• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Natural NMDA antagonists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theanine anybody?

NMDA antagonist found in green tea (you can also get it pure).

theanine also enhances DA,5HT,GABA. Dont know how well and in what manner it agonizes these, and how it compares to the binding of NMDA and in what way it antagonizes NMDA. My guess would be tho... Probly weak as hell.

And the data on Deoxynoraljmycin( I think that's the name, could be way wrong) which is the compound in mulberry is real limited and may or maynot produce nasty side fx on it's own.

Acorus gramineus is also reoprted to produce NMDA fx, but it's also a gaba agonist. I dont like to mix different kinds of CNS deppresants(dont like downers anyway)(luv dissociatives tho). But it's used to block out external stimuli thought to go on "mystical journies" by shaman monks. So it might be cool.

I wish I could find a source for the Psychotria. Everyone knows about psychotria V. which contains DMT but I cant find any of the psychotridine containing species available

Magnesium will cause psychological effects in high doses, anaesthesia after that, and slightly further than that level you get a lot of organ/brain damage assumably through respiratory failure and hypoxia.

Even before you get to the levels that produce psychological effects, magnesium ions via the most popular route (oral) had chance to make you shit yourself to death owing to it's action as an osmotic laxative :) (actualy it's not that far fetched as a severe bout of the squirts buggers electrolyte levels & balance in the body - that's how cholera eventually kills)

Jamshyd said:
Hey all,

No, I am not asking for a dissociative that I can find growing on trees. lol.

What I am asking for is...

Are there any drugs or peptides found in nature that cause NMDA antagonism?

Of course, that is barring Ibogaine, Mg and Zn.

Any input would be appreciated.

I have searched a lot and couldn't find what I'm thinking about. I am aware though that I usually look in the wrong places :D

Again, I don't care if it gets you high or not - I am simply interested in naturally occuring compounds that are NMDA antagonists.

Theanine is an antagonist of the following Glutamate receptors: AMPA, Kainate, and NMDA.

L-Huperzine A is also a NMDA antagonist.

Nitrous oxide and ibogaine are NDMA antagonists.

Kynurenic acid is a antagonist at glycine site of the NMDA receptor.

I think when people say they're looking for an NMDA antagonist they're refering to ones that xzibit dissociative fx. From the research out there so far it seems like hupA isn't dissociatve(i think it only fx pcp receptors at the polyamine site or sumthng)but it dusnt have the wide range of receptor blockage that any of the known dissociatives have. Glycine receptor blockage may possibly make u crazy(speculative)but isnt dissociative @all.

one day I would like to try an excessively high dose of theanine, jus to see what it can actually do.

^ Yes amongst others, also notably in the present work being done for research to commence reasonably soon

Peganum harmala

The beta-carboline constituents of Syrian rue seeds, above all Harmine and Harmaline, arose in some research suspicion of being active at the NMDA receptor, beside being potent MAO inhibitors. Bioassay results are in favour of this, but given the MAO inhibition, things unsurprisingly get nasty once clear signs of dissociation become appreciable. A Moclobemide control against this also produced results in favour of harmala activity beyond MAO inhibition.

An interesting experience to say the least, but careful proceeding is warranted.

Last edited:
^^^ It didn't do shit to me. I took like 20 grams and felt nothing. We can speculate about whether it was placebo effect, which tends to work really well.

I take a standardized extract of Huperzine A 200 mcg twice daily as a cholinergic memory booster. If it has any dissociative NMDA-antagonist effects, then they sure have eluded me. lol

I take a standardized extract of Huperzine A 200 mcg twice daily as a cholinergic memory booster. If it has any dissociative NMDA-antagonist effects, then they sure have eluded me. lol

If you compare the structure against Memantine, it's easy to see why it has dissociative properties- though Memantine isn't very potent and apparently isn't fun at all, and this is apparently weaker, and probably even less fun.

I'd be worried about toxicity before ever reaching dissociative levels.

It puts you to sleep. Feels GABAergic to me.

Yea, it's also serotoninergic, dopaminergic, and possibly an NMDA antagonist. Pretty much completely inhibitory, as the dopamine can be inhibitory too. It makes me feel calm, relaxed, yet alert. It's supposed to promote alpha brain waves, which are the kind that are promoted from activities like meditation, some aromatherapeutic scents, day-dreaming/reverie, self-hypnosis or smoking weed.

Theanine is an antagonist of the following Glutamate receptors: AMPA, Kainate, and NMDA.

L-Huperzine A is also a NMDA antagonist.

Nitrous oxide and ibogaine are NDMA antagonists.

Kynurenic acid is a antagonist at glycine site of the NMDA receptor.

Kynurenic acid is a bad chemical for humans, it's associated with schizophrenia. the other chemicals mentioned are fine.

Kynurenic acid is a bad chemical for humans, it's associated with schizophrenia. the other chemicals mentioned are fine.

I believe all dissociative NMDA antagonists can produce very schizophrenic-like effects at certain dosages. Kynurenic acid research just adds more evidence to the glutamate hypothesis for schizophrenia which, imo, will be found as the correct one in years to come.

At double the recommended dose, it seems to have the same effect as DXM (anti-depressant wise). At higher doses it starts manifesting some weak dissociative signature, also similar to DXM, but I am happy with Ketamine as a dissociative of choice and will not be trying Cat's Claw "recreationally".

I'm pretty sure Cat's Claw is not an NMDA antagonist, as you've got the wrong species, just like the kind of sage you would eat will not get you high if you were to smoke it like you would do with Salvia.

re: syrian rue

The beta-carboline constituents of Syrian rue seeds, above all Harmine and Harmaline, arose in some research suspicion of being active at the NMDA receptor, beside being potent MAO inhibitors. Bioassay results are in favour of this, but given the MAO inhibition, things unsurprisingly get nasty once clear signs of dissociation become appreciable. A Moclobemide control against this also produced results in favour of harmala activity beyond MAO inhibition.

An interesting experience to say the least, but careful proceeding is warranted.

I tried this once. It made me trip like crazy. I saw a lot of 8-bit ghosts and lion heads. It also really screwed with my sense of gravity (just like dramamine); I could barely walk for a few hours. I would not mix this with other substances due to it's temporary MAOI effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.