• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

MynameisnotDeja said:
For some reason antibiotics also cause breakouts in me. :(
Doctors always told me that when using antibiotics to treat acne it will always get worse before it gets better.

But seriously, don't hestitate to go Accutane if you have severe acne. Take it from me, acne scars and marks SUCK, and you don't want your acne to permanently damage your face. One of the better things about Accutane is that after the 5-6 month treatment collagen production in the face restarts and therefore it is very beneficial for potential scarring. My face looks great now thanks to Accutane alone, it was the only thing that worked. Never fucked with my liver, and my monthly blood tests always came out fine.

And the claims of depression and suicide have been evaluated by the FDA, etc, and have not yet been proven to be related to the drug itself (tests are accutane vs. placebo). Also, my dermatologist told me recently that in a few months Accutane prescriptions are going to be VERY hard to get, so jump on while you still can.

fronkybay said:
When I was about 17 I had very severe cystic acne, it was pretty disgusting. After seeing a doctor and dermatologist I was put onto roaccutane immediately. Got dry lips and dry skin, but no real psychological harm (the acne was causing more than the drug). After a few months the acne cleared up permanently, but I was left with some pretty bad scarring on my back - cosmetic surgery helped a little there but they are still very visible. Not a lot you can do there. Anyway, roaccutane should really be used as a last resort, or only in cases where the acne is REALLY bad as mine was. I continue to get the odd pimple on my face but I can deal with that after what I went through, and at least they don't scar!

Topical tretinoin (Retin-A) treatment should get rid of the scars completely in a few months. I had a pretty terrible scar on my knee from surgery after a football injury (and I mean, this scar was a fucking beast...it was pretty damn bad), and after ~5 months using topical tretinoin daily, it was completely gone.

Topical tretinoin also works wonders for stretch marks and acne.

omg ppl with acne u have to try this it worked so well for me.

Buy some good natural unprocessed honey, the darker it is the more enzymes and nutirents it has.

Take some honey and spread it over your face like a mask. It creates a good environment for acne to heal in. trust me has helped my complexion improves evrytime i use it.

cg_skill said:
I don't feel like putting honey on my face...

Well, then dont. All suggestions welcome.

My acne just started getting better, and I know its because my hormones are balancing out. I took some birth control pills a week or so ago and my face just exploded. It sucks, I take great care of my skin, it really is a completely hormonal issue for me. Does accutane do something to balance the hormones?

I highly recommend a product called 'Lalisse' skin serum or something like that, i havent used it since high school but it worked wonders for my acne. There are two types type 1 and type 2, with type one being for regular pimples and type 2 being for cystic acne. It may osund difficult to believe but this shit can clear even cystic acne within days. I think it's about $30 Australian and you can get it from most chemists. It is also available online, if you do a search i'm sure you'll find it. Also, to get rid of acne scars/uneven skin tone as a result of acne, Bio-Oil is v. v. good. Use it every night for a month and your skin will look great and be soft as a baby!

Also, i have heard that female hormones actually help to control acne and it is the male hormones are the ones that aggravate it. Theoretically then birth control pills should actually assist with acne recovery not worsen the situation. I am male therefore have no experience, but am i the only one who is under this impression?

(Ro)Accutane(Isotretinoin) is like an extremely potent form of Vitamin A. Is stops excess sebum production in the skin therefore making it v. hard for acne to form(this also accounts for the drying of face and lips etc). I also have used this with great success. While other treatments such as antibiotics etc may be used with some success (because there are theories that bacteria on the skin's surface may also contribute to acne), no matter what the 'trigger', whether it be diet, hormones, bacteria, whatever, Accutane stops acne at the root of the problem. NO EXCESS OIL MEANS NO OIL TO CLOG PORES. Personally I believe the hype associated with Accutane being dangerous is overemphasised in the media. Adolescents with self-esteem issues(acne related or otherwise) are already prime candidates for depression/suicide. It may be that many of the people who suffer from 'Accutane induced depression' were either well on their way to becoming depressed before they started taking Accutane or were at least more susceptible because of other mitigating factors.

In Australia, with a health care card it is only $3.60(we may have one of the highest income tax rates in the world, but we do get perks) a month and even without one it is a Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme drug and therefore wouldn't be more than $28.60 a month.

Its not true. The birth control pills absolutely made my face explode. In fact I never had bad acne until I was on them..it started almost immediately after I began taking them and has never gone fully away. Its like they got my system out of whack and its never going to return to normal. :(

Does anybody know how long you can use prescription acne products? Because I've been using tazorac gel, benzoyl peroxide wash and one other that I forgot the name of for at least six years now and I just thought about that while reading this post.

Anyway those products I mentioned above work for me, but they are really expensive and you have to sort of play around with different combinations of meds to find what works for you. But prescription creams, gels, washes, etc. seem safer than taking pills and should work if your acne is not too severe.

MynameisnotDeja said:
Well, then dont. All suggestions welcome.

