• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Yerba Mate! Mega merged thread.

If its the heat of the liquid, then any tea or coffee even hot choclate is going to cause the same effect.

No, because different drinks have different pHs. Do you honestly think drinking a 200°C cup of tea, or coffee, or maté is any better than drinking a cup of 200°C sulfuric acid? I think not.

Lol just a joke man, but my point is that different drinks have different pH levels which will damage the throat in different ways eventually.

Ive never herd anything about yerba linked to cancer. It cant be any more dangerous then ingesting research chemicals, street drugs.

I thought about the ethanol extraction. Im no advanced chemist, but if theres steps to take that im not going to kill my self with, please enlighten me. Its not illegal by any means to extract yerba.
I don't even think it's possible to kill yourself with a EtOH extraction. It's about as simple as can be. Lol, I suppose if you poured all of it onto yourself and lit yourself on fire.

maybe you could make some sort of yerba mate hashish. I would just get some everclear and make a tincture. seems like the simplest, most effective strategy.

^That is, by definition, an ethonal extract.

..And a poor one at that.

I thought the title of this thread was "Exciting Yer Mate."

Ok bye! Out as fast as he came in!

I dont plan to distribute it for profit, i would love to be able to just give it out to my friends who cant stand the taste. Gifting community DUH!

FWIW, I've seen Yerba Mate extract (crystals) sold openly in one of three tea-shops I frequent in a smaller town nearby. If Y. M. Extract is allowed to be sold in Canada, and found in tea-shops in Bummfuck, Ontario, then I would be shocked if it isn't available everywhere else in the world. I can't speak for its effects though as I feel an aversion to Y. M. and so never tried it.

It's concentrated extract, not the actual plant material. They use a solvent to pull out the non polar compounds then wash and repeat with a polar solvent. Additional purification steps may be taken. One could also do an A/B. But it is by no means 'crystalline yerba' :\

Yes i drink the loose mate, but lately i have to drink ALOT to get the same effects.

Been doing Mate loose for a while now and I totally built up a tol. So my trick is to quit for a week and just drink Jacked 3D instead. Similar effects.

^That is, by definition, an ethonal extract.

..And a poor one at that.

would you let me know why it is poor instead of just putting my idea down? That would be exponentially more helpful to everyone on this board.

Because it's a single wash. There will be many impurities in the yeild.

EtOH is polar, so you're 1st wash should be with a non polar solvent ( hexane, toluene, chloroform, ether, etc) This will remove the bulk of the unwanted material.

Btw I explained all of this 2 posts above you. So yes I did my 'help' for the community already lol ;)

i drink shade grown organic mate about 4x a week (in the same way id drink coffee, as my morning stimulant).

it has... caffeine. its not that exciting. it has a lot of flavanoids and antioxidants which are very heat sensitive, so I recommend you cold brew your mate, else youre pretty much gulping down some tea flavored caffeine. dont ever use boiling water with yerba mate, its pointless, the plants nutrients, alkaloids, and stimulants can be extracted in just 30 mins of cold water, 4-6 minutes of very warm water.

LIKE ALL PLANTS, it does contain hydrocarbons and other carcinogenic material. drinking scalding hot mate (the "traditional" way) is foolish, as you extract more of these elements, destroy the nutrition, and burn your throat, all of which increases cancer risk. drinking excessive amounts of any tea poses this risk, so moderate just like you would with coffee.

personally i like to combine himalayan pink salt and euluthero root with mine, but E. root is an adaptogen and must be consumed with the same discretion as ginsing (westerners typically consume ginsing indiscriminately and receive zero effect from it).

Drink it.

http://www.noborders.net/mate/

http://www.guayaki.com/

Instead of coffee.

I have been using the Guayaki brand for a couple weeks now. I don't drink coke, nearly as much... maybe one a day-now.

Tastes awesome- and it's good for you.. and it gives energy that lasts.

It's basically the South American green-tea. It actually contains more healthy substance... but I'm not sure if it contains one certain nutrient-ECCG- I think it's called, so I'm planning on continuing to drink green tea- as well...

Usually, in the mornings, I brew two Guayaki Greener Greens... which contain both Yerba Mate and Green Tea... the bags are each 3 grams, compared to 2 or so in other teas...

