• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opiates - how long to wait after w/d?

Jamshyd

Bluelight Crew
I really didn't know how to search for this. Writing "opiate withdrawal" into the search engine brings up throngs of threads. If this has been asked before, then I apologize.

Say someone takes breaks regularly from using opiates but for one reason or another ended up taking them continuously for a month or so. Said person stops after realizing how long it has been, and goes trough withdrawal.

Now, we know that taking a recreational dose on, say, day 2 of withdrawal will simply prolong the withdrawal.

My question is, how much would one have to wait after withdrawal to be able to take opiates recreationally without triggering withdrawals again? I assume this is largely a matter of personal body chemistry, but I wonder if there is an avarage ammount of time?

As you mentioned, chemistry comes into play here. Id say after about day 8 (by a stretch) you can take an opiate again without going through the withdrawals...then again, im not a veteran opiate user, but once the withdrawals are over, it seems logical to think you wouldn't prolong something that isnt there anymore, correct?

That makes sense, though the problem is that for some people, withdrawals are very sluggish to leave, and its kinda hard to tell when exactly is the withdrawal over.

also please, be mindful of the fact that you're very vulnerable to addiction once the opiate withdrawal wears away...

if i was an opiate user and i got past the withdrawals, id never touch them for the rest of my life. but that is just me.

WRong...

The correct answer is: "When all w/d effects have ceased." Pretty simple...Once they have stopped, you are ready for combat. the exact amount of time is variable. for me it is 3 days. for some it can be a week.

well, if you read the comment above mine, the poster even claimed that its hard to tell exactly when withdrawals left.

hehe are you on a posting spree or something? you post more in an hour than i post in a year

I try to post my mind, they aren't posts like "yea i agree" or what not, they are actual posts if you read them. Im just a bored little spunout soldier today, contemplating whether to goto some party tonight, thinking about a few things...overall im rather depressive today I believe

i'd reccomend waiting at least 7 days. but for everyone else it can be differnt. i'd be more worried about pickin up the addiction again, than prolonging withdrawl

jamshyd, what kind of withdrawals do u experience after a month of solid use? anxiety, hot/cold flashes, bone aches, is that the extent of what u encounter? are they tolerable for you? just curious.

id say after 4-5days ud be safe to use. but be CAREFUL, bc it only takes like another 3days of use and its already like i started right where i left off.

rachimim, ur telling me all withdrawals are over with for u after 3 days? 3 days is bad advice as that may put them back into withdrawal i think. u gotta be shittin me. day2 and 3 are the hardest. day 5 is when things just start to get better. it makes me think what type of habit u have and how long u have been using. maybe u just have a fast metabolism?? guess everyone is different.

Plus, you have to consider when you get over the physical WD, vs. when you get over the mental WD. After 3-5 days, my physical is pretty much over, but the mental/PAWS lasts for weeks (in my case anyway). If you're just worried about triggering physical withdrawals, I'd say day 3 or 4. Probably a week just to be safe.

thoughout the years i have heard a few peope say they get dopesick and withdrawl for 3-4 days and then they feel normal...i have to call major bullshit on that as well...it may be true but the are likely inflating their habits i have to believe...

Center: Thanks for the friendly advise, I appreciate it. However, although I am 100% psychologically addicted to opiates, I normally take enough breaks to avoid physical dependence, and have been successful up until the last month, due to many reasons.

Adradmin: I feel very blessed that my withdrawals were not too GI involved. What I felt was mainly anxiety, lack of motivation and energy, very painful sensation all over the body (flu-like, but stronger). I've been medicating with Loperamide, Advil, and Clonazepam and they work GREAT for reducing most of the symptoms. I am currently at day 6 of withdrawal, and although I feel much better, I am still feeling the withdrawal.

As a note, I STRONGLY think that taking benzos with opiates (not necesarily at the same time, but using both in a short period) will contribute to physical addiction to both, since the benzos make me forget how long/often I've been taking the opiates for! Anyone else agree?

it depends on how long you've been using consistantly. 1 or 2 weeks is long enough for most people though.

I'd wait until you feel fine without any of the med-combo you are taking, and make your next binge shorter. Also don't binge again right away.

And I know what you mean with the benzos. I am addicted, but i am only taking 15-20mg diazepam now because I tapered and tried to quit and it was horrible, so I am carefull as fuck to not get back up to my 50+mg habit. But when I buy opiates I use more valium, or buy other benzos. They make you forget completely that you are getting into the danger zone with the opiates. I get this effect mostly from klonopin...

I have been taking xanax and mogadon for 3 days, wonderfull effect together, and suddenly I go out of my way to get heroin..

I never binge longer than a week anymore, and thats if I get very good opiates very cheaply. Like when I got 40mg OC's for 10$, in norway, I went on for 6 days, and then took codiene for three days to come down gently. I took anywhere from 40mg to 80mg oxy a day plus codeine while waiting for the OC dealer;), then took 6 30mg codiene the first day off, then 4 the next, then 2 and I got off without even feeling any change.

If I use for enough consecutive days to build up a physical dependence.. it takes me approximately 72 hours since my last dose that I feel normal. That said, I can indulge at the 96 hour mark and not get any noticeable physical symptoms.

Take into consideration that I've been using/abusing opiates for about 5 years and have gone through withdrawal more than 3 dozen times... I've successfully kicked cold about 5 times. Opiate withdrawal is pretty much familiar to me and I think of it as something that comes with the territory. Whether or not you can tolerate withdrawal depends on your experience with it. I can function in a way that appears normal while going though mild withdrawal. At this point, I'm having difficulty sleeping which causes me to be irritable. But just because you feel like shit, doesn't mean you can't control your behavior.

I think I lost the plot?

Practise makes perfect.

Take into

Fair enough.

Yesterday (day 6) I took just enough oxy for a mild high. It totally satisfied the mental aspect. Today I am not experiencing any recurrance of withdrawal, so it is good.

Thanks for the input everyone :).