• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Snorting trazadone

Philoscybin

Bluelighter
A friend of mine got his hands on several trazadone pills so he and another kid, being stupid, insuffilated about 2 of them. I had taken this shit before as an anti-depressant and told both of them about having no rec. value, not to mention it takes days for the AD properties to kick in. I know they can be used sometimes as a sleep-aid, but these two guys were so out of it it was as if they'd swallowed a handful of benzos. Could it be that these two actually got off w/ this shit or just underestimated their vulnerability to the placebo effect? Also, take into consideration, one of them was stoned and speeding several hours prior, but the other took nothing but two lines of the crushed chalky powder. In my mind they are idiots. It reminds me of a time some kid snorted Zoloft thinking it was fucking Straterra (yes Strattera) with "Zoloft" so blatantly marked on the pill. Can anyone else put this into perspective for me and tell me these two are just fiends? Or maybe some of you guys have actually done something similar in stupidity you'd care to share. The dumbest thing I think I've ever done was try and freebase methylphenidate and smoke it w/ weed.

According to rxlist.com, trazodone is freely soluble in water. So snorting it would cause the drug to hit you harder and faster. Since trazodone is a more sedating SSRI maybe that explains why they got "fucked up". They are still dumb for doing it though IMO.

I have a prescription for trazodone and I never take it. All SSRIs are worthless to me. My doctor tried to trick me into taking trazodone. I had this long conversation with him about how I hate SSRIs, but I wanted something to help me with anxiety, and I also mentioned I was having problems sleeping. He gave me lorazepam (which was nice of him), but he also gave me trazodone, which I later found out was a fucking SSRI. That cock sucker.

I actually took the pills for a few days (because I trusted my doctor like everyone should be able to do) before I looked them up online and realized they were an SSRI. Needless to say, I'm in the process of looking for a new doctor.

trazadone is an anti-psychotic.
most people actually find it dysphoric. :)

Nope, it's an anti-depressant. SSRI's aren't classified as anti-psychotics.

I was once prescribed it as a sleep aid. Aint shit compared to lorazapam or any benzo for that matter.

Good lord folks. Is this what it has come to? People insulfating antidepressants? Insulfating an antidepressant does not 'get you high,' or make you 'fucked up,' it simply makes you a dumbass--there is no other way of putting it. First of all, trazadone is not pleasant, most people find it aversive. Second of all, why in the hell would one insulfate it? The take home message today kiddies is:

Stop shoving random shit up your nose.

"The more you know...'cause knowing is half the battle."

Trazodone is NOT an SSRI! You obviously didn't do your homework thoroughly enough.

I found it not that bad as a sleep aid but useless as an antidepressant, and I have never heard of it having any recreational value.

*shakes head*

God, people will do ANYTHING to get high.

^^ Here's semi-proof it is: http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/traz_cp.htm

"The mechanism of DESYREL’s antidepressant action in man is not fully understood. In animals, DESYREL selectively inhibits serotonin uptake by brain synaptosomes "

I guess it doesn't say it is for "MAN" but what else can you classify it as?

EDIT: pending more sources.. I know I've read many claims that trazodone is an SSRI. Let me try and find more.

No, it is NOT in the family of Selective Seratonin Reuptake Inhibitors, which all are similar in structure chemically. Trazadone is different in structure, despite the fact they both have the same mechanism of action.

and if you don't believe me. . .

