• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Natural Psychotropics and Ethnobotanics Thread

hmm heres my experience

San Pedro Powder (great stuff, cactus powder i found to be active at several grams and powerful at doses of 15-20 grams) I cant wait to get some more of this...

Kava Kava ( very good if you find the right supplier, 84% paste is fun but overpriced, the upside is that it is quite euphoric if you dose high)

Kanna: tried a few times but never really got to into it

Coca leaf : Still on the fence on this one, a tablospoon boiled with kratom leads to an interesting high, strong and pleasent stimulation noted, but can go overboard if i smoke to much weed on this combo

Kratom: My love... never had i touched an opiate before this but it is now my baby - got me off being depended on kava, and i enjoy being depended on kratom more than any other 'addicition' Also its the first thing to end my residual amphetamine and ecstasy cravings from years back.

Blue lotus (makes a strong tea, pretty nice especialy if your buzzed on alcohol and want to up the high an interesting way instead of just getting more drunk)

Wild Dagga flowers (if your supplier is good then this is cool stuff, kinda of a mella euphoric stone, different than cannibus in that it makes you outgoing. It feels really good on the lungs and makes my breathing feel strong. Great to mix with cannibus as well, sometimes i smoke it before so im more relaxed for the trippier cannibus stone. I plan on keeping it stocked

Rhodiolo Rosea (rose root, a russian adoptagen, that can be quite potent, it increases serotonin and dopamine, and their efficiency i believe

Valerian Root ( A strong tea of this will relax you in such a way that anything pleasurable you may do you can appreciate more fully, also makes for great sleep, and yes it makes me feel high, i always find that i feel quite handsome and loving when i drink it.

^^ i agree sida cordifolia is nice i have two forms of it, a dried powder which i use a tablespoon of
and a 10% alkaloid extraction which i use 1/2 tsp of and i feel as if im on speed

arise thread arise

Ok so I started experimenting with kratom once again. 8.8g powdered leaf in hot tea form (strained). Got me stimulated for sure, definitely felt like I was on amphetamine with a little more of a head buzz thing going on.

I was looking more for the opiate side of things, but this time and the last before it (months ago) have been on the stimulant side of things.

A dose related thing?

Ok so I started experimenting with kratom once again. 8.8g powdered leaf in hot tea form (strained). Got me stimulated for sure, definitely felt like I was on amphetamine with a little more of a head buzz thing going on.
how is the stimulating effect of low kratom doses actually explained pharmalogically?

well im not a pharmacologist but of kratom the literature says, "an increase in the excitability of the cranio-sacral and sympathetic portion of the involuntary nervous system, and an increase in the excitability of the medulla and the motor centers of the CNS"

Sinicuichi

I have heard terrible things about this stuff. I thinks the effect of acetyl-choline is to blame.

African Dream Root, Silene capensis (Ubulawu)

Anyone have any experience with this, from the research I have done on it, it induces very vivid dreams which sounds very interesting to me.

I was planning on procuring a decent quantity of such herb and doing some experimenting with it I am fascinated with dreaming.

Any feedback I can get on this would be great, perhaps some tips on how to consume it or what mindset to go to sleep while on it, etc.

I will also let you all know how it works out when I try it out.

what is the active chemical?

Silene capensis (syn. Silene undulata) (also known as African Dream Root) is a plant native to the Eastern Cape of South Africa, where it is regarded by the Xhosa people as a sacred plant. Its root is traditionally used to induce vivid (and according to the Xhosa, prophetic) lucid dreams during the initiation process of shamans, classifying it a naturally-occurring oneirogen similar to the more well-known dream herb Calea zacatechichi.

I asume the herb its self is the name of the unique active chemical in it.

** It is a 100% natural herb and I know it is safe to use and it has been used by shamans for centuries **

Just because shamans have used it for centuries doesnt make it safe! Wern't there traditions that ate datura/nightshade for shamanic purposes? (Presumably in places where nothing better grew >.> )

A quick googling yielded no information about the active chemicals (i am guessing it's not known), and lots of people shoveling it down their throats and debating whether it did anything notable.

Just because shamans have used it for centuries doesnt make it safe! Wern't there traditions that ate datura/nightshade for shamanic purposes? (Presumably in places where nothing better grew >.> )

A quick googling yielded no information about the active chemicals (i am guessing it's not known), and lots of people shoveling it down their throats and debating whether it did anything notable.

Your point?
Datura when properly used is safe. To be more specific the main active chemicals in Datura happen to be scopolamine, hyoscyamine, and atropine all of which you can find in FDA approved prescriptions used for various different things.

