• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

The year 10,000

JudgeFishy

Bluelighter
I want you all to close your eyes and look into the future. What do you see? Most people think of the future as in tomorrow, next year, or maybe even when they are in their 60's. Most people don't imagine what there could be past their natural born lives.

I want you all to imagine in the year 10,000. Picture it. I look at the technology that we, as human beings, have come up with in the past 300 years. When you think about it, its quite astounding. I think to myself what possibly could they come up with in the next 8,000 years.

Do you think we'll even be human anymore? Or evolved into another species?

Do you think there would be colonization on other planets by then or do you think we will actually OWN many other planets. Imagine looking on yahoo maps for a city that is not only in a different country, but a different planet! Do you think there will be barriers that we cannot break and will remain on earth forever?

What kind of weapontry do you think they will have then. Video games can capture the idea of technological advances but I doubt any video game had weapons from that far into the future.

Will the human race continue it's quest for the ultimate peaceful civilization or will it go downhill and maybe not even reach the year 10,000? Will there be enormous world wars? I'm not talking WWII style, I'm talking the entire world gone on a war frenzee. Complete and udder chaos.

What kind of drugs will they have then? What kind of entertainment?

In my opinion I don't possibly see how we could even make it to that year. It just seems so out of reach. Too many unanswered questions. It's very hard to fathom. Won't all forms of entertainment start boring people? A long time ago children were entertained with jacks, possibly cards, climbing trees, simple things. Now in present time, video games and sports seem to be among the top of them all. I see virtual reality coming in the near future. But WHAT, I ask you, is after that? What could we possibly do with ourselves?

I dunno, I just daydream about the future all the time, and it just seems like a very risky place to be. I'm glad I was born in 1985. Very very glad. It almost seems like... This right now people.. Almost seems like it's the perfect time to be alive. Anyone agree with me on that?

I leave you with that. Hopefully I've sparked an interesting thread.

I see nothing. As in existence of the human race is no more. The planet will be inhabitable.

^^ there might be some truth to his last statement, but think about if our world would be able to bear another 8,000 years with habitable conditions...
I believe that it is very difficult to comprehend what the future will be like in such a great length of time... so I don't think about this as much anymore...
This is an interesting topic on what i'd like to write more about... but I have writers block... (possibly due to my extreme boredom at the moment[brain isn't functioning properly])
Bah... mabie someone could spark up my creative mood later on and then I shall post again!
for now... i'm off!
*WHOOSH!!*

I dunno, I just daydream about the future all the time, and it just seems like a very risky place to be. I'm glad I was born in 1985. Very very glad. It almost seems like... This right now people.. Almost seems like it's the perfect time to be alive. Anyone agree with me on that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well you couldn't really compare 85 with anything else, that's all you know for sure.

I for one would never agree with that.

As to the future. I believe If we make it that far, video games will be a joke.
We just might be tripping all the time and feel comfortable with it.

Originally posted by ihateecstacy
The planet will be inhabitable.

the planet is inhabitable today!

:)

alasdair

^^^^
Agreed!

I personally don't see us, humans that is, making it another 100 years... IMO, Mother Earth is royally pissed off and the Hurricane season of last year, floods, droughts, earthquakes, etc are all hints from Her to get it together, stop raping Her planet, or get ready for the consequences. If we don't stop soon and do everything we can to reverse the damage done, She'll just wipe us all out and start over again.

humans will have advanced to the point of being inseparable from our technology

It is possible that humans will be extinct by then.

It is also possible that humans (or our descendants or relatives) may still be alive, but that the technological, industrial, and possibly even agricultural revolutions will have been undone, and humans will revert to a more natural state. Or it is just as possible that this will happen, but then we will rebuild. It's hard to know.

I will say this, there would almost certainly be at least one nuclear (or worse, imagine matter/antimatter, neutron, or biological weapons) war before then.

I see two possibilities:

1.) A thinly-populated postindustrial utopia where people are sadder, but kinder and wiser due to the unpleasant experiences of the past.

2.) Anarchic, tribal societies eking out an existence among the ruins of the old world (think Mad Max).

Either way, I think the human race's present lifestyle: gross socioeconomic inequality, pollution, environmental destruction, and general flagrancy and wastefulness is unsustainable for the long-term. It may work for a few centuries, but eventually the despoiliation of the world will catch up with us.

I think this current millennium will make or break the human race, because so many important milestones could be met. The depletion of fossil fuels and their resultant waste, the promise or perdition of nuclear power, the expansion of biotechnology, the conflict between religious tradition and modernity (a battle that is in full swing today), the dominance of the information society, the possibilities of alternative energy sources, space exploration or colonization--these will probably all be big topics in this millennium, and we'll probably have an answer in 200 years or so. Either way, I think the adjustment to a better society or the collapse of the old one will be an unpleasant, bloody affair.

I don't envy the people being born today at all...

The major problem that any future civilizations would find, should there be a major collapse leading to a technological dark age, like what happened in Europe after the fall of Rome, is that we have already extracted all of the easily accessible oil and other fossil fuels. In other words, they would need technology which they dont possess in order to reach the oil needed to achieve that technology.

So we could see a replay of the agricultural revolution, but the industrial revolution appears to be a one-time event. Either we continue to develop into the technological revolution with advanced energy technologies (and at its most basic level, a society needs energy, whether the product of physical human labor, draft animals, or fossil fuels to survive), or humans will never be able to advance past the level of the Roman or early British empires.

