• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Information for BL Pamplet - PLEASE read & add to!

madmonkey

Bluelighter
OKay here goes!
In Haste's last major thread discussing the issues involved with setting up a Bluelight stall at raves the issue of having a pamphlet was raised many times! With all the interest that was shown the idea to start up a thread to discuss/add information for this pamphlet was agreed to!
SO FOLKS HERE IT IS!
For a background on what has already been discussed refer to the last thread:
http://www.bluelight.ru/ubb/Forum10/HTML/002585.html?reload=74
This thread is primarily set up for EVERYBODY to add their own little part to the pamphlet, with information regarding everything to do with E's, their effect, safety issues, etc, etc. Again read Haste's thread for more information.
Nuf said.............let the people be heard!

Perhaps we should emphasize the fact that in Australia only a small proportion of pills sold as ecstacy are the real thing. This would follow on to info about E-testers and the dangers of taking anything that doesn't turn black.
I think it might be an idea to keep it fairly succint and that maybe we wouldn't include info about ecstacy's history and origins eg. "Sometimes just referred to as E or X, it was first patented by a German drug company in 1913 as an appetite suppressant. It became popular with the Acid House dance culture of the 80's in the UK." (source :ravesafe).

Agree with jb here, but i think we should say like XSI11V suggested, that in Australia many pills contain amphetamine like substances, and a pill containing MDxx is less likely in Australia than in other countries across the world. (look at UK/America, they barely have any orange testing pills as opposed to us.) It may also be good to lead on from that point and say what may be contained in them if its not MDxx and touch on PMA and the suspected deaths its caused etc. ?
Also one thing i really wanna include is clearing up the chance of a pill containing cocaine, heroin, or any other weirdo stuff like that, cocaine has been in very very few pills ever made and is not orally active in that amount etc. i dont want another person coming up to me saying this is a cokey pill! also we could clear up the effects of MDxx and amphetamines so that people dont say smacky and think there it is heroin, simply its a lot of MDxx and im on my arse smacked out loving it. Is it worth mentioning that majority of pills are one substance only and are not concoctions of many different drugs such as a speed pill with some MDxx?
[This message has been edited by Cowboy Mac (edited 10 October 2000).]

MDMA WAS NEVER MARKETED AS AN APPETITE SUPPRESSANT OR ANYTHING ELSE!
how many times do we have to debunk that myth. it was one of many amphetamines patented by Merck at the time but no use for it was ever suggested.
thank you, drive thru...

oh btw, when i was talking about concentrating on MDMA i guess i really meant "XTC", ie any pill you buy by that name. of course we will talk about the other substances that go into locals and imports (oz does not have the monopoly on speed bakes)
what i meant was lets not try and make pamphlets for GHB, Special K, Cocaine etc... let's just stay focused on XTC for the moment...

If these are to be handed out at events, may I suggest something big and easy to read/spot on the front/back saying something to the effect of "If you can't read this now, take it home! You need to read it!"
For those with eye wobbles
smile.gif

Some of what's in the 'everyone read' thread would make good material.... in a condensed form of course.

i think the ravesafe pamphlet is the most suitable, with abit of editing here and there.
plus an explaination of how the testers work, and wat color indicates wat substance etc.
plus the bluelight url thrown in here and there where it catches even the mos wobbly eyes.
headlines on the pamphlets?
HAVE YOU BEEN RIPPED OFF? ARE YOU GETTING WHAT YOU PAID FOR? ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING!
or
ARE YOU TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF WHILE HAVING FUN?
or
E - DO YOU KNOW EVERYTHING YOU SHOULD KNOW?
>'.'<
------------------
~littleHKlaserTriPPeR~

tranquilo: i thought it was used by the army as an attempt at a truth syrum?
i think we really should write our own, or rewrite our own information for this rather than taking something from dancesafe and editing it. only because i think it would be better in the long run. when i sit down and think i might have a go at collating various sources and sifting through what we really need.

