• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids The High: Methadone vs. Oxycontin

Status
Not open for further replies.

despitedetroit

Bluelighter
Can someone please compare and contrast the different aspects of the high each of these drugs provide?

10 mg methadone is like 25 mg oxy or something like that right?

so let's say the high to be described is off of 40-60 mg oxy, 20-30 mg M-done.

no comparison end of question

none
nada
zip methadone sucks compared to oxycodone

I'll just give my impressions of the drugs and you can draw what conclusions you will from there.

I really don't think that any amount of methadone is like any amount of oxy (or vice versa). Methadone and oxycontin feel pretty different IMO.

Methadone gives me no rush (actually I question whether or not oral opiates are capable of producing a rush...maybe at high doses), a little bit of euphoria, a decent bit of contentment, and a decent bit of sedation. Of course, all of that is dose dependant. The main thing that I really like about methadone is that it lasts for so long compared to oxy or h. If you take the right dose you're going strong for the entire day and a little into the night.

Oxy has more rush and euphoria than methadone, and is overall less sedating. The rush and euphoria are likely a product of both the drug itself and the fact that I typically IV oxy. I've insufflated it too and thought "hmm, like shooting but not as good." The downside, when compared to methadone, is that it doesn't last as long.

Overall I really don't think I prefer one over the other in all situations. But, when given the choice, I would choose oxy more often than not.

Oxy(oral)- kicks in within 40 minutes, and peaks within an hour-an hour and half after taking it. The high starts off with a small rush feeling at the begining, rather a minor butterfly feeling where you feel really motivated, energetic and mabye even hungry. After 4-5 minutes this goes away and the high turns into a very euphoric, very warm and cozy high. You are able to nodd and can still feel a little stimulated in the sense that you feel you can do anything you want, be it lying on the couch or doing other stuff like computer, etc. It gets you high for a good 2-3 hours, after which you can still feel mellow and happy (afterglow) for another 2-3 hours, though the major euphoric and nodding effects have gone away. Afterwards the effects will be pretty much completly gone.

Methadone (oral)- takes 4 hours to peak. Within the first hour you feel, a slight physical relief (esp if addicted) and feel like you would from mabye a little codeine. Within the second hour the high can be felt, very much resembling oxy esp snorted in that you feel the opiate high though you also feel very stimulated/outgoing energetic. You might get the desire to do something with your time. Within the 3rd hour the high decreases in the amount of stimulation and starts increasing gradually in sedation (like a hydrocodone buzz would be) although the motivation is still there, you rather feel like 'everything is ALRIGHT'. You might get the desire to lye down on the couch or relax somewhere and watch some tv. By the fourth hour you will be very high, and sedated, you will be nodding out and feeling euphoric though not like the euphoria you get from oxy. But rather a euphoria that's not as 'stimulating/rushy', but the kind of euphoria that's like 'oh my god, everything is alllright', you feel like you can do pretty much anything but you will probably choose to chill out and enjoy your high. You feel the major effects up to 6-8 hours after taking it, and feel residual effects for the rest of the day till you go to sleep. Rather than an after glow, it's more like 'residual effects', where you don't feel as happy as on oxy but you feel nice and comfortable, and better than normal.

To sum it up quite nicely, many people say methadone isn't euphoric, though that's not true. For many people it is. If what you are after is a very euphoric buzz where you may or may not nodd out as much, though you feel very euphoric and sociable, and mabye once in a while if you want or try you can nodd out and feel euphoric/stimulated as well, then your best bet is either one of the following: oxycontin (oral-a bit more sedating, snorted-a lot more stimulated/euphoric though still mellow), hydromorphone (snorted- a bit more of a stimulating feeling than oxycontin, takes higher doses in order to get that plus a warm nodd), fentanyl (oral- mixed in a 500mL water bottle and sipped is A WHOLE LOT more stimulating/cleaner feeling than oxy, and the euphoria beats even oxy's euphoria, though you nodd easier on oxy) and that's about all I can think of right now. All those drugs are for people who like the euphoric/outgoing sociable type of high that oxy gives.

