• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

I started using Proactive, not the original formula but Proactive+ which is more for adult acne.
I never tried the original stuff because I figured going to the dermatologist and getting prescriptions was cheaper. It worked on and off. But this is the best thing I've tried. It's a little pricey but you can pay in installments and each order lasts about 3 months.
It feels like a lot of tedious steps at first because you're layering products but once it gets to be routine it's easy.
It's the best my skin has looked since puberty.

I've off and on dealt with random spouts of acne that is more due to drug use and rapid fluctuations into how I take in calories, but in the last year I've successfully gotten my skin completely clean with just two products.

- Tazorac 0.1% gel solution 1x/day for the first 6 weeks then I moved to 3x/week now down to 1x/week.

It's a prescription retinoid and a synthetic one at that, but the effects were almost immediate within 48 hours of use. My face was literally peeling off every morning for the first few weeks while I went through the purging stage.

-CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser

Just works. For the longest time I was a strong believer of utilizing the heavier AHA/BHA compounds like glycolic acid and salicylic acid. Now I don't use any of those products and the closest I get to for acids is hyaluronic acid. I've even noticed my smile lines aren't so intense after getting away from the heavier acids I've used for the past decade.

Find a moisturizer that works for you as Tazorac is extremely drying and there is no way you can't get away without one. Also, stay away from the sun and use sunscreen. I've begun using sunscreen now whenever I go outside and I've noticed my skin's overall pigmentation has blended together better. (been using sunscreen for the last 6-8 months)

Just another note.. I used to heavily rely on supplementation to also combat my acne and I no longer use anything like that. I just get what I can from correct eating habits.

It?s based on SO many things. Your diet. Your hormones. Stress. Seasonal changes. Staying hydrated. Using the best products for your skin.

And obviously any medications you?re on. Your skin is your biggest organ. It absorbs everything! And what you put into your body comes out in multiple ways.

Best place to start is by recognizing any sort of changes that trigger any breakouts. And then of course by cleaning your body from the inside out!!

My brother had bad cystic acne when he was a teenager. He also was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder with depression episodes as a young teen.

His bipolar disorder developed first (severe acne cropped up at 15 years). This post isn’t implying there is any connection whatsoever between acne and bipolar, lol. (Have to “lol” as I have bipolar disorder, too. My apologies if I am sounding insensitive.)

Accutane completely wiped out the acne...it was amazing. He had very dry lips the first two months, but that was all. Of course, he was closely monitored for mental changes but he was fine.

(His dermatologist was informed of bipolar disorder and his psychiatrist was informed that he was starting Accutane treatment and he kept regular appointments with both physicians.)

Accutane really was incredible in increasing the quality of his life, self-esteem, no more unsightly and extremely painful acne cysts. He has no scarring, either. His acne never came back.

I just had/have occasional normal acne caused by PMS. I use PersaGel, a topical OTC ointment. It’s sort of irritating I get an occasional spot here and there and he gets NONE, lol.

Severe cystic acne is on a whole other level of severity....I feel for those of you that are afflicted with it. Best to you. xo

Last edited:
I had acne when I was 16 until my twenties and then it went away for several years. I'm now in my 30's and it started to resurface although not as severe as it was before. I hope that it is considered 'mild' acne. I did notice that it started to come back around the time I started to reintroduce meat and non-organic food to my diet, so there may be some sort o connection but for the moment I'm not willing to eat a completely vegan or vegetarian diet again.

I'm currently washing my face twice daily with a combined bodywash/shampoo product, I don't want to use the typical OTC products right now. I've also started Doxycycline (antibiotic) twice daily. Hoping for the best :)