MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

chrissie

Bluelight Crew
Next week I am going to be part of an interview for another designer that will be working with me. The people from HR sent this to me and I thought it would be of help to those of you going on an interview.

INTERVIEWING TIPS AND SAMPLE QUESTIONS

Prepare a list of standard questions in advance and ask these questions to all candidates so you can compare answers in an “apples to apples” manner. The list will also help you stay on track.

Review the candidate’s resume before the interview.

Take notes during the interview so you can remember the answers each candidate provides.

Help make the candidate feel at ease by starting out with small talk.

Let the candidate do most of the talking and listen attentively. If you don’t understand something, ask the candidate to explain it. If you miss something, ask the candidate to repeat it. Ask follow-up questions for elaboration.

Sample questions:

• Tell me about yourself.
• Walk me through your resume.
• Did you leave any jobs off your resume?
• Why are you changing jobs?
• What is most important to you in a job?
• What are your short and long-term objectives?
• What interests you about this position?
• Why do you want to work for our company?
• What do you know about our organization?
• How does your past experience qualify you for this position?
• What is the most important quality you offer?
• What would previous supervisors say are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
• What do you feel are your strongest and weakest points?
• Can you provide an example that demonstrates your organizational (and/or communications, interpersonal, supervisory, management, leadership, time management, conflict resolution, team-player) skills?
• How do you keep yourself organized?
• How would you help me to be better organized?
• How do you prioritize your work?
• What motivates you to do your best?
• What do you think would be most challenging for you in this position?
• Can you give an example of a time when you did not agree with a colleague and how you handled the situation?
• What frustrates you, and how do you handle that frustration?
• Describe what type of work environment you thrive in.
• How were your performance reviews in past jobs?
• How did you do in school?
• Did you work while attending school?
• How do you like to be managed? Who was your favorite boss and why?
• What was your best employment/career experience? What was your worst?
• What do you like most and least about your current (or most recent) position?
• What do you do when you make a mistake?
• When would you be able to start?
• Do you have any questions?

Last edited:
I'd interested in this also.. Not that Im being interviewed anytime soon "touch wood" but Id like to know.

I have found that confidence is a key in being interviewed, professionalism, high standards, etc. It nearly always worked for me.

shals :D

I recently went for an interview for a job that I was qualified for, however the second question really threw me and I haven't been able to answer it in my head since- "What does working in a team mean to you"?
I KNOW the answer but couldn't think of a simple way of putting it. Any ideas?

My first pick of places I would like to work for has called me back and wishes to interview me tomorrow! I'm confident but also very nervous, as I have never done a telephone interview.

If anyone here has done one and can offer me any tips I would greatly appreciate it!!

I recently had a successful phone interview. Treat it like a regular face to face interview. I would say they are doing phone interviews to save time, so don't babble on too much as they are probably doing interviews all day at 20minute intervals.

It may be handy for you to write down any questions you have for them. And even have your resume infront of you. This way when they ask you about previous work, you have the info right infront of you and you don't have to hesitate as you think back all those years.

Have a glass of water near too incase you get a dry throat or need to cough. And make sure everyone in your house is quiet then. Turn off the radio and TV.

Good luck!

First of all, wear a suit! ;)

I've had a number of phone interviews in the past year. If you treat it like a face to face interview, you'll be fine. Just make sure their are no distractions around, maybe have a copy of your resume handy as well as some other reference materials, if necessary. Then, make sure your phone is charged and you're comfortable. I find myself chain-smoking during phone interviews, so if you're a smoker, you may want to be in an area you can smoke--it's oddly comforting.

Good luck!

shit, i'd LOVE to smoke while getting an interview. lol

The first two suggestions are excellent. Comfort is key (the water, somewhere you can walk and talk and smoke if needed, etc) but also stay professional (prepared questions, practiced answers for expected questions, suit or other professional attire). I'd make sure you had a room to yourself, so you don't have noises or other distractions during the interview - get there 10-15 minutes early to start focusing and relaxing (both at the same time...hehe).

Actually, I've worked with several recruiters. One of them gave me the attached document specifically for phone interviews. See if it helps you with this (if I'm not too late). Best of luck.

