• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Grapefruit Juice as a Potentiator

Hard to say but I will state this: When I drink large amounts of GFJ I feel a definite alteration in perceptions and bodily functioning (specifically urinary problems). Perhaps this is just placebo in anticipation of the goodies I am about to consume but it seems quite defined to me. Something I do not experience in anticipation when there is no GFJ consumed.

So I certainly do not discount it altering the 'flavor' of the experience for you. I can say without a doubt there is more going on that a simply lengthened experience. However I can not explain the pharmacodynamics at play.

i feel the same way

I didn't believe any of this until i read in in a medical textbook a few months ago. I just wish that they found a way to pill whatever does this and sell it as a supplement or something, i would rather pop a couple supplements than drink a ton of GFJ....the stuff gives me heartburn and tastes kinda icky...

THey DO!!!!

(more or less) its called Cimetidine, brand name tagamet. ITs not the same chemical at all, but the effect your looking for is the same. Prescription only in Australia, But its not like your gonna be denied by your doctor for essentially something for an uspet stomach/reflux, in my oppinion! and OTC in the states i think

It'd be nice if there was a final word on the matter. I only skimmed this thread, but from the research I've done it seems if it's morphine you're taking, then grapefruit juice is the potentiator (is that even a word?) but if it's codeine you're dosing then grapefruit juice actually inhibits, at least some part, of the conversion to morphine by the liver.

To my knowledge, the above post is correct. So, then, is it CYP34A that metabolizes codeine into morphine?

300mg is a normal recreational dose for non-tolerant...

for those non-tolerant looking to get FUUUCCCKKKED up. Isn't 400 mg the ceiling for codeine dosing? Wouldn't 300 mg codeine be equipotent with 50 mg hydrocodone?

I have an oddly high natural tolerance to opioids, but no acquired tolerance, and 20 mg is my sweet spot for the latter, for light-moderate fx. Then again, I don't particularly enjoy 'nodding', and nausea is a near deal-breaker for me.

ebola

my psychiatrist told me that b/c I reacted so quickly and intensely to celexa (citalopram) and due to my past experience w/ other antidepressants and certain anti-psychotics that my cytochrome enzyme system, specifically the P450 enzyme and the CYP2D6 are probably inactive. Is this possible?

Also, he told me that I won't even feel codeine b/c my body can't "turn water into wine" by making the codeine into morphine (which is what is mostly responsible for the sedative and analgesic effects...or "wine")..

anyways, I guess I can't feel certain drugs to my enzymes being inactive and I can REALLY feel other ones? the whole thing is confusing to me and if anyone has any advice it would be of much help :)

If those specific enzymes that metabolize codeine to morphine are inactive or nonexistent in you, then you won't feel codeine because it needs to metabolize into morhpine or it will not bind to your mu receptors.

However this will not affect any drugs that do not require metabolism by those particular enzymes to become active.

So is there any major difference in "potentiating potential" in different colours of grapefruits of varying degrees of bitterness?

Since the actual inhibitor seems to be the aglycone (i.e. the non-sugar part of the glycosides), a glycoside that has had some of its sugars cleaved off may taste significantly less bitter, but should still work just as well as an inhibitor.

boy can I attest to the dxm burst,

seemed like i had got the wrong bottle till I realised I had gotten gf juice that day - I didnt even think.... stupid me, but wow.. double the fun, twice as long, but scary...

as they say, you dont get to heaven if you're afrad to fly!

Does grapefruit juice work well as an opioid potentiator for eating morphine tablets? (oral)

What about antihistamines?

i dunno about grape fruit juice. ive tried it but the differences in high are easily chocked up to variables like diet, sleep, stress, etc.
one good rule of thumb for all opiates though is the more acidic your system is - the quicker the drug will go through your system, but also it will hit a little harder. whereas the more base your system is, the less peak euphoria you will get but the high will last longer.
eat some tums, drink some orange juice - see what works out. just don't over do it with the basifiers. I suppose the same goes for anything acidic, but you should feel the warning burn before you can eat a harmful amount.
I personally prefer sodium bicarbonate to calcium-based basification.
Also, don't expect some miracle, this is all marginal changes at best.

I have a small amount of these two "drugs":

*Alprazolam
*Codeine

Will they both be intensified by drinking GFJ, or not? Want to get the best out of the little I have left!

I am soooo confused, all these contradicting statements regarding codeine. Yes/no, Yes/no?!?!

Take care ya guys :)

Quick respond appraciated!

I have a small amount of these two "drugs":

*Alprazolam
*Codeine

Will they both be intensified by drinking GFJ, or not? Want to get the best out of the little I have left!

I am soooo confused, all these contradicting statements regarding codeine. Yes/no, Yes/no?!?!

Take care ya guys :)

Quick respond appraciated!

codeine, no. alpraz, yes.

If garepfruit acts as an inducer for the cytochrome p450 enzymes like cyp2d6 to give a better high then what if your already overly sensitive to drugs and you want less high or side effect will using the something that inhibits the CYP2D6 enzyme result in less side effects ?

I know for a fact that ultra metoblisers have adverse effects and so too poor metobolisers, so its only the normal metobolisers (extensive metobolisers) like yourselves who are able to sucessfully use potentiaters but for some who is already sensitive what would an inhibitor do ?

Grapefruit/Tegamet Booster

On my Triazolam(Halcion) perscription bottle it always comes with a sticker that says avoid taking with grapefruit juice.In my personal experience Ketoconazole 200 mg boosts Alprazolam 3-fold and in my Mosby which says the same thing as the PDR,co-administration with cimetidine increases the maxima plasma concentration of Alprazolam by 86%,decreases clearence by 42%,and increases half life by 16%.Under Triazolam interactions coadministation of cimetidine increases the maxima plasma concentration by 51%,decreased clearence by 53% and increased half-life by 36% and coadministartion withgrapefruit juice(doesnt say red or white increases maxima blood plasma25%increased area under the curve by48% and increases half life-by18%.I know the last bit wont do many people any good,because Im the only one I know of who has a Halcion script.$ of those 0.25 and your out like a light even if your wired.For Morphine it says cimetadine in a isolated report when taken together I.V'ed confusion and severe depressionwhen taken by a hemodialysis patient.And it oxycodone is a known inhibitor of P450 2D6 so drugs like soma,hydroxazine HCL,Phenegren should boost it.As far as 300 mg of codiene I was locked up for around 2 months when a kid in my dorm seperated his shoulder and the nurse was giving him codiene#4's (60mg) and I didnt have anything for 2 months so I traded some of my candy and took 7 of them I did not get a buzz what so-ever.And I heard him ask the nurse what they were and she said codiene 4's plus I looked it up when I got out and they were real.Codiene is by far the weakest opiate,well its got a good fight with Darvon for that spot.Ive read a few times a codiene 3 is as effective as 2 aspirins in a controlled study.After 4 months of jail I got released and bought my friends vicoprofin script only 15 qtybut 7.5mg of hydro-codone and ate 10 off the bat and didnt feel anything its like my tolerance never lowers no matter how long im away from opiates,I think 17 years of methadone has done this.Sorry for typin a book