• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bedbugs - MEGAMERGED - vs. tell these pests to gtfo

fairnymph said:
Oh, and I found out how they got into the building -- via the evil fucking dirty Brazilians downstairs (no offense to Brazilians).

Yes, I'm sure a Brazilian wouldn't take offense to that statement :\

^LOL!!! Fucking nasty ass Brazilians.But I love you Brazilians...;) HAHA!!Great!

Oh fuck me!!! This is a disgusting thread. I'm so sorry to hear that you've had to put up with this. Glad to hear that you've managed to sort it out.

I'm bumping this thread because I think I have a similar problem. :(

My building (large 5 story apartment building in downtown San Francisco) has been known to have bedbug infestation in the past. The management has brought Terminix around to check every couple months, and my bed, etc have tested negative each time.

But then I found what I thought was one crawling on my partner's pillow the other day - it looked just like the ones in the pic and when he killed it a whole bunch of blood came out. 8( I've been getting bitten, but I thought it was mosquitoes as they LOVE me, probably as much as they love FN! They look just like mosquito bites. So far, no scarring and I probably have 15 or so, all on my ankles and arms.

My partner has not been bitten ONCE. Bastid.

And what's worse is I live in one of the better neighborhoods around here (though close to a bad one, and there are about 5 older hotels/pensiones on my block alone).

There are a few blood spots on our sheets, but he has a tendency to pick his skin in his sleep.

I am cleaning the house FROM TOP TO BOTTOM tonight and tomorrow night (damn this having to work crap) and then having an exterminator come in. I have no doubt management will be cooperative - we have a new manager who's a tweaker so it should get done rather quickly :D

My building is a mix of young professionals and elderly who live under rent control, but a lot of the maintenance people who don't even speak English and have like 10 people living in a studio are there as well. I've seen blood spotted mattresses just left in the trash rooms, and I think that's how they got to my floor.

FUCKING PIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HATE SAN FRANCISCO SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

I can't move for at least another 6-8 weeks because of money issues. I can't really go stay with anyone, my dad lives 1/2 hour away, my office is 5 minutes away from home, and my panic disorder's back in all its glory so I can't commute.

*itches* I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to get that cream. Does anyone knows what it's called?

And, no, I'm not above obtaining some DDT to deal with it myself.

Terminix made the bedbugs worse in our case, and they even had the fucking nerve to say we didnt have them, despite me showing them an actual fucking bedbug.

I have ZERO faith in that company.

And, as you will recall, they almost never bit Ryan -- only me and other females in the building. If the building has ever had bedbugs, I would certainly be extremely wary.

My bites were just like mosquito bites as well.

Let me know what helps or if you need anything, mariposa.

We've had them for over five years. I first noticed them around 2000. I probably picked them up from staying in a Bed & Breakfast somewhere. We've tried pesticides, rubbing in bleach into infested areas (the wood frame of the bed, around the edges of the carpet, the tufts of the mattress and along the edges/crevices, etc. We are both pack rats and have an expensive bed so we don't want to throw things away.

We know that we will realistically never get rid of them completely; but we use a steam cleaner which seems to keep them under control. I have noticed that they seem to like the wooden framed base of our bed even more than the mattresses, though they probably live inside them too. I have also noticed that they don't go into bedding that is constantly handled and used, such as my favourite feather pillow; they instead go into bedding that isn't being used for some reason, perhaps because their eggs can more easily hatch by not being disturbed.

At first, I felt so embarressed, as there used to be such a stigma in having them; I associated them with poor white trash! But now that we understand the problem better, we don't find them that much of a nuisance, especially as we realise that they don't spread disease. The bites are no big deal -- mosquito bites are far worse! I would personally find having cockroaches and mice far more disgusting.

There is also no way in Heaven that I could tolerate sleeping on a plastic covered mattress and pillow. It would be horrible. The main thing is to not panic but keep on top of the problem. They are much more active during the summer because they like the warm/hot weather. In winter, we hardly notice them. I usually take the bed frame apart about once every four months and really steam everything which probably gets rid of about 90% of them so it doesn't get out of hand.

It was at its worst around three years ago but with regular steaming and vacuuming, it's a manageable problem. Of course the professionals won't tell you this, or the lawyers!

Last edited:
Steaming is the best way to control them, for sure, but in my case, even controlling the situation was simply not enough, as I was so violently allergic to the bites -- they were MUCH worse than mosquito bites. Plus, I was developing a psychosis regarding them...

Ugh... you know what? This thread gives me the eebie-jeebies. Every time someone mentions infestations of bedbugs in conversation... this thread always springs to mind. As a thread, it's managed to dig it's way into my mind and stay there.

Kinda like that scene in the "Wrath of Kahn". :(

^agreed. For sure they are creepy.

We haven't seen another one (please Jah let this continue) since my partner killed that one.

No new bites last night.

We spent the whole day cleaning the apartment, top to bottom, to make it easy on the exterminators which are coming next week.

We vacuumed the boxspring, which showed no signs of infestation. We vacuumed the whole floor and examined the mattress - also looks good.

We checked the filter and vacuum receptacle thing (it's bagless). No dead bedbugs - and I was VERY thorough.

I treated the bed frame (metal, basic, no headboard) with pyrethrin (sp) it was some kind of Raid Extra Strength shit. Obviously DDT is a bit tough to get. ;) My partner also lightly treated the whole house, and I'm about to treat just outside the door.