My acne just started getting better, and I know its because my hormones are balancing out. I took some birth control pills a week or so ago and my face just exploded. It sucks, I take great care of my skin, it really is a completely hormonal issue for me. Does accutane do something to balance the hormones?

No, accutane doesn't affect hormone levels. When you take birth control pills, you are putting exogenous hormones in your body, so your hormone levels are going to fluctuate no matter what you do, because that's the point of taking birth control pills...

Anyways, I just want to say to everyone, that with all of the other options available, there's no need to use accutane, which is the most dangerous crap that I could imagine putting into your body. It's meant for people with very bad cystic acne--and that's what I believe it should be used to treat. Hell, I would even reccomend the topical accutane cream, but I would never reccomend oral accutane.

MynameisnotDeja said:
The birth control pills absolutely made my face explode. In fact I never had bad acne until I was on them..

Me too. I know my break-outs have everything to do with my hormonal cycles. The older I get the more prone to breakouts. I rarely had acne in high school. My parents still get the occasional zit so I have that to look forward to in middle age. Lovely.

EternalAutumn said:
Does anybody know how long you can use prescription acne products? Because I've been using tazorac gel, benzoyl peroxide wash and one other that I forgot the name of for at least six years now and I just thought about that while reading this post.

Anyway those products I mentioned above work for me, but they are really expensive and you have to sort of play around with different combinations of meds to find what works for you. But prescription creams, gels, washes, etc. seem safer than taking pills and should work if your acne is not too severe.

I dont see why there should be any limit on how long you can use them..unless its hurting your wallet too bad! Which is why I cant use them. If I could afford it Id be on Retin-A micro. :\ And PI, you sound JUST like me..it SUCKS! !!!

Some pills will make acne worse and some will make it better, it depends on the woman and the pill. It's all down to the type of progestin in the pill, which of course varies. Some progestins have more 'androgenic' effects, which includes acne. OrthoTriCyclen and the Ortho Evra patch did wonderful things for my skin but others did nothing. I couldn't tolerate the other side effects (mood swings/migraines) on those progestins, though.

I never had acne when I was in high school; it all developed within the past 3 years. It truly sucks. I'm convinced it's hormonal because I've had a lot of hormonal changes in that time. I used to be able to take birth control pills and now I can't without daily migraines. I also gain weight much more easily. :X

Regarding amphetamines, including MDMA, these CAN increase acne. I didn't have that problem with amphetamine and only mildly with meth, but amphetamine (dex/adderall) always makes me break out the next day. So definitely avoid amps if you are worried about acne. I also wouldn't be surprised if coke adversely affected acne too but I don't know for sure.

I've just started taking Omega 3-6-9 (Swiss Omega Plus) and it make me break out... :\

I've read it can improve skin look, well it doesnt at ALL for me !

Am I doing something wrong?

Are you sure its the pills that are making you break out? Any other changes recently? (diet, stress, etc)

I was on accutane when I was 16/17. Tried a slew of other topical and pill antibiotics, as well as OTC things, Proactiv, etc. Nothing helped. Finally, they hand you the packet showing you the potential to have a baby with a severly deformed head, so if you're a girl don't get pregnant. They make you, and your parents if you're less than 18, sign a waiver. It's pretty intense, and lots of people end up going through severed depression or hanging themselves from the rafters. I was actually going through a severe bout of depression at the time, but I've never been suicidal, so under strict conditions, and based on the severity of my acne, she let me try it. My depression didn't get any worse, at least not that I recall; however, it certainly didn't get any better. Never had a suicidal thought to this day. My acne did drastically clear up. I still get (comparatively) minor acne, but I'm a bit out of shape, so I think that contributes to it. Either way, I am satisfied with the results I received from accutane.

Like everyone else I’ve tried everything possible there is. Acctune didn’t work well at for me, not to mention the absolutely horrible side effects. Finally I found a treatment plan that works for me

Benzamicyn x3 daily

Amoxicillin 250mg. x2 daily

Erythromycin 250mg x2 daily

Last edited:
The only thing that halfwork for me is the regimen, my skin look better lately

Retin A is amazing stuff...I came across some old samples and started using them, and the changes in my skin is unbelievable. I know it doesnt work for everyone, but nothing has ever helped me like this stuff. So Ive decided to make myself a priority and go back to the dermatologist for a prescription. Unfortunately, I believe its over 200 some dollars for a small tube of the stuff. Its such bullshit how the pharm industry rips people off. :(

adult acne

i had bad acne as a teen and took acutane for it - now my acne is getting worse and worse. i use a face wash with salycilic acid in it every day but it doesn't seem to help and my skin is getting apinful and embarassing. plus i no longer look like an adult - i look like a teenager again. does anyone else have the same problem? if so, what has worked for them to clear up their skin? i was thinking of getting proactiv but not sure if i can afford it. i can't afford to go to dermatologists again either. help!