• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

THIS IS THE BEST SOLUTION FOR ACNE!!!!!

Vitamin B5.
read up about it and find out how much to take. It's between 5-10grams a day. Ya it's a lot but it works.

Washing your face 3 times a day, avoiding too many sweets and getting some sun exposure help as well.

Im unclear about the sunshine too.
It seems when I go swimming my skin looks a little better, but I dont know if its from being in the sun or from chlorine (A lot of people on the acne.org message board say chlorine helps).
Its definately true that these topical meds make you much more sensitive to the sun, so cover up with sunscreen!

I go swimming a lot to when I go out in the sun (Me and the ol lady just bought a home one week ago and we are in the process of getting our 6foot pool built!! =D ) so the chlorine might have something to do with it. If I am doing heavy activity out in the 110 degree weather (thats pretty cold right now in Phoenix, it was 114 today :\ ) and get really sweaty than I might break out a little but generally the sun helps a lot.

Ive been coating my face in benzoyl peroxide gel religiously again. I cannot praise this stuff enough. Nothing helps like it!

Roaccutane worked wonders for me when i got spots all the time, but now its just my exercise/diet that keeps my skin clear. Even tho i know there is apparently no evidence of acne being diet related, i still find the only times i get spots now are times when i dont eat properly(or take MDMA). So while it might not be the actual crap you are eating that causes the problem, the lack of GOOD food is probably the culprit.

Thats true. If you are stuffing yourself with burgers you probably wouldnt have a lot of room for veggies.

microdermabrasions have worked for me. i have been doing them every 2 weeks for a few months and my acne is gone!

i have a few zits here and there but thats part of being young :D

some bg, i am 18/m. i've tried topicals, pills, etc... this treatment has worked the best.

dont know what is it? google it!

Low GI diet may ease teens' facial acne
by Kate Woods
6 May 2005

WHITE bread may soon be off the menu for teenagers, with new Australian research showing low glycaemic index (GI) foods can help young people reduce the severity of their facial acne.

Presenting the results of their recent study at the upcoming Australasian College of Dermatologists annual meeting in Perth, the researchers will show that using a low GI diet for three months resulted in a 51% improvement in facial acne severity.

In comparison, people who continued to eat normally showed a 30% overall improvement.

The researchers, from the dermatology department of The Royal Melbourne Hospital, said high GI foods would induce hyperinsulinaemia, which could aggravate acne by increasing androgen levels, sebum production and promoting keratinocyte proliferation.

“These results suggest that a low glycaemic load diet may play a role in reducing the severity of facial acne,” they said.

Their study included 42 men with a mean age of 18 years. Those men randomised to the low glycaemic load group were supplied with a diet consisting of protein sources (25% ), carbohydrate sources (45% ) and fat sources (30% ).

The researchers said that studies to date had shown no link between diet and acne, but their findings suggested that there was a link between glycaemic index of the diet and acne severity.

-MEDICAL OBSERVER

UVA and UVB radiation (those found in sunlight and tanning beds) denatures ("kills") bacteria, much for the same reason that it damages your own cells, causing your melanocytes to produce melanin. From personal experience, the more tan I am, the more perfect my skin is. It's one of the reasons I tan regularly.

I knew a lad who got some medication for his acne made him really depressed (we know it was the acne medication because immediately after taking it his depression started) one night he got really drunk and went up to a park and hung himself from some goalposts I think he was about 16-17 at the time anyone from Ireland would probably remember the story of the kid found hung in Deerpark(not the murdered one) well that was him.

So please stay clear from any acne medication that side effects include depression.

Mad Out Of It said:
I knew a lad who got some medication for his acne made him really depressed (we know it was the acne medication because immediately after taking it his depression started) one night he got really drunk and went up to a park and hung himself from some goalposts I think he was about 16-17 at the time anyone from Ireland would probably remember the story of the kid found hung in Deerpark(not the murdered one) well that was him.

So please stay clear from any acne medication that side effects include depression.

Probably Accutane; it's some strong stuff and the verdict is still out on its effects on mental health.

Does anyone have a problem with zits taking forever to go away? Its like, the pain will go away but the lump and the red spot will stay at least for 3 weeks! I dont know what to do about it, all the benzoyl peroxide seems to do is get rid of the initial painful infection.

Painful infection? I have never recieved pain from pimples or acne. Its been awhile but I can't rmember being in pain from a zit, just the mental pain of having to walk around with red shit on my face. Bad for the self esteem. For the guyz, Nevia (sp?) for Men Oil-Free Face Lotion works nice. The brand that also contains the vitamins.

No...its definately physical pain. I get these huge lumps around my mouth that make it so I cant fully smile, because it stretches the skin. Its basically like having tiny pebbles under your skin that last for weeks. :(

Oh you lucky lucky people that never have to deal with this stuff...

That's the deeper, more cystic acne...it's mostly what I get when I get them now....they are *always* near my eyebrows or my nose and it drives me crazy, cause you can feel them, you just can't pop them! The best bet is to apply a cold washcloth to them, it will reduce the redness and leave it alone! That's hard for me to do as well but it keeps it from getting more red and irritated.
Nodular.jpg

These are as compared to the blackhead:
Blackhead.jpg

or the whitehead:
Whitehead.jpg

or the lovely thing the acne websites terms the pustule:
Pustule.jpg

MynameisnotDeja said:
No...its definately physical pain. I get these huge lumps around my mouth that make it so I cant fully smile, because it stretches the skin. Its basically like having tiny pebbles under your skin that last for weeks. :(

always..this is what people who don't have REAL acne have never experienced; and it sucks :(

I feel like my skin never heals itself. Even from a cut or whatever. Some people just "pop" pimples and a day or two later that shit is completely gone. Real acne sufferers know that NEVER works; unless you want a sweet scar.

Yes definately. I dont touch them at all, they scar anyways but they scar BAD when I mess with them. I still have scars from years ago.

I just need to cry or get some support or something right now..I can barely talk without this intense pain all around my mouth...its ugly, but it doesnt look half as bad as it feels. :(

MynameisnotDeja said:
Yes definately. I dont touch them at all, they scar anyways but they scar BAD when I mess with them. I still have scars from years ago.

I just need to cry or get some support or something right now..I can barely talk without this intense pain all around my mouth...its ugly, but it doesnt look half as bad as it feels. :(

I'm sorry :( That must suck. I have a clear face but I still get that shine and occasionaly some blemishes. I makes sure to wash my face three times a day (in the morning, after getting back from my job, and at night with Neutrogena soap, not the bar, the orange liquid) and Retin-A to keep my skin in tone. For the rare occasions when I get those small white heads, 2.5 % Benzoyl Peroxide products (Neutrogena On-the-Spot On-the-Spot Acne Treatment, Vanishing Formula).

Its some kind of hormonal/genetic thing. My brother gets pretty bad acne too. *strangely though, neither of our parents had it??*

I also keep getting these horrible absess like things on my face..they look the same as a zit, with a big whitehead, except the top part of the whitehead is rock hard, you cant pop it, it hurts really bad, and if exposed to steam (like just from washing my face), the hard top comes off and leaves this horrible open wound that takes weeks to heal. They are very nasty and NOT what I could consider a zit, but I get them along with the normal cysts.

That was like the grossest post Ive ever made on BL. :\

So far the only thing that works at all is just coating them in medicine and waiting. I would give anything to knowing the secret to not getting them at all. Ive tried EVERYTHING.