PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Natural Psychotropics and Ethnobotanics Thread

genaro

Bluelighter
Subthreads

original post:
Please could you list the best psychedelic entheogens you've personally tried (plants & cactii, not shrooms) as I'm planing to get live plants of every valuable entheogen specie just for the pleasure to grow them myself (not for consumption).

I think would get :

kratom
iboga seeds
salvia
rivea corymbosa (ololiuqui) seeds
hbwr seeds
peyote and san pedro
banisteriopsis caapi
banisteriopsis rusbayana
peganum harmala
psychotria viridis, acacia maidenii, mimosa hostilis, virola, yopo (as these are the best dmt plants around...meaning highly concentrated)
tobacco (because it's one of the oldest indian's sacred plant, even if it's not psychedelic)
calea zacatechichi (poorly psychedelic but very interesting for lucid dreaming)
datura, brugmansia aurea & suaveolens and mandragora (I just want these because these are the mysterious plants of the witches, not for consumption in anyway)

What else would be a truly psychoactive plant ? (I mean I don't want poor stuff like catnip or nutmeg which are psychoactive but absolutely not in an interesting way for mind exploration, I only want the famous one, the one which take you for a big ride!).

Here are a few plants I have suppliers for (live plants) BUT all these I think I don't need as it seems they are poorly valuable for true entheogenic use (tell me if I'm wrong about any of these):

desmanthus illinoensis, justicia pectoralis, desmodium tilaefolium, phalaris, arundo donax...( but I don't think I need any other dmt plant as I will already have the best ones, as listed above...)
acorus calamus
galanga
damiana
voacanga
kanna
tagetes lucida
cytisus canariensis (broom)
sinicuichi
coleus
kava kava
khat
lagochilus inebrians
yohimbe
leonotis leonorus (wild dagga)
passiflora incarnata (passion flower)
artemisia absinthium (wormwood)
cofee, mate, tea and guarana,ephedra sinica (these sounds of no psychedelic value)
lactuca virosa, prickly poppy, california poppy, opium poppy seeds (those plants don't sound psychedelic in any way so I don't want these)
cannabis I don't want as it's illegal to grow (even one single plant)

Any other suggestions? (from personal experience)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would def. consider khat and sinicuichi, as well as all the other psychoactive Trichocereus cacti.

Khat, is derfinately psychoactive, having tried it myself, it had a decent amphetamine type feel to it.

Voacanga contains carbomethoxyibogaine, and voacangine, the use is poorly understood, but there may well be significant potential present.

I would grow Lagochilus Inebrians myself if I could obtain the seed or plant cuttings, I have never tried it, but it is extremely endangered, and growing it can only help ensure the survival of the species:)

There are a good few other solanaceous plants that are good to grow.

Methysticodendron Amnesiacum, also pretty damn rare, contains a LOT of alkaloids, 80-90% of which being scopolamine.

Taique, Desfontainia Spinosa, looks sort of like a small, erect bush, with very prickly, holly like leaves, and orange tubular flowers, unknown alkaloid content, my guess is probably tropanes, given the columbian name "borrachero", meaning "intoxicator", the same name as given to Methysticodendron, some Daturas and I think, to Brunfelsias, typifying solanaceous tropane-bearers.

You could grow Brunfelsia, again, tropane packed, but quite attractive plant.

Have you considered Atropa Belladonna? both the normal and white forms would make a nice sample in any entheological garden.

I am thinking of growing some iboga myself, apparently, the orange colored narrow fruits are edible, nice looking plants, apparently a little touchy to get growing at first, but easier when they grow larger, requires quite a bit of humidity.

Salvia Divinorum?

There is a possible iboga analogue-plant known as Iporuru or Niaando, Alchornea Floribunda, and a related Alchornea species, I have done a little work with the plant myself, why not consider trying to aqquire seeds or plants? (please PM me if ever you find one.)

Jatropha Grossidentata apparently contains diterpenes, and the root is smoked by Ayoreo indians to communicate with spirits, make sure you get this species though, and no other Jatropha, many are irritant and toxic, and a few, contain toxalbumens. An alternative name for the plant is Caniroja.

Cypripedium Calceolus var Pubescens, is in the UK, a very rare orchid, you could perhaps, buy seed, and grow this, as I read on the Shroomery, of one person growing this for the roots, which had a strong psychedelic-opiate type effect at 1g of the root orally, I would not condone someone hunting for this, as it IS extremely rare, but growing it might be interesting.

The alkaloid Hordenine, found cheifly in Lophophora species, (N,N-dimethyltyramine) is apparently a sympathomimetic of some sort, and is found in barley roots.

The wood of Juniperus Macropoda is apparently strongly hallucinogenic when smoked, is it also known to contain norpseudoephedrine (not sure which stereoisomers).

The plant Lycopodium Gnidiodes is apparently smokeable, with effects similar to THC intoxication, I find this quite interesting, as it would be the first known instance of a moss or fern having psychoactive properties.

Some Lycopodium species contain toxic alkaloids, so again, the species is important, with only this one being known to be suitable.

There is a species of Acacia, I forget which one, which produces methamphetamine in its rootbark, I want one of these acacias Myself, the rootbark would make for quite a potent pick-me-up tea as it is, or could be extracted, perhaps the plant would be illegal to harvest, but its not at all well known, and I VERY much doubt anyone w/o extensive knowledge of ethnobotany=D

Epithelantha Macromeris, a small button cactus produces the phenethylamine alkaloid Macromerine, reputed to be a sort of very narcotic semi-psychedelic.

