• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

The Cold Water Extraction Thread

Pharmie_Pharmer420

Bluelighter
Seeing recent posts asking questions on how to do cold water extractions I decided to post Cold Water Worlds - Cold Water Extraction FAQ, in hopes to clear up questions. Feel free to add how you do it or better ways of completeing the CWE. This is the method I use and it works very well.

EXTRACTION

This procedure will separate codeine, hydrocodone, or oxycodone from aspirin, APAP (acetominaphen, paracetamol), or ibuprofen, but it won't remove caffeine. Be a good cook and read the whole recipe before beginning the process.

Crush the pills up up very thoroughly. You can use a sturdy pill or vitamin bottle and a ramekin for this. If you're extracting 10 pills, a quarter cup of water is more than enough (50 ml if you have a measuring cup with mls on it is good). With 15-20 Vicodin ES, 100 ml of water works well. The more water you use, the more you will end up having to take and the more difficult it is to get the bad stuff out, so don't use too much. Conversely, too little water will give you just a paste that can't be separated. If you're going to extract more than one dose, then measure it in some way. You can, for instance, do up four or ten doses, just use some measure, like an empty eye-drops or herbal extract bottle.

Dissolve the crushed pills in the water; stir or shake till all the clumps are gone. Pour into the bottom of a small bowl, cover, and put it in the freezer. Let it get really cold, but not so cold it freezes (some binders seem to get really swollen if they freeze). This shouldn't take that long, since it's shallow. You will see the APAP actually crystallize out and you will be able to feel it as grit when you stick your finger into the liquid above the sludge and then rub your fingers. (But even if it doesn't do that, it works anyhow! Read the info about how it works to see why.) Take the liquid out of the fridge.

For a filter, use a piece of cloth about the size of a washcloth. The cloth can be any closely-woven cotten, preferably undyed. The back of a dress shirt or a piece of plain muslin works well. Tshirts are usually too loosely woven to work. Soak the cloth in cold water while you are waiting for the APAP crystals to form. Put the cloth in a coffee filter cone or just drape over the edges of a small bowl, glass, or jar. When the solution is ready, pour everything, solution and glop, into the cloth. Bring up the ends of the cloth and squeeze the solution through. This will produce a fairly cloudy solution. Now filter that cloudy solution through a coffee filter that has first been wet down with ice water. While that is filtering, scrape the glop left on the cloth into the bowl and add another 50-100 ml of water to go through the whole process above again and get more good stuff out of the glop. When the solution in the freezer is ready, pour it through the cloth, squeeze out, and filter that through a coffee filter wet down with ice water, just as you did the first batch. Add the two more or less clear solutions together.

If you want even purer stuff with less APAP, first reduce the volume of water by evaporating some of it in a warm oven or with a hair dryer. Take a couple of APAP crystals from your sludge, put them in the liquid to seed further crystallization of APAP, and repeat the chilling and filtering process.

You can drink your solution. Remember if you have made up more than one dose at a time to split it up before drinking it. Also, take it on an empty stomach for max absorption, or see the section on Potentiation to really increase the effectiveness of the opiate. Opiates are very terrible [in fact, one person reported continuing the extraction until the water was no longer bitter as a way to get out every mg of opiate]. You can eat a piece of chocolate or a cracker spread with butter first to kill the taste (and the fat will help the narcotic be absorbed), you can mix it with sugar or Kool-aid, or you can load it into a plain syringe (without needle!) and shoot it up your butt. (Rectal absorption is better and faster than oral, and a British medical text reports that the body is more tolerant of APAP taken rectally.) Whatever your means of ingestion, enjoy, and your bod will thank you. If you have any comments on or emendations of this procedure, email me. Please note that I did not write the article by Doc Ivo Sandor.

For you doubters, why extraction works-

Extraction works because APAP, ibuprofen, and aspirin are hardly soluble in water, especially when it's cold, whereas opiates are very soluble in water.

Peace...........=D

Heres how To obtain codeine in powder after completing CWE. I've tried this and it does indeed work.

First, you need to evaporate the water. At home, you can use at least three different methods:

You can simply leave the prepared filtered solution in an opened container (eg petri dish) in a cool, dry and dark place for a couple of days.
Blow on the liquid with a hair dryer.
Put the liquid in a kitchen oven set to a low temperature.
Note: Codeine is very sensitive to heat; it may lose its potency or decompose when heated. Avoid exposing codeine to temperatures greater than 60°C.

Once the liquid evaporates you can scrap the codeine off. If there was any fillers or binders left with codeine, the powder can stick to the container.

what kind of yeild did u get when precipitating the codiene out of the water ? did you lose any ?

Na I didnt lose any at all, it worked out pretty good actualy. I havent weighed what I've gotten out of it though yet cause I need new batteries for my scale (It runs on some wierd kind) But my scale is fat its so sensitive it weighs in Milligrams, which is awesome!!

Speaking of which is there any way to get caffeine out of pills? I heard you can't but there must be a way..

Heres how to get caffeine out of the OTC codiene pills in the UK. It should work to get caffeine out of other pills.

Each AC&C used in this extraction contained:

8mg codeine phosphate (1.6g codeine phosphate / 200ct)
15mg caffeine (3g caffeine / 200ct)
325mg aspirin (75g aspirin / 200ct)
127mg junk (25.4g / 200ct)
200ct uncrushed AC&C added to 600ml beaker (net 95g). Hot water was added to 550ml mark. Stirred 0.5h w/mag stirring (3). Cooled in fridge for 4h. 360ml decanted to 2nd beaker. 190ml left in sludge layer. (65% of 1.6g codeine extracted)

200ml hot water added to 600ml beaker. Stirred 5min. Cooled in fridge for 4h. Decanted 200ml to 2nd beaker. (18% of 1.6g codeine extracted)

190ml hot water added to 600ml beaker. Stirred 5min. Cooled in fridge for 4h. Decanted 190ml to 2nd beaker. (9% of 1.6g codeine extracted)

This means that 92% of the total codeine/caffeine was extracted into a net volume of 750ml. (1.47g codeine, 2.74g caffeine) What remains in the beaker is mostly junk & aspirin. Reduced volume in 2nd beaker to 150mL by boiling. The room fills with the mild smell of vinegar as some of the aspirin decomposes. The solution is cooled in the fridge and then filtered (1). Then the volume is again reduced to 50mL. The solution is cooled in the fridge and then filtered (2). After this treatment, less than 15% of the original amount of caffeine will remain in the solution.

What remains is a solution of codeine without a discernable amount of caffeine that leaves a truly euphoric stoning codeine buzz. The solution can be boiled down to a powder that looks something like brown sugar and is intensely bitter (unlike caffeine, that is only mildly bitter). This is a relatively concentrated form of codeine phosphate that you're after. Rejoice! Responsably enjoy the fruits of opiate gods.

Some amount of caffeine is filtered off at this step. Remember to wash your filter paper with a bit of ice-cold water to reduce the losses. What you're doing is actually recrystallizing the caffeine, and for people who haven't seen it before, it almost looks like cotton candy.
More caffeine is filtered off at this step.
If you don't have automated stirring, just stir occassionally over a half-hour period of time.
Note how this technique also does not use any acids, bases or organic solvents to accomplish the removal of caffeine from the caffeine/codeine, and thus I feel is a significant breakthrough.

Chromic would like to congratulate a name-withheld codeine fanatatic who he worked alongside with (well, via private messages) to work out this technique.

Heres how to do an CWE on codeine according to NeonJoint.com.

The idea behind the following extraction is that
acetaminophen and aspirin (I'll use A/A from now on) are very
_insoluble_ in cold water. Codeine phosphate (the most common
salt of codeine) is very _soluble_ in water including cold water.
The following table explains:

Solubility (31C water) Solubility (21C water)

Aspirin 1g / 100 ml 1g / 300ml

Acetaminophen 1g / 70 ml 1g / 150 ml

Codeine 1g / 2.3 ml 1g / 0.7 ml
Phosphate

So as you can see, both A/A aren't very soluble in 21C
water, so if you cool the water to around 10C, the solubility will
drop even further. That way you can dissolve 20 tablets in 50ml
of hot water, cool the water down to 10C, filter the solution and
end up with the same amount of codeine as the tablets contained
but only a fraction of the original amount of A/A.