Washed the sheets, blanket, bedskirt, EVERYTHING - in hot, hot water, and put them on the highest dryer setting.

But there were some ASSHOLES who packed the trash room on my floor full of all the shit they didn't want to move. No mattresses or linens, but just junk, junk, junk. FUCKING PIGS.

And someone threw out a mattress and boxspring 3 floors below me. I examined it and it did not look infested.

WTF is with people???

The good news:

-near-spotless house (all I have to do is dust tomorrow);
-my doctor said they are annoying but benign compared to rats, mosquitoes or roaches;
-no new bites (so far); and
-none seen since the only one I saw.

The bad news:

-My house is full of pyrethrin (sp);
-I still have to have someone come in to deal with this which will inconvenience me, my partner or a friend who I trust to deal with management (I can't take any time off work right now); and
-I met a couple with a baby in my building (who live on the basement floor) who got an infestation just after their little one was born, and had to go to a hotel for 5 days (paid for by the landlord) because the infestation was so bad... but this was last year and they had a secondhand bed from someone else in the building (BIG NO-NO IN INFESTED BUILDINGS - BUY OR BRING YOUR OWN CLEAN SHIT).

I really hope we caught it in time. Until the exterminator comes, we did absolutely everything we could.

If there are any of these fuckers left, they're going DOWN. And I am insisting on the whole building being checked and preventively treated, in addition to my mattress and anything else being EXTENSIVELY treated.

I will beat these fuckers! :D

A tried and proven way to get bedbugs out of mattreses, take them outside and pour boiling water on them.

I got them last week at a hotel. It was so itchy I had to sleep on a towel on the floor.

mariposa420 said:
I really hope we caught it in time. Until the exterminator comes, we did absolutely everything we could.

If there are any of these fuckers left, they're going DOWN. And I am insisting on the whole building being checked and preventively treated, in addition to my mattress and anything else being EXTENSIVELY treated.

I will beat these fuckers! :D

Update:

I have seen ONE more, have about ~5 bites on my arm.

I'm staying at my dad's (sans infested clothes) today and tomorrow.

Terminix can't get there for 3 more days. I live under a sublease which can end at any time with 30 days notice, but the new management seems to have dropped the ball.

We found one more. That was all. We killed it and put it in a baggie to show Terminix when they come.

I am healing and not scarring, and my doctor said she'd give me steroids and heavy antihistamines if it got any worse. So far so good, but that's (part of) why I'm staying at my dad's. And I can't use any perfumed lotions.

I'm not finding bites any other places than around my wrists and ankles and haven't in a couple days.

I have treated my home with strong pesticides and also the manager offered the suggestion to put a small bowl filled with water and detergent type soap (I suppose it smells good to them) under my bed. It's only caught a male mosquito so far. But I've had to lay off all scented lotions and perfumes in favor of Calendula gel (a homeopathic remedy). Not one bite since then.

I am not scarring but they make me so MAD.

Some asshole down my block (next building over) threw out a mattress with an obvious infestation.

Tylerdurden - They are steaming my mattress Wednesday. I can't take it outside as I live in San Francisco which is full of piss and used condoms. I bought a new vacuum for this with replacement HEPA filters. So far, so good. But I'm at my dad's till tomorrow (not infested) so I am doing it again then.

They seem to HATE the calendula. I was also told to eat garlic, loads of cloves at a time, but I have tummy issues for other reasons! I love garlic so I'll do the best I can.

Wiki entry : GROSSOUT WARNING : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbug

Dtergent - WASH EVERYTHING YOU HAVE IMMEDIATELY IN THE HOTTEST WATER YOU CAN GET! It WILL kill them. Steam your bags if you can. The fuckers are relentless.

*bangs head*

I feel itchy just reading this. Last week I had about 10 little red itchy raised bumps in a cluster on the back of my arm and 4-6 more on my shoulder. They did not look like mosquito bites. Cripes, I hope we don't have bed bugs. I vacuum my mattress and crevices around my bed frame as part of cleaning the bedroom. We
have 2 indoor cats. They do not have fleas.

Update (8/2/06):

I went to Tahoe National Forest camping this past weekend. I got ONE mosquito bite. Then I came home and got at least 8-10 bedbug bites. FUCK THAT NOISE.

I'm on a sublease. The issue has been brought to the attention to my landlady and to the management company.

My landlady has called management twice in the past 2 days, and I have called 4 times. (My landlady and I are friends.)

I'm fucking outta here as of the 30th regardless and we're giving notice to that effect. I can afford to move then - FINALLY. I have to throw out my bed (consciously, without spreading this to the neighbors - looking for a vendor that can take care of that).

I am still furious and the welts are getting bigger. I go camping for 3 days 5 hours from BFE, and I don't get bit. I get home, and I'm eaten alive by fucking bedbugs. :X

I'm reporting these shitheads to the Better Business Bureau the second I secure a new place and wash all the shit we're taking there. I cannot remember the last time I was this angry.

:X :X :X

Oh man... best wishes sweetie.

24.gif

i had bedbugs at my old place, the bites were horrendous and really painful. we sprayed the mattress and frame a few times. once we moved we got a few again and sprayed and havent gotten them again. what a terrible nightmare. i just shudder thinking about them. good luck hun!