I never feel "drained", even after working a 10 hour-shift- on my feet all day.. This is the only stimulant beverage I drink.. usually.

Excerpt from Guayaki Website

"The Healthy Stimulant," yerba maté is the base for herbal medicine in South America and has a staggering list of health benefits with 196 active compounds: 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids, and 11 polyphenols – powerful antioxidants. Maté is high in chlorophyll and can boast higher polyphenol and antioxidant counts than either green or black teas. Yerba maté provides a unique sustaining energy by its complex combination of xanthine alkaloids: caffeine, theophylline and theobromine. Feel the Good Energy

That Yerba Matè: Greener Green tea made by Guayaki brand contains only 2.5grams of a proprietary blend of: "Yerba Mate, Green Tea, and Lemon grass." But I too have this is my tea cabinet and love it, but when i make a drink of it I usually use 3-4 tea bags in each cup sense who knows how much Yerba Mate is in each 2.5grams of the 'proprietary blend"

I just wanted to correct your mistakes.. :)

Guayaki was the first brand i tried too. Trust me, try some other sources, cuz that shit tastes like dirt. Its more akin to lawn clippings than a good mate brew.

Mountain Rose Herbs has some real nice shade grown mate, tastes a lot better, but theres a lot of places online you can order from.

I usually prepare mine as follows:

Boil micro filtered water.

Let water cool a tiny bit.

Pour mate into your french press.

Pour very cold water over the mate, let it sit for a moment.

Rinse a handful of goji berries. Place them in the cold recently boiled water.

Pour the hot water into the cold, let it sit for about 10 mins. Stir occasionally. It should be hot enough that its still a bit hot 10 mins later, but not "too" hot.

Pour out the liquid into jars.

Store in fridge, or drink (the longer its stored with the goji berries, the more flavor theyll add, and vitamins and whatnot extracted).

glad to see interest in mate, its wonderful stuff

A quick tip to those finding mate to bitter/earthy who follow the brewing process i mention on page 1

try unsmoked or green mate, not only does it have less possibility of negatively impacting health due to carcinogens, it also has a much cleaner flavor. I like both but i manly use unsmoked/green mate.

I have also heard there is a difference in flavor and secondary metabolites between male and female mate trees, i wish i knew more details about this, if anyone can elaborate please do!

Anyway some manufacturers make a point to include both sexes of the plant, I find this to be tastier and more effective as far as stimulation goes.

Also be careful about storing brewed mate, idk why but it quickly becomes funky, im not sure if its only oxidation but after leaving a cup of mate in room temp setting with no cover a sludge forms and grows within a day, i believe this may be due to endophytes in the mate leaves, its interesting, but gross and may not be healthy to consume.

been going hard on mate for 4 years now, i love the stuff!

Last edited:
Yeah I love yerba, mate.

Can kick your ass hard if you so wish, but generally has a much more balanced, forgiving stimulation than say a good strong coffee.

So cheap yet so good. Usually substitute mate for coffee in the coffee maker. Yerba Mate is a great way to start the day.
http://ma-tea.com/ for those looking for a cheap reliable supplier. Its only $5 for a kilo for the popular brands. I recommend Canarias and Union Suave.

Last edited:
I drink my yerba mate sometimes mixed with Backhousia citriodora (AKA: Lemon Myrtle). Lemon Myrtle has an awesome 'citrus' like taste that really works well with Yerba Mate..(also I usually use the Yerba Mate thats mixed with green tea).. I find yerba mate to be the only 'caffeinated' like beverage I find myself drinking.. Your right about the combination of the different xanthines providing a better feeling then just straight caffeine. (In fact i just had a glass..t'was good.)

this.

married with a daily dose of kombucha tea and a minimum of 2 litres of filtered water, i find all work well for me (my energy/health levels and digestive tract).

