• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Abilify + Recreational Drugs

Dopaman said:
which is a partial agonist at the D2 (which makes me think it might be slightly psychoactive (not exactly recreational though)).

Expanding on what djsim said, it should also be noted that a lot of dopamine agonists tend to cause nausea and not have much recreational value. Ipecac comes to mind.

Yeah I know this is a dead thread.

I had not heard of this antipsychotic medication, thanks for the news. Even if it is 2 years old...

merging this into the other abilify interactions thread

It appears that at certain doses, Abilify actually increases the euphoria and other subjective effects of both methamphetamine and cocaine:

http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...2A926219D.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=2539236

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a904099318~db=all~jumptype=rss

From personal experience, having been on both Abilify and Adderall, I thought that Abilify was blocking the effects of the Adderall. But I was only on 5 mg of Abilify. I also don't know how much of this is just perception rather than reality. Like a placebo effect.

D2 and D3 receptor occupancy levels are high, with average levels ranging between ~71% at 2mg/day to ~96% at 40mg/day.

This means that none of your natural dopamine from ANY recreational drug will be hitting the receptors, so you will only get partial agonisation by the aripiprazole => less euphoria

Does anyone know how sedating this drug is? I'm looking for another sleep aid that will help with amphetamine comedowns. Do doctors prescribe this for insomnia at all, like Quel?
All I've seen of this drug is the commercial that *recommends * taking this drug with an AD to treat depression.

wow, this is interesting, yesterday i smoked speed for the first time sence i got on abilify, and pretty much the rush was zilch, but the actual high wass absolutely bliss, as well as lasting well over the standard dose of speed. i never really crashed either, i usualy get terrible speed crashes, i even slept.

Well I don't know what most of you who haven't taken it are talking about...I use cocaine and amphetamines on a regular basis. Taking abilify for about a month now has shown me that it has zero effect on the high of either. If anything it increases it.

I was at one time on Abilify. Fuck that shit. Can't get high on anything while that stuff is in your system. Not to mention it plain and simple made me feel sick as hell. I switched to something else, b/c I hated it. Fuck Abilify, fuck Zyprexa, and fuck Risperdal.

I've been on 60mg Abilify for about 2 months (30mg twice daily). I took a pill a few weeks ago which did absolutely nothing, so this time I didn't take any abilify for 36 hours before dropping, double dropped and god a reasonably good role - although it was a VERY scattered role, more so than usual, conversation was a little difficult. So it IS possible to roll on Abilify but it seems you need a few days off prior and double dropping is a good idea. Thought this might be important information for anyone wondering as to whether Abilify blocks MDMA or not.

WarChild

I apologize for bringing back an old thread (but if we have to UTSE, it must be for this, no?), but I'm planning on taking tomorrow my weekly recreational intake of methadone, benzos and hydroxyzine. Now I've done this combo a lot, so I know the doses and what I'm "playing" with.

But I happen to take 5mg of Abilify since 10 days or so, and I wanted to know if it can ruin my high. I'm talking about opioids and downers, and all the questions above were for uppers/psychedelics. I don't want to waste some good drugs, but more importantly I don't want to die from an overdose.

What I do know about Abilify is that it regulates levels of dopamine in the brain, ie. it lowers them when they're too high, and it increases them when they're too low. That's all I know about this drug. Well, I also know that the first time I took it I puked it because I took 10mg (not the 5mg I'm taking now) on an empty stomach.

Anyway, I'd love to have an answer, as I'm planning on taking the combo tomorrow. Please no moralizing ones, thanks ;)

edit: I was thinking, nicotine works on dopamine, and i enjoy my cigarettes the same as before Abilify, so...

Last edited:
My gf is on 10mg a day of Abilify.
She doesn't ever use methadone in particular just low dose hydro or oxy.
She says she hasn't noticed much of a difference in terms of the Abilify messing with the opiate effects from those though.
She is on clonazepam .5mg two or three times a day, so she doesn't really get a "buzz" off them or anything.
She says that she didn't notice a difference in there effects after adding Abilify.
Just to clarify she was on clonazepam prior to adding Abilify to her medication regimen.
As for anti-histamines such as hydroxyzine she doesn't take any anti-histamines at all so can't help with that. :\
She does find that it does have a sedating effect on her.
So it may increase cns depression, especially when combined with other cns depressants.
Anyways, sorry if all the answers were not 100% specific to the substances you mentioned.
However, seeing as there in the same category, I figured it might be helpful.
Hope it's of use.

Great, thanks a lot IndustrialStrength, that's all I wanted to know ;)

I'll keep you informed tomorrow. Thanks again ;)

be very careful with the combo Amphetamines + abilify.
My roommate was on Mephedrone (1-2g per day) and low doses of abilify. He ended his binge in psychiatric hospital.

Actually, abilify helped him for the comedown at first. But when he increase the daily dose of mephedrone at 3-4g, he left in a "deliriant / anticholinergic-like" dream.

With speaking with false people. With Smoking false cigs. With touching the walls. with speaking an other language...

So, be careful with the combo of Dopaminergics activators + dopamingergics regularos.

Oh I wanted to add that Abilify doesn't calm me down or speed me up. All in all, maybe a very little speeding effect, but that's all. I'll see when I'm on 10mg next week or so.

Ok, so I took a little less than my usual methadone recreational dose, 40mg instead of 60mg, added 100mg of hydroxyzine, 1.5mg of clonazepam and 1.5mg of alprazolam (I don't have a benzo tolerance, well maybe a very little one).

So the buzz came after two hours, as usual, but maybe a little milder than without my Abilify intake. It was still enjoyable, but I chose to be on the safe side and dose accordingly, so it was a little less intense. I can say now that Abilify doesn't alter regular opioid and benzo intake. Good news :)

*bump*

I'm also very interested in how Abilify affects rec drugs, and psychedelics in particular. Does anyone have any personal experience with combining Abilify with a serotonergic psych?

Another question: How safe and effective would it be to cut off Abilify for 2-3 days to take a psych? Is this a bad idea? ;)

I soooo remember the doctor asking me to add this to my ssri I was taking a while back.... He couldn't explain to me at all how Abilify worked... just "TAKE IT," he said..... Fuck'n poison....