View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics & Telepathy

spini4

Bluelighter
what does everyone think?? I personally had a trip with a friend and at a point we were in seperate rooms for the whole trip and we had the same trip and both of us looked at our phones to check the time only to find that time was frozen both of us had the same time on each our phones had thoughts he had similiar too while tripping.....we were only with each other for the first 30 minutes of trippin then we each spent the rest of our trip in seperate rooms but still we had an identical trip and identical thoughts... just really wierd and id like some otheer opinions

Coincidence. Suggestibility. Communication between the rooms. Pre-trip communication. Post-trip communication. Impaired memory of the actual events.

Hint: there ain't no such thing as telepathy.

i think there's something to it. i've had the strangest things happen while tripping. you can buy into it as much as you want though.

there's way too many telepathy threads...we should create a mega-thread or something...? there's one in T&A right now...

Last edited:
Okay. No-one has demonstrated a case of telepathy that passes Hume's test in Chapter 10 ("On Miracles") of "An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding":

The plain consequence is (and it is a general maxim worthy of our attention), 'that no testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such a kind, that its falsehood would be more miraculous, than the fact, which it endeavors to establish; and even in that case there is a mutual destruction of arguments, and the superior only gives us an assurance suitable to that degree of force, which remains, after deducting the inferior.'

In simple terms: you should only believe something amazing if the implications of disbelief are even more amazing.

The complete text (well worth reading, albeit paper-book form is much more pleasant) is at http://eserver.org/18th/hume-enquiry.html#10 It's not that long and it's a pretty good read.

I wouldn't argue to the death that telepathy is impossible, but it seems like a pretty good working hypothesis. You'd have to provide some pretty incontrovertible proof to convert me.

I've had similar experiences with him. We would start talking about same topic with exact same opening sentence while on 5MeO-DiPT, LSD, even on shrooms. It happened pretty often... roffle

i tripped last wednesday and i had the most wonderfull experience, we were in an appartment 5 of us and i mentally orgasmed about 5 times never happened to me before the feeling was so intence it was wierd (i was with a girl at the time), no intercourse was involved but the feeling was great, unbelieviable and very very strange and yes i believe that telephaty does exist and is possible.....any views on this??

Me and some friends were trip[ping on some DXM freebase I managed to acquire and we got a call from a freind in Iowa who said he would be tripping that night also and would try and communicate with us using telepathy. The shit worked.......crazy night man :D

stropharia said:
Coincidence. Suggestibility. Communication between the rooms. Pre-trip communication. Post-trip communication. Impaired memory of the actual events.

Hint: there ain't no such thing as telepathy.

theres no such thing as coincidence either. think about it.

Isn't it interesting that those here with open minds, open to the possibility of telepathy, rather than first assuming it to be false, have had experiences if it- they speak from experience. Those that cite it as a product ofa temporarily mangled brain assume it's false therefore close themselves off to speaking only from ignorance.

theghostofbillhicks said:
Isn't it interesting that those here with open minds, open to the possibility of telepathy, rather than first assuming it to be false, have had experiences if it- they speak from experience. Those that cite it as a product ofa temporarily mangled brain assume it's false therefore close themselves off to speaking only from ignorance.

I have several times thought I was experiencing some form of telepathy on psycadellics, mainly on ketamine, but i'm still totally skeptical I think it's not nearly as mystical and non scientific as you 'believers' think. Most cases are to do with suggestability, your own twisted thought processes and coincidence, the rest are to do with psychology.

Last edited:
no intercourse was involved but the feeling was great, unbelieviable and very very strange and yes i believe that telephaty does exist and is possible.....any views on this??

Non-verbal communication, that's all - very important to social animals, especially primates with complex social interactions.

That said, I think that there is a feasable explanation of cases of 'telepathy' between twins. Similar brain structure (from same genetic blueprint in identical twins) equates to resonant cavity oscillators in RF electronics, and they have an extremely high Q factor (ability to tune into, and amplify, very specific frequencies). So if you have electical activity, producing e-m radiation in a structure, an identical structure is going to be very sensitive to receiving those e-m waves. Identical twins are the most probable example of any telepathy between humans

you should only believe something amazing if the implications of disbelief are even more amazing.

The implications of disbelief or belief are going to depend on an individual's personal experiences.

theghostofbillhicks said:

I've had experiences that momentarily felt telepathic. That is, I thought I knew what someone else was thinking, said so,and was told "Wow, that's exactly right"! Whoa, dude! Trouble is, you don't need to invoke telepathy to explain it. We knew each other well and were in the same situation. Good friends can often predict what the other will say. My conjecture that telepathy does not exist is based not on lack of experience thereof (I have never experienced synaesthesia either, but I still believe in it) but rather on my understanding of how the human brain works. The things that would have to happen for telepathy to occur are remarkably unlikely. And I don't buy the identical-twins explanation either. Identical twins do not have identical brains (different dynamics, even if similar structure), and there is no evidence that any particular thought can be inserted directly into anyone's mind by means of RF radiation. Certainly magnetic fields et al can influence brain function, and direct electrical stimulation of the cortex can elicit experiences, but the strengths here are very, very high compared to what the human brain gives off. Even with electrodes connected to the scalp, you can only get a very vague picture of what's going on. Every action potential will create an RF signal, but there are so many overlapping ones that you'll never tease them apart. And how do you distinguish between excitatory and inhibitory ones? Aargh, don't know what I'm talking about any more.

Telepathy could conceivably exist, with appropriate yet-to-be-developed implants in the visual (or other) cortex of the individuals concerned. You could even have a mobile-phone like interface, so you could send your diseased imaginings to a particular person :) Might sell well, except for the 'major invasive brain surgery' part. I don't reject telepathy on metaphysical grounds, or just because "it's nonsense"; I reject it because I can see a) no incontrovertible proof that it happens, and b) no mechanism by which it could take place.

I do not close my brain off to the possibility; 'I Want To Believe'. But I need evidence. And do not point me to the crappy parapsychological research out there that means as much as a gnat's ass.

From About.com.
Coincidence:
1. The state or fact of occupying the same relative position or area in space.
2. A sequence of events that although accidental seems to have been planned or arranged.

I certainly believe in coincidence #1: my butt and my chair more or less coincide
I certainly believe in coincidence #2: conspiracies are rare, but they do exist.

Not sure what the poster who said 'there is no such thing as coincidence' meant. :)