• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

adulterants in heroin

Dope_User

Bluelighter
Common cuts for Heroin

I seen various cuts mentioned in various threads, but no exact topic like this so I hope it's ok to post.

First, I'd like to know the "active" cuts used in heroin and how they potentiate or change the high. I'd also like to know the inactive cuts and why these are chosen. Thanks.

thanks...but after reading that, it was more of a flame war than an informative thread...although there were a few good posts. I'm still curious as to how such substances like quinine(sp?) potentiate heroin.

Last edited:
Excellent! I was looking for this information as well!

shals :D

cuts...

There are some cuts that are common to dope type and also to specific geographical regions.U.S.,powdered:lactose[for volume/bulk] and quinine[flavoring and to increase the rush]in varying ratios but almost always together.Currently people have turned to other adulterants[mannitol,inositol,lidocaine[mostly prior to distribution from the lab].U.S.,tar:coffee,molasses,plant matter,lactose[when the tar is dissolved and then reformulated].All these cuts[for tar]are for volume/bulk.In Europe and certain regions in Asia[both S.W. and S.E.]the powdered #3 commonly known as brown sugar,chinezen,etc.is manufactured for smoking and as such has cuts of a different nature:caffeine[in amounts up to 40% of the gross weight of the product].this is because caffeine burns at 100 degrees centigrade as opposed to heroin which burns at about 340 degrees centigrade[in pure form].By igniting at the lower tempature the heroin will burn without decomposing,thus leaving that much more that can be inhaled.Also:quinine and strychnine which are added as flavoring agents.Quinine gives a distinctive chemical taste to the mostly odorless heroin[the same reason that it is used in the U.S.].Strychnine is used because back in the 1920s,pharmaceutical heroin tablets in China often contained it as an additive.Addicts would smoke these tablets and the taste became an important association with quality smoking heroin.Additionally,many #3 producers add a small amount of phenobarbitone[a sedative]to potentiate the effects of smoked heroin.Sometimes the barbitone is added in greater quantities changing the common brown color of the #3 to a grey or very offwhite,as happened in Hong Kong during the 70s with "Pearl"brand #3,named for the whitish-grey color given by the barbitone.#3 has the distinction of being the only type of heroin[so far]to have its color changed post manufacture as a way of expressing brand name or implied quality.A good example is the "Red Rooster"brand,identified by its bright red color.The color is achieved by using forms of food coloring.To date this brand [or method of cutting]has not been found outside of S.E.Asia.The more sought after #4 white heroin produced in S.E. Asia[and very rarely in S.W.Asia]is cut in much the same fashion as U.S.powder,but not until reaching its destination-never in the lab[as is the case with white Colombian powder].Of course this is just a brief overview and in no way definitive...

^Dude, your post's are very informative but you gotta learn to hit the Enter key. I don't want to read through all that garbage.

working on it...

thank you and thank you,but in the case of your latter comment,when it was posted there was a problem with B.L.in that indentation was lost when long posts were posted.I have already been through it with 2 moderators who said the same thing happened with them.In any event,I will edit them back in as time allows...

Some heroin is not heroin, but really diluted fentanyl. In this case, mannitol is used pretty frequently. When it gets into the hands of the dealer though, you never really know wtf they are going to do it.

Thinking about the cuts with heroin, what is the best action for one to take if they suspect they've IV'ed a bad shot? (or suspect after IV'ing it's not heroin)

Has anyone been in this situation before? - I mean the effects could be anything depending on what was 'really" shot - but has anyone came across this before?

shals!

.If I'm worried about it being fake or not I dip my finger in it and taste a little.Dope has a distinct taste at least the powder does.

Hey Bud,

Your a wealth of knowledge!

Can you describe the taste for me? - I tasted it last night, it tasted sort of chemically, a little bitter I think...

shals :D

I can't off the top of my head compare it to anything but if you've tasted it it can't be mistaken.I can tell you some of the fake shit I've personally tasted has ranged from being gritty like crushed up dry wall,powdered sugar, or whatever else the fuckers felt like taking advantage of a dope sick asshole with.
I don't know about you Aussies but if you've tasted dope around the Philly/wilmington area it's as I said a distinct taste that no dealer has came close to replicating or bothered too.But if you can liken it better to another flavor then me let the wealth of your IV exeperiences guide us all.
I've done it for awhile and have gotten to a point where most of the time I can tell as soon as it's dumped out, usually in the bottom of a soda or beer can, just by the texture.Well I tasted it not even 3 hours ago and besides it being bitter in my opinion there really is nothing else it can be compared to,at least nothing else I've ever tasted.Tell me shals when you say chemically could you better describe what you mean?
Dope tastes like dope and I never tasted anything quite like it before I did it and since haven't.
Also shals if you've shot a hot shot depending on the degree there usually ain't much you can do.If you are by yourself and you shot poison you won't have enough time to dial 911(probably won't realize what's happening to you).If someone is with you once they see you turning purple the best thing they can do is start CPR and call 911.If you get a bad shot and it's lethal chances are(99.9%) that you will not be able to think anything much less how to save yourself.I ODed once when i drank alot of Bacardi Limon and shot and don't remember anything but the next day my brother was telling me he pulled me off the bathroom floor and put me to bed and prayed I'd live.Obviously I did!
Once being a bystandard to someone overdosing,was driving and talking to him while he was in the backseat and suddenly he didn't answer I look back and he was purple.All we could do was have one friend start CPR(mouth to mouth),have a friend with the drugs roll,and I called 911 and thank god the bastard made it.
Also people that I've seen OD on a few occasions were shot up with basic table salt and water and they came too.I never bought into this but people that have done this to the ODed person swore that it'd shock the system and they'd come toAs I said i don't believe it was anything more then luck but each time in my presence it was done they'd come too!I think it was a coincidence!

