• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bedbugs - MEGAMERGED - vs. tell these pests to gtfo

fairnymph said:
I live in an apt. We have been complaining to the landlord but he's kind of a cheapskate asshole.

We can't afford to move.
Sorry to hear.

I'm pretty sure I posted this product before:

Diatomaceous earth

For Bedbugs: Take apart bed and dust joints and channels. Dust any hollow tubing and the interior framework as well as the mattress and all cracks in the room.

Strip the bed, vacuum the hell out of the mattress and frame with bare hose or with narrowest attachment. Apply Diatomaceous earth. Get a fitted plastic/waterproof mattress pad (probably 10 bucks at Wally's). Wash bedding (preferably in hot water), preferably weekly.

what a disgusting problem. i couldn't imagine. I woke up with a roach on my foot in bed one night, and slept in my guest room for 4 months after that. I can't stand bugs, to an extreme.

Diotamaceous earth is fucking magic, no doubt. you can use it on your pets too. i use it in my lawn, in my pool, on my dogs and cats....it is like tiny shards of glass that simply cut up and kill tiny bugs. neat stuff. sprinkle it EVERYWHERE

What are those tiny shards like if they become airborn when you change the linens and you inhale them? That sounds awful for your lungs (and your pets as well) :(

is it really safe?

oh shit!, i was gettin fuckin chills when i saw bedbugs i be thinkin i get a bite everynow and then but it normally when i been on some kind of stimulant and im just trippin, cuz i can't see nothin.

But i feel for you, this is gonna sound ghetto as shit prolly but what about smokin them out ? take your mattresses to somewhere you can light a fire and hold the mattress right over the smoke with some wood or something (far enough away it won't burn), use a small fire with all leafs so its alot of smoke but not a steady flame. might take along ass time, but can't really think of anything else if bug sprays ain't workin. mattresses will smell like smoke for a minute unless you clean em good as shit too, not a real good idea.. but its a idea, good luck with em tho.

uh, to the people suggesting the use of Diatomaceous earth, I think you've probably got your products mixed up.

Diatomaceous earth causes cancer of the lungs, there is no way in fuck you'd be giving it to your cat or dog, let along sprinkling the shit around your house.

keystroke said:
uh, to the people suggesting the use of Diatomaceous earth, I think you've probably got your products mixed up.

Diatomaceous earth causes cancer of the lungs, there is no way in fuck you'd be giving it to your cat or dog, let along sprinkling the shit around your house.
You will note that

1) I did not suggest "giving it to your cat or dog, let along sprinkling the shit around your house"
2) There are different grades of Diatomaceous earth, each specific to its intended purpose of use

I suggested applying the correct grade to the vacuumed mattress and to the bed frame. I then, as a precautionary measure, suggested enclosing the treated mattress in a fitted waterproof mattress pad. Even without the precautionary measures, your exposure levels to the correct grade of Diatomaceous earth will not pose any significant risks to your health. You would probably get cancer of the lung sooner from car exhaust fumes in your daily travels, than from breathing in this stuff while mining it, let alone from the small quantities used at home.

I think before you spread any more unwarranted panic about the product, you should maybe refer us to the cases of cancer caused by Diatomaceous earth through regular household use.

"There is limited and conflicting evidence regarding the exposure-response relationship between exposure to crystalline silica and silicosis" - National Library of Medicine (and that's while mining it, i.e. major exposure)

Any studies you find of risk associated with the product will be on Silicosis Risk in the Diatomaceous Earth Industry, key word there being industry, i.e. mining. Regular household use is reportedly safe. Add to that - absolutely NOTHING comes close to being as effective on creepy crawly pests as Diatomaceous earth. Well, actually there are more effective products, but they would probably kill you along with the pests.

Just so there is no more panic because Darthmom mentioned "tiny shards of glass" - she was using an analogy. The actual product...

Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring substance comprised of the fossilized remains of diatoms. Diatoms are microscopic sized hard shelled creatures found in both marine and fresh waters. The diatom shells are covered in sharp spines that make them dangerous to exoskeletal insects, but not to animals with internal skeletons. The spines of the diatom skeletons pierce the soft body tissues of insects between their hard exoskeletal plates and it is through these numerous microscopic wounds that the insect loses bodily moisture to the point of desiccating and dying. Creatures with internal skeletons such as humans, cattle and pets have means of resisting such damage and are not harmed.

Please, keystroke, the next time you make such strong statements, at least back them up with a source link. That's the least we can expect, especially from a moderator.

Last edited:
Thanks silly alien, and keystroke, breathing anything in excess is dangerous. I make the mistake of assuming a small amount of common sense would be taken, I do apologize. No you dont wanna sniff the hell out of the cloud as you dump it around: mix into a spray bottle, and you eliminate that in entirety....as it dries it's properties return. I in fact am quite comfortable, and in fact very confident this is much safer than any of the shit the chemical companies have produced...would prefer to use this over anything else BECAUSE I care about the safety of my family and my animals.

Research it...the shit is as safe as can be used responsibly. A miracle product indeed. Gotta love mother nature.

While I have done no research - I just want to point out that thinking "anything the chemical companies have produced" is going to be safer than something naturally occurring is a very VERY dangerous logical fallacy.

By the logic you'd prefer to take botulinum toxin to aspirin - which obviously isn't the case. This method may be the safest, the best, whatever - but if so it has NOTHING to do with where it came from and everything to do with it's actual chemical properties.

Also, you should note that chemical companies have to submit to extensive testing of their products under a variety of conditions. There are a lot of examples of bad shit that got through - but most of them are from a different era when consumer advocacy and safety "hysteria" were fringe ideas.

--- G.

NO I mean THIS product is safer than your average chemical that kills insects, but yes i see your point.

I in fact am quite comfortable, and in fact very confident this is much safer than any of the shit the chemical companies have produced

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. It's just that every time I hear the phrase "it's naaatural" or "the chemical companies..." my anti-hippie sense tingles - spidey style =D

--- G.

yeah! lay off the hippies less I bust a naturopathic botulin filled forehead wrinkle fixin cap is yer ass ye hippie hater you.

:D

I'm going to try the DE. I'll report back. Thanks, folks.

*scratches at the bites on her face and swollen hands* :(

Morrison's Lament said:
lol, I like you =D

--- G.

awww good. that makes me feel warm n fuzzy. Or is that the bourbon? either way....me happy ;)

and fairnymph, good choice! let us know how it goes.

Alright, an update:

Diatomaceous earth does nothing -- no help at all.

This natural enzymes stuff I got online -- nothing.

Both I used LIKE CRAZY, and was extremely thorough with.

Looking back I realized that when the pest control lady came the first time, the problem got WORSE after she sprayed the whole building (at the time she didn't think it was bedbugs, being a total fucking idiot, so not sure if she sprayed with stuff that is even for bedbugs).

The lady returned two days ago, this time we have told her it is DEFINITELY bed bugs, so presumably she sprayed with stuff meant for them. The biting is now worse!

At least the things I tried didn't make it worse!

No fucking clue what I am going to do, short of taking a scalding bath in bleach and then abandoning all of my possessions, or killing myself. And I'm not joking.

I'm on high dose corticosteroids to deal with all the itching and swelling, and I'm still getting tons of it (itching and swelling, that is). Last week my eye was partially swollen shut from all the bites on it.

This is simply intolerable.

Sorry you are having all these problems Julia. I missed this thread before.
In Florida i tried several pest control companies and they all sucked until i finally used Orkin. After them i never seen another bug in my house ever. And when you live in a south Florida town that is pratically a swamp, that means something.
I don't know which pest control company you used but i would give them a call if you try another one.

Damn, fairnymph, sorry to hear. That sounds really extreme. :(

It almost sounds like you're being attacked by wave after wave of newly hatched bugs, who have not had the chance to get affected by the measures yet. Sounds like a nasty infestation. The only thing that I know of that kills bedbugs instantly is high temperature, i.e. steam.