• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Acne Mega Thread

Proactiv. Seriously, it works. I tried everything bar accutane, and the benzoyl peroxide based products are all that have worked.

Also, tanning bed/solarium. Not too sure whether it actually does anything acne-wise, but it certainly improves the general appearance a lot.

For me some sun works, but too much and it gets worse. I have a friend who really had it, like hardcore, and got roacutane and he looks like he never even had acne now....

"A nutrient-rich, balanced daily diet is key to building and maintaining healthy skin."

While diet does not cause acne, it can cause it to be worse.

Not only do certain foods promote acne, being deficient in certain nutirents can also have a negative effect on your skin.

here is a message board regarding diet/holistic health linked to acne.
http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php?showforum=16

^exactly. Some people cant eat whatever ever they want and always have perfect skin. BUt for those of us with a preexisting acne problem, the wrong foods can really aggravate it. That message board has a lot of helpful info! Im a member. :)

African black soap with Cocoa Butter will help acne--it worked WONDERS for me. Or if you can't find it, a bar of Vitamin E soap will do--Puritan's Pride www.PuritansPride.com sells it rather inexpensively, and they always have some sort of sale going--buy 1 get 3, buy 2 get 5, etc.

Also oral Vitamin E--but the dry form. Harder to find and more expensive than the oil caps, but is better for acne as it is less oil going into your bory.

I find washing my face with a product called 'Young Solution' every day in the shower keeps my face free of acne and blemishes :)

The only time i really get acne is after a big weekend on the chemicals.. its predictable lol

When I was about 17 I had very severe cystic acne, it was pretty disgusting. After seeing a doctor and dermatologist I was put onto roaccutane immediately. Got dry lips and dry skin, but no real psychological harm (the acne was causing more than the drug). After a few months the acne cleared up permanently, but I was left with some pretty bad scarring on my back - cosmetic surgery helped a little there but they are still very visible. Not a lot you can do there. Anyway, roaccutane should really be used as a last resort, or only in cases where the acne is REALLY bad as mine was. I continue to get the odd pimple on my face but I can deal with that after what I went through, and at least they don't scar!

Does accutane help with those tiny blackheads on the nose, does anyone know?

I don't think that Accutane eliminates blackheads but not 100 % sure. There aren't too many topical medications that help reduce blackheads. I don't really have acne but I also have some of those tiny blackheads on my noes and they have been there forever. Its not like anybody would notice them though, unless of course you were specifically staring at my noes like 6 inches away from it.

I use lots of products on my face and do facials, and I dont get blackheads anymore..although I still get the acne. :(

^^^
Really. Is there anything specific you think helped with the blackheads?

Lots of benzoyl peroxide....I follow the plan on acne.org
My skin has been noticably better since using the BP gel they sell on that site..also I use exfoliating scrubs and various facial masks..that hormonal/stress acne though..there seems to be no way to stop it..besides healing it quickly once its already there. :\

I think the accutane is mostly for the cystic type. I went through a cycle of it when I was about 16 and they tell you that it'll 'get better before it gets worse' because all kinds of things are getting pushed out of your skin at once, but I don't remember an increase in blackheads at all. What I do remember is having tons of those really painful under the skin bumps that you can't pop and that makeup never covers :/ I was on vacation with my family that week too :( Thank god we were in a secluded cabin in the mountains because I don't think I've ever felt that ugly before or since!

Do you mean it will get worse before it gets better? ;)

I HATE those under the skin kind of bumps..they are the absolute WORST and make me feel SO SO SO ugly. :( I dont think I could ever handle accutane though..Ive heard so many horrible things about it.

hashforlife said:
My doctor won't give me (ro)acutane, because it can cause depression and suicidal behaviour in some people. I am some people it seems, or at least my doc thinks so. I guess needing AD-meds, valium daily, and sleep meds make him think I can't handle acne meds. I NEED IT, but now some laser treatment is working, albeit slowly:\

Eh, I was diagnosed as being bipolar at age 12, and I was prescribed Accutane at age 15. I never took meds for my depression though (long story) and since they do say that Accutane can cause suicidal symptoms and SHOULD NOT be used by people with pre-existing depression problems, you would think they wouldn't have allowed me to take it. 8(

But they did, and I didn't know better.... and goddamn that medication made my depression so much worse plus I had A FEW suicidial episodes.

But it did work wonders for my skin! But at what cost to my mental health at the time :\

neutrogena oil-free sunscreen or block! that's the only sun stuff that doesn't make my face break out.

and since i'm like a walking neutrogena commercial, lol, i'd also recommend their pore refining toner and multi-vitamin acne lotion. these work wonders for my monthly pms-time flareup.

K'dOUTinAZ said:
Sun...sun...sun...sun

It's strange because so many dermo's say "no sun, no sun;" many of the topical medications even say on the packages not to go in the sun. I have heard varying reports on the affects of sun on skin. I'm not sure myself.

As to those thinking about accutane, don't even think about it unless you have SEVERE acne. If you aren't sure if your acne is severe, it probably isn't. The stuff defintely work but it is a VERY strong medication. It is nice as a last option. And I will also say that it doesn't cure scars, nothing short of expensive laser surgery does.