• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opiates - how long to wait after w/d?

^^^^^
that sounds like good timing

I have gone through multiple mild w/ds (never used for a month straight) and often I think I feel normal, that is a day or so after feeling like crap and using just makes me go back to feeling weak and crappy again the next day. you really feel stupid doing something like that because you can't wait.

I think rach18 meant 3 days AFTER withdrawl symptoms cease. Withdrawl, as we all know, is variable for everyone. Withdrawls, for a fair habit 60-100mg hydro a day for 2++months straight, will cause lasting withdrawls (weeks/months?) for most. Not all. Some poeple recover quickly, some can't. Physical vs. Psychological addiction comes into play here. There is no "set" time. But, on a purely physical level, a week after the last of your physical sysmptoms disappear you can use again (moderately) without significant physical repurcussions. But, that's not saying much... considering the complexity of psychological addiction.

I just passed my day 6 and fucked up "not bad" but still did. I took and 10mg opiate and will that kick start my w/d's? I stopped feeling my physical w/d's after day 4, but my knee was in a horrible pain today and I just cave in. Not my usually dose 60mg rox, but just 10, hopefully I be safe and won't kick back in.. Help with some answers, please.

I just passed my day 6 and fucked up "not bad" but still did. I took and 10mg opiate and will that kick start my w/d's? I stopped feeling my physical w/d's after day 4, but my knee was in a horrible pain today and I just cave in. Not my usually dose 60mg rox, but just 10, hopefully I be safe and won't kick back in.. Help with some answers, please.

I would think that this depends on each individual...not sure...hope this helps...
I went from taking 80mg 2x and 15mg 4x, down to 15mg 3 to 4 times a day...this has just been over the last 8 days...and My terrible withdrawals have subsided...I have come completely off of oxy for 8 days...and taken a 15...I did not experience any physical withdrawals at that time...but the "head thing" became much worse...like I said..Im sure it depends on the individual...but you probably wont have anything physical from this...only psycological...I myself am not very strong when it comes to abstaining...if it is your intention to stop using oxy...or any other opiate...just pick yourself up...brush off ur butt...and start over!! we as addicts will fall...we must remember that we can...and will get back up. :)

As I still patiently wait for an accurate description that preferably involves much harder opiates than most are used to. My cat had a really big thing with catnip that really didn't matter who you were, you didn't do much. I've had other cats die on merely two bags of catnip, and I am not exaggerating by cat(s), when compared to seven or eight of other brands of catnip. After two years of a solid ten bags of catnip a day (my cat had a steady flow) and never doing more than two, three if my cat was feeling outgoing and really wanted to put itself down for hours. My cat had other cats that came around with low tolerances and would beg to go to the vets after doing merely two at one time. My cat eventually had to be locked up at the vets for two weeks merely to overcome the WD's because it would stop breathing by day two. 2.5-3 weeks later my cat slipped up and found itself in more trouble doing merely a two bags of off brand catnip in a day and went back into severe WDS puking and overall not doing too good for the next three days. It was not as bad as it was the initial detox, but it still became a whole new definition of a pu**y for sure. Now not many cats are like my cat, let alone even lived through so much considering older cats than my cat have been found lifeless from this catnip. But is it possible anyone out there can relate? My cat still cant use even once recreationally, so much as a couple vics, even after trying to jump back in three weeks of sobriety. Its almost like there is no more recreation of this type for my cat for the rest of its 4 lives. But know other cats that have stopped for less time and can dip back in and be fine even using more than my cat. (not the same stuff anymore)

Edit: its now been six months of on and off severely mild use with several weeks between each detox and next use (compared to what my cats used to) and there still seems to be no play without consequence.

-and this thread shall live again. At least until the web can provide me an answer. My cat doesn't like the fact that he has taken a whole new meaning to ~equal and opposite reaction.

As I still patiently wait for an accurate description that preferably involves much harder opiates than most are used to. My cat had a really big thing with catnip that really didn't matter who you were, you didn't do much. I've had other cats die on merely two bags of catnip, and I am not exaggerating by cat(s), when compared to seven or eight of other brands of catnip. After two years of a solid ten bags of catnip a day (my cat had a steady flow) and never doing more than two, three if my cat was feeling outgoing and really wanted to put itself down for hours. My cat had other cats that came around with low tolerances and would beg to go to the vets after doing merely two at one time. My cat eventually had to be locked up at the vets for two weeks merely to overcome the WD's because it would stop breathing by day two. 2.5-3 weeks later my cat slipped up and found itself in more trouble doing merely a two bags of off brand catnip in a day and went back into severe WDS puking and overall not doing too good for the next three days. It was not as bad as it was the initial detox, but it still became a whole new definition of a pu**y for sure. Now not many cats are like my cat, let alone even lived through so much considering older cats than my cat have been found lifeless from this catnip. But is it possible anyone out there can relate? My cat still cant use even once recreationally, so much as a couple vics, even after trying to jump back in three weeks of sobriety. Its almost like there is no more recreation of this type for my cat for the rest of its 4 lives. But know other cats that have stopped for less time and can dip back in and be fine even using more than my cat. (not the same stuff anymore)

Edit: its now been six months of on and off severely mild use with several weeks between each detox and next use (compared to what my cats used to) and there still seems to be no play without consequence.