Well done everyone for getting into the creative process!!!
Just remember no matter we put into our pamphlets we need to be able to back up with proven sceintific evidence/research. This is solid material we can be held accountable for.
Keep up the good work!!!!!!
smile.gif

------------------
Careful with that axe Eugene....

one point I would like to see emphasised is that - CHEAP PILLS ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE CRAP - this is the one thing that the ppl i meet never seem to understand.
and i think a good way of making ppl understand is to get them on the net, on pillreports, and to JB's pill-pictures threads ESPECIALLY !! if ppl can learn to judge their pills more by press and quality it's a start. one way of encouraging this might be to print - "come see pics of your favourite pills on the net, and see if you've had the real deal."
once ppl come here, the interest might stick around.
u can't sum up bluelight in one pamphlet, not all that i have learnt anyway. so getting them to BL is a big priority IMHO.

this isnt indended to be a flame fat tony but:
the press of pills is subjective, the small farraris in melb were one of the shittest presses ive seen and were mdxx pills, and gnome ravers mitsis in jbs pics thread look shitty too, to encourage judging by press is not as good as to encourage judging by a test.
to encourage people to visit the-peak and other places such as pill reports would have to be worded in a more harm reducive way than come see if your favorites are on the web. and i dont think the pamphlet is to summarize bluelight, its to simply dispell some myths, educate the readers in some basic knowledge so they dont harm themselves, and then if theyre still keen they can see bluelight, people are more often too lazy to sort through bluelight for some simple facts theyre after.

cowboymac - point taken. i realise there are exceptions to what i said. the thing is i was putting myself in the shoes of my raver friends and acquaintances... and imagining what might attract their interest.
i was going on the idea that ppl like to see pictures more than they like to read. testing is obviously the best way to judge a pill but have you tried to convince ppl (raver kids) that they should spend $50 on a tester? i have, most of them laugh. so getting them to bluelight is another way. and once they are here, they might stick around and read a bit....
and yeah maybe not "come see your favorites", but something along the lines of "see pics of your pills on the net, and hear what others have to say about them."
aaaaanyway... here's some stuff i cut from niiiiiiice post's by liquidocean, deep and pinger, from the EVERYBODY READ thread. i have deleted some bits i thought were too lengthy, added bits of my own... but just cut out the good stuff that i thought might b addressed in our pamphlet... just thought it might help.
personally i think deep's post just about says it all, except about testing, and i realise we can't include pre/postloading stuff...
and i haven't got nething about pilltesting here coz it wasn't in that thread.. but i havent forgotten it...
1. Ecstasy is the street name for the drug 3, 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine. Typical MDMA content of a good pill is 80-120 mgs. About 60-80% of drugs sold as ecstasy actually contain MDMA.
Basically, MDMA acts as an acute anti-depressant, flooding your synapses with serotonin, the neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of happiness and contentment.
Pure MDMA use can be very neurotoxic. What is sold as 'ecstasy' can be anything. A healthy, balanced attitude of moderation is necessary if you wish to maximize your experience and to prevent long-term neurological damage.
