• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

The Official NFL 2005 Season Thread

Ole Washington

Don't be fooled by the wins that they got, their still, their still the same old Redskins from the block...

Many diehard Redskins fans thought this was a new year. In a literal sense, they are correct, it is actually a new year, but they were thinking deeper. Yesterday's game in New York against the Giants was the biggest game of the season for both teams. The winner would take sole possession of first place in the NFC East.

Unfortunately for the Skins, their true yellow colors showed just as they do every year. The Redskins didn't just lose; the Redskins were absolutely destroyed on Sunday. Tiki Barber rushed for an NFL season high 206 yards. Eli Manning was an efficient offensive leader passing for 146 yards while the running game dominated. Moreover, the Giants supposed worst defense shut out the second best offense in the league. Mark Brunell threw for 65 yards, while Clinton Portis rushed for 9 yards on 4 carries. Ouch. Ouch.

This year the NFC East belongs to the New York Football Giants. They look like a team destined for the NFC championship. All season, every single analyst on television has said everything from "The Giants aren't gonna sniff the playoffs this year", (Sean Salisbury), to "The Redskins have the best chance at knocking off Philly this year", (Michael Irvin). Wake up everyone, the Giants are having a dominant year right under your noses, and you refuse to notice them. Guess what, their next two games are at San Francisco and home against Minnesota. What that means is that we all have to wait until November 20 when the Giants defeat the Eagles at home to start giving them respect.

On the other hand, the Washington Redskins season ended yesterday in New York. In fact, this is Coach Joe Gibbs first regular season shutout, ever. The last time Gibbs was shutout was in the 87 NFC Championship game against, guess who??? The Giants. Mark Brunell had a good streak to start the season, but that is now over. In the same manner as an elder Tino Martinez was on FIRE early this year for the Yankees, and then fell off, Mark Brunell fell off yesterday. Maybe Brunell needs the LifeCall service because he's fallen, and he's certainly not getting up, any time soon at least. The Skins next 5 games are against the Eagles, Bucs, Raiders, Chargers, and Rams. Then they get a break against Arizona before again having to face the Cowboys, Giants, and Eagles. Not an easy schedule, but if they pull out a string of wins they deserve to be in the playoffs. However, they won't. On a side note, if anyone has seen Santana Moss, please contact either your local authorities or Dan Snyder, because after yesterday everyone is looking for him.

The hype surrounding the Redskins every year is unprecedented. Unfortunately, hype doesn't win Super Bowls. Heart wins Super Bowls, something the Skins are lacking, and the Giants are flourishing in. In closing, was that really Patrick Ramsey in the game? Just another one of my famous metaphorical nails in the coffin.

don't get too ahead of yourself though. SF and the Vikings are a given, Eagles at home might be tight, but I reckon @Seattle will break Eli's balls

This One Could Get Exciting

In years past, the NFL has showcased some clearly dominant teams. It was obvious that the Eagles, Falcons, Steelers, and Patriots would all sit atop the league and contend for the Super Bowl. While occasional surprises such as the Giants and Panthers made it to the big dance, the powerhouses in the league have been for the most part clear cut.

However, this is a new season, and the landscape of the NFL has changed. In the same manner as just about every team in the MLB had a playoff shot this year, seemingly every team is lumped together this season in the NFL. Perhaps the Indianapolis Colts are similar to the St Louis Cardinals. They are the one team dominating the regular season, no one is paying attention to them, and they aren’t playoff tested. The result is a wide open league.

Let’s start in the NFC, and by NFC we are of course excluding the abysmal NFC North. First of all, there is the Carolina Panthers. While this may seem outlandish, Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith look Manning/Harrisonesque with Smith already receiving 797 yards passing. Just as any John Fox coached team, the defense led by the energetic Julius Peppers is intense, and will come to play.

In the same class as the Panthers, the Atlanta Falcons have a championship team. After last year’s loss to the Eagles in the NFC championship, Jim Mora and company are ready to prove they are legit. The Dunn, Vick, Duckett rushing attack is obviously one of the top in the league, and has proven this many times over. If Vick can open up the one dimensional Alge Crumpler passing game to include wide receiver homerun threat Michael Jenkins, the Falcons will have just as good a shot as anyone else to make it to the Super Bowl.

