h-90

Bluelighter
[some one I know] tried the opium extraction and this is what he did:
1) Placed 500g of poppy seeds into a 1.5L container with a lid
2) Poured 500ml of methylated spirits into the container
3) Agitated the mixture for about 10min and let sit for another 20min
4) Opened the cap just enough to let the liquid out and poured it into a bowl
5) Let sit in the bowl until the ethanol evaporated away

He used too much methylated spirits so it took a long time to evaporate away. It took so long that he had to put the bowl ontop of a pot of boiling water to help it evaporate.
A brownish resin was left behind that was sticky. The yield was incredible! 500g which usually makes one serve of poppy tea made enough opium for 4 people being smoked continuously for 2 hours.
A pipe at first was used but the pipe got to hot to handle because the opium took a long time until it smoked up. A much better method was to coat a cigeratte with the tar and smoke it.

The High:
This size of about a match head was put into a pipe and smoke. The smoke tasted like poopyseeds and was harsh. Half way through smoking a rush could be felt similar to when the tea peaks. Felt body tingling or as someone else described "when you get excitement in your tummy :)". After the rush felt euphoria and calmness more than you can ever achieve from drinking tea. A while later and after a few more pipes the cigeratte method was used. By placing the tar on the end of the cigeratte and lighting it up the amount consumed was enormous. A large body rush was felt and started to nod out before the cirgeratte could even be finished. The feeling of content was so great just sat on the chair with a half finishsed cigeratte without a care in the world whist half an hour passed away. After the rush finishes (about +30min) a feeling a heavy body load and just plan not feeling very well followed. This was so bad just had to lie down and sleep it off.

The Methylated Spirits:
The problem of the after feeling from the opium made has rasied issues about using methylated spirits for the extraction. The bottle says "96% ethanol". What is the other 4%? Does it evaporate away or could it be harmful when smoked to cause the bad feeling? or is it just 4% water? I know there are other alkiods in the poppy resin other than Codeine and Morphine that can cause bad symptoms, is it just these other alkaloids that were felt? Or perhaps just too much was smoked without letting the first dose finish. Is there any alchohol I can use other than methylated spirits that doesn't have nasties in it? There was isopropyl alchohol but that costs $8 for 125ml whereas methylated spirts costs $2 for 1L.

Sorry for the bad grammer and spelling, it has never been one of my strong points. Also I didn't write a very discrpitive report on the high because I wanted to dissuss the method more which was brought up in this thread Poppy Seed 'Tea' - Exp - Great relief from new prep. method. If this isn't the right forum for this to be discussed could a moderator please move it.
Thank You :)

substancecode_poppy
substancecode_poppyseed
substancecode_opium
substancecode_opiates

Last edited by a moderator:
When smoking a product that came out of an evaporated solution, you must know that the solvent is evaporating clean. You can do this by simply evaporating it and see what's left behind. You could be smoking motor oil..

What kind of seeds did you use, BTW?

on extracting raw opium from poppies and boiling it then filtering it to get rid of the crud i has similar effects to what you describe. The body load was awful; cigarettes tasted like sick and i eventually threw up. Would isopropyl alcohol be better for that extraction? why not do it the old fashioned way and slit the heads, takes fucking ages though.

peace

methylayted is 97% ethanol and 3% methanol. Methanol is highly poisonous, they chuck it in there so people don't drink it , maybe thats what made you feel ill.

Homeless people filter there methylated spirits through a loaf of bread which is supposed to get ride of some of the methanol.

Last edited:
Unless you can get some nice low-boiling solvent (ie. lab grade dichloromethane or choloroform in a pinch), I'd stick with everclear. Readily available, cheap as borscht, and considerably less toxic should it not completely evaporate. Which incidentally, it should.

I would imagine that even vodka would do in a pinch. Hmmmmm...

StagnantReaction: a 5kg bag bought at a local wholesaler.

Dave: I thought about using spirits but arn't spirits 40% alchohol? that would leave alot of water in the resin at the end. Also is everclear a type of spirits, I havn't heard of it.

I was reading into how opium is made. They just use water and slowley boil it down to a resin. Maybe there is no need to use a solvent.

Last edited:
everclean is like legal moonshine. It's grain alcohol @ 180proof I believe. It's sold in the US and canada I believe

Why not use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol?

If you can't find 99% at the drug store then they should have at least 91%.

Either way, it evaporates much quicker. Also, you can tell if it has evaporated all the way by the odor. Plus it's cheap as hell compared to vodka or something.

"Methylated Spirits" sounds like what they call "Denatured Alcohol" here. It's mostly ethanol with some methanol in it as well. There very well could be other junk in it that will not evaporate cleanly. I would not use that stuff for anything...not even a cleaner.

The body load was most likely from the seeds themselves though, sounds like what happens to me when I drink the tea, but worse.