[...]

1. Obtain a quantity of tablets containing codeine, check to
see if they contain anything other than codeine, caffeine,
acetaminophen or aspirin. If they do, and you don't know whether
or not it will be a problem, your best bet is not to use them.
Measure out your desired amount of codeine (ex. 64 mg = 8 tablets
* 8mg/tablet). You may want to add 2 extra tablets as it is quite
likely you will lose some codeine in the procedure. As you get
more experience with the procedure you will be able to get
approx. 95% of the codeine extracted.

2. Measure out some nice hot water, use approx. 40ml / 20 tablets
or more if needed. I would suggest you don't go over 50ml for 20
tablets. I don't know if the use of boiling water would destroy
any of the codeine but your best bet is not to use it. Use hot
water but not boiling. Make sure the tablets dissolve completely.
Some dissolve on contact with water while others need some help
dissolving by crushing them. Note : not all of the tablet will
dissolve, there are water-insoluble fillers in the tablet and not
all of the A/A will dissolve either(which is what we want).

3. Place the solution in a cold bath, I just use some ice cubes
in a container of water. Stir the mixture occasionally until the
solution drops to about 15C or lower. You won't need a
thermometer to measure the temperature, just make sure it's
"cold". This will take about 30 min. If you wish to speed this
up, you can use less water to dissolve the tablets, and add ice
chips to cool the mixture faster. Just make sure you don't add
so much ice that you drastically increase the volume of the mixture.

4. Filter the solution using whatever you have. Coffee filters
work well, but lab filters work the best. Just make sure you
don't end up with obvious solids in the filtered solution. This
will take about 1 hr. You may also want to rinse the solids left
over in the filter with some ice-water to extract any remaining
codeine.

Don't use alot of water, use as little as possible. Codeine,hydrocodone, Oxycodone and morphine are all sensitive to heat and light. (Some more than others).
This method will work for oxycodone, but as a side note Percocet and most off-brands contain a relatively small amount of acetaminophen (about 350 mg or so) compared to the oxycodone (5 mg). Since oxycodone is very strong, 2 or 3 percs should have you feeling pretty darn good (as long as you don't have a huge tolerance). As a result, unless you are taking 10 or 15 percs per day, you needn't worry about acetaminophen ingestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um...

I hate to be a stick in the mud but if you claim not to have lost any of the target, you haven't done the process. It only offers less than a 50% yield, still, it is enough to make it worthwhile.

Yeah It turns out I did loss some but not that much, but still a nice portion. But its definatly worth while in the long run cause now I got pure powder codeine.

what if I just wanted to do 3 pills 20 mg oc's or 10 mg perks I have 3 of each right now will that be worth all the trouble??

Well...

First off, even if you had the right pills, the amount would render it worthless.

hypnoticzzz2003 said:
what if I just wanted to do 3 pills 20 mg oc's or 10 mg perks I have 3 of each right now will that be worth all the trouble??

Oxycontin does not contain apap. Percs however do.

Doing a CWE on OCs would be ignorant and a total waste of time.

I tried using the CWE method when a bottle of Tylenol 3's fell into my lap. I did 182 the bottle, roughly 25 pills I think, and I found it to be a total waste. I tried taking the left over codeine, but felt basically nothing. Obviously, I did something wrong. Now, I have a large amount of Percocet 7.5 mgs and Vicoprofens 7.5 but I'm afraid of trying this again because I dont want to waste what I have. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Jimmy the Gun
the easiest cold water extraction (on pharm opiates) ever.

crush the pills and put the powder in a shot glass or whatever. Then fill it with hot water and stir well. Then put the glass in the fridge.
If you do it right, you can put the glass in the freezer and freeze the tylenol to the bottom with out freezing the opiate solution.

once the powder has settled, drink the liquid carefully and nod like a rock star!

If a CWE is done on hydrocodone is there a way to obtain a powder from the water solution? Maybe simply evaporating the solution away leaving behind the extracted hydro?

^

Yes, that would work. It's the most effective way of preparing the powder for insuffilation (if that's your goal)