MEGA - Jobs, Resumes, Interviews

Thank you everyone, you've definitely helped calm my nerves! I don't think I've got the confidence to pull off any "creative embellishments" though... if I tried, they'd probably see right through me!

Other than that, you guys gave me some great advice I'm going to keep in mind. I'm going to be very positive and enthusiastic throughout the interview and definitely prepare myself as much as possible before the interview. I'll also be prepared to share some of my favourite books and authors! I am the type of person who prefers to be alone km267, so just knowing that this job really would fit my personality, skills, and interests is going to give me the confidence I need to sell myself to the interviewer, and convince her that I'm the right fit.

So thanks again and if anyone has any other advice, please feel free to share!

A few more questions!

When they ask you to tell them a bit about yourself, how exactly do you go about doing this? What kind of things are you supposed to say? I would think it would be awkward to get asked that and go straight into "Well, I'm a very hardworking person..." but I am not familiar with the whole interview process.

Also, when they ask you to give examples of a specific skill or attribute (for example, leadership), is it okay to use either examples that don't relate directly to the job or to use examples from your personal life? I mean, I don't really have any direct experience with libraries or places like that..!

And finally, is it alright to ask about the dress code at the end of the interview?

Last edited:
BE YOURSELF!

Just because you don't have a lot of work experience doesn't mean that you should pad your resume - talking honestly about your interests and your academic experience (particularly for a library/bookstore position) should serve you very well.

Leadership? Maybe talk about a group project at school or a time when you tutored someone or led a study group.

...and almost EVERY interview I've ever had they have asked this question:
"Can you explain a problem you had in your current/past working environment and how you solved it?"

If you can't think of anything great that will relate to the job at hand, well just make something up. Just be sure to emphasize that you work well with constructive criticism and will keep trying until the job is right without showing your frustration.

good luck!

If you're shy, make a concious effort to make eye contact with your interviewer. Also, try to smile a lot and be enthusiastic. :)

If they ask you to tell about yourself, do just that but in a way that describes you as a good candidate for the job. For instance, for a library job...I would say something like, "Right now I'm a student at ____, majoring in ____. I really like it; I enjoy school and I have a ____gpa. I'm looking for a job because_____, and I think the library would be a great fit for me because I love to read, am detail-oriented and I work well alone as well as with others." Or something along those lines, but in your own words of course. :) Good luck!

Be positive and never make negative statements about your previous employment or employer. My first big job interview when I was 18 was with a huge company that sent a recruiter from another state down to interview me. I was working for an arrogant attorney at the time so I was so frustrated with my boss that I told the interviewer how much of an asshole he was. HUGE MISTAKE!! Even if you hate your job, make sure to say positive things and say how much you have enjoyed it.

Last edited:
mrs-mojo-risin said:
Also, when they ask you to give examples of a specific skill or attribute (for example, leadership), is it okay to use either examples that don't relate directly to the job or to use examples from your personal life? I mean, I don't really have any direct experience with libraries or places like that..!
what do you think? apply a little common sense - not everybody who's ever applied for a library (or whatever) job has worked in a library.

many skills transfer and if you can demonstrate that you have transferable skills or, as you mention, the ability to translate problem-solving skills from your personal life to the workplace, they'll generally be satisfied.

LinZ-E said:
If you can't think of anything great that will relate to the job at hand, well just make something up.
awesome advice - right off the bat start lying to your potential employer!

:\

seriously, if you can't think of something relevant in a work environment, use a problem from your personal life and how you created a solution. it doesn't have to be death-defying - an employer is just looking for skills such as initiative, ability to think differently, resourcefulness and an ability to communicate.

alasdair

And don't forget the basics......

Clean shave (best yet--drop the $10 and have the barber do it that AM)
Neat hair.
Clean/pressed suit (black/charcoal or navy is a good bet also) with a conservative tie.
POLISHED shoes.
Decent looking watch (the last two go hand in hand--the first things people notice on a man is his watch and shoes)

did I miss, or is it just common sense...

...you will be asked what you consider your biggest strength and then they will want you to name one weakness. make sure you come in prepared. i like to say my biggest strength is troubleshooting and my biggest weakness (since i work in science) is when to know to "punt" on an expiriment or project when im not getting data to support my hypothesis

SMILE

people with have to work with you and the public will have to deal with you. Make them know that you're a pleasant person.

Thanks again everyone, you've been a huge help!
The interview is this Thursday and I finally think I'm ready. I've written all of your tips down and I'll be sure to use them :). I hope all goes well!

Oh and one more thing, I'll be sure to dress appropriately and polish my shoes, but I'm a woman so I don't have to worry about shaving or ties! =D

DUH!!!! The 'mrs' should have tipped my off on that one lol. Sorry bout that.

Write down examples of your problem solving skills, how you have excellent communication skills, what makes you a good team player, how you would deal with scenarios that might happen. Sometimes your mind goes blank when you get nervous so writing it down and reading it might help. Good luck!

Update!

Just thought I'd let everyone know, I GOT THE JOB =D =D =D !
Thanks guys, I couldn't have done it without your help and support!

The job interview process is possibly one of the most sickeningly convulsive man-made piece of shit rituals on Earth. The first couple of interviews I went into thinking I could intuitively navigate them just based on my intellect. I skipped the interview workshops they offered at school, a retrospectively stupid decision since they would have really dispelled the idea that the interviewer would recognize how smart I am based on how smart I am.

The unfortunate fact of the matter is they don't give a fuck about you or, really, how smart you are because a keen intellect and insightful mind are not even really that valuable in the general work force. What they want to know is that you can play the game and will fit their criteria. And when you think about it from their perspective, as halfoz points out, they've got a shitload of applicants to wade through so there is an essential dehumanizing function that must take place. You are selling yourself and they are attempting to evaluate the projected value of purchasing you while using limited input.

The problem for someone like me is I have to dumb it down to do well in these fucking interviews and I find it repulsive. Ask me a stupid fucking question like "What is your biggest weakness?" and my first impulse is to give you a stupid fucking answer. I fully understand halfoz's point of view here, but to me he's a rather mindless jerk off and I don't know if I would even want to be employed by that company.

Statistically, these interviews are, I think, less than 50 percent accurate in determining what an applicant's actual value will be as a member of the company (no source, possibly made up). And, of course, the whole thing is highly variable because different companies and recruiters are looking for different things. In general though I find it insulting to my intelligence that I have to pander to some fucking jerk and regurgitate these prefabricated answers to stupid questions. If I was an interviewer, I would be more impressed by an applicant's ability and willingness to break from the mould and answer my questions creatively and with a little style instead of sounding like every other doofus.

Life is hard when you're not born ultrarich.

Last edited:
Benefit said:
A bunch of hilarious shit thats really true

This aint the benefit that i knew and hated for so long. amen yo. i thought you would say some garbage about how playin your position and this and that is just how it is in this world and you gotta suck it up no matter how stupid it is cuz thats just what everyone does in life. yours is the best post in this whole fuckin thread. lmao. thank god there is people out there that maybe understand why and how shit is the way it is, but still dont accept it as the natural order of life.

fuck all that bullshit, its retarded, people act like workin in a business corporation, etc, that type of job, is the end all be all, and it takes so much intelligence and wit and creative thinking and leadership skills. when really all that the majority of these employers value is conformity obedience and the extent they can use and expend you.

people in america are taught that yea, well, theres artists, and movie stars, and musicians, and dancers, and inventors, and people who do what they love, but thats THEM. normal people like YOU cant do shit like that. those are SPECIAL people who dont have to follow the rules. nothing like everyday people like us. it would be stupid to aspire to that, so just stay in your place and become a ad salesperson or manager or vice executive something. everyone knows that in this world you gotta go to college and get a job in a corporation if you wanna be able to afford to live, so dont pay attention to your true inspiration, just follow the rules, play the game, and do what youre told and maybe youll get a promotion or something. it sucks but its life so just accept it and do things the way everyone else before you done them.

and thats a load of horse shit and the sad facts that ppl who are in that environment everyday have brought to this thread are just more proof of how fucked up the whole thing is.....so thanks benefit for givin a more well spoken version of what i wanted to say.

lacey k said:
i thought you would say some garbage about how playin your position and this and that is just how it is in this world and you gotta suck it up no matter how stupid it is cuz thats just what everyone does in life.

Well, there is a lot of truth in that. If you want the cushy job with good benefits, profit-sharing plan, decent salary and 2 weeks vacation, you've got to play the game. Yeah you can make $15-20/hr being a welder, but you've got to melt metal all day and trade jobs aren't for everybody. I'm having a tough time reconciling all this at the moment. It's a very slippery slope.

^^^
welding is actually fun as hell, you should try it

serosly......if no one ever went out and jsut did what they felt like, instead of what they were told, most of the great artists writers musicians inventors, and etc, in this world would just be average suit-wearin joes pluggin away at some crappy job always just dreamin of what they could be.

Goin against the generally accepted path of life for your entire culture aint for everyone, but someone gotta do it.

But what about those of us cube-dwellers who DO feel valued, respected, and capable of providing for ourselves and our families without resorting to menial work to support our "creativity"?

No reason to make those of us who choose to dwell in a cube so that we can provide for our families and our retirement feel like shit about it; we're not all automatons.

Sure, I take orders from people in the most loathed profession on the planet now, but years from now I'll either be giving them, or I'll be peacefully retired with a big fat nest egg. In the meantime, I have weekends off, over a month off a year between holidays, flex time and vacation... and this is on my first year on a new job. Not to mention the benefits, including the possibility of going back to school for free.

Benefit, as you know I have been through this exhaustive process very, very recently. Drop me a PM if you want more information. No reason to dumb yourself down when you can navigate and negotiate.

^I didnt say nothin against doin that if its what you want to do. my problem is with people who do it cuz they been made to believe that theres no other way in life so they just give up and accept it while theyd rather be doin somethin else. if you like what you do then do it, aint no thang.