*** READ THIS ***
*WARNING: Datura is a very dangerous deleriant which can cause full blown psychosis / delerium and even death if improperly used. Do not under any circumstances attempt to dose it on your own.*

With that being said note I said "when properly used" believe it or not ancient shaman knew what they were doing. Through years of experimentation they knew what parts of the plant had what types of potency for the specific climate they were grown in allowing them to distribute a safe and predictable dose.

Although Datura was used in some ancient traditions it was pretty rare. You are probably thinking of "Tree Datura / Brugmansia" which was commonly used in traditional Peruvian Ayahusca which is similar but not the exact same as the Datura you are thinking of.

Although the shaman may not have had access to the advanced equipment we have these days they did however have thousands of years of test dummies to perfect and determine the safety of their concoctions (probably tons of deaths in the process) whereas we rely on animal testing which produces similar but not exact results.

I suggest doing some research before simply writing off shaman as a bunch of toad licking crazies eating anything that makes them high. Researchers even to this day are learning and finding many natural remedies from these shaman and their ancient brews, some producing even better results than the synthetic drugs we use today.

I have access to a ton of private pharmacology journals through my University. I plan to search through them when I have the time to see if any research has been done on ubulawu. Although it is unlikely to still be 100% proven safe (what drug is 100% safe) I would trust a natural herb that has been used for thousands of years before many of the newly designed research chemicals with little to no history of human use many people eat by the masses these days.

My main point being with the proper precautions and dosing procedures although it is not foolproof "Just because shamans have used it for centuries" makes it safer to try then a lot of the shit people dose these days.

** Now no one misunderstand me, I am not saying just because shaman used it go off and eat a bunch of psychoactive herbs! Do the proper research to find a safe dose, know the possible side effects and always have a backup plan like anti-psychotic drugs on hand and a trip sitter, etc **

This is why I made this post, to ask if anyone has experience with this herb so I can learn what to expect and what is safe to do with it / what is not.

Last edited:
Your point?
Now no one misunderstand me, I am not saying just because shaman used it go off and eat a bunch of psychoactive herbs! Do the proper research to find a safe dose, know the possible side effects and always have a backup plan like anti-psychotic drugs on hand and a trip sitter, etc

I might be wrong, but the anti-psychotics only work to bring down trippers on drugs that act on the serotonin system.
I don't think it would do much for someone who took too much datura (an anticholinergic).

I might be wrong, but the anti-psychotics only work to bring down trippers on drugs that act on the serotonin system.
I don't think it would do much for someone who took too much datura (an anticholinergic).

Most antipsychotics cause sedation which would help calm down and prevent someone experiencing drug induced psychosis / delerium from harming themself.

Unless you grow your own Datura in a controlled environment the potency would vary greatly which is why it is such a dangerous plant. One flower from one place might not even effect you while another might be potent enough to poison you badly enough to cause death, no matter what drug you have it wont help cure an overdose which is why I don't recommend Datura at all.

Which ethnobotanicals are worth trying?

I've currently got a package on the way with:

1 ounce of blue lotus
1 gram of 85% extract blue lotus
1 ounce premium bali kratom
1 ounce "super" indo kratom
1 ounce spike tipped thai kratom (similar to maeng da)
1 ounce salvia leaves
1 gram 25X salvia

I'd like to know how people prefer to take blue lotus and what the dosages are.

Should it be infused with wine?
If I infuse it in wine for a week, how much should I put in for 2 people?
How much blue lotus is required for tea for 2 people?

I think I am going to smoke the blue lotus extract and let bluelight know if it was worth it.

With the flowers I'll make a wine, and see if there is any leftover for making a tea or just smoking the flowers.

I'd also like to know what are people's opinions on the different kinds of kratom?

It seems like bali is the best deal, but one of the least potent.
I also hear extracts are a waste of time unless you have a huge kratom/opiate tolerance.

I'm also wondering if any other ethnobotanicals are worth trying out and what their effects are such as:

pedicularis densiflora (Indian Warrior)
pedicularis groenlandica (Elephants Head)
mulungu (shredded bark or extract?)
kava kava
passionflower
wild dagga (lion's tail) etc.
ashwagandha
kanna (sceletium toruosum)
skull cap
wormwood
damiana (I've heard doesn't do anything)

I don't see ethnobotanicals talked about on bluelight very often. Hopefully we can get a discussion going.