Surprisingly, the New York Giants are an NFC powerhouse. After a comeback victory against the popular Super Bowl pick Denver Broncos, and a 36-0 domination of the Washington Redskins, Tom Coughlin’s troops are starting to gain some respect. The high powered offense starring Eli Manning, Plaxico Burress, Tiki Barber, and Jeremy Shockey looks unstoppable. Furthermore, the shutout of the second ranked Redskins offense has given the Giants supposedly weak defense a boost of confidence. After games against the 49ers and Vikings, the Giants will host the Eagles in a game that will shape up the top of the NFC East.

Over in the AFC, the Indianapolis Colts reign supreme. Yes the Patriots won the Super Bowl last year, but the Colts have not lost a game this year, so let’s stop living in the past. If one team fits the Super Bowl formula, it is the Colts. Unlike years past, Tony Dungee has finally molded together a championship defense. In fact, Dwight Freeney might be the best player in the league. The offense is very well-rounded, even more so than past seasons. While Peyton Manning is not putting up otherworldly numbers, he still has a QB rating of 98.3. Moreover, Edgerrin James is having a monster season. Projected to rush for upwards of 1800+ yards, James is proving he is the premier running back in the NFL today. The Colts are doing what needs to be done to win, and win they will continue to do.

Next is the Pittsburgh Steelers. Perhaps this is their year with the league so wide open. Big Ben might just be the most efficient offensive leader in the game, boasting a QB rating of 112. The Steelers running game is no secret, and will continue to put up big numbers on a weekly basis. In addition, the Steelers have a championship caliber defense just as they do every year. It might not be clear to everyone as people are blinded by bias, but Pittsburgh has a championship aura surrounding them right now. Could this season bring the ring back to the fans?

Similarly to the Colts and Steelers, the Denver Broncos appear to have Super Bowl magic. With a sound 49-21 victory over the Eagles last Sunday, previous critics of the Broncos are rethinking their ways. Key to Denver’s success is QB Jake Plummer who has a QB rating of 91, and has only thrown 3 interceptions so far. Simply, Jake Plummer is not screwing up. He isn’t making Jake moves to lose games. Moreover, the rushing attack featuring Mike Anderson who always puts up numbers, and Tatum Bell the homerun slugger, is the best rushing combo in the NFL. Both are projected to rush for 1,000 yards, an amazing feat. A good match to their potent offense is the strong defense who is playing just as well as any other D in the league. If Champ Bailey can get back to 100%, the Broncos will be sitting pretty.

You know what’s scary? The teams not mentioned. Are the Eagles, Seahawks, Cowboys, or Rams going to lie down? Are the Patriots, Bengals, Jaguars, or Chargers going to lie down? Of course not. This is going to be a battle the likes of which we may have never seen before. The dominant teams used to be obvious, but those lines are blurring this year and nothing is clear cut. In short, the Super Bowl title is really up for grabs this year. Strap yourselves in; this one is only going to get better as each week passes.

Joseph, I agree.

This season has already had some pretty memorable games, and the fun is just beginning. As bad as they may look, I think the most interesting story to follow will be the whole NFC North ( with the exception of Green Bay, they just suck ). The Bears no doubt have one of the bst defenses in the NFL, and with Orton getting more comfortable each week, the Bears look better every week.

The Colts ARE the total package though. When their offense lags, their D just seems to play better. When their D is giving up some yards and points, don't worry, Payton will put up more yards and points.

So who's gonna win Monday night between Indy and NE?

Okay...

Am I the only Colts fan who is skeptical of our season so far? Seriously, besides St. Louis and Jacksonville, who have we played? Cleaveland? They just got beat by the fucking Texans (who were tied with the Colt's at halftime when they played). The 49'ers? The mighty stalwart Ravens? I don't know...

I just have a bad feeling about Monday night; like our secondary is gonna get lit up and we're going to look like the same old hapless Colts with the toughest month in our schedule ahead of us still.

Nah, Colts will beat this weak New England team just like the Niners knocked off dallas back in the day. Its their time. About the Bears, I havent given them their due credit. Orton is damn good after that 5 int game, esp for a rookie. I love Mushin Muhammed, and their defenst is fucking strong. They seem better than those old Dilfer Ravens, but I dont see them winning it all. My Giants bias blinds me, this I can admit, but the Seahawks are kinda nice this year.

well, any colts fan who bothers thinking about their schedule thus far (and to follow) probably wouldn't be wrong worrying a little bit. that said maybe they won't blow it in the playoffs the way they have past couple years.