...kytnism...:|

Hello people, I don't mean to lecture you (but I will anyway). I am from Argentina and here people drinks mate all the time. Everyone does it, and I do mean everyone at least tries it once in their life. Having not tried mate here would be like having not tried tea in England or beer in Ireland or weed in Amsterdam, you get the point.
So, a few tips on how to brew a true mate:
First of all, you could make a tea-like brew called "mate cocido" (cooked mate), which is made with a tea bag and boiled water, it's exactly like brewing regular tea.
Second, sometimes people does drink mate that way, but it's not how we usually do it. To make a real mate you need a lot of yerba:
-fill half a cup with yerba mate.
-insert the bombilla (metal straw with a sort of metallic filter, the filter is only to stop you from eating the yerba, no real micro-filtering of any kind) down to the bottom of the cup.
-add water until it's all wet but you shouldn't have water over the top of the yerba.
-Never ever ever and I mean never use boiled water for this, it ruins it (it's ok for mate cocido but not for this one).
It has a really strong flavour, and it's for sharing, each person drinks one cup and then gives it back to the one who is pouring, who then passes it to the one who's turn it is to drink.
If you do it this way after 2 or 3 cups you will get a caffeine bust like you'd get from a good cup of coffee. Don't worry about using up too much yerba, that's how you're supposed to do it. If you manage to make a bombilla that works, you will enjoy it you can take my word for it.
*Once I made a bombilla out of an earring and a plastic straw. I guess that a mcdonald's straw and a couple of pins could do the trick, no boiled water so no problem with melting the plastic.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8f/Mate_containing_tereré.JPG
http://www.como-limpiar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/img1_bombillas-de-alpaca_0.jpg

I know this is an old thread but I was looking at a yerba maté site and I found this, which begs the question what's the best way to prepare yerba maté?

I also found this article; but I am not an oncologist: http://www.emaxhealth.com/8782/yerba-mate-tea-prevents-and-causes-cancer

http://ma-tea.com/pages/Cautions.html

Cautions
Yerba Mate: Cautions, Risks, Warnings, Safety

Yerba Mate, like coffee and tea, is considered safe by the United States Food and Drug Administration, and is on their GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list.

Yerba Mate is known to be a healthy alternative to coffee, one of the most nutritious drinks in the world, and when used properly it has a long and ancient history of safe, personal enjoyment. That being said, even hot soup comes with a warning. And Yerba Mate is a lot more nutrient packed than almost any soup.

Knowledge is power. We have the first and largest Internet Library of yerba mate information. Below is everything we have collected about any potential risks, and it is important to note that yerba mate is not without its risks. Care should be taken in its preparation and use, as it will affect your body. Please consider the following suggestions:
Blood Pressure Reduction

Yerba mate can effect blood pressure. For this reason, it is not recommended before surgery. (Liberti L, Beutler JA, Cirigliano M, et al, eds. The Review of Natural Products. St Louis, Mo: Facts and Comparisons, 2003)
Pregnancy

"For otherwise healthy nonpregnant, nonnursing adults who are not taking other substances or medications containing caffeine, [Yerba] Mate is considered relatively safe in amounts typically recommended." (Michael Castleman, medical reviewer, Sheldon Saul Hendler, THE HEALING HERBS.).

Latin American women have always claimed Yerba Mate to be an important part of a healthy pregnancy. Researchers tested it to see if it influenced negatively the growth of the child. A study published in The Journal of Nutrition concurs: "In conclusion, prevalence of daily mate drinking was high among pregnant women and contrary to the hypothesis, no harmful effect on intrauterine growth or duration of pregnancy was detected." (Santos, 2005)
Avoid Very Hot Water

Consumption of drinks (coffee, tea, hot water) or soups at very high temperatures has been reported as a risk factor for esophageal cancer in Puerto Rico (30), Singapore (31), Iran (32), and China (33), (34), (35).
Contraindications & Drug Interactions

For those on medications, they should note the following drug interactions (Brinker F. Herb Contraindications and Drug Interactions, 2nd ed. Sandy (OR): Eclectic Medical Publications, 1998):

Aspirin: Yerba mate may increase absorption and bioavailability.

Acetaminophen: Pain relief of acetaminophen is increased due to caffeine content in mate.

Benzodiazepines: Effects of benzodiazepines are reduced by caffeine content in yerba mate.

Beta-Adrenergic Agonists: Effects of beta-adrenergic agonists are increased by yerba mate.