Ecstasy is a generic name for pills and does not reflect their content. The content of a pill varies not only from brand to brand [i.e. Mitsubishi and Rolexes are different] but also within brands [between batches, i.e from Mitsubishi to Mitsubishi]. So buying one E is no guarantee that it will be the same as another E you had. The contents could be completely different.
TOP MYTHS OF MDMA
1. Ecstasy contains heroin or cocaine.
It is not cost-effective to use heroin or cocaine in ecstasy (and cocaine is not orally active in the amounts present in an average size pill, (inserted by FT)). It is most likely an entirely different chemical, or your particular body chemistry that is making you feel 'speedy' or 'smacky'.
2. Ecstasy use drains your spinal fluid.
A science journal published an experiment where the spinal fluid of subjects was taken for experimental study. The lower levels of spinal fluid were from the extraction, not the MDMA use.
5. Ecstasy is a 'mixture' of chemicals.
Street ecstasy can be a mixture of anything. If you don't know your source, you may not know what you are getting. Real ecstasy, however, contains 1 chemical compound - 3, 4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, 120 milligrams of it.
DRUGS COMMONLY SOLD AS MDMA
DXM - dextromethorphan, the active dissociative drug (also cough suppressant) in Robitussin. Very DANGEROUS to mix with MDMA, has led to one confirmed death and many bad trips.
4-MTA - "flatliners" 4-MethylThioAmphetamine - Potent 5HT (serotonin) releaser and MAO inhibitor sold as ecstasy, responsible for 3 deaths in Europe.
PMA - paramethoxyamphetamine, deadly amphetamine sold as ecstasy
Caffeine - active ingredient in coffee
DOB - bromo-STP.
Methyl Salicylate - Oil of Wintergreen
Speed, amphetamine
Ketamine, a veterinary anaesthetic
Ephedrine / Pseudoephedrine - Ma Huang, Sudafed, trucker's speed, Mini-thins
GHB, gammahydroxybutrate, 'liquid ecstasy' - chemical composition / neurological effect is nothing like MDMA, this is just a marketing ploy.
NOTE – substances not common in Aust could b left off… 4mta, oil of winter.. etc. FT =)
if anyone is searching for real scientific date on MDMA the first place (but not the last) you should look is http://www.maps.org
from this site is this excellent article detailing the lack of data about MDMA neurotoxicity. http://www.maps.org/news-letters/v09n3/09304dob.html
NUTRITION
MDMA suppresses your appetite while increasing your level of activity. The appetite suppression carries on 8-12 hours after taking MDMA. This means that you are burning up your body's reserve energy when you are dancing and not eating. When the body's reserves are gone, you then begin burning muscle tissue, this, unlikely as it is, is bad.
The bottom line is that you must try to eat correctly before, and after MDMA. This is complicated by the fact that MDMA slows down the movement of your bowels, making it harder to digest food.
Before An Experience Eat fruits, vegetables and starches. Bananas and pineapple are especially good for you. Taking your vitamins (C, E and multis) is also a good idea in the few days before and after an experience (added by FT). Avoid oils and heavy proteins, especially if you are prone to nausea.
After The Experience Eat fruits, vegetables and starches. Avoid oils and heavy proteins and eat several small meals rather than trying to eat a few large ones. Remember you won't FEEL hungry but your body needs the nourishment.
BEWARE - If ecstasy is unusually cheap there may be something wrong with it. It may be too weak, cut with something undesirable or not even be ecstasy at all.
BEWARE - Do not accept ecstasy in gel caps from people you do not trust. Anyone can pop open a gel cap, and add ANYTHING in or take anything out.
BEWARE - People make clone batches. If a tablet of ecstasy with a chicken symbol on it you tried two weeks ago was good, it does not mean the one with a chicken on it you see this time will be from the same batch.
so there's ya go peeps
tony
smile.gif

------------------
if the journey's fun, it's well worth taking.
[This message has been edited by fat tony (edited 10 October 2000).]

fat tony: yea i agree with most of what you have said there, which state are you in? in melbourne testers from http://www.the-peak.com.au are only $20 or $25 and i think many people will realise the importance of these after they are educated. and it could be me but e and raving isnt a lifestyle for the poor, most people i think would shell out the money if they were unhappy with what they were getting out of their randomly purchased pills.

Brieftly state the long and short term effects of MDMA? (tho' long term effect is HIGHLY debatable i guess)
Mebbe include websites such as
Erwoid.com or Ecstacy.org and other reputable websites that could provide additional info.
And of course, BL..
Would anyone be able to get permission from the webmasters of the various websites?

Also, perhaps include something like:
"MDMA Effects by Erowid"
Onset 20-90 minutes
Coming Up 5-20 minutes
Plateau 2-3 hours
Coming Down 1-2 hours
After Effects 3-24 hours
Some people are considerably more sensitive to MDMA than others. Be careful if you are using MDMA for the first time or using material of an unknown purity and strength.
POSITIVE
  • extreme mood lift
  • increased willingness to communicate
  • increase in energy (stimulation)
  • ego softening
  • feelings of comfort, belonging, and closeness to others
  • feelings of love and empathy
  • forgiveness
  • increased awareness & appreciation of music
  • increased awareness of senses. (eating, drinking, smell)
  • profound life-changing spiritual experiences
  • neurotically based fear dissolution
  • sensations bright and intense
  • urge to hug and kiss people
NEUTRAL
  • visual distortion
  • appetite loss
  • rapid, involuntary eye jiggling (nystagmus)
  • restlessness, nervousness, shivering
  • change in body temperature regulation
NEGATIVE
  • inappropriate and/or unintended emotional bonding
  • tendency to say things you might feel uncomfortable about later
  • mild to extreme jaw clenching (trisma), tongue and cheek chewing, and teeth grinding (bruxia)
  • muscle tension
  • increase in body temperature, hyperthermia, dehydration (drink water)
  • hyponatremia (don't drink too much water)
  • nausea and vomiting
  • headaches, dizziness, and vertigo (general with high doses or frequent use)
  • post-trip Crash - unpleasantly harsh comedown from the peak effect
  • hangover the next day, lasting days to weeks
  • mild depression and fatigue for up to a week
  • severe depression and/or fatigue (uncommon)
  • possible neurotoxicity (controversial)
  • possible strong urge to repeat the experience, though not physically addictive
BigTrancer
smile.gif

------------------
I don't want to sound paranoid, but just consider how much of what you're writing could help send you to Jail.
[This message has been edited by BigTrancer (edited 10 October 2000).]

Okay guys just a quick one! hahahahaha
What does everyone want the look and feel of the printed material to reflect? Should the material look like a flyer for a rave/club or should it look more corporate and plain?
There are pro's and con's to each (i'm not trying to add to the complexity of producing this material by the way!). If the pamphlet has more of an 'out-there' look & feel then possibly more people will be enticed into reading what is inside! Though the credibily/professionalism factor is lessened!
Aside from the content, what does everybody think the feel should be? I can see from previous posts that we have a pool of creative people involved with this now and everyone (in design terms) will approach this differently and end up with different designs.
As well as having informative, relevant information inside it would be good to capture and enhance the best possible look for the stuff we are producing!
One other issue, which may not be able to be answered straight away, is how big will this thing be? Realistically, due to the need to utilise contacts within BL to get this stuff produced, I don't think we will be able to produce anything more than a 4 page A5 sized (half of an A4 page) pamphlet full colour!
Again let me know your thoughts on this one too!
Well done on everybody enthusiasm.......!

madmonkey this is a tough one - as both styles have their avantages (which you mentioned). I reckon we'll need to find a happy medium and in some way accomodate both. How do we achieve this? somewhere on the pamphlet there could be an attractive graphic (eg. the bluelight logo done in 3D) which would catch the attention of many peakin punters; whilst the rest of the job could have a clean authoritive almost medical feel to it.
We're going to gain instant respectability to an extent with professional looking material and will be less likely to be questioned - which is important as everything we mention we'll be accountable for, so it will have to be backed up by scientific facts as someone previously mentioned.
[This message has been edited by XSI11V (edited 10 October 2000).]

I think size needs to be kept to a minimum. For financial reasons; to increase the likelihood that people will read all the info and not get halfway and think "too much, too much"; and to increase the likelihood that people will take it home... hence re-reading (whilst sober), and possibly showing friends and relatives.
As for graphics, I think it really needs to be eye-catching to appeal to Mr Average Ecstasy User. I'm thinking that people that are interested in a more proffesh job are already more inclined to be knowledgable.
However there must be a balance between eye-catching and not detracting from the info.
There are many big ass generalisations in this post, but when we're giving this pamphlet out to such a broad classification of people, it's going to be tuff to cater for all.
------
Ahh XSI11V, I like that idea. Eye-catching logo, then bursting with easy to read info inside
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by entropope (edited 10 October 2000).]

I agree entropope - info must be kept as concise as possible. We're looking to educate people who probably simply couldn't be bothered reading a lot of info, but also it's no use bowling them over with a shitload of new info as they're not likely to remember much of it (especially in their state). Many of them will read the pamplet and throw it out afterwards to prevent parents coming accross it. This is where i think business cards for the wallet would come in.
[This message has been edited by XSI11V (edited 10 October 2000).]