• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

Deja, when youre financially in a better position to pay for it or have a job with good insurance you sound like a great candidate to try accutane....that cystic acne is really what it's prescribed for, and it is largely hereditary, and it's not often related to how you care for your skin. I would not recommend trying to get it/take it without medical supervision, but it's always something you can look into in the future.

I have a history of severe depression....when I used to go to a derm they told me accutane wouldnt be a good idea because of that...Ive thought about it though but the thought of my mental illnesses coming back full force scares me. :\

If not related to a dirty face, it has anything to do with diet.

fizzygirl said:
Deja, when youre financially in a better position to pay for it or have a job with good insurance you sound like a great candidate to try accutane....that cystic acne is really what it's prescribed for, and it is largely hereditary, and it's not often related to how you care for your skin. I would not recommend trying to get it/take it without medical supervision, but it's always something you can look into in the future.

I did accutane and it got rid of all those cystic type blemishes. However, the scars still remain (around 4-5 years later), which is almost as bad. :(

Once again the best solution for acne is VITAMIN B5

get B5 it works so well and it does not have the side effects of acutane.

I do have pretty good skin, but get blackheads. Especially by the nose and the crease of my chin. I do get the painful ones and some white heads once in awhile so I know how that can be. This is what I like for blackheads (and just good skin):

Neutrogena oil-free daily face scrub (gentle) in the morning, and their Deep Clean Gel at night. I also like Basis gel cleanser, when I can find it. I love DDF's Glycolic Toner or (second choice) Peter Thomas Roth's glycolic Toner.

I always use oil free lotions. For day, Neutrogena sometimes, but I like Oil of Olay's Total Effects, too. Both have SPF 15. For a 30 SPF I use Coppertone Faces. I am very fair and hate the sun, so I use that a lot. Peter Thomas Roth has a 45 SPF one for faces too.

Also, I'll swear by Bliss Labs Sleeping Peal serum (they also have a weekly peel). You use it under your moisturizer. I also like Philosophy's Save Me, used at night under mositurizer or instead of one . I want to try their Micro-Mini Peel pads and On A Clear Day cream, but they have tons of "On A Clear Day" products. I still haven't found a night-time cream I love.

Getting facials is helpful too. I like the glycolic peels (my trend in glycolic stuff) and oxygen ones. They say go every 1-2 months but I only go like every 3, then I do my own at home. Loreal's Demo kit is supposed to be good and I have tried the Neutrogena Micropeel stuff. It seems to be ok. Clinique's Emergency Mask is another I forgot! Helps when you've been irritating your skin.

Lastly, Joey Pure Pores. It's a gel like product that you leave on for a minutes and rub it off (feels like rubber glue). Interesting, works ok. Designed just for blackheads.

Some of these aren't cheap, but I am huge on getting good skin products. Try www.Sephora.com

When I do have the big one and they open/pop (or I pick and they get bloody and wounded!) I use Neosporin, pain relief. I know it seems like the kiss of death being a greasy ointment, but I swear it works (mom taught me that) Great after meth-fests of skin picking too.

From what I've read/learned, the key is moisturize a lot, even if it's oil-free. Drying out you skin will make it overproduce more oil and can cause acne even worse. Then you have the pores get clogged and if your skin is really dry it doesn't exfoliate/regenerate as easily.

Roby.K said:
Once again the best solution for acne is VITAMIN B5

get B5 it works so well and it does not have the side effects of acutane.

this is a crock of shit. all the info I found says that b5 in such high doses is not only ineffective, but dangerous.

here's one link: http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/b5-acne.html

be careful. One vitamin is the miracle cure for acne? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

^A lot of people on the acne message boards swear it works...my brother did it awhile back and didnt have any bad effects.

MynameisnotDeja said:
...my brother did it awhile back and didnt have any bad effects.

Did he have any positive effects?

5-10 grams of any supplement/vitamin/drug seems excessive and dangerous to me. And why don't any dermotologists seem to back this type of treatment?

SonOF said:
this is a crock of shit. all the info I found says that b5 in such high doses is not only ineffective, but dangerous.

here's one link: http://www.natural-acne-treatments.com/b5-acne.html

be careful. One vitamin is the miracle cure for acne? If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

That is the most bullshit artible i have ever seen.

It cured my acne and that's all i know.

Roby.K said:
That is the most bullshit artible i have ever seen.

It cured my acne and that's all i know.

That was a shitty article, true; but at least they weren't trying to sell me something.