My favorite natural entheogens in order:

1) San Pedro
2) Marijuana
3) Mushrooms
4) Salvia
5) Kratom powdered extract
6) Kava Kava
7) Kanna
8 ) Mugwort/wormwood
9) Catnip

^^ I'd like to hear of your experiences with kava, kanna, mugwort/wormwood and catnip such as doses, preparation, r.o.a. etc. I've just scratched the surface of all the unique plants out there and I'd like to get an idea of what I might be interested in from my trusted source of information.... bluelight!

What are peoples experienes with ethnobotanicals? Which ones are worth it?

Kava i just used the tincture from the health food store, i've heard it's not as powerful compared to the actual root and by itself the tincture wasn't terribly effective, but it does combine with Marijuana beautifully and I have even got some mild visual distortions with that mix on probably about 1/4 of the bottle. My buddy while on the mix completely forgot i was in the room with him and he was pretty much zoned out looking at his computer. If you use the tincture i recommend doing a dose until you feel it, instead of following erowid or other dosage reports. For R.o.a i pretty much used the accompanying dropper for a bit then mixed it with some milk when i couldn't take it straight anymore, the milk still didn't taste that great but was better.

Kanna, mugwort/wormwood and catnip i have all smoked, and then i also snorted kanna once (not recommended) and made a mugwort/damiana tea which was not that effective. Kanna is a decent high, it lacks some of the euphoria or analytic aspects of marijuana. I smoked a mugwort/wormwood mix and for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes the high is really pleasant, i don't get anywhere near as stoned as pot but it's very lucid and lacks that cloudy head feeling of pot which i enjoy. If that were to persist for a bit longer i would say it's worth it but it only lasts that long and the smoke is to harsh for me to redose. Catnip is also mildly effective but worthless and left me with a headache.

My favorite natural entheogens in order:

1) San Pedro
2) Marijuana
3) Mushrooms
4) Salvia
5) Kratom powdered extract
6) Kava Kava
7) Kanna
8 ) Mugwort/wormwood
9) Catnip

Kava i just used the tincture from the health food store, i've heard it's not as powerful compared to the actual root and by itself the tincture wasn't terribly effective, but it does combine with Marijuana beautifully and I have even got some mild visual distortions with that mix on probably about 1/4 of the bottle. My buddy while on the mix completely forgot i was in the room with him and he was pretty much zoned out looking at his computer. If you use the tincture i recommend doing a dose until you feel it, instead of following erowid or other dosage reports. For R.o.a i pretty much used the accompanying dropper for a bit then mixed it with some milk when i couldn't take it straight anymore, the milk still didn't taste that great but was better.

Kanna, mugwort/wormwood and catnip i have all smoked, and then i also snorted kanna once (not recommended) and made a mugwort/damiana tea which was not that effective. Kanna is a decent high, it lacks some of the euphoria or analytic aspects of marijuana. I smoked a mugwort/wormwood mix and for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes the high is really pleasant, i don't get anywhere near as stoned as pot but it's very lucid and lacks that cloudy head feeling of pot which i enjoy. If that were to persist for a bit longer i would say it's worth it but it only lasts that long and the smoke is to harsh for me to redose. Catnip is also mildly effective but worthless and left me with a headache.

So you thought catnip was worthless, yet it is on your list of favorite entheogens? lol Sorry, it's just that I thought you were endorsing it. So I'll scratch catnip off the list.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with this, from the research I have done on it, it induces very vivid dreams which sounds very interesting to me.

Yeah, I tried it for the first time last night. I took probably a little over a gram, but I have read many sources say that 0.5 grams is a dose. I also read that dosing heavier will not give a stronger effect, as it will have a purging effect. I did not find that to be true. I experience no nausea or purging effects.

Just before going to bed, I soaked the roots in hot water for 15 mins to soften them and then just chewed them until there was nothing left to chew. I discarded the used roots. It just basically tasted like you would expect any dried bark to taste. Not too bad. I was surprised at how sleepy it made me feel within 20 mins. Surprised bc I don't get drowsy easily, so it definitely had an effect.

I will try to take a lower dosage today because here's what happened...... the world actually became slightly dreamy even before going to bed. Shortly after lying down, I started having the most defined and intense pre sleep images I have ever had (hypnagogic imagery). I didn't actually see colors, but I was having very clear dream like images and thoughts in my head. The problem with this was that I was still awake and the intense imagery prevented me from getting to sleep. My mind felt too active to go to sleep. I actually slept VERY little last night. The effects of the herb seemed to have worn off by the time I got up.

But, the good news is I did not feel groggy or unpleasant at all. No noticeable side effects. I have never heard of anyone having bad reactions to this herb, so that's good news. We'll see how tonight goes.

From my experience, I wonder if this herb is a very mild psychedelic.