-and this thread shall live again. At least until the web can provide me an answer. My cat doesn't like the fact that he has taken a whole new meaning to ~equal and opposite reaction.

:):):):)

Opiates - how long go wait after w/d?

I have been on Percocet (Oxycodone 5mg with 325mg of acetaminophen since August of 2005, by August of 2009, I had increased my daily dose from 1/2 tablet per day to one full tablet per day, and from taking a two day break per week, without any, to taking them every day. I switched to another synthetic opiate, technically,
known as Pentazocine Hydrochloride, again, for 3 more years, this time taking this drug, in 50mg doses, at first once a day, by year two twice a day, 7 days a week.
It is known in Europe and Asia, as Sosegon, in Italy Canada, and the USA as Talwin. I lost my supplier, in July of 2012, and returned, again to Oxycodone tablets. This
time, after 18 months on this drug, I have increased the dose to about 1.5 tablets per day. Here is my problem, I have lost my supplier again. It is very permanent.
I am saying I have obtained 100% of my pain meds from street sources or European IOP's. I am cutting down as I was on my very last 50 tablets, January 1st, and now, am down to just 27 tablets. I cut them with a pill cutter, in 1/4 pieces. I notice considerable mood swings, hot and cold flashes, mild body aches, and just a dope sick feeling, and no energy or no motivation to do anything, when I abstain. The longest I have gone without opiates in the past 7.5 years has been maybe 7 or 8 days.
I have always gone back to them, because, well, I had easy access, that is no longer true. I know I am addicted, because I feel just "normal" now with only 1/2 tablet, and the mood swings are directly related to these pain meds. To add fuel to the fire, I began a experiement summer of 2013, with 40 mg of Oxy Contin, the old formula, grinding the pill down to a powder, and snorting the powder one line at a time, with a straw. increasing the euphoria, as OxyContin has no APAP in the pill. I
see this as a turning point in my psychological craving, because, the last two years of three years use of Pentazocine, I did the same thing, resorted to snorting the ground up pills.
I just finished reading a book printed in 2010, PAIN PILL ADDICTION by Jane Burson M.D. As most of us know, the physical withdrawal is usually over in 5 to 7 days.
depending on how much, and/or how long one has been doing opiates. This book reminded me of the concept of Post Acute Withdrawal Symptoms, stating, 90% + of
patients relapse within the first 30 days, without inpatient treatment. I understand this concept, because I went thru this 30 years ago, from poly substance abuse
treatment, staying inpatient 42 days, withdrawing off of alcohol, diazepam (Valium) and methaqualone. Back in 1982, it took me at least 6 months for the PAWS to begin to fade away. Back in 1995, after a 18month slip on alprazolam, (Xanax, Xanor, or Tafil) I had a steady habit of 3 x 2mg bars a day, and, I went to outpatient
counseling, and, again, the PAWS did not go away, for about 6 months, like the Valium cravings. The alprazolam was worse, as it took me 6 weeks to taper down from 6mg a day to zero use.

This book ISBN 98-160844-698-8 has a foreword, by a medical doctor I know, who lives in my city, thus, this book really caught my attention, and my fear.
quote: a week to 10 days at a detox clinic is not enough time for detox, now called "withdrawal management", but that not long enough to teach patients the skills
to be drug free. Relapse rates with impatient detox treatment alone, are as high as 96% in the first year. Most relapses occur within the first month". unquote page
20. Physicians who are addicted to pain meds, have the best relapse rates, as most have to spend from 90 days inpatient to 6 months inpatient, in order to get their medical license back, and they have a 90% recovery rate, not because they are more intelligent, that the normal population, but they have more time, in patient to
recover from the Post Acute Withdrawal Systems, in a safe environment. Unfortunately, the place I am aware in my area of the USA charges $90.000.00 for 6 months of in patient therapy, I cannot afford that.

I was sober in AA for 28 years, until the year 2010, and have attended over 2,500 meeting, and had over 300 sessions one on one of individual psychotherapy. Thus, I fell burned out of 12 step meetings, but they work, it is very, very difficult to start over, for males and females who have slips, after obtaining 10 + years of
sobriety from alcohol and all mood altering substances. The few I have seen return, the majority do not stay very long, and they are always in late middle age.

