• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Injecting Hydrocodone

CreativeRandom

Ex-Bluelighter
Can hydrocodone be IV'd?

Is it worthwhile in your opinion, does anyone have any experience, and can you please explain it?

This is not "can I IV vicodans"

This is can HYDROCODONE be iv'd?

There are no formulations of hydrocodone available in a parenteral form, because, like codeine, significant pulmonary edema would result- very bad for you- it can cause death rather quickly. As far as I know, oxycodone is the only member of the 'codone family' (itself a thebaine derivative, though...), that can be safely injected, w/o the risk of P.E... :\
It (hydro) can (like codeine) be given IM, but unless you have the amps designed for it, I wouldn't do it, just because IM is a good way to get some nasty abcesses, if the product is not close to 100% pure (USP).
Unless this grosses you out, I'd suggest performing a CWE on your hydrocodone, and make youself a nice 'hydro enema'. For real...
But since the oral bioavailability w/ hydo is so high, just drink it down. To get the most absorption from your gut, though, about 20-25 min. before you dose, drink some baking soda water (about 3/4 tsp. in approx- 1/3 cup of water). It won't work miracles, but it'll help a bit w/ the absorption.
Now another thing you might want to try, is to take some cimetidine (OTC- Tagamet). Cimetidine is a pretty potent inhibitor of the hepatic (liver) enzyme (CYP-2D6) that helps to break down hydrocodone in your system. It works for me anyway... :\
It doesn't make it hit you that much harder, but it increaes the duration of it quite a bit...Hope this helps 'ya..:\

Cimetidine is a pretty potent inhibitor of the hepatic (liver) enzyme (CYP-2D6) that helps to break down hydrocodone in your system. It works for me anyway...

Cimetidine inhibits CYP3A4/5. Inhibiting 2D6 prevents the O-demethylation of hydrocodone to hydromorphone, 3A4 prevents N-demethylation of hydrocodone to nor-hydrocodone (and hydromorphone to nor-hydromorphone). As out of all those compounds, hydromorphone is the most potent mu agonist, the best result would be to take something that inhibits 3A4 and induces 2D6. The latter is only achieved by compounds you wouldn't volunteer to take without an illness, so 3A4 inhibitors are the only real option.

As far as choice of inhibitor goes, I wouldn't suggest cimetidine straight off, as at larger doses it is a non-specific inhibitor of cytochrome P450; my 1st choice would be grapefruit juice - not only does it inhibit 3A4, but the volume of juice also prevents the constipation that comes with all the codeine derivatives (well 750ml prevents constipation for me - and that's the real problem I have with codeine & family).

As to the original question - yes but you've also had the reasons it's not a good idea explained as well

search for negrogesic's foray into mindblowingly large IV'd hydrocodone adventures...although if I recall correctly it was indeed USP grade...

and to kill two birds with one stone....i've taken 400mgs cimetidine with my normal hydro dosage levels quite often in the past 1-2 months, and I swear the last time I battled the Vikings, sans cimetidine, the duration actually was longer....i keep trying to play around with dosages, length of time ingested before hydro ingestion, but I can never garner a conclusive opinion as to its effects regarding cim.

I believe I will try the baking soda "trick" today...

soundphaRm said:
. To get the most absorption from your gut, though, about 20-25 min. before you dose, drink some baking soda water (about 3/4 tsp. in approx- 1/3 cup of water). It won't work miracles, but it'll help a bit w/ the absorption.

Does this work with all opiate, oxycodone in particular

I'm a bit confused here, soundphaRm just said that injecting hydrocodone, will, like codeine, cause pulmunary edema, where water fills up your lungs and the reason why people don't IV (or IM for that matter) codeine.

Yet, people are also saying here if you have pure, lab grade, USP hydrocodone, it can be injected IM/IV safely.

That's where I'm lost.

Also, I understand shooting vicodans is bad, and that the APAP will hurt you. I am assuming perhaps this mixup is because your saying shooting vicodans will cause Pulmunary edema?

So can it be assumed that APAP causes pulmunary edema when injected/IM'd?

^^^Beat me to it, but yes, that is a decent reference.

I have gone in some depth into this subject in some old thread and a search should be of use, and yes, i HAVE injected norcos (get ready to whip out your 10cc rigs, or poke yourself a dozen times). What a waste of time, honestly it took me forever to prep that monster. Save your hydrocodone and buy some heroin, unless your down to this, in which i can say, get off opioids while hydrocodone in ANY form can get you high. Just keep in mind the maximum solubility, and more importantly, the risk reward benefit (endocarditis was mentioned)

IVing hydroodone SUCKS, and im not one to turn down a mu agonist......

Last edited:
I couldn't find it, I looked up "negrogesic hydrocodone" and "injecting hydrocodone".

I saw your "Behemoth oral hydrocodone dose" post though. Very interesting. Did you ever try the test again, with a higher dosage (1g was what you were saying you'd need)