Coryphantha Macromeris, another cactus producing Macromerine.

Pancreatium Trianthum, is a bulb, rubbed into deep gashes in the heads of some african tribes, causing visual hallucinations, related species are cardiotoxic.

Mescal beans (Sophora Secundiflora), are a very attractive vine, although unsuitable for use as an entheogen, they have historical value in a collection, they contain the highly toxic pyridine alkaloid cytisine.

Ephedra is an easy plant to grow, so theres no reason not to really, the seeds are dirt cheap, and grow easily.

Wormwood, I grow myself, it grows very vigorously outside, and is great smelling, good for keeping flies and bugs out of your house.

Limpet Chicken said:
The plant Lycopodium Gnidiodes is apparently smokeable, with effects similar to THC intoxication, I find this quite interesting, as it would be the first known instance of a moss or fern having psychoactive properties.

Does anyone have extra info of this plant? Sound very interesting..

Aren't iboga seeds illegal?

I'm growing khat, its gonna be a long haul, I think it takes about 3 years for it to be at any usable size. Mine is a couple months old and about 5 inches tall. Looks very healthy though!!

yeah i cant find any info on google about the moss.... anyone know where it grows?

http://www.erowid.org/plants/plants_writings1.shtml>
there is a blurb saying the same thing in this erowid writing, probably the same writing the info came from

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17601647&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum>

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...ez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
a bit on alkaloids found in the lycopodium sp.
here is a bit on the alkaloids from lycopodium

are the alkaloids in that article responsible for the thc like effects?

and how about the psychoactive orchid there?

theres pleanty of websites talking about it, and aparently its not as rare in north america. does anyone know the active ingredients in the root?

Are iboga seeds psychoactive? It is always the rootbark that is used in traditional shamanism.

PsyGhost said:
Aren't iboga seeds illegal?

I'm growing khat, its gonna be a long haul, I think it takes about 3 years for it to be at any usable size. Mine is a couple months old and about 5 inches tall. Looks very healthy though!!

Growing Iboga or Khat is illegal in many countries

Uusally with these types of plants its the consumption thats illegal I believe. Thats a nice list of enthnobotanicals though....:)

dried wormwood can be extracted with 91% iso alcohol. make sure the alcohol doesnt have scents in it. the extract is a tar and can be smoked. real good with weed.

damiana and kava kava have highly psychedelic effects on myself

also, ginko biloba, gotu kola and passion flower are fairly psychedelic for me

some additional traditional psychedelics are the ariocarpus cacti (fissuratus and retusus<spelled wrong probably). i remember reading that some natives reveared them as being more potent than peyote, but more sketchy because the spirits aren't as welcoming.

i would suggest buying 'plants of the gods', this book has a list of 50+ psychedelics which are not very well known of but have traditional use.

^^^I'm curious how you find damiana and kava psychedelic. Kava is slightly entheogenic, but hardly to be honest, and damiana is a very mild euphorant/relaxant to me. Gink biloba is traditionally a brain tonic and nootropic, gotu kola is a stimulant and passionflower spp. contain small amunts of harmine. and is sedating. I don't see how they could possibly be called psychedelic.

I always found kava to be worthless until I was feeling a good amount of anxiety yesterday. I had a good dose, and before I knew it, I felt quite great.

As for sinicuichi, this reminds me to post my one report of it in TR. I had a horrific reaction to it that I have heard of a few others having. Look for it momentarily (as it is already written and on Erowid).

traditionally natives used higher doses of kava kava as a psychedelic....'to a similar effect of psilocybin or lsd' <as i read.

when i eat a quarter ounce or so of strong kava root it produces a pronounced trance. on one experience a yard of grass appeared as water, similar to mushroom waves. my psychedelic experience/common sense obviously pointed out that this was only the light traveling, but it was pretty damn intense.

damiana is almost too intense for my likings, lol (i'm serious though). when i smoke a decent sized joint of it, it seems to have a distince edge to it. almost like the 'edge' of a mushroom come-up.

both of these produce marked open eye visuals for myself, but then again so does cannabis.

i will note that my experiences with these were combined with cannabis, though i took them at different times so there is no question that the herbs had distinct effect.

ginko produces a visual clarity similar to low doses of mescaline, as well as a trance. passion flower is mostly sedative, but, possibly due to the harmine, it is quite visionary for myself.

i would describe gotu as trip coffee. it contains caffeine, so it does have stimulating effects. however, i get a very pronounced presence with gotu that i don't get as much with coffee.

*note i am a sensitive individual to all the psychedelics i've experimented with...though friends of mine who have tried these have noted similar effects.

then again, if you're taking them to 'trip out' they most likely will not comply.

i view all plants as sacred entities, and approach with a very open mind.

Hmm, I've smoked plenty of damiana, taking ginko, and had heaps of kava, upwards of 40grams of tongan (yes, I vomited unbelievably, and was sick in the guts for days and yes, it was foolish) and never felt anything psychedelic from any of them.... perhaps you are using the term psychedelic a bit freely, I mean there is actually not much evidence to say that damiana is active at all, and the trace quantites of harmine in passionflower have basically NO MAOI qualities at all. I say that after combing it with DMT many many times...

psychedelic=mind manifesting

thats what those do to me...manifest in my mind

i will say that these are more subtle psychedelics though