• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Abilify + Recreational Drugs

kittyinthedark

Bluelight Crew
I was wondering if anyone knew what the interaction between Abilify (aripiprazole) and some common recreational drugs might be (ecstasy, shrooms, acid, etc). I'm having difficulty sorting through all the information online. I know it affects dopamine, but i've read that it's both a partial agonist and partial antagonist (both??) and that it works differently at different doses. Lord knows I'm not far enough along in my studies of neuroscience to have a clue, so anyone else out there got one?? :)

Abilify is one of those new anti-psychotics.(WTF are you doing with those anyway?)so I don't know a hell of a lot about it yet.I know it's supposed to have less side-effects than similar drugs.Let me check with my friend,he's a pharmacist and see he thinks.

bumptiy bump bump
im typing at a weird angle a am take abilify daily along with some recreational drugs
i'm on doc and adderall today
bump bump bump

As far as I can tell, it's a partial agonist of dopamine and serotonin receptors, so it would seem that it would lessen the recreational effects of coke, meth, ecstacy, etc.

can confirm the above. it has an off-label use for the treatment of bipolar manifesting as anxiety with depression. it supposes that anxiety is actually a form of mania.

i've never used it, but have seen it work remarkably well in others. totally inhibits the effects of the first two substances in the above list.

i dont know anything about abilify specifically, but if its anti-psychotic, you can forget about getting high. forget, also, about feeling much of anything.
that is, of course, ASSUMING its anything like the other anti psychotics, all of which i have been on at one time or another.
i have a sneeky feeling ive just made an ass out of myself

Does Abilify block these for anyone else...

...ketamine, cocaine, opiates?

Or is it just me?

I'm thinking of switching to Risperdal or something...

Since all drugs of abuse cause an increase in dopamine somewhere along the lines, I'm sure that this drug will cause a decrease in enjoyment of all drugs. Abilify is a unique drug (as far as on the marketr anti-psychs go) which is a partial agonist at the D2 (which makes me think it might be slightly psychoactive (not exactly recreational though)).

If you are bipolar or schizophrenic you should consider cutting back on poly drug abuse as it may worsen your symptoms. Just a thought.

Since all drugs of abuse cause an increase in dopamine somewhere along the lines, I'm sure that this drug will cause a decrease in enjoyment of all drugs. Abilify is a unique drug (as far as on the marketr anti-psychs go) which is a partial agonist at the D2 (which makes me think it might be slightly psychoactive (not exactly recreational though)).

If you are bipolar or schizophrenic you should consider cutting back on poly drug abuse as it may worsen your symptoms. Just a thought.

Nicely put.

^^ lol to that..

I haven't really searched around to much, I just took an interest in it.. & doesn't seem like many people know a whole lot about it.

It's a 5-HT2A antagonist so that would mute the effects of most psychedelics. It binds to the serotonin transporter, so that would mute the effects of MDMA. Abilify is a partial agonist at the dopamine D2 receptor, and since cocaine works by inhibiting the reuptake pumps of DA, NE, and 5-HT almost equally, I think cocaine would still work, but with less euphoria. Meth would probably still work too for the most part.

EDIT:
OMG this is an old thread...

lol yea exactly.. ^
Old thread.. I was just going through some shit on the search engine.. and came across a couple of these threads that I took interest in.. but seemed to have not turned up anything really interesting all at the same time.. or to helpful.. lol.. i guess.. so w/ that said.. 'bump'.

Why do you say it binds to SERT? I don't see this is true, but I'm not sure.

Actually I've heard its alot more complicated than that. I had a lecture this semester that went into how its not as simple as saying agonist + receptor = response. In fact, different agonists can bind to the same receptor and each cause a different intracellular response. This would explain incomplete cross-tolerance amonst opiates amongst other things. This is never the best source but it gives you a good idea of what I'm talking about LINK

If you are bipolar or schizophrenic you should consider cutting back on poly drug abuse as it may worsen your symptoms. Just a thought

Well put

I was on Abilify for about 8 months. It completely killed the mental effects of shrooms and acid (both taken in large quantities)--I only got a weird body feeling on the shrooms, and jitteriness on acid. I'm guessing it would do the same for serotonergic psychedelics, you'd get the physical effects but not the mental ones.

I've just realised thse threads are like 2 years old :/
Nothing wrong with bringing up an old thead but if you do so it should be to ask a question rather than trying to scatter bump a bunch of old topics