I have nothing to back this up michael, but imagine the iggles making a run at edgerrin james nect year? Just something to think about

or maybe shaun alexander? isn't he a free agent too after this season? i've always liked edge and wouldn't mind seeing him as an eagle one bit, but the current buzz here is that they're going to give westbrook his contract extension. to be honest though i almost wish they'd quit pretending he's a running back and just lined him up as a receiver.

there is also the fact that andy reid hates to run the ball - would he even utilize james well? who knows.

top rocka

starlightgemini said:
Threads like these generally go in The Lounge. If there is already one there (which I think there might be) it will be merged.

sports, gaming etc need their own forum just as top rocka proposed in the support forum long ago.

where is that Catch-22 guy when you need him ??

michael said:
or maybe shaun alexander? isn't he a free agent too after this season?

alexander will stay in seattle.

as for the colts. i've said it before, and i'll say it again. the only reason they are undefeated so far this season is because of their weak schedule. if this was a bcs ranking system, they would be no higher than 10th. i'm a pats fan, and i believe the pats will lose on monday. but it will be close.

You kidding? the bcs is one of the most flawed systems in the world. I think it was obvious last year when usc played oklahama and auburn played vt.

How about the NFC south? Will Atlanta or Tampa Bay come out on top?

I'd like to say Falcons for NFC South (cos I'm a fan) but the Panthers are looking pretty good...Delhomme and Smith have got a bit of a groove going. With Vick passing so poorly it's a pretty one-dimensional attack...just Crumpler and the running game - and TB, Carolina, Chicago are 1, 2, 4 in total rushing defense, so 6 of our coming games are against top defensive units. Unless Vick gets his arm working, I'm tipping Carolina (unfortunately), cos there's not much variation in the Falcons play calling...just a whole lot of running and Vick throwing floaters. Haven't heard much from TB, but that was a pretty poor loss to the 49ers last week

TruthSpeaker1 said:

nfc north is no picnic either...

how about the eagles suspending TO? i was always a TO supporter but its clear that his garbage infects any organization he's a part of despite his unparallel ability... what a fuckin waste:

TruthSpeaker1 said:
You kidding? the bcs is one of the most flawed systems in the world. I think it was obvious last year when usc played oklahama and auburn played vt.

yes, it is a very flawed system. no doubt about it. i was just comparing what would happen with the strength of their schedule. thats all.

Tampa will come out on top.

sans serif said:
nfc north is no picnic either...

how about the eagles suspending TO? i was always a TO supporter but its clear that his garbage infects any organization he's a part of despite his unparallel ability... what a fuckin waste:

a) i wouldn't bother putting too much stock in whatever the media is saying about TO - in fact i'd ignore them entirely.
b) the eagles organization looks particularly bad because (at least this time) TO is right; they do much better when they get the ball to him, with hindsight it's now pretty easy to say mcnabb probably should have had surgery at the end of the season, and cmon - would it really have been such a big deal to note his 100th TD on the jumbotron?
c) until the eagles defense starts earning their paychecks anything that you hear about TO being a reason for the eagles difficulties means whoever said it doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. the guy is open constantly.

Panthers Cheerleaders have sex in public restroom, given contract extensions

Panthers cheerleaders arrested in bar sex incident

November 6, 2005

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – Two Carolina Panthers cheerleaders were arrested after a bar dispute that broke out early Sunday after patrons complained the women were having sex in a bathroom stall, a police arrest report said.

Police reports named the women, but The Tampa Tribune reported officials were checking into whether one of them gave a false identification. One woman was charged with battery, and the other with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Both women were released on bond later Sunday.

The women were locked in a stall at about 2:10 a.m. Sunday when other patrons got angry they were taking so long in the bathroom, the police report said. The women left the stall, and one began arguing with another patron of Banana Joe's, eventually hitting that patron in the face with a closed fist, police said.

The incident happened 11 hours before the kickoff of the Panthers' NFL football game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The cheerleaders traveled to Tampa on their own because members of the team's Top Cats squad are on the sidelines only at home games.

Carolina Panthers officials told The Charlotte Observer at Sunday's game that they were aware of the reported incident, but declined further comment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...=pantherscheerleaders110705&prov=ap&type=lgns

Stop Feeding the Troll!

Sorry about the sensitive subject matter (/me looks towards michael), but I gotta be blunt here with the way I see things, cuz this shit is getting old fast.