I have tried Subutex, Temgesic, and Methadone, just to test it out, from my extensive sources on the street. I don't like any of those meds, and, I am not willing
to switch my addictions to those meds, at this point. Perhaps my ego in my greatest enemy, as I have read over 100 books in self help and psychology to get self
actualized, and, have a 2nd degree in Substance Abuse counceling, that I never used, professionally, I do know of 1/2 dozen once brilliant poly substance abuse
counselors, who are burned out, and divorced, and have left the entire area where I live. They usually last on average about 10 years, prior to burnout. The 42 day treatment facility I attended 32 years ago, has closed down, and 3 more I checked in the USA charge $40,000.00 a month, or $60,000.00 for 6 weeks. My insurance will not pay for that, and the median age of patients is around age 34, and I am 64, not a good fit, IMHO. That is all I have to say. One day at a time. My conclusion from reading this book and my experience from my youth with
multiple former addictiions, is this, It will take from 6 months to one full year to feel normal again, if the transmittors in my brain are not permanently altered. That is the way I interpreted this data loaded book I am referring to. Addiction to hard narcotics, like Oxy Contin, Hydromorphone, or, long term use (5 years +) of continuous use of a narcotic substance, that is
normally intended for use for 5 days to maybe 3 months maximum. (Dilaudid, Morphine, Opana, Fentanyl (Duragesic) oir even Hydrocodone, mostly a USA highly abused drug, better known as Vicodin..

Last edited:
Thank you. I can magnify those facts by X and get my numbers now. My cat used to take his mothers perc 5's to sustain itself when it was dry of his kitty nip. Only problem was it required 20-30 of them in one paw just to be able to get out of his kitty bed. My cat's liver sure did not agree with over 12k MG's a day of TY, considering 12k is toxic and 15k is lethal for a human sized cat, and that was just so my cat could nap a couple hours at night without overdoing it. My cat had a serious problem, but that happens when he had more flow of catnip than he could possibly handle without spending his entire day unconscious. My cat thanks you for giving him something for comparison. I have heard of other cats talking about how it can take up to a year or so for kitty receptors to possibly reach their current full potential after the damage that was done. But this cat was a bumb and didn't do nearly a fraction of catnip as my cat used to consume so he was not a valid control to his hypothesis'. In the end my cat has improved very greatly, but he is mainly wondering because of a possible future dance with the devil, as it is his favorite extracurricular, and that when my cat rolls (on the floor?) it doesn't feel as good as it used to. Not nearly as good. So my cat was kind of worried that he will his brain bucket of fun will never be a fraction of what it was. Time will tell I guess. Bad kitty.

I'm right where you are x I'm 58.now going to a legal pain MD .i had 9 yrs actual sobriety : now I addic' d to Opana. Peace b c you. Lutopia

It takes me ten days to kick ct and not be sick.

If I use a again I can't stop without getting sick.

It really depends on the amount of your usage and how long you used and what you used.

I feel for everyone on this site. I've been taking oxycodone for one year at night only and haven't upped the dose. Still 5mg. Sometimes I'll parachute or grind and snort but usually just taken orally by mouth. The days are becoming harder and harder. I want to take my dose at 3pm rather than 6pm. I do sweat alot in the early morning. Usually wake up with soaked sheets. Is this my body withdrawing from the drug?

Here here!

rachimim, ur telling me all withdrawals are over with for u after 3 days? 3 days is bad advice as that may put them back into withdrawal i think. u gotta be shittin me. day2 and 3 are the hardest. day 5 is when things just start to get better. it makes me think what type of habit u have and how long u have been using. maybe u just have a fast metabolism?? guess everyone is different.

You said it. Three days is bad advice. I'm in day 5 after a few years of a good 200mg/day habit and I feel like I still have several days left. Finally caved and went and got some clonipine (I think that's what it is... the blood pressure medication) yesterday (day 4) because night 3 was a damn nightmare on my street. If you've been using for more than a few months daily my advice would be to wait at least a full week. But I suppose if you're like Mr. Superman from previous post and you have zero symptoms of withdrawal after 3 days, then give it a try and don't say we didn't warn you. My addiction started with real pain and just got ridiculous and I've decided come hell or high water I'm going through this. Can't say the clonidine (or whatever) is the magic med some have claimed, took 3x as much as I was comfortable with and a bunch of melatonin and 2x the usual Xanax just to get 6 hours of semi-restful sleep, but now I digress because the night before was way worse. All in all I still feel shitty, still need the immodium, and still have a feeling I'm in for another night of taking way too many sleep aids for comfort. I'm waiting a few months because I already know from friends that if I try to take it too soon, it will take the same amount as when I was using 80mg just to get a buzz, Or, worse yet, I become one of the poor bastards who takes what he used to take and overdoses. So I'm waiting a few months and if 20 MG won't get me a buzz, I'll go another few months. I know I can do it recreationally but it will take time, my friend. Chances are if you are wondering what you asked, you're still in WD and your mind is just coming up with reasons to do/justify it. Mine is. Be the strong person you know you were when you were younger, the one who was going to take the world by the balls and own it and spit out the scraps for the chumps to fight over, because you still can. But not with a dope habit.