• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bedbugs - MEGAMERGED - vs. tell these pests to gtfo

Holy shit, girl. I can't believe you're still dealing with this problem :(

I'm guessing that since you said originally that your entire building was infested, that remains true now as well? I really think this is something you need to take charge of, as far as getting others behind you and organizing every possible tenant to put their rent into escrow from now on, so that the landlord can't get paid until this gets resolved. Is that something anyone in your building has considered?

I have no idea how much an exterminator costs but I would be willing to drop whatever it took if my home were infested; that's really disgusting. And I think that Orkin and the other big companies have some kind of guarantee. Do you tell your friends about it when you have guests over? I think it would be pretty unethical not to.

Take care of it! Get orkin and spread the word to ALL other peeps in the building it worked. Seriously it sounds like its getting out of hand. I would be staying at a friends untill I had the $$$ to pay for Orkin. I dont know if I could sleep knowing those things were going to crawl on me all night. SICK!

my orkin contract (which i still have to this day) was $100 on the first visit and they come every other month for $75...i had/have a one year contract, now it's just bi-month to bi-month

I think I'm scarring too, unfortunately.

I talked to the landlord today. Apparently the people downstairs have had an improvement -- still some bites but noticeably better -- since the lady sprayed last week. However, as I said and as I told our landlord, it's only gotten worse for us -- there has been NO improvement since she has sprayed.

In fact, I have seen 2 bedbugs crawling out in the open in the bright light across our pillows since she sprayed!

I don't know where this 'bedbugs don't like light' thing came from -- these guys don't give a fuck about light.

Daisy, thanks for the cream rec.

I pressed the landlord to contact Orkin but he didn't seem very into the idea having spent $1000 + already on the crappy Terminex lady. But I reiterated that I have seen NO IMPROVEMENT, instead only WORSENING, with her spraying. It sounds like he will have her come again sometime this week, if THAT doesn't lead to improvement, I'm going to demand Orkin and withold rent if he refuses.

You should start using the law wording around him....scare him, who cares.

there is laws to protect you julia, no need to be living like this seriously!!!

Yeah, I woudl assume the law would be on your side if you chose to withhold rent for the amount that you have spent on fixing the problem. keep your receipts. call a lawyer. I have called lawyers a handful of times the past few years and they are always friendly and give me free advice on the phone.

fairnymph said:
It sounds like he will have her come again sometime this week, if THAT doesn't lead to improvement, I'm going to demand Orkin and withold rent if he refuses.

Don't withold rent; you'll be the one at fault if you stop paying rent without following the proper legal guidelines.

Here's some Rent Escrow information from a website in Maryland. I own a rental house in Ohio, and the info seems pretty standard on a state-to-state comparison:

What Is Rent Escrow?

Rent escrow is a legal action that can be brought by tenants to make landlords repair dangerous conditions in their rental housing. This legal action allows you as a tenant to pay your rent into an account set up by the court, instead of to your landlord, until your landlord repairs the dangerous conditions. The account is called a "rent escrow" account.

As a tenant, you have the right to live in housing that is not dangerous to the life, health or safety of you or your family. This pamphlet describes how the rent escrow law can help you if you live in housing having dangerous conditions that your landlord does not repair.

Types of Housing Conditions Covered by the Rent Escrow Law

The rent escrow law can be used to fix conditions in your rental housing that cause a fire hazard or are a serious threat to your life, health or safety. Examples of some of the conditions normally covered are:

lack of heat, light, electricity or running water (unless they were due to your not paying your own utility bills);
lack of adequate sewage disposal (bad bathroom plumbing);
rat and mice infestation;
structural defects (holes in walls or roofs that allow entry of wind and/or water;
any other condition that presents a health or fire hazard; or
lead paint inside the home.
The rent escrow law does not cover minor defects or conditions that are not dangerous to your life, safety or health. Examples of some conditions that are normally not covered by the rent escrow law are:

lack of fresh paint, rugs or carpeting;
small cracks in the walls, floors or ceilings; or
absence of tile on the floors, if the floors are otherwise structurally sound;
lack of air conditioning.
Before Using the Rent Escrow Law

Before you may go to court, your landlord must know about the dangerous conditions. The best way to let your landlord know is to send a letter by certified mail listing every dangerous condition in the home and asking for repairs to those conditions. You should keep a copy of the letter and the certified mail receipt.

