• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Amphetamine/Meth withdrawals...

^^^
Everyone, heed the words of this man.

For he speaks from the voice of both knowledge and wisdom. :)

I actually talked to my doctor over the phone about quitting... he actually prescribed me Wellbutrin (even though I already had some) for the withdrawal effects, and since it is not scheduled, it was easy to get and start taking right away...

I told him that I had been taking a little more Adderall than I was supposed to once in a while because i felt the prescribed dose wasn't working quite as well as it should. That was fine in his opinion, but he didn't want me to do that without telling him first...

he agreed with me that this is probably a good idea if I feel I am becoming dependant on amphetamines. He said I could stay on the Wellbutrin for a few month and then try to go off of that also. Maybe to try Strattera or something after the Wellbutrin...

So this is some pretty good information for anyone trying to quit using/abusing amphetamines. My doctor said that Wellbutrin takes away cravings, while also preventing depression that often comes with amphetamine withdrawal...

I was wondering if long term meth users actually develop ADHD

That's a fuckin' very good point. Long term meth users can have an extended period of anhedonia (inability to derive/feel pleasure from activities) that can last several months after stopping, as their dopaminergic systems have been fairly fried from long term meth use, and require a long time to repair themselves (with some very heavy, long term meth users, it's reckoned that they never get back to normal).

As ADHD is related to the release of dopamine in the reward centres, it is possible that they get 'fried' in a way that gives the user somethink akin to ADHD for an extended period of time after stopping meth use. Only difference is that it's temporary (except for the aforementioned long term heavy duty tweakers) and will reset in a year or so

^^^
That is a very logical conclusion, as the DATs have been demonstrated to retract and go into down regulation.

fastandbulbous said:
That's a fuckin' very good point. Long term meth users can have an extended period of anhedonia (inability to derive/feel pleasure from activities) that can last several months after stopping, as their dopaminergic systems have been fairly fried from long term meth use, and require a long time to repair themselves (with some very heavy, long term meth users, it's reckoned that they never get back to normal).

As ADHD is related to the release of dopamine in the reward centres, it is possible that they get 'fried' in a way that gives the user somethink akin to ADHD for an extended period of time after stopping meth use. Only difference is that it's temporary (except for the aforementioned long term heavy duty tweakers) and will reset in a year or so

As i mentioned quickly above. and seriously didn't want this to turn into a huge thread unrelated to the topic... cause kandy k mentioned it.

the impairment from these symptoms, chemical imbalnces caused, etc.
This is substance abuse.
This can be types of depression.
This is not "created" ADHD. Becaues it shares qualities with a diagnosis people would rather not accept.

ADHD, (which usually most accurate around at of 7 to be evaluated). Is part of you. Yes, there is the "way" the brain works. (don't forget, that there is more then one type of ADHD which are different characteristics).
Overall, it makes up the person's personality and lifestyle. It is not a direct impairment. You do not gain the many other qualities and advantages accociated with an ADD person. Becaues you fried something else.
That is important to note.

You are still you, but with negative characteristics caused by the deprivation/imblances caused over time from drug. Substance abuse.

I know its hard for those who only experience the symptoms caused by a similar reaction theory. to understand they didn't acquire a now highly marketed disorder....in which is made for you to see just that :)

PM me, if people really have specfic questions. but for god sakes, don't start a debate for symptoms and chemical changes documented for something. Its a lifestyle and more, not a by-product.

Last edited:
[I think you should read the OD guidelines]
-Pdx

Last edited by a moderator:
It's already down the toilet, so maybe if you go drink some sewer water you might get a nice buzz considering there were over 150 20mg pills in there...

Even if I still had it I wouldn't sell it to anybody because I dont beleive in breaking the law;)

I think you will find a lot of meth\speed abusers probably have ADHD, therefore coming off it its extremely hard. Especially when you are a manager. I had to quit my job when i quit meth, ccause the anxiety was too overwhelming. ADHD had really only been diagnosed in the past 5 years in younger kids. I used to take meth and go to bed cause it relaxed me. I tell me doctor and they just wanna feed you Anti Depresssants which i find add to my anxiety plus numb my emotions.

Anyway in short,,,, Fuk ya job dude,, Getting off the gear is more important so if ya need to quit then do so. Needing to take speed everyday is no way to live.

Some people need to, to have a somewhat normal life, not "take speed" but stimulant medication to stay awake, on task, non sluggish/unfocused , with the goal of having a properly functioning brain.

motox, while you certainely have a medical necessity to use the meth, you yourself stated in the beginning that you were taking 30mg in the beginning, and had to take 50mg to get the same feeling. You also stated that you occasionally used street meth. First off, methamphetamine is methamphetamine, whether its rx'd or street. street dope is not as good for you, naturally, but they both fuck you up. Anyhow, it seems that you are determined to stop using, but the fact that you keep denying that you ever used for pleasure seems like you are lying a bit, eh? The difference between addiction and dependance is just that, that use for pleasure, and craving. There are people who can use large doses of opiates for pain, and never get addicted. They are dependant, but since they use the drug for pain, tolerance builds much slower, and differently. You stop the dose when the symptoms disappear, not when you feel good. Anyway, my point is this... You have to be prepared for that craving that will surely be there. The physical w/d isn't anywhhere near as bad as the mindfuck these drugs give you. That mindfuck is addiction kicking your ass. I apologize if I seem like a bit of an ass, but I just think you need to undnerstand that you have built up a bit of an addiction, along with the dependancy, so you have to know how to treat it. Honestly you shouldn't have just thrown the medecine out, since if you were really just dependant, you could have tapered down the dose without just cold-turkeying it. Also, aside from whatever problems with the ADD that may arise, meth detox brings with it serious depression and anxiety. Maybe call your doctor, instead of waiting, and telli him how concerned you are, and really want to stop the meds. He can call in a script for any meds that may help. good luck!

Just get on Desoxyn... Methamp HCL.... that way you don't have to "live like this" anymore... you can just be SPRACKED all day... Cheery-0

Im new on here but I don't know how to post to ask questions I have found a melted ink pen and small bagies with burnt aluminum under my bathroom sink I think it's meth or ice it looks like small glass shards in the bag but they are really small because of it being empty is this a way you can smoke it sorry for askin but I don't know how to post in here