• S E X
    L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

"Bug Chasers" Merge

exarkann said:
people have the right to kill themselves, no matter how slowly it goes...

Do you 'honestly' think that's what it's about?

I for one don't - it's about the power trip they get from knowing that when they contract it they'll kill others!!! and no-one has the right to do that!

but its not killing yourself...

they are engaging, in everyday life, a very risky activity with other men, by going into these activities it means they might get an arousal mechanism triggered by infecting men or wonem without them even knowing....

its not killing yourself.... they are not trying to committ suicide... what they are doing is blatent misconduct and negligent....

I wonder if there's a correlation between drug use and bug chasing/gift giving. Not to load the discussion, but certain drugs (especially meth) can tend to make people more prone to engage in risky behavior.

I'm not even going to try to sound like an authority regarding this, because I most definitely am not- but I think this thread has drifted from the topic.

"Bug Chasing" is NOT about someone who is HIV+ going around and infecting others. Its about someone who is HIV NEGATIVE who seeks out positive partners. From what I gathered from a discussion we had about it in college (as well as the article) is that the negative person is "chasing the bug" just so that they no longer have to worry about becoming infected; they see it almost as an inevitable event, that someday they will most certainly become HIV+, so they want to get it done and out of the way so that they can continue to have sex without wondering "will I get it this time?" Its like some sort of safety blanket- knowing that they are already infected means that they can have all the unprotected sex they want and not have to worry any longer. Once they have "caught the bug", most seek out other positive partners (and not get off on infecting others) and have unprotected sex from that point forward.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

Miss Sin Is In said:
I'm not even going to try to sound like an authority regarding this, because I most definitely am not- but I think this thread has drifted from the topic.

"Bug Chasing" is NOT about someone who is HIV+ going around and infecting others. Its about someone who is HIV NEGATIVE who seeks out positive partners. From what I gathered from a discussion we had about it in college (as well as the article) is that the negative person is "chasing the bug" just so that they no longer have to worry about becoming infected; they see it almost as an inevitable event, that someday they will most certainly become HIV+, so they want to get it done and out of the way so that they can continue to have sex without wondering "will I get it this time?" Its like some sort of safety blanket- knowing that they are already infected means that they can have all the unprotected sex they want and not have to worry any longer. Once they have "caught the bug", most seek out other positive partners (and not get off on infecting others) and have unprotected sex from that point forward.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

That is what i use to think too, when i first heard about this a few years ago. But the more i talk to people about this, the bug chaser, once he gets infected, actually will a lot of time start the dangerious practice of lying to others to get them bareback and infect them without their knowledge. They (the bug chaser) seek out the person to infect them because they want the control that they are making the decision. Just as they want the control in infecting others. They dont wanna be like their victims who dont know what is really happening. they like the idea they had the power over the situation, which ties into their post dangerious behaviours.

^^ I've read of both, with the majority 'chasing' the 'bug' (looking for the disease), but also some individuals expressing hostility (?) through unknown transmission of the virus.
Some have claimed that they will 'probably get it anyway' and figure it a quicker means to that end and may see it as a form of taking control over one aspect of their life (and, in turn, death) wish they may feel a lack of control over. It is dangerous and risk-taking behavior, and for many this is the stimulating part of the act. I've even read of men who 'give' the disease to willing recipients and then revel in the satisfaction when the other person starts to get 'sick' (showing physical signs of deterioration).
It is a disturbing occurrance, but an interesting one.

i had such an emotional response when reading this...i think i tend to be pretty green in many areas. i don't mean to be ignorant, i just understand why anyone would knowingly sacrifice life and health for fleeting sexual pleasure. it kind of seems like a strange, dark nightmare or the premise of a morbid, eccentric movie.

I will 4 sure check it out first chance I get. :)
Thanks for the info. i had never heard of it before.
I will look it up online and see how much it is to buy, and if i get a chance to see I will forsure let you know my thoughts on the matter :)

I find this very fucked up and disturbing

what bothers me the most are the people that are HIV positve, and lie to the people they are sleeping with about it, thus giving it to them.

people like that should be put behind bars for murder. Sorry I know thats harsh but ruining someones life so that you can get off is sick and twisted.

djfriendly said:
What no one's mentioned yet is how much this costs taxpayers and insurance companies. I don't know much about the drugs used for treating HIV, but one thing I know is they are expensive.
This is what I thought. And how about the families, all the heart ache of watching your loved ones get sick. This is one of the most selfish acts I've read about in a long time. I can't believe there is a cult following for this. What the fuck is wrong with people?

maybe they know they're dying and misery loves company....

not that i'm not empathetic.. but I don't think these people should be behind bars.. just fucking grant them their wish.

Killem'.

that morbid enough for ya bug chasers?

______
But then, what about the ones who are actually receiving?

they need help... I mean.. if they let someone do that... would they let someone fuck them with a anthrax-releasing dildo? haha? I mean..

isn't knowingly infecting people with HIV illegal?

anal sex itself is illegal in a lot of states...

The man in the article mentioned something about becoming part of "the brotherhood" I wonder if a sense of belonging has anything to do with this??

I told my boyfriend about this article and he said "that just proves to me that homosexuality stems from some type of traumatic childhood, if there can exist this underground subculture of all gay men--no heterosexual men--that is so fucked up than that means that THEY are fucked up."
I never thought homosexuality was some type of mental illness before, but his point does seem relevant...any thoughts?

"Gift giving"
what a fucking idiotic term.

In the later stages of AIDS when they are 45kg's and unable to keep down a boiled egg i hope they enjoy "the gift".

people as stupid as this are bound to die sooner rather than later anyway. If they somehow dont get the "gift" then it will be because of something like using a fork in a toaster balanced on a wire above a bath.

exarkann said:
people have the right to kill themselves, no matter how slowly it goes...

But does a human have the right to contribute to the death of thier species? I certainly think not. Purposly spreading a disease like that should be punished by death. In the end it boils down to homicide on a grand scale.

on the road said:
I told my boyfriend about this article and he said "that just proves to me that homosexuality stems from some type of traumatic childhood, if there can exist this underground subculture of all gay men--no heterosexual men--that is so fucked up than that means that THEY are fucked up."
I never thought homosexuality was some type of mental illness before, but his point does seem relevant...any thoughts?

Well from what I understood in the Rolling Stone article, the "bug chasing" was a sort of result of the fact that society looks down upon gay people. Gay people are often associated with promiscuity (sp?) and AIDS, and are discriminated against for this reason... maybe this is what helps drive some of them to the edge so that they sort of become what society expects them to be... Promiscuous poeple who spread HIV.

I dunno though, there probably isn't one straight answer for a thing like this, society or traumatic childhood. I think it would be wrong to claim that all homosexuality came from childhood traumas, though. I'm guessing that the coming-out process can be very traumatic for some homosexual people with conservative backgrounds... even before coming out, knowing that there is something "wrong" with you and that mommy and daddy probably wouldn't be pleased... I mean some cases are extreme, they get shunned by their families, etc. This is probably what "fucks them up" (the ones that are fucked up, that is, I am NOT saying that all gay people are fucked up) a lot of the time.

Last edited:
This is totally disturbing. I can't understand the mentality of someone who would want to get a *potentialy* fatal disease in order for them to have loads of unprotected sex.