I'd gel cap the resin and eat it. It would last longer, less body load, nothing to smoke (bad for lungs), and no nasty 'tea' to drink.

Water is a solvent like any other, it just has a higher boiling point than others. The only reason that I would advocate using spirits as a solvent is that since they were intended for human consumption they don't have any other junk in it.

If you were to use everclear or vodka, the residual water would just mean that it would take a little while longer to get a dry product.

ninesky said:
A warning! Do NOT boil any sort of alcohol off on even an electric stove. The steam from the isopropanol sank in this experiment and a fire was luckily put out before it caused any damage.The only thing on your side is the relatively low heat of an alcohol fire.

A kg of seeds in a 3.75L bottle with two liters of 70% isopropyl alcohol was shaken for 10 minutes, let sit for 20 minutes, the liquid boiled down, and a marble sized ball of residue was scraped off. The residue was very sticky, resinous, a dark amber color, and very bitter(alkaloids!). The smoke from a metal hash pipe(similar method to say.. chasing the dragon off of foil) had an unpleasant flavor and produced a scratchy throat.. a smeared cigarette was much more pleasant to smoke. A rice grain sized ball through the hash pipe and a smeared cigarette were smoked in total and a very subtle high was observed(no previous tolerance). Will try again with maybe four or five heavily smeared cigarettes smoked casually with company.

Yeah, heating IPA like that isn't the greatest idea. It has a relatively low boiling point, normally when I want it to evaporate I'll leave it in an open window sill overnight, and it's usually fully evaporated by the morning (happens even faster during the day with an electric fan blowing across the surface).

You might have wanted to shake the seeds a little more, or better yet do 2 or 3 'extractions' with separate batches of IPA to see how much is left over each time. That way it'll be easy to tell how many washes is the most effective.

BTW, is 99% Isopropanol hard to find for everyone else? They have it at the local pharmacy/drug store for really cheap where I live. It's much better to use, it evaporates much quicker and doesn't leave behind any water.

The highest concentration of IPA I've ever seen on store shelves is 91 %...

I blended up 7 poppy pods, and used some everclear I had around for an extraction. Ended up with a very dark green liquid, which i let evap. by a window with a fan, and ended up with some real potent smokable 'goo'.

It smoked good, although I can tell it got some of the plant material.. I might find a way to clean it up more.

My local hardware store sells 99% IPA but it costs $8AUS for 125ml.

The extraction was tried again but this time with water. The water was boiled down on a low heat until it become putty. The body load from the Methylated Spirits batch wasn't experianced so I assume that smoking methylated spirits is bad for you.

lol, i would assume so too. It's a good thing anyone reading this knows.

h-90, you say body load is lower with water than methylated spirits....
are the positive effects just as strong?
i'm trying to figure out the best solvent to use to make a smokable extract.
thanks.

Here's my experience with this kind of thing:

~2KG poppy seeds were put in an empty and washed grapefruit juice container. I then added two bottles of 99% Isopropanol. I don't have a bottle handy - I don't remember how much is in one, but it was enough to cover the seeds. I shook the bottle off and on, here and there for while. The IPA turned a brownish color. I let the bottle sit overnight.

In the morning, I turned the bottle upside-down and opened the lid just enough to let the liquid out but not the seeds. I poured all the liquid in a pyrex baking dish and left it in the window to evaporate.

After most of the IPA had evaporated (roughly 85%), I started boiling a pot of water. I set the baking dish on top of the pot and the IPA quickly evaporated. What was left behind was a very fluid-like 'goo'. I thought perhaps the 1% water was still left in there, so I microwaved the baking dish for a few minutes to try and evaporate the water so it would be more like a resin.

That didn't work, and I couldn't find a way to dry it anymore, so I grabbed some crushed up wild dagga plant material. I mixed it up with the resin, and it made it much easier to handle and store. I didn't use enough dagga to make a difference in the way one would feel if it were to be smoked.

Smoking the resin provided a light euphoric buzz. I'm not a big fan of it, and personally prefer the oral route. I should have put the resin into a few gel caps to save for when I get a headache. I guess I still can, but I'll be swallowing some dagga plant material....

Do the methanol and ethanol extractions yield a more manageable product?

I did about the same thing as Jaw Clenching..

I used 99% IPA and about a kg of seeds - I wound up with a pyrex dish full of an oil, and deposits of dark brown gooey stuff, and some brown powder - I scraped it all together and mixed it up and then had 1g of dark gooey brown oil.

Tried smoking several hits of it and got really no effect outside the light headedness from holding my breath etc..

So then I ate 200mg and then 400mg - 600mg I ate of this stuff in a day and got absolutely no effect at all..

I have no opiate tolerance and no tolerance to any other drugs either - kinda baffled as to why the stuff was ineffective..