• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Abilify + Recreational Drugs

The truth is always in the middle, man. Nothing is totally black or white. The fact is Abilify is a drug and some people don't respond well to it. That's life. Now I agree that each time a new drug appears on the market, it is seen as a miracle drug or an evil one. I'm personnally beginning Abilify, and I have high hopes in it. Why? Because my life is so messed up and maybe I refused till then to see the truth.

Anyway, the only thing that I don't like (as of today) with Abilify is that it's bloody expensive.

Dam expensive and worthless IMO!!! If your gona get hooked on Abilify and SSRI's and become completely physically, mentally, emotionally dependant on them much like HEROIN, OPIATES, CRACK, whatever the fuck.... IMO bro.... why no try this new effective combo of 1mg of bupe with tramadol? No matter what, your gona have to taper off all the drugs the phych doc gives you, your gona have withdrawl if you can't afford your abilify after taking it for a month or two everyday. I don't know your history man, and I'm probably far off right now cause I didnt read this post, but IMO Abilify was Abili-lie. If you are somewhat psychotic and dangerous to yourself or other or whatever fuck the reason is, if your really that fucked right now, then I guess give it try.... I dunno, that drug didn't do a god dam thing for me and I was on it for months.....

I wanted to add that 4 days after having binged (sp?) hard on methadone (I'm a MMT patient, so that means upping the methadone dose) with a cocktail of my usual benzos and hydroxyzine, I had the worst constipation I ever had. I think this is because i'm taking Abilify too (it's been two weeks since I'm taking it).

I know methadone can cause in itself severe constipation, and that is the case with me. But I did this combo (done + benzos + hydroxyzine) a lot of times without too much pain when going to the toilet, but this time, with the addition of Abilify, shit hit the fan, pun intended. So no more extras for me, the end :|

Maybe that's better like that. Oh, a little disclaimer: if you do combine benzos with methadone, you better know what you're doing, or you could die, so beware ;)

With shrooms, I think I just had to take a lot, which I probably would have anyway.
With ecstacy it didn't seem to change anything, possibly less effective though.
With meth i was less jitterey.
With weed it didn't really change anything, maybe less effective. But i always get paranoid so i don't really smoke it often. Most people on abilify probably would get paranoid, but not because of the med but more because of the reasons they are on the med.
With opiates it was always fun and I had a tolerance so its hard to say.

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but i want to hear from some sure experienced users whether or not Abilify (aripiprazole) negates the effects of Molly (pure MDMA). This is purely a knowledge based curiosity. Please respond as soon as possible.

Well I know this is necro'd but I'll give a comment anyway.

It usually takes me huge amounts of ecstasy to roll, but last weekend was the first time while on Abilify. I wound up taking, say, 500-600mg of MDMA and was not rolling very hard. I would say the effects were muted. Mind you I have no built up tolerance.

Abunkify...tell yer' Dr. you need to add it to your depression meds' today, because you dont want to crack yer' nut for good, especially during those wonderful holidays, when the "Big Pharm" CEO's get one of their $1,0000 bonus checks of the year.

For anyone that has been on Abilify for a period of time, did it cause weight gain? Or hair loss? I googled and alot of people are losing their hair from this stuff. I was prescribed this for anxiety off label and I don't know if I am going to fill it. I may just try exercise, deep breathing, meditation and inositol powder which I am told is just as effective as a SSRI. I ont know WTH to try at this point

I do not trust BIG PHARMA!!! I have to wonder if the reason they wont prescribe benzos is they are cheap and they cant make a fortune off them

you wouldn't want to take an antipsychotic before taking a psychedelic. When it was legal to sell and market it, Sandoz made ads for LSD-25. The ads always advised for the antipsychotic Thorazine injection, to be used in the case of what is basically a bad trip. I wouldn't have any antipsychotic in my system, but if you have a mental illness, I'd advise having Abilify handy and instruct someone you trust to help you to take the pills if you appear troubled at all. Abilify will cancel out the effects of the psychedelic.

It appears that at certain doses, Abilify actually increases the euphoria and other subjective effects of both methamphetamine and cocaine:

http://journals.cambridge.org/actio...2A926219D.tomcat1?fromPage=online&aid=2539236

http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a904099318~db=all~jumptype=rss

From personal experience, having been on both Abilify and Adderall, I thought that Abilify was blocking the effects of the Adderall. But I was only on 5 mg of Abilify. I also don't know how much of this is just perception rather than reality. Like a placebo effect.

Interesting. It goes to show that the uniqueness of one's biochemistry always leaves a question. At 5mg (dose was never discussed in earlier posts - a significant factor) I find average (40mg/day) amphetamine doses are enhanced. I've read in passing that Abilify is selective and I don't believe it's too competitive (or it would induce mania in most at higher doses whereas it does the opposite most of the time).

Coke blew my mind every time since Abilify. I don't even like it. Ringringringringring8(

edit:

Does anyone know how sedating this drug is? I'm looking for another sleep aid that will help with amphetamine comedowns. Do doctors prescribe this for insomnia at all, like Quel?
All I've seen of this drug is the commercial that *recommends * taking this drug with an AD to treat depression.

My doctor said, and I'd agree, that it's fairly 'activating' - but then again I'm taking it as a depression-related adjunct so maybe it's giving me more dopamine than usual.

wow, this is interesting, yesterday i smoked speed for the first time sence i got on abilify, and pretty much the rush was zilch, but the actual high wass absolutely bliss, as well as lasting well over the standard dose of speed. i never really crashed either, i usualy get terrible speed crashes, i even slept.

My experience as well. It smooths stimulants out considerably. I actually picked up smoking. I intend to stop but.. Abilify's effects are strongly determinant on the individual and the dose.. and the Dx.

Last edited:
I know this is a very old thread.. I am wondering... 10 years later if anyone has anything to add to this discussion regarding Abilify and other recreational drugs. MDMA and mushrooms specifically? I have bipolar, ADD, anxiety and am on lamotrigine (200mg), vyvannse (40mg) and now abilify (super low dose 2mg). also supposed to be taking trazodone to help w sleep (abilify did not help with that at all)... I have yet to take the trazodone. Im sticking w lorazepam right now. I want to roll in a couple weeks.. I am wondering how much the abilify will affect my high, I already feel like I have to take a bit of a larger dose because of the lamotrigine, but I've been reading abilify can cancel your high completely, which has actually been the reason I have been oppostitional to taking it since they first prescribed it a year ago. I recently realized it's probably not worth not trying as I only roll about twice a year these days (it's just not worth it anymore, the tuesday blues last a lot longer than tuesday). A far cry from 10years ago!. At what dose would it detrimentally affect the ability to get high? How many days before should I stop the med (just the abilify, I would not stop them all)..
I am hoping since this thread is so old, perhaps someone with a lot of experience may be able to answer my questions.

I take a shot of 400mg Abilify each month and I haven't had any trouble rolling MDMA or tripping with LSD.