All the one's I have seen in favor of B5 are just horrible. They are all just sites trying to sell me B5 and telling it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If anyone has an unbiased, semi-professional or scientific article regarding B5's affects on acne, please post it.

I'm not convinced by 5 people's anecdotal evidence. 5 people have probably cured their acne with peanut butter, but I don't think it's a viable option. :\

I've been using Proactiv for awhile, it did help me but they REALLY exaggerate it like it cures acne forever. I still have few acne and some acne scars from the past (I regret it so much for picking them out). So I'm wondering if theres one good acne treatment? Because I think Proactiv only prevents major breakouts.

My 2 cents:

Ive tryed Pretty Much everything from cheaper stuff(eg clearasil) to the more expensive stuff (eg proactiv, probs the best results came from this).
The first few weeks of using the new product my face will start clearing up nicely ... but then after this good few weeks my face just breaks out again and stays like that until ive finished all of what im using(how ever long i give it ago for) or have moved on to try something else ( like it builds up an immuity to it ?i dunno ha).

i tryed ZINC supplements(which has helped with the scaring to a degree) and B5 and anyother thing ppl have said to try and alas still same results (period of improvment followed by a return of wat it was like :( ).
i even went in and tryed the whole facial thing etc.

4months ago i started on actutane and since then ( apart from the EXTREMLY dry lips(could almost shed my lips like a snake does its skin) and slight general drying of the face ) friends and family have commented on how its looking clearer.
BUt like any drug, it effects different people in different ways. Apart from the EXTREMLY dry lips(could almost shed my lips like a snake does its skin), slight general drying of the face and tiny periods of depression (not even close to the extemes (eg. suicide), but noticable 2 me)
Still have a lil bit more of my course to go threw and some scaring to clear up, im glad i went on it.

SonOF said:
Did he have any positive effects?

5-10 grams of any supplement/vitamin/drug seems excessive and dangerous to me. And why don't any dermotologists seem to back this type of treatment?

Yeah his skin was definately looking a lot better.

i'm following the regimen on acne.org, it seem to work for like one month and now i'm starting to have breakout and gigantic pustule, my derm d'ont want to put me on accutane cause it seem like i'm not having sereve acne, but from all the years trying to get rid of acne my skin look like a fucking warground...

i've notined than when I dose mdma the week after I got terrible breakout! anyone noticed this?

That could be entirely possible. Think about when you're rolling...chances are you're getting sweaty and possibly dirty and not washing your face soon after. You may also touch your face more often, which wouldn't be great for your skin, nor does staying up all night and not eating properly.

there are other meds your dr can put you on (mostly antibiotics)...have you tried any of those? their side effects are waaaaaaaay less than that of accutane, and they aren't as expensive either.

i've tried Benzamicyn (it is BP Gel + Antibiotics) and it totally destroyed my face.. :( for now on i'm using BP gel 5% and a moisturizer and it's the better option yet... i'm soo paranoid about the food I eat it drive me crazy ! i'm gonna try to cut on dairy product cause it *seem* it help acne...

Stop mdma, Stop dextro-amphetamine...

I hope this will help !

Thanks Fizzygirl and sorry about my english it's not my native language.

SonOF said:
That was a shitty article, true; but at least they weren't trying to sell me something.

All the one's I have seen in favor of B5 are just horrible. They are all just sites trying to sell me B5 and telling it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If anyone has an unbiased, semi-professional or scientific article regarding B5's affects on acne, please post it.

I'm not convinced by 5 people's anecdotal evidence. 5 people have probably cured their acne with peanut butter, but I don't think it's a viable option. :\

You are right about the shitty articles pro-B5 as well because many of them just want to take yer money.

B5 works for about 80% of people and does not seem to have bad side effects when take with meals. I know this from huge message board and from my friends and my own experience.
No B5 won't cure acne forever and make your skin look perfect but it drastically reduces pimples and is well worth a try.

I highly advise against accutane even if it works. So bad for you in so many ways, avoid accutane at all costs.

I am currently using Doxycycline Hyclate. It's an antibiotic... It was working great for me until i started using Wellbutrin. My doctor told me there is no way it would cause acne, but it does. Anyways, now I am on the antibiotic plus differin gel plus benzoyl peroxide plus clindamycin (another antibiotic)... It sucks and is a lot of work, but it seems to be working good and my face doesnt get too dry.

I was just wondering if anyone else has any experience with Wellbutrin causing acne?

For some reason antibiotics also cause breakouts in me. :(
Ive never had any experiances with wellbutrin, I was on zoloft as a teen and never had bad skin then. I never had bad skin till I took those horrible birth control pills...damn they suck. :(