http://www.biopsychiatry.com/trazodone.htm

"Trazodone is a triazolopyridine derivative, chemically and pharmacologically unrelated to other currently available antidepressants. It possesses antidepressant, and also some anxiolytic and hypnotic activity. Results from a small number of short term (4 to 6 weeks) comparative studies in a total of 320 evaluable elderly patients with major depression, suggest that trazodone at therapeutic doses is superior to placebo and as effective as amitriptyline, imipramine, fluoxetine and mianserin in relieving depressive symptoms. Trazodone has also been successfully used in a small number of patients with depression and pre-existing cardiovascular disease. More recently, trazodone has been used as a hypnotic for psychotropic-induced or other insomnias with some success. However, further clinical experience is needed to confirm these preliminary results. In the elderly, maximum tolerated doses of trazodone are 300 to 400 mg/day, although higher doses of up to 600 mg/day are tolerated by younger patients. Drowsiness is commonly reported, but the incidences of both anticholinergic and cardiovascular effects were notably lower in elderly patients treated with trazodone compared with older tricyclic antidepressants. However, undesirable effects such as orthostatic hypotension, arrhythmias and priapism need to be closely monitored. In comparison with other currently available agents, particularly the tricyclic antidepressants, trazodone is relatively safe in overdose. In terms of therapeutic efficacy, trazodone appears to confer little advantage over other available antidepressants. While limited data suggest that trazodone may be better tolerated than older tricyclic antidepressants, especially in the elderly, there is a paucity of data at present comparing trazodone with the secondary amine tricyclic agents, serotonin reuptake inhibitors or moclobemide. Bearing this in mind, trazodone may be of use in elderly patients in whom anxiety and insomnia are problematic, and in those patients who are unresponsive to or cannot tolerate therapy with other agents. Studies are also required to define the place of trazodone in long term prophylactic therapy for recurrent depression. Future trials comparing both its efficacy and tolerability with those of newer agents will ascertain whether trazodone becomes a first line agent within these subsets of elderly patients. "

So it's KIND OF like the Tramadol to the SSRI world? Or the Ambiem to the Benzo world.

^^ DexterMeth has a good point. It's true I guess. Since not much is known about exactly how it works.

"Trazodone – a dual serotonin 2 antagonist/serotonin reuptake inibitor (SARI) medication. Includes brand names such as Beneficat, Bimaran, Deprax, Desirel, Desyrel, Manegan, Molipaxin, Pragmarel, Sideril, Taxagon, Thombran, Trazalon, Trazolan, Trazon-150, Trazonil, Trittico."

http://www.depressioncenter.net/library/medication_glossary4.cfm

Can someone explain to me the difference between an SSRI and an SARI? It sounds like some serotonin re-uptake is going on, along with something else?

Basically, an SSRI is a compound that inhibits the 5-HT reuptake transporter protein, but does not affect any other neuronal receptors to any significant degree. A SARI is an industry invented term, not a chemical term, to describe drugs like trazodone, nefazodone, buspirone (an anxiolytic that doesn't work) and ziprazidone (Geodon, an atypical antipsychotic). These compounds have some affinity for the 5-HT reuptake transporter but also affect any number of other neuronal receptors.

Trazodone is an oddball--it has some 5-HT reuptake inhitibiting ability, but is also an antagonist at 5HT2a and 5-HT2c receptors (interestingly, fluoxetine is also a 5-HT2c antagonist). In addition, it has some (as of yet unexplained) agonist/antagonist action at 5-HT1a receptors (like buspirone) and mild antagonist activity at dopamine D2 receptors (like many antipsychotics). If that weren't enough, trazodone is metabolized to m-chloro-phenylpiperazine (mCPP), an odd 5-HT releaser related to the 'illicit' piperazines benzylpiperazine (BZP) and trifluoromethyl-phenylpiperazine (TFMPP).

Attached is a little chemical structure comparison of trazodone, mCPP and buspirone.

Last edited:
I know people that snort it and get fucked up off it all the time.. of course im not saying its smart... but it is more that placebo..

^ Nah, I don't mind snorting roxicodone, oxycontin, and hydromorphone pills.

Sniffing pills with APAP, or sniffing pills that aren't opiates is dumb in my opinion.

Some people might argue that it's worth snorting some amphetamine pills. Back when I was into amps I didn't like to snort ritalin/adderall. I thought it was better to take orally. Dexedrine was the only amphetamine that gave me a good rush when I snorted it.

I snort oc's quite often too, but i still dont think it's smart. I self contradict myself all the time. Someone has got to look out for this fool.

My shrink used to give me trazadone just as a sleep aid. Other than that I think its pretty much worthless. Perhaps some people just think railing anything makes them look cool? Reminds me of idiot friends in elementary school who used to snort pixie stixs and act high.