Other people (myself included) aren't as much after the euphoric/sociable/outgoing rushy type effects that the previously mentioned drugs give. Rather they would much rather preffer something that gives you an 'everything's alllright euphoria' with the sedation and nodding which makes them feel 'secure' and 'protected' like underneath an opiate blanket kind of effect. The opiates which give this type of high are methadone (oral- very much a solid opioid high of nodding and of relaxation and the other kind of euphoria where you want to be alone, to yourself for the high and watch tv, and escape from everything into a warm nodd and feel really good about everything, and everything around you seems to be okay), hydrocodone (oral- you want to lye around on your couch, on your own to enjoy and to nodd, and get that 'everything's all right' euphoria of relief), codeine (oral- a lot like the methadone/hydrocodone high, sedating, euphoric in that you nodd out into heaven sort of feeling you get on the more sedating opiates like the ones i'm discussing now), demerol (snorted- gives a high that is pretty unique on it's own though it resembles the more sedating opiates rather than the oxy/fentanyl type of opiates which give a more euphoric/clean and not as sedating high, demerol makes you euphoric and more sedated than codeine or hydrocodone and also gave me minor visuals if i stared at a bright coloured object, very nice, and sedating). That's about all the opiates/opioids I have tried. I would much rather preffer a good sedating high, rather than a clean/sociable/outgoing kind of high. Both type of highs are good, and both give opiate users motivation though the oxy-like drugs give this effect much more so than the methadone-like drugs. Both are good, but some people like myself aren't as much into the 'rushy' kind of drugs and preffer something mellow and euphoric like the highs from weed/benzos. While others do preffer the rushy kind of drugs and will mostly preffer the highs of coke/meth/E over the highs of weed/benzos, than the oxy-like drugs are the most euphoric for them. But what people find euphoric can be relative, just like I mentioned. My idea of euphoria is to be sedated, warm, cozy feeling, nodding and have an euphoria about everything, hence the 'everything's allright' effect.

^ Wow, too long.
Personally, ive taken both. Oxycotin would resemble more of a high, an uncomfortable one at that. Methadone made me like lay there...not pleasurable at all.

I like that. I like to be chill and happy which is exactly what methadone does to me..and plus:D

Euphoria revisted...

"Many people say it [methadone] is not euphoric...It is..." First let me compliment you on a nice, mostly factual and well put together post. Now the bad news. Opiates/opioids have 4 attributes that must be in place in order to obtain a morphine level expeience. Methadone has 3 of them, the one that it is missing is the attribute that supplies the so called "euphoric" experience.

Euphoria is a highly contreversial term in that it is highly subjective. what I find appealing may put you to sleep, and the converse. As such, it is best not to get caught up in arguments over it except with methadone, it IS missing the crucial attribute .

that is not to suggest that it does not have any recreational potential. in fact, if you are ever lucky enough to come across those fabulous English ampoules of injectable methadone you will obtain a nice enough rush...just no real euphoria...sorry.

In comparing oxycontin and methadone you would first have to qualify the comparison. On what basis do you want to compare the two? If it is recreational potential, I think I have summed it up because it should go without saying that oxycontin has trmendous potential [as evidenced by the recent trend].

Methadone dosing for new/infrequent users

"Center" do you have anything good thing to say about recreational pharmaceuticals, i.e. drugs, at all? Are you a fucking troll trying to tell everyone that all drug sucks, are dangerous, are not worth using, etc...? Just what the fuck is your deal man? We fucking know that drugs may be dangerous so lay off a bit please.

Now I would like to write a bit about safe recreational use of methadone. It is definitely possible, but is a little trickier than with other drugs that have better safety records such as benzos, hydrocodone, morphine, even insulfated heroin.

People please be careful dosing methadone, I am an MMT patient and I take a shitload of it (200-mg/day) and am very tolerant of it, but 40-mgs can kill a person who has never used it before, even less in some cases especially if mixed with a benzo.

Methadone can be very enjoyable so do not assume it is garbage without having some experience. Granted some people will think it is garbage. There is a person for each drug who will attest no end to its uselessness if you ask enough people. Methadone seems to have its fair share of these people. I suspect that many of them have not used it properly and/or are repeating things they have been told.

This is the single most important thing I can write regarding experimenting with methadone, whether you have used it before or not. This applies unless you are a daily user with a tolerance like me in which case you have a large safety margin for dosing errors. One positive aspect of methadone is that regular users can take an insane amount and live, I have taken 1000-mg at once before and all I got was some heavy nodding. Back to my all-important message to the non-tolerant or semi-tolerant:

Respect methadone like the strong ass opioid that it is or it will drag the respect from your dead carcass the next morning. This will happen just about the time some horrified parent, significant other, friend, property owner or stranger discovers your gray, cold, stiff body.