Attachments

• telephoneinterviewsuggestions.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 133
As a second reference from the recruiters, I've attached the 15 questions Interviewers ask most. Granted, I'm generally interviewing for a mid-management type of job so not all the questions would be the same, but it can give you an idea of some of the things to expect.

Attachments

• the15questionsinterviewersaskmost.doc
    21 KB · Views: 131
If it gets to a face-to-face interview, here are another set of tips.

Attachments

• facetofaceinterviewsuggestions.doc
    26 KB · Views: 136
Both the face-to-face and phone interviews deserve a thank you letter as follow up. While some of the documents I've posted suggest an email within 24 hours, there should be a regular postal letter (even saying the same things) sent as well. At the least, send the real letter over the email as it shows a sincere interest in the position and company, as well as a professional appreciation of the company's effort to interview you and find the right candidate. Good luck, ice.

Big thanks go out to all of you.

I tried to prepare as much as possible but unfortunately, I was still pretty nervous and didn't do as well as i had hoped to. I blanked out at a few questions, ugh. They said they would let me know within the week if they will keep me or not.

Phone interviews are teh ghey!!11

JOB INTERVIEW Help

I found out on sunday that i have a job interview on Friday at 2:30pm (GMT).

Its a Clerical Job, in a local hospitcal. I really want this job as i am currently working in a supermarket and, after 3 years, mainly part-time, I really hate it and want to leave! So I want to get this job!

Though its a little strange. If they ask me "why do you want to work for the City Hospital" - well i wont really have a good answer fot that will I. Okay so i dont really expect them to ask me that, so im not doing typical 'hospital stuff.'

Its a job with a computer; typing, something I know I can do, Decent paying and not the shitty supermarket I currenty work in!

Its a
Post - Clerical Officer

Principal Duties -

1 - maintain manual and computerised records and systems and ensuring patients records are available for clinics

2 - Preparation of casenotes for clinics

3 - Assist with telephone enquies, provide reception duties when required.

4 - Sort and distribute mail to relevant personnel

5 - Lianse with other departments within the truse and expernal organisations to ensure a full and effective service

6 - Providing cover in other areas when required

7 - Retrieval of casenotes to be sent to 'off site storage'

SO yeah - I would really like some advice on how to do well in this interview! I want to appear as though i really want the job (which i really do - though obviously not wanting to appear cocky - which i find it hard to do anyway).

So, yeah, if anyone could help me with some general interview Questions that would be gratewfully apretiated. (SUch as - negatives about myself, I find hard to answer, etc)

Thanks!

~Obsolete~

The most important question to answer and prepare for is the final question 'Do you have any questions?' If you dont say something smart you will definitely have a big sticker saying 'Im not really seriuos abt this job' or 'I dont have the sassiness and confidence needed to do this job'

I have three main questions i have which i use for every interview....

1. What is the main tasks you want me to accomplish first?
2. What are some of the likes and dislikes abt working here...(depending on the situation you can just say - whats it like working here)
3. Now you have heard abt my qualifications is there anything do you feel there is something which would stop me from doing this job well ? (your chance to answer any doubts they may have)

Not to play down the role off preparing several examples to answer the questions which tests your other skills etc...but if you answer those well and also ask well thought out questions...you will leave a very bright chance off nailing the job... Last tip go on to Shareza and search for interview tips etc and read these ebooks !!!

Oh yeah Obsolete if you really want this job you gotta put in the preparation...if you can answer most off Chrissies checklist with a well-thought out answer providing enthusiam and examples you will proby stand a better chance...if you are just gonna wing it ..chances are u will stumble and they will catch you out..so really its up to you and how bad you want it. I wouldnt worry too much abt the general questions like strength and weaknesses etc...sure if this is a question you think might come up and you find it hard to answer make sure you have some strengths and weaknesses handy...
I would concentrate my prep on the principal duties and what experience i may have in the pass doing some off these..or if you have little experience what work you are going to put in to get these skills when you get the job etc...
ie...where have you dealt with customers b4 ? name times when you dealt with a disgruntled employee...also your reason for getting out off the supermarket is a good answer...it shows you can hold down a stable job, have higher aspirations etc...anyway hope you do well

Last edited: