessed with them and think that everything in the world is based on mushrooms!

No offense, but I wouldn't go so far to preach about the wonders of Amanitas. There is some similarity between Amanitas and Nightshade/Datura, and although a few people think that tropanes are teh shiat, most seem to disagree.

I totally agree with Prufrock, who btw has a very cool nickname :D

Last edited:
As name removed at request of poster has been alluding to, muscimol is certainly one of the most under-appreciated psychoactive compounds in the world.

Most people accept and regurgitate the conventional wisdom - that the muscimol experience is INHERENTLY bad - like zombies in a trance. They literally need positive amanita experience reports like this this shoved in their faces in order for them to add the qualification that yes, some people have found this to be the most meaningful drug in the psychoactive rainbow.

Having said that, I agree that actively encouraging all people to just 'do' amanitas is going too far. The set and setting required for a meaningful muscimol trip are much more narrowly defined than the generic psychedelics like LSD or psilocybin. The user usually only gets anything out of it if he/she goes in with a clear sense of purpose.

You cannot deny the experience of others, but neither can you evaluate a drug solely on the experiences of the majority. Have the experience for yourself.

To the urine comment.

You don't have to drink your own urine. Simply toasting them in the oven will convert the chemicals safely. You pour the juice that comes out back over the mushroom.

Anyone preaching the need for drinking urine is somewhat unrealistic in todays society. It used to be done because the chemicals are converted in your body, and stay intact in urine. The upper class individuals in town would eat the mushrooms, the lower would then drink the pee and get the same effects. Yes, it's yucky, but it's not the society you were conditioned to. Stranger things have happened.

It's entirely possible to have amazing experiences with this. You needn't worry about liver failure. If you're picking cyanescens you've a much higher chance of slipping up and getting something poisonous (although no chance if you know your stuff, naturally) than with Amanita. There is no other mushroom you could mistake it for.

If he wants to preach about an amazing, often overlooked experience he just had, more power to him. He's just getting the word out that theres much potential. Obviously you guys can make your own decision.

I think mushrooms are something worth being obsessed about for some reason. But everyone is obsessed with something, and nearly everything has someone who is obsessed it. I agree that going as far to think that mushrooms in general are the parts that hold together history is a bit nutty though.

Something is not simply a wonderful drug because it's in a mushroom. Obviously, many will kill you. Muscimol has potential though. And I don't believe Wasson thought there was much to Muscaria.

Comparing Amanita to Datura is a bit off. They do have the common factor that the majority find them unpleasant, but in very different ways. Amanita users could find themselves in for a night of stomach problems, uncomfortable feelings, and disorientation. Datura users could find themselves temporarily blind, psychotic, delierious, harming others, or themselves. Yet there are 'responsible' ways to use datura too. It's a great too for shamans. That doesn't mean I'll ever try it.

Most people accept and regurgitate the conventional wisdom - that the muscimol experience is INHERENTLY bad - like zombies in a trance. They literally need positive amanita experience reports like this this shoved in their faces in order for them to add the qualification that yes, some people have found this to be the most meaningful drug in the psychoactive rainbow.

There was a series that was made by Channel 4 in the UK called 'Sacred Weeds', where they had people take various plant based drugs and were monitored by doctors, psychologists etc (generally one person experience in their use and another person taking it for the first time) to interpret the experience. One of the plant drugs was A. muscaria, and the two people taking it gave generally positive reports. It just seems that it's one of those drugs that only appeals to people seriously interested in states of conciousness, and not to the fun loving, hedonistic crowd (unlike say Psilocybe fungi).

The other plants explored were Blue Lily, henbane and S. divinorum (the experienced user in the salvia program was Daniel Seibert)

I prepared and ingested two caps of very dry aminta and had a really delerious trip.

I kept walking backwards and forwards to my t.v and lightswitch stuck in some sort of time loop unable to stop.

At various points of walking i was aware i was stuck in this loop but still couldnt stop.

The only thing i took from that drug, for me personally was, Bright Red= Bad Bad.

Anything very brightly colored in nature often is a signal for poison like tree frogs, snakes etc

Not pleasent and in my opinion it has nothing on a good mescaline/sanpedro trip.

Last edited:
Btw, any idea where I might find that series - 'Sacred Weed'?

Best place to investigate would be the website of the TV channel here in the UK that commissioned the series (www.channel4.co.uk). If you get no joy there, send me a PM and I'll see what I can dig out from what I know about the people who made it for Channel 4 (I'll have to watch the video again to get name of production firm).

If all else fails, I'll encode the program about A. muscaria as a wmv format video, chop it up into 10MB segments and send it to your e-mail address. The quality will not be that good, but as you're so interested in the drug, it'll be better than nothing

name removed at request of OP- yeah I agree I might have not went about it the perfect way but it just scared me enough to never pick them again.

You know they differ in affects depending on weather/climate, drying technique etc there really dicey.

Maybe because you like them a lot you could take them a few times work out a good drying method and post some kind of detailed report into your experiences with them and you may convince some people even me to give them another whirl?

The reason I bring up mescaline was you said amanita has a lot of history and one of the first drugs , same as mescaline it has a lot of history and in my opinion a superior psychedelic.

Did you find amanita very dissocative/delusional?

Did you even remember most of it? I sure as hell didnt.

After she witnessed my trip and listened to my explanation of what happened, I couldn't discourage her if I tried.

She, like me, doesn't matter if she's sick a couple of times for the sake of experimentation and expanding her mind.

But see, therein lies the problem.

I personally feel the same way about Ketamine that you do about Amanitas, and when I tell people who never tried it about my experiences with it, they really want to try it - and yet, I understand that there is a 50/50 chance that they will not get out of it what I got out of it.

It really depends on body chemistry, set and setting. In fact, it is not unlikely that one day you'll have a horrible experience with Amanitas and change your mind (though I hope this never happens - I'm glad to see that they made a positive change in your life :)).

Last edited:
I don't think so. I don't believe in the 'bad trip'. I think people regard some trips as bad because they aren't entirely recreational. I take the good and the bad happily and learn from it all.

Then you have obviously never had a bad trip, my friend :).

See it this way: Its like saying you don't believe in pain. If you define "pain" as something that is enjoyable, then by definition it is no longer pain. Same with bad trip - a bad trip is not a "non-recreational" trip. A bad trip is a trip that you get nothing but negative (and sometimes destructive and long-term) effects from. If a trip was difficult but you got something useful out of it, then it is no longer a bad trip.

Last edited: