• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What do people take the wrong way about you?

^Using big words, discussing "weighty" topics, using a debate-y approach, etc. Kinda goes along with the "I can argue (read: debate) something with you without being mad at you" thing...

i've always been really shy (although i've been getting much better the past year or so, especially the last few months), especially in social situations where there are a lot of people. i tend to hold back and not introduce myself to people or initiate conversations. i'm sure this is often misinterpretted as bitchiness or low self-esteem... but that couldn't be futher from the truth.

however, as i continue to rid myself of my shyness, this will become less and less of a problem until it simply isn't one anymore.

People often do not get my sardonic form of humor, as I can state anything with a straight face. It brings about things like people not understanding that it was a joke, or that they actually believe what I say.

Some people tell me I'm a "know it all", I've been accused of "acting like I'm their dad" just for offering simple advice. I never looked at it like that... to me it's just offering an opinion (wether asked for or not) that could help someone. What's so wrong with that? I guess my problem is being able to tell if someone wants to hear it or not.

Another problem I have is with first impressions... many people are intimidated by my looks, and most people think I'm angry all the time... it just so happens that when I'm not expressing anything through facial expressions, my "blank face" looks like a scowl or as if I'm frowning. I don't know why. But I'm really not pissed! :|

I have the same problem as FN and kitty with regard to being perceived as a snob/elitist because I like to have intelligent discussions. I'm also often perceived as a bitch for speaking my mind freely.

I am far less liberal than most people seem to think I am. Just because I am a feminist and a politically active Democrat does not put me at the extreme left.

I can be a tad spacey at times because my mind works quickly and I need time to process what I'm thinking. People often take that for stupidity.

I grew up in the South and I've lost the accent but not the manners. Sometimes people think I'm sucking up when I say "yes, ma'am" or the like. I was brought up to speak respectfully but since I moved to California I have noticed that people often mistake common courtesy for ass kissing.

People think I make a lot more money than I do as well. I make far less than most of my friends who are also employed full-time - I just know how to live well on what I have.

I run very hot and cold, but I hide it well. People think I am much more placid than I am sometimes.

I am unapologetic for who I am - love me, or leave me alone.

I'm very confident and outgoing...people can percieve this as arrogance.
I speak well and use words and expressions outside the 'normal' range...people often think I'm gay.
I also refuse to talk about people behind their backs....this has often led to others assuming that I'm taking one side or another

people ive talked with online whove never met me in person assume im a pale white skinny antisocial nerd (ahaha actually i am!)

people that know me irl but dont know me to the bone, so to speak, never believe i am a dork. takes a while to convince most people.

people like I am a dumbass stoner. For the record I am not. I rarely smoke at the moment. and Unless permastoned I am not dumb, and even permastoned I am just a little slower than usual.

I love bluelight... it's good to know I'm not the only one who thinks about some of these things that people have posted.

I used to be mistaken for being really innocent... all the time! I'm the quiet girl with the sweet smile and people would always get shocked when they saw the not-so-innocent side of me. I don't think this happens so much anymore, but I am still a lot less innocent than those who know me think I am. Even some people who are pretty close to me have no idea how much of a pervert I really am!

My quietness has also been mistaken for snobbishness... people have also told me that I seem to be a very calm and secure person. calm, maybe, at least on the outside. But secure (and the kind they meant was the ability to feel secure in social situations)...god no. I have some kind of inner security which is slowly developing but I still feel like a 100% social retard at times.

People get really weird impressions from me.

A lot of people get super intimidated by me, think I'm very standoffish and confident & critical..

I'm pretty much the opposite... ridiculously insecure and anxcious (easily intimidated by others), and way too nice and accepting.

Or, people never think I do drugs and half the time drink... smoking everyone assumes but not drugs or drinking. In high school half the kids in my grade thought I was "straight edge" despite going off to rehab every six months or so for meth and coke...

That if I don't wanna tell them something that I don't like them. So not true ; I just keep secrets to myself, and I have a lot of them. I've learnt never to trust anyone, never believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.

People also think I am standoffish at times when I'm pissed off, or that I think I'm superior to them. Sometimes I just don't feel like talking about bullshit. It can work the opposite way - I am a very social person and connect with people very easily. I think this is a great skill, but lots of men take my friendliness the wrong way and think I'm into them - not true !

I can be pretty intimidating I guess, the drugs make me get a 'hard' look in my eye, and I never reveal anything I know which makes people think strange things. I'm upfront; if I don't like you - you'll know about it, and I will tell you why. You won't walk all over me but I can be the best friend you've ever had if you're just as upfront as me, no bullshit.

Anyway, people think I'm angry a lot of the time when I'm actually apathetic.

Same here. And like a few people already said my sarcastic twisted self deprocating humor catches a lot of people off guard. I also don't front and lie to make social interactions smoother (even though I probably should some times).

I definately feel like a lot of people don't get me. I'm a really easy going guy but I'm shy and introverted so I often come across as pissed off and stuck up. And I'm really jaded from jail/rehab/drug addiction that I don't relate well with people my own age who mostly haven't had 1/2 my life experience. If I do tell people people either wanna dicksize and tell their stories or look at me like I'm a scum bag.
And everyone thinks I'm this huge stoner when I haven't smoked weed daily in at least 3 or 4 years. I was a huge stoner but that was a long time ago. At the same time no one has a clue I used to be a junkie.

Last edited:
Everybody thinks I'm really shy and introverted because I'm quiet a lot of the time. What it really boils down to is if I don't have something relevant or meaningful to say, I keep my fucking mouth shut. I'm just not into the whole idle conversation and meaningless blather just so there's noise. I'm just to the point and comfortable with silence.

A lot of people get super intimidated by me, think I'm very standoffish and confident & critical..

I'm pretty much the opposite... ridiculously insecure and anxcious (easily intimidated by others), and way too nice and accepting.

I'm exactly the same...lots of people have told me I'm intimidating when in fact I'm basically intimidated by most people I meet. They think I'm a bitch and stuck up, and it pisses me off that that's their first impression then I have to work to prove that wrong.

Also, a lot of people think I'm a total druggie/wreckhead though in fact I've been pretty sensible in this regard for a good 6 months. Actually on second thoughts, nope, their judgement is probably correct...:|

wowww, i can relate to everyone on this page. really, we're all talking about the same thing.

I can be very reserved, and stoic in nature around new people. If there's not some sort of external stimuli for us to talk about, or I don't have anything incredibly interesting to say, I won't let it phase me and try to force conversation. When this happens people think I'm disinterested in them, arrogant, or in a bad mood.

I dunno, there's something about me that if I'm not the one initiating the conversation with you, then I'm that asshole who think he's better than everyone. Maybe it's cause i'm tall...

Even when people are willing to approach me, I can sense that cautious sort of vibe from them, like they're trying to talk to a sleeping lion without waking him up at the same time. :| It's great to feel that release of tension when they see that I'm not really like that.

I've been called distant and uncaring before, and that hurts. A bone of contention has been that I supposedly don't keep in close touch with my friends, despite the fact that I don't have a car, and hate talking on the phone unless I *need* to talk to someone, which happens rarely.

people take me to be an asshole. while i definitely can be an asshole, its more so compassion. atleast for people i know and am close to. i have very little compassion for people i dont know/hardly know, so thats probably why i come of as an ass

Sometimes- seemingly everything about me:)
Online I have noticed people take me serious when I am not.........
IRL- Some people think I am a bitch- or that I am cold......
Some people think I am too nice........it just depends......

That I'm a bitch, never 'let people in', and keep everyone at arm's length.

I mean, maybe people are arm's length but that's cause until I get to know somebody and feel I can trust them, I don't. :\

I'm not a bitch, I just do not trust people and I am a very private person. But once I get to know people i warm up to them. Just takes a while.