Stop Feeding the Troll

Today feels like a ranting kind of day because I am very upset with some things. The subject I plan on covering has seen just as much coverage as the OJ trial. Onto the title, if you are an internet obsessed freak as I am, you know the term do not feed the trolls. If you don't know, here is a brief description. People who go on message boards, and purposely ask stupid questions or flame people are called trolls. They want attention. Message board moderators tell users "don't feed the trolls" or they win. Trolls want to get their name out there, get a rise out of people. Therefore, if users pay them no attention, the trolls just look like fools and they disappear. See where I'm going with this yet?

That Wide Receiver whose name will not be mentioned is a troll. Every newspaper and sports network is feeding the troll. Guess what people; the Eagles are in last place! The troll is not playing, that is the story plain and simple. So stop! Stop with the timelines, the interviews, and the same damn highlights over and over again! In the past 24 hours, how many times have we all seen some kind of segment on the troll and the Eagles? This writer lost count around 20 times.

So many stories that are being paid no attention… How about the Seattle Seahawks and free agent to be Shaun Alexander’s monster year? Do the media care about the FIRST place New York Giants and their emotional season? Is the monster year Carolina wide receiver Steve Smith is having no big deal? Does he need to talk more and be more controversial? Why isn’t anyone paying attention to the AFC West? The Chargers, Chiefs and Broncos will be involved in a dogfight for the playoffs.

It is clear, none of these stories matter. The media wants to cover the soap opera story of the Eagles and their troll. The coverage doesn’t seem like it is going to slow down anytime soon. Here is some advice, stop feeding the troll ESPN, newspapers, and sports radio shows. Maybe when a final decision on the troll is made, cover it briefly. If the troll goes to a team, cover it briefly. General sports fans have seen enough of this garbage. I’m sure Philadelphia Eagle fans are tired of this story. NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR THIS ANYMORE! At least give the other great stories occurring in football this season some equal time. EVERY OTHER SEGMENT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ABOUT THE TROLL. That reminds me, the Colts and Patriots are playing tonight; let’s see how ESPN does on the pre-game coverage…

Breaking News- So the troll won't be back in an Eagles uniform according to Andy Reid at his press conference. Good. That is all we need to hear about it. Please do not mention this subject until the troll is picked up by a new team.

Panther Cheerleader Pics/Mugshots

Being the faithful BL public servant that I am, in the BL public interest I doggedly tracked down pics of the Panther TopCat cheerleaders arrested for allegedly having sex in the Tampa bar bathroom stall:

Renee Thomas- 20 yo

renee_body05.jpg

TopCat Season: 1st
Hometown: Pittsboro, NC
Education: University of North Carolina-Charlotte
Future Goal: Obtain doctorate degree in dental surgery
Hobbies: Dancing, motocross, NASCAR, watching Carolina Panthers football and North Carolina Tar Heels basketball, and spending time with family, friends and my three dogs
Favorite Charity: Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
Favorite TV Show: American Chopper, CSI and Paula's Home Cooking
Favorite Food: Pasta and shrimp
Favorite Music: Country and hip-hop
Favorite Quote: Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Most Important Thing In Life: Live every moment to the fullest and love like you'll never be hurt.
Achievements: University of North Carolina-Charlotte dean's list member, Miss Ultimate Dance USA, performing with the Moscow State Ballet, University of North Carolina-Charlotte dance team, and making the TopCats

Angela Keathley- 26 yo

angela_body05.jpg

TopCat Season: 2nd
Hometown: Belmont, NC
Education: University of North Carolina-Charlotte, Cape Fear Community College and Carolinas College of Health Sciences
Future Goal: Excel in the nursing profession
Hobbies: Dancing, running, reading mystery novels and spending time with family and friends
Favorite Charity: Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation
Favorite TV Show: The Sopranos
Favorite Food: Mexican
Favorite Music: All
Favorite Quote: Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
Most Important Thing In Life: My mother
Best Thing About Being A TopCat: Friendships
Achievements: Certified paramedic, graduating from nursing school, passing the NCLEX and making the TopCats

051161703_cheerleaders2.jpg

Their mugshots:

05116164948_cheerleaders.jpg

Turn-ons: crowded same-sex bathroom stalls
Turn-offs: pushy, impatient people ;)

Apparently Ms. Thomas also torpedoed the career of a third as yet unidentified Panther TopCat by handing authorities the ID of the 3rd cheerleader (who had stayed home), no doubt obtained by the underaged Ms. Thomas for the purpose of gaining admission to the Tampa clubs.