Last edited:
shal please accept my apologies for being such a defensive and venemous asshole.Please read my PMs and accept my apologies and if you don't I'll understand.
Again I'm sorry!!!!!

the taste...

You are not tasting heroin,you are tasting the "cut."This is the main reason that quinine is such a common adulterant.Opiates do have an inherently bitter taste but illicit heroin is so impure that it is near impossible to gauge the taste.I know...What about that vinegar taste/odor?That is the most significant precursor,acetic anhydride.This chemical is what makes heroin different from morphine[and all other opiates].

shots of saltwater and other myths...

The one and only thing that will absolutely save your life when overdosing on heroin[or any other opiate]is Narcan,an opiate antagonist.That is why many overdosing but conscious users will beg bystanders not to call for help.Narcan will reverse ALL opiates so that an addict will go into immediate withdrawal[more exactly the second day of withdrawal where all the dope in their system has been evacuated].

What about salt water?That is a very old myth.I remember "old heads"telling it to me as gospel truth 25 years ago.unfortunately I have found[from first hand experience]that it does not work.In addition,in researching the subject I have came to the same conclusion.I do not know why people would think that treating one salt with another salt would help.My only guess is that somehow people associated the saline drip that one gets when admitted to the hospital[ for almost any disorder],with overdose treatment .

could anyone tell me what the most common adulterants and cuts found in heroin are? Preferably both active and inactive and if possible with some literature to back it up? I have been asked by many to develop a test fro heroin, but I have to admit I really do not know much about it, nor the trade...

Answer...

Not only does it vary from nation to nation, but from locale to locale within those various nations as well. Here in NYC, the gnerally confirmed epicenter of international heroin use, it used to be almost always lactose and quinine in an 80:20 ration [lactose repsenting the larger number] or lactose, mannitol, and quinine in a 70:10:20 split [again, with lactose represented by the larger number]. Lactoseof course is milk sugar. As it is completely inert, it is used to bulk up the heroin. Mannitol, a substance usually used as a baby laxative, is used to fluff up the heroin and further increase the bulk. It also has the advantage of helping to dispel the related constipation that effects most opiate/opioid users. Quinine, an anti - malarial medication , is usedto helpprovide the illusion of a more chemical odor and taste in the heroin that by now has very little of both. While mannitol is slightly chemical in taste, lactose is sweet. Quinine also is believed to potentiate the "rush" of injected heroin.

Nowadays, since at least the mid 90s, anything under the sun has been used. Part of the problem lies in the nitial maufacture and distribution. While NYC used to enjoy high quality S.E. Asian # 4 white heroin, that was never adulterated/diluted prior to reaching these shores, it now hs been replaced by a lower quality white to brown Colombian product. Although it is also # 4 type, it is almost always less then 85% pure when it is releasedfor distribution. Unlike Mexican heroin it is not the fault of the manufactureing technique, but of a lack of effort with regard to overall purity. Instead of taking the neccessary time and effort to recrystaliize it until it is much more pure, they aim for quantity over quality which of course results in an inferior product. In addition, Colombian manufacturers have taken the unprecedented step of adulterating their product at the point of manufacture. They mosr commonly use lidocaine, a habit that can be blamed on their experiencein manufacturing cocaine.

In other parts of the nation, where Mexican "Tar" is the predominant form of heroin, there are other common adulterants. Aside from lactose, etc. that mostpeople do not even really think are possible adulterants for "Tar," such inert substances as ground coffee and molasses are usedto increase "Tar's" bulk.

Sometimes one finds dangerous substances as the aforementioned scopalmine. One also finds the otc medication Drimen used from time to time in Chicago area heroin...this is usally indicated by the red specs throughout the powedr.

In other nations one finds a different type of heroin predominating depending on the region. Europe is innundated with # 3 heroin which is expressly made for smoking. Becauseof this it is almost always adulterated with up to 40% caffeine which makes it more conducive to smoking. Other times one finds barbitone and even strychnine as well. The barbitone is used to potentiate the heroin and the strychnine is used as a flavoring agent. It is present in such minute concentrations that it does not pose any real health risk, to even the most hardened users. Strychnine is included because of the origin of smoking heroin.

When the practice started in 1920s Shanghai the most commonly sold form was a little red tablet that contained strychnine. After other forms took hold, older users associated the strychnine flavor with quality so that it then became amarketing ploy and has persisted until the present day.

Anyway, hope that bit helped.