All entities linked together, working as one enormous organism that seeks to engulf the entire universe.

I think our genetics will have changed a lot (artificially). I also think the world is moving more and more towards freedom and individual responsibility

We will be able to select what sort of genes we want to change in ourselves and our offspring. Everyone will be pretty, strong, and have amazing capacities of thought and brainpower. And most will choose to be genetically happy (getting rid of the downregulation/tolerance of receptors). Btw, this paragraph is inspired by www.hedweb.org

About other planets, i think its inevitable when you think about 8000 years (a little extreme? lol). 8000 years is wayyyyy down the road, i dont think we have ANY ability to see this far.

What kind of drugs? Drugs that have no toxicity or neurotoxicity, that don't create tolerance. with genetically engineered happiness there wont be any bad trips.

however, i think drugs will become outdated once we are able to link our brains to computers. to answer your question, this is what could come after virtual reality. And being able to program any world, any feeling, any NEW color or sensation, any possible thing you could percieve...how could computer uplinking get boring?

what is interesting is that any form of entertainment is able to get boring but directly stimulating the pleasure centers of the brain never gets boring (wirehead rats, this paragraph also from hedweb.org)

As for society... if we use drugs or genetics to make ourselves honest, compassionate, and happy, it's hard to imagine how healthy a society we'd have. We wouldn't be ants working in order, or wirehead rats pressing the pleasure button all day. We'd all (everyone who chooses to induce happiness this way) be self actualized and warm and loving (long term ecstasy anyone?)

thats my optimistic picture of hte future. of course, we could stay in our present patterns until we die. such huge changes in society could be met with the most extreme moral opposition that the ever growing desire to change has finally met its match, and the fighting ends us or the conservatives win and we go into a dark age of freedomlessness

i disagree that this is the perfect time to be alive. we may not live long enough for life extension and later age reversal technology... id like to live 100000 years and see everything that happens

Imagine what rave parties will be like in another 50 years!

woooooooooow, all those lights and eye candy.... *drools*
and the Music.... omg.... what kinds of new genres of music will there be?
Mind vibes: where you hook your brain up to a musical instruments, and it plays according to your brain waves ..... *drools again...*
I love technology :)

^party on

i think well be a different species if we last that long. we would probably be at peace by that time. we will probably have expanded to other planets.
drugs would be perfected and have no down sides. we probably wouldnt need entertainment because because wed probably all be perfectly happy.
we will have abandon money by then. possessions will be meaningless.
there will be no plant animal or person that hasnt been affected by genetic engineering.

If we fall the main problem would be radiation, all them nuclear subs and stuff. GM foods and GM animals going rampaging around the world could also have an effect. That would of coarse depend on what long term effects GM would have, but if we were not around I'd assume they would dominate whatever future ecologies that exist. Check out fallout 1 and 2, cool PC game based on the future.

it took us at least 7000 to abolish slavery on earth, and thats if you believe that slavery has actually been abolished. I reckon its gonna take at least another 8000 to realise that humans need each other. therefore in the year 10,000 i see two possibilities:
1) nothing is left but a big plaque on an empty pedastal, and it will read "The Winner of the Human Race, the first race in history that everyone lost."
2) we're pretty much at the same place we are now, after finally recovering from 'Real World War VII', except our by then we don't care about nukes, we worry about XYZ Bombes, nukes don't pull apart the fabric of space.

but regardless of whether either of these are true, drugs will only change a little. half the population will remain frightened, while the other half are devided between natural drugs and man made ones.
we will never get bored (or more bored than we allready are) and computer games will finally dominate our sport. think of a good game of chess compared to, say, swimming, although now add about forty more pieces to each side and create a 10 second per move time limit (due to the increase in average intelligence)

of course by then the world could be completely populated by cloned and/or genetically engineered humans, but only then life would be boring.

although i must say i kinda agree with DragonFlame, and that if we don't discover a way to sustain life in outter space for vast periods of time, by the time we reach the year 10,000 no one will be left to see it... ELE's 4 all!

Last edited:
I hate hearing that the "Hurricane season of last year, floods, droughts, earthquakes, etc" is a sign mother earth is pissed off... it isn't. you are wrong,. these events happened often before humans even existed, we just weren't around to feel the effects, pollution and people fucking up the earth aren't causing this, its not "mother earth" that idea is silly

As an aside, I don't think interplanetary / interstellar colonization is the answer. It's my firm belief that the problems of the human race are 90% psychology, with the remainder being resources. In short, we're going to take the mental baggage that's fucked up this planet and the societies on it where ever we go; unless we change the mind first, we can only expect to repeat history ad infinitum.

I actually read something about how humans are learing to harness d.n.a. and use it as a sort of c.p.u. on a computer. I can't remember exactly where I heard it but it's supposed to be really powerful. And it's supposed to happen really soon.

Anyway, if this does happen I can see humans using this technology to create sort a human-computer mix. If this kind of technology is converted into some kind of chip that links with the brain (which seems possible because it's freakin d.n.a) then it would seem likely that humans would be capable of things that we can only imagine.
i.e. being able to complete tasks hundreds of times faster. or being able to store a lot more knowledge than out current brains can.

This technology could enable us to us %100 of our brain. Think about it. It seems logical. The human race would be a sort of living, breating, super computer.

If you want to read more about the d.n.a. thing try a search on yahoo or google. I believe the research is taking place somewhere in Wisconsin, like a university or something.