You may also use the rent escrow law in court if your landlord actually knows about the dangerous conditions by your telling the landlord about the conditions, by your landlord seeing the conditions, or by your landlord being cited for building code violations by the local government inspectors.

Once your landlord knows about the dangerous conditions, he/she has a "reasonable" amount of time to make repairs. In general, the law gives the landlord 30 days to make the repairs. However, a shorter period of time may be allowed if the conditions are very severe (such as no heat, water or electricity).

Using the Rent Escrow Law

If your landlord has not repaired the dangerous conditions within a reasonable time after knowing about the conditions, then you may use the rent escrow law in court. There are two ways to use the rent escrow law:

You may file a rent escrow lawsuit in the district court of the county or city where you live. The court will then schedule a hearing in the case; or
You may stop paying rent when your landlord does not make necessary repairs. Then you may use the rent escrow law to defend yourself in court if your landlord sues you for not paying the rent. When you appear in court, you must explain to the judge why you did not pay the rent and ask the judge to set up a rent escrow account until the dangerous conditions in your home are repaired.
No matter which way you choose to use the rent escrow law, you must bring with you to court all rent that you owe as of the date of the hearing.

Getting a Rent Escrow Order

Once you go to court, you must prove that: 1) there are conditions that are a danger to life, safety or health; 2) your landlord knew that those conditions existed; and 3) your landlord had a chance to make the necessary repairs but did not do so.

Your landlord can try to keep the court from issuing a rent escrow order by proving that: 1) you caused the dangerous conditions; 2) you would not allow reasonable entry into your home to make repairs; or 3) the court has entered more than three court judgments within the past 12 months for not paying your rent.

If the judge decides to set up a rent escrow account, you must immediately pay to the court all rent due as of that day. You must then continue to pay your rent into the court escrow account each month on the day rent is normally due. The law allows a court to lower the amount of rent you must pay each month if the conditions in the home are very serious. You must ask the judge to do this at the hearing.

Stopping the Rent Escrow Account

Under the law, a rent escrow account may be stopped if:

You miss a rent payment to the court escrow account; or
Your landlord makes all of the repairs that the court decided were necessary.
The court may also give out some or all of the money in rent escrow, without stopping the account, under certain conditions, such as:

Money may be given to you, your landlord, or another person to make the needed repairs; or
If, after 6 months, your landlord has not made a good faith attempt to make repairs, the money collected in the account may be given to you.
Getting Legal Advice

If there are dangerous or unhealthy conditions in the home you rent, you may want to talk to an attorney about your legal rights. You may be eligible for free legal services from the Legal Aid Bureau, a law school clinic, or a "pro bono" program.

In Montgomery County and Baltimore City there are local laws on rent escrow that give tenants certain additional protections. If you live in Montgomery County or Baltimore City and would like more information on rent escrow, contact the Legal Aid Bureau or another attorney.

Remember: The law often changes. Each case is different. This pamphlet is meant to give you general information and not to give you specific legal advice.

For further information and other office locations in Maryland, contact:

Legal Aid Bureau, Inc.
500 East Lexington Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
(410) 539-5340

Go to a hardware store the sells gardening products and buy seven dust it usually used out side and buy this spray online http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/SPEC/pick-konktoo.htm

Spread the dust all over the floor and vacuume every other day, dont forget to change the bag as well. If you bed is on the floor get a new bed. Also check the cloth window drapes cause they live there as well. PM me I can give you more info. I beat these fuckers a year ago. No over the counter bug sprays have the active ingredient needed to kill bed bugs. its just a waste of time.

im pretty sure it has been fairly taken care of. if i remember correctly what i read in her journal.

yuck. I had a dream that I caught f.n.'s bedbugs a few nights ago. It was awful. There was one on the toilet seat, and I flicked it into the water. Thank god it was just a dream!

I'm so sorry you're going through this. What at nightmare!

Has Orkin been able to do anything for you?

No pest control was able to do anything for me -- except make the problem worse. DDT completely got rid of them and quickly too -- after one application.

Oh, and I found out how they got into the building -- via the evil fucking dirty Brazilians downstairs (no offense to Brazilians).