• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

marijuana's possible insufflation

nenarOPI

Bluelighter
"Pharmacokinetics

Cannabinoids can be administered by a variety of routes. Because of their high lipid solubility, topical administration is possible in such locations as the eye or the nasal mucosa. However, this has been of very limited applicability, because preparations of THC available in the past tended to be irritating 25 to the eye. However, newer vehicles that permit lipid-soluble materials to be applied to the eye in aqueous solution may make this route of greater interest again 26. In theory, percutaneous absorption, as from a drug-impregnated skin patch, should be possible, but the absorption would be very slow and not clinically useful."

http://www.parl.gc.ca/37/1/parlbus/commbus/senate/Com-e/ille-e/presentation-e/kalant-e.htm "Pharmacokinetics" section

So, I'm wondering, would a well-made extraction of marijuana (honey oil maybe?) be able to be placed on the mucous membranes to some functional degree? Or would a pharmaceutical grade dose of cannabinoid powder need to be used?

Last edited:
I guess you could try with some high grade hash oil, but be prepared to waste a bit. I think it would mostly run down your throat or something, you'd have to keep it on the membrane for longer than most compounds i would think.

Anyone experienced in this area wish to participate? :)

Get some honey oil, and mix it thoroughly with an moisturising cream; leave it for a day or so (for diffusion), then try putting a bit up your nose and smear it over the mucous membranes. Creams are a semi-solid emulsion of oil in water.The THC will dissolve in the oily fraction, and hopefully be carried across the membrane

Get some honey oil, and mix it thoroughly with an moisturising cream; leave it for a day or so (for diffusion), then try putting a bit up your nose and smear it over the mucous membranes. Creams are a semi-solid emulsion of oil in water.The THC will dissolve in the oily fraction, and hopefully be carried across the membrane

Not that bad of an idea...

I'd say your best bet of cream to use would be just plain ordinary vaseline. It's oil based and won't irritate your nose (I won't guarntee the oil in the vaseline won't be irritating though).

Keep me updated if you ever try that.

i'm sure if you made some cannabutter and put it up your nose it would work, but it doesn't seem like the most pleasant feeling haha. When i've made cannabutter in the past i could definitely feel the effects when there was a lot of butter on my hands, so im sure your mucous mebranes would allow even more into your bloodstream.

the only reason i could see anyone wanting to do this is if they can't smoke but even then i'd suggest just eating it as sticking greasy shit up my nose doesnt sound like a fun way to get high =D

My friend who was slinging for a while got a keef box and collected a lot of keef over a long period of time... he found doing a line of keef can get you quite high, without the conspicuous smoke... he'd travel on a bus or a train, or be in a public bathroom and just duck into a stall and do a line... presto stonedo

Yeah, I've definatly heard positive reports from people snorting keif.

People snort keif. Give it a try.

uneducated middle school kids snort kif....

BilZ0r said:
Yeah, I've definatly heard positive reports from people snorting keif.

wrong... thc is not water soluble... its useless to snort kif... im positive... go ask this kind of question at www.overgrow.com and you will get laughed at... not to be rude but i dotn want false info being spread.... THC IS NOT WATER SOLUBLE! ... peace

Things don't need to be water soluble in order to be insufflated. The 2nd sentance in the original post highlights that fact. The most obvious example of lipophilic and relatively hydrophobic drugs with good nasal bioavailability are opioids. Furthermore, if you require a slightly more scientific response, there are many articles which show that lipophilic chemicals are rapidly absorbed from the nasal mucosa, such as this one, which found, from measure drug concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) after delivering the drug to the nasal cavity "the drug concentrations in the CSF increased with increasing the lipophilicity of the drugs ".

There are others too, such as this, this or this.

*ahem*

I also was under the impression that things needed to be water-soluble to be active when snorted, turned out I was wrong. Here's some posts in which people reported activity from snorting kief: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?postid=1522998#post1522998
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?postid=1525422#post1525422
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?postid=1526611#post1526611

NoRtYbYN8uRe said:
go ask this kind of question at www.overgrow.com and you will get laughed at...

Yeah, you probably will. Watch out for your "karma" going down if you post something on overgrow..

Yeah but its such an incrediable waste.

Im sure u could get stoned by rolling around in a bathtub full of good buds- but it wouldnt be worth it.

I also agree it would be a waste.

The idea that things need to be water soluble to be snorted is an odd myth that a lot of people think is true. I assume it came from the fact that people snort cocaine HCl, but smoke the free base. In that example, its simpley that you can't smoke the salt. But I've heard reports of people snorting cocaine freebase and getting fine effects.

If you snort kief be prepared for severe allergies, sneezing, itchy eyes, itchy runny nose, etc.

No I haven't tried this, but I never would because I am allergic to cannabis pollen. Like the article above said, topical solutions tended to irritate people's eyes.

Interesting stuff. It all comes down to efficiency and ease of use though I guess. Smoking is easy as hell, pretty efficient..THCs in the bloodstream nearly immediately.