Here are my recommendations for the recreational user, based on personal experience and feedback from others who have had recreational experiences and enjoyed them, often immensely so. Since methadone takes several hours to reach full effect, dose once and then leave the stuff alone, if you don't get off to your satisfaction wait a day - or more preferably - and try with a slightly higher dose. I prefer this to “re-dosing” for safety reasons. I believe the “re-dose” has caused the lethal blood levels in many victims of methadone ODs when methadone was the sole intoxicant. Always have someone with you and plan to be awake at for the 12 - 16 hours after you dose so you or your pals will know if you get into trouble. In addition, by sleeping after five or so hours of taking methadone you may well miss a good amount of the fun. It is rather like LSD in the length of its effects, many times even longer. It may fade and come back, especially if you do a few lines of coke after the effects seem to have worn off but it has not been more than eight hours since dosing. I have experienced this several times with both methadone and heroin (separate occasions per substance.) Unless you have tolerance to benzodiazepines (I mean a serious tolerance e.g. you take 4-mg alprazolam daily and have for a long while) I would not mix them with methadone. If you do take less of the benzo than you normally would and definitely have someone watching you for the entire night. Benzos and methadone can be a very fun combo, but it is also a very lethal one. Most ODs with methadone also involved a benzo, if not then alcohol was generally present. Please, please, please consider getting used to dosing methadone and benzos separately and then work on the combo starting at ½ doses of each when you first mix them

Following the above advice, you will likely live to have many pleasing methadone experiences! OR maybe you’ll decide I am full of shit and develop your own strategies. In any case, my approach is aimed at helping you enjoy the drug without overdosing. Please, respect this drug, just because you can drink more than anyone in your high school class/fraternity/rugby club does not mean you can definitely take 50-mg of methadone on your first try and live to brag about it

Now I am going to be a self-righteous bastard:

“center" what I have written above about methadone was for harm reduction, not abstinence rhetoric which isn't what anyone comes here for anyway. Try the harm-reduction approach and if you do not have anything to add H.R. wise then maybe this is not the board for you to post on.

thanks man..full of good info.

i took 20 mg yesterday around 10 am, then another 10 mg at 3 pm...i haven't dosed since then...and am not planning on it. it is currently 2:32 pm.
i mildly feel the effects, mostly just feel in a general good mood.

when will the methadone more or less stop taking effect? when has it left my body?

center said:
^ Wow, too long.
Personally, ive taken both. Oxycotin would resemble more of a high, an uncomfortable one at that. Methadone made me like lay there...not pleasurable at all.

You should just stay away from all opiate related threads. By now everyone on BL knows who you are and that you hate opaites. Your explanation of highs of the 2 said drugs are definetly not typical reactions.

Re: Methadone dosing for new/infrequent users

speedball_racer said:
Respect methadone like the strong ass opioid that it is or it will drag the respect from your dead carcass the next morning. This will happen just about the time some horrified parent, significant other, friend, property owner or stranger discovers your gray, cold, stiff body.

Word. I give that post two thumbs up.

personally I like methadone better because the high lasts a lot longer than an oxy high. opioid highs are "generally" ALMOST the same, no, not exactly the same, but in a general sense those two pretty much give you a similar feeling. methadone is usually cheaper too. methadone has a higher bioavailability too so you can actually just swallow the damn thing. it's good for me because since oxys are so hyped and usually overpriced where I am and methadone there is so much bullshit and myths associated to it that it is dirt cheap in comparison because people don't fully understand what it really is. since it lasts longer I don't have to keep redosing. methadone will get you high like nearly every other opioid, there are exceptions of course. there are some ways to make methadone kick in faster but if you are in such a hurry to geth high just fucking slam dope. I love oxys but they cost too much [here], not as effective orally as methadone, and doesn't last any where near as long as methadone. anyways that's just my 2 cents. both are good but in my personal opinion I'd take 60-100mg methadone over say an oc 40 or 80 any day. oh well keep saying methadone sucks it keeps the prices low lol

I prefer the methadone high cause it lasts so long, I also think that they feel simular, but methadone feels more like heroin. Methadone is also good if you have a really high tolerence. As for it not being euphoric, its totally relative, some people like Darvon more then heroin, some like cocaine more than meth. Apples and oranges, I do know that methadone sells for $16-20 a 40 mg biscuit, and a 40 mg OC costs $10 at the same place.

i prefer oral meth over oral oxy. Other routes of admin (IV) are a different story tho

side question: to they make liquid amps of methadone?? im not talking about that cherry syrup stuff.

[EDITED- Nope! I have had it with you. F&B and I have already spoken with you regarding this and I have no more patience for this behavior. I am going to edit every one of your posts that are off topic]
-Pdx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say methadone is more of my thing, but I am very fond of drugs with long half-lifes. I've been known to even like bupe because of that.

Oxy is a great high, but I get so much more out of methadone. It lasts forever, and is cozy and warm like an opiate should be.

in the uk methadone is only recognized as a drug that is used in the treatment of heroin addiction. in other words it NEVER gets emplyed as an analgesic. Then I remember about dipipanaone. I should see my doctor about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.