Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Favourite Quotes

endlesseulogy

Bluelighter
"The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride..." And we... kill those people."

-Bill Hicks-

Some Douglas Adams quotes (one of the greatest men in existence :) I don't think anyone elses brain has ever worked quite like his did):

From a speech on technology:

"1) everything that’s already in the world when you’re born is just normal;

2) anything that gets invented between then and before you turn thirty is incredibly exciting and creative and with any luck you can make a career out of it;

3) anything that gets invented after you’re thirty is against the natural order of things and the beginning of the end of civilisation as we know it until it’s been around for about ten years when it gradually turns out to be alright really."

"Because the Internet is so new we still don’t really understand what it is. We mistake it for a type of publishing or broadcasting, because that’s what we’re used to. So people complain that there’s a lot of rubbish online, or that it’s dominated by Americans, or that you can’t necessarily trust what you read on the web. Imagine trying to apply any of those criticisms to what you hear on the telephone. Of course you can’t ‘trust’ what people tell you on the web anymore than you can ‘trust’ what people tell you on megaphones, postcards or in restaurants. Working out the social politics of who you can trust and why is, quite literally, what a very large part of our brain has evolved to do. For some batty reason we turn off this natural scepticism when we see things in any medium which require a lot of work or resources to work in, or in which we can’t easily answer back – like newspapers, television or granite. Hence ‘carved in stone.’ What should concern us is not that we can’t take what we read on the internet on trust – of course you can’t, it’s just people talking – but that we ever got into the dangerous habit of believing what we read in the newspapers or saw on the TV – a mistake that no one who has met an actual journalist would ever make. One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’."

" ‘technology’, as the computer scientist Bran Ferren memorably defined it, is ‘stuff that doesn’t work yet.’ We no longer think of chairs as technology, we just think of them as chairs. But there was a time when we hadn’t worked out how many legs chairs should have, how tall they should be, and they would often ‘crash’ when we tried to use them."
------------
From an interview:

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. "
-----------
From the Hitchhiker's series:

"He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife. "

"It is no coincidence that in no known language does the phrase 'As pretty as an Airport' appear. "

"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't."

"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."

"Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.'
---------------

Here are some of my favourite quotes from the Mars Trilogy (Red Mars, Green Mars, and Blue Mars) by Kim Stanley Robinson. Most of these quotes are from random conversations between characters which is the why the tones are so different:

''If democracy and self-rule are the fundamentals, then why should people give up these rights when they enter their workplace? In politics we fight like tigers for freedom, for the right to elect our leaders, for freedom of movement, choice of residence, choice of what work to pursue - control of our lives, in short. And then we wake up in the morning and go to work, and all those rights disappear. We no longer insist on them. And so for most of the day we return to feudalism. That is what capitalism is - a version of feudalism in which capital replaces land, and business leaders replace kings. But the hierarchy remains. And so we still hand over our lives' labor, under duress, to feed rulers who do no real work.... 'So. We must challenge. It is time. If self-rule is a fundamental value, if simple justice is a value, then they are values everywhere, including in the workplace where we spend so much of our lives'...."

"(...) that's a large part of what economics is - people arbitrarily, or as a matter of taste, assigning numerical values to non-numerical things. And then pretending that they haven't just made the numbers up, which they did have. Economics is like Astrology in that sense, except that economics serves to justify the current power structure, and so it has a lot of fervent believers among the powerful."

"Horrible how the revolution was being portrayed on Earth: extremists, communists, vandals, saboteurs, reds, terrorists. Never the words rebel or revolutionary, words of which half the Earth (at least) might approve. No, they were isolated groups of insane, destructive terrorists."

"You can't get any movement larger than five people without including at least one fucking idiot."

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
-George Orwell

Alan Watts on the polarity of things and reincarnation :

"You gotta come off, to know your on"

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

Confucius
Chinese philosopher & reformer (551 BC - 479 BC)

No matter how intellectually stimulating your topic of conversation might be, No one will take you seriously if your not wearing pants.

(Note this is a contested qoute. Half of the people who heard it claim that I made it up in year 9 at manly high. The other half claim it was a guy named Alex also in year 9 at manly high. Either way, all we can agree on is that it was produced in 2002)

^^ That actually a very good one..If you think about it, theres alot of meaning in that

^^did he notice do you think? smashing quote though mate

"I’ll just throw back my legs and pollute my britches with delight"
- C. Montgomery Burns

From the Simpsons last night. I couldn't stop laughing after hearing this one.

I'll come back with a serious one soon. :|

i suffer from arachnihomophobia -- its a fear of gay spiders.

but seriously. i love the last stanza of the Robert Frost poem "the road not taken"

I shall be telling this with a sigh
somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and i --
I took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference.

"The only second chance you get, is the chance to make the same mistake twice"

-=Unknown=-

I don't know why I like this quote... I just always have...

.: Your Young, Your Crazy, Your In Bed And You Have Knifes... Shit Happens :.

-= Angelina Jolie =-

^ Nice.

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference".

(I picked that up from someone in my welfare course early last year - I use it a lot!).