Clozapine: Yerba mate may alter effects.

CNS Stimulants: Yerba mate may increase effects.

Monoamine-oxidase inhibitors (MAO-I): Yerba mate can cause hypertensive crisis.

Theophylline: Yerba mate may increase effects and lead to possible toxicity.

Diuretics: Yerba mate may cause an additive effect.

Cholesterol-lowering drugs: Yerba mate is a great source of antioxidants, yet some heart experts say that taking antioxidants in combination with cholesterol-lowering drugs can actually be hazardous.(WebMD)

To be safe, consider avoiding Yerba Mate if you have been asked to avoid caffeine. Although the caffeine appears to be bound uniquely, it is still caffeine. Therefore, patients with hypertension, cardiac disorders, and anxiety should not consume mate.
Drink Less Water

Since drinking very little water with tea is an ancient and important principle, it can not be safely reccomended to drink copious amounts of water with Yerba Mate in order to intake more chemicals. Rather, it is best to use as little water as possible each time when consumed. Subhuti Dharmananda, Ph.D., Director, Institute for Traditional Medicine in Portland, Oregon examined classical medical literature for recommendations on the amount of water to drink with hot tea. His review highlights the Chinese and Ayurvedic tea principle of "just a few sips" (use as little water as possible)" (2005). We caution against drinking too much water with yerba mate as there is no historical precedence for doing so. It is neither traditional nor common practice.
Avoid Excess

Drinking any liquid (coffee, tea), even Yerba Mate, at very high temperatures and in large quantities over time may increase the risk of esophogal cancer. Unfortunately, a large number of Yerba Mate cultures drink it at too high of a temperature and over 5 times a day, taking more than just a few sips each time. In some Latin American cultures it is considered cool, or machismo, to drink the water at a very hot temperature. The American Association for Cancer Research notes that consumption in larger quantities and at very hot temperatures is "associated with an elevated risk of esophageal cancer"(2003).

The practice of Traditional Medicine suggests drinking tea 3-5 times a day, yet Dharmananda notes that it does not reccommend drinking excess amounts of water with tea, nor drinking it at excessively hot temperatures (2005). The American Association for Cancer Research highlighted the risks of excess:

For those drinking more than 1 liter/day at very hot temperatures: Subjects who self-reported drinking mate at a very hot temperature had an almost 2-fold increase in risk [odds ratio (OR), 1.87, 95% CI, 1.17-3.00] compared with those drinking warm to hot mate, after adjusting for cumulative consumption of mate. Mate amount and temperature were observed to have independent effects and, although no departure from multiplicativity was observed between the two covariates, those drinking more than 1 liter/day of mate at a very hot temperature had a 3-fold increase in risk (OR, 2.95, 95% CI, 1.30-6.74) compared with those drinking less than 0.5 liter/day of mate at a warm to hot temperature. Subjects with high cumulative exposure to mate in the presence of low alcohol and tobacco exposures presented a lower-risk estimate (OR, 1.52, 95% CI, 0.88-2.62), whereas those with high cumulative exposures to mate, alcohol, and tobacco presented a 7-fold increase in esophageal cancer risk (OR, 7.10, 95% CI, 3.75-13.46). The population-attributable fraction as a result of mate consumption was calculated to be 53%, of which the sole effect of amount and temperature was 14.8 and 12.6% respectively, and 14.9% was attributable to high mate consumption at high temperature. (2003) The evidence highlights the risk of using very hot water and taking more than "just a few sips." Recall, the tea has many anti-oxidents that help to fight cancer, but is most effective when following the Traditional Method. As the saying goes, "best to avoid too much of a good thing." Use the Yerba Mate wisely.
It could be misinterpreted as Illicit Drug Use

Police or other enforcement agencies could incorrectly assume that the gourd is being used for illegal drugs. Some students have reported being suspended from the university while their yerba mate gourds were investigated. This is not a completely uncommon occurrence. Raul, from Argentina, tells a not too uncommon story. He talks about the police detaining him while they call in to the station to ask about "Yerba Mate, One Litro, Industria Argentina." Be aware that the Traditional Method is an uncommon site and may require some explaining.

Last edited: