Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Beer - The definitive guide to your preferences

GillyWin

Bluelighter
Perhaps Unsquare would like the beer arguement in its own thread .. so here it is.

The questions to be answered ...

- What is your beer of preference?
- What effects your choice?
- money?
- weather?
- time of day?
- time of year?
- your location?

There is more to beer than going to the bottle-o and buying it IMO.

If i'm out i will drink either becks or stella of tap (usually pints) or if i'm in the right mood i might go for a pint/middy of Beez Neez.

Stella > Becks > CarlsBerg > Heineken > Beez Neez

At home and given the money situation I would usually drink lower range beers.

TED > Carlton Cold > Carlton Premium> XXXX Lager> VB > EB

If i'm at the beach its usually carlton colds.

Jeebus i'm trying to not drink and now i'm friggen dying for a beer.

- What is your beer of preference? Carlton Draught on tap
- What effects your choice? Price, taste, vb is shit, carlton draught is cheap and good. OH and peer pressure, all my friends drink it and my local promotes it.

- weather?
Generally if it's heaps cold I'll drink something other than beer, if it's too hot I drink pots, because you can finish it faster and it doesn't get all warm and horrid.

- time of day?

Anytime after twelve suits me fine.

- time of year?
now...

- your location?

Melbourne

mmm

if i'm out i'll normally drink bottled beer....as i would obviuosly at home, given we don't have beer on tap at home...

normally corona [i know it's a shit beer but i'm a girl and i like wussy beers]
boags

empire if i'm pov

or beezneez

or nastro azzuro

but once i'm drunk I'll drink anything people are either prepared to buy or give me
:D

I want a beer...

Although I do not have a beer of choice as such there are certainly those I will drink and those I will not.
Generally if i'm goin' to go out i'll go halves in a carton with someone, meaning a decision will have to be made that caters to both our tastes.
I'm not really one to spend over $40 a carton, so that rather limits my choice.
I'll normally go for something simple and refreshing like TED's, although if I had my own way I'd probably drink a lot more EMPIRE.
Despite the fact that it's target audience seems to be young women, I find EMPIRE to be a full flavoured beer without the shite, unlike EB which I quite often find myself drinking as this is the choice of most of my [derro] mates.
If i'm out and about, and thus limited to whatever is on tap, i'll normally drink CARLTON DRAUGHT or, if i'm looking for something a little different, KILKENNY.
I find most beers on tap to be lot better than their bottled variety and as such am pretty content with whatever is cheap and decent (I.E. No VB, no GUINESS).
Other than cash flow and limited variety there are few other variables that effect my choice of beer, although special occasions, such as Christmas, tend to result in a more expensive choice of beer, such as CROWNIES.
Gillywin is right, all this talk makes me want a nice, cold, refreshing beer... mmm, time to go to the bottle-o.
=D
PEACE

Can someone add a poll .. after reading this thread do you have a craving for a crisp cold beer.

*note to self .. stop reading this thread

in winter when I can find it : Beamish Red, it's a thick heavy beer and is red in colour

summer: Pils, Extra Dry, Fosters, XXXX Gold (it actually tastes nice), Crownies (but I think crownies kinda have that cheap taste still)

lights: cascade premium light or sterling

price does'nt normally effect my purchases, but I tend to find irony in paying more money for something that's just going to be pissed down the drain.

I also seem to want to drink more in winter for some reason

Beer of choice is always Coopers Pale Ale. If a pub has Coopers Pale on tap, then I am not likely to leave it anytime soon :)

Other than that if they don't have Coopers Pale or Coopers Sparkling, and I'm not feeling particularly povo, then I'll have me a becks or sometimes a boags.

If I am feeling more povo then I will drink Carlton Draught or sometimes Tooheys New... I will never drink VB unless it is the only thing there, or I am already 7-8 beers down the track :)

If I am buying a case for home or for going to a party once again I'll go for the Coopers, unless I'm povo... then I'll buy TED's, Coldies or sometimes New.

I'm always up for trying a new beer that I've never had before though. I am a beer adventurist if not a connesiour ;)

CB :)

Chaos Butterfly said:

I'm always up for trying a new beer that I've never had before though. I am a beer adventurist if not a connesiour ;)
Word.

You may want to check out this site - www.internationalbeershop.com.au

It is possibly the greatest shop of all time. I am a massive fan of imported European beers and this shop just has them all. Not sure what my favourite is yet, but I have tried Pilsner Urquel, Amstel, Carlsberg and some other rare European beers. Once you have imported beer you can never go back... ;)

All Round Beer -
Carlton Cold. Love this beer. It brings up faded memories of Australia Day's, beach parties and fun. It is crisp, refreshing and never gives me a hangover. This is my beer of choice 90% of the time.

Pub -
Usually a pint of Heineken goes a long way, but if that isnt working for me I will either go with Stella or Carlton Draught depending on cash situation.

Extra Special Beer -
Harp
Harp is a beer I have only found once since coming back from a trip to Ireland. Brewed up by the Guinness crew it is delicious. Admittedly I havent looked much for it but it is crisp, peppery and siper refreshing.

Over in Ireland this was THE drink.

Overall Winner - Carlton Cold.

Damn I want one now...

lol, ahhh beer. My one true friend that will never leave me.

I drink Carlton Draught on tap if they have it, if not New ... they always have it.

After reading this thread i think i would let you lot in on the game we play at uni.
There are 6 of us and we all love our beer, so when its your turn to buy the jugs you go up and you mix 2/3 beers into each one. What ever you want ... no rules ... but we normally try to keep it sensible.

We then come back, and say ... right what do you think.

We are starting to get better at our beers recognising the after-taste of new and the green tinge of VB. And it is quite entertaining. The biggest mix we have had trouble guessing is Carton Draght / VB ... 50/50. Try it some time and sit there smuggly if people have trouble and get pissed off if they get it early.

The answer is only told after all the beer is finished and NO CLUES.

It provides hours of entertainment and embarress you when you think VB is some imported beer from belgium.

(Idea Inspired by recent and a "bit later than recent" mix we once received) [though has probably been done before like all things we come up with when drunk]

GillyWin said:
- What is your beer of preference?
- What effects your choice?
- money?
- weather?
- time of day?
- time of year?
- your location?

There is more to beer than going to the bottle-o and buying it IMO.

Money usually sways my choice. If I can afford a premium beer, I'll buy a slab of the shit and drink it
Premium beers according to moe:
1. Boags Premium (*drools)
2. Coopers Pale Ale (this isnt _really_ a premium beer, is it?)
3. Coopers Sparkling (too yeasty to knock back quickly)
4. Asahi Dry (or whatever the fuck its called)

When I go out on a pissup, I tend to stick to draught or Coopers pale, I must say.

Regular Beer
1. Carlton Draught
2. VB (ergh)
everything else
902109871350970. Tooheys Pils
902109871350971. Tooheys Anything

Tooheys seriously make the most filthy foul beer known to man. No questions.

This post will probably be mended at a later date

What a lot of people in Australia haven't tried, but is a really decent drop, is the dutch (damn they make good beer) 'Amstel'
yummy yum yum yummmmm

Not a fan of Amstel at all, although it is $31 a carton, which does increase the appeal a little.
=D
I find it has a bit too much of a yeasty aftertaste (although some people may argue that's what true beer is all about), somewhat tastes unfinished.
I once heard it described as 'a cheap tasting crownie substitute' or something to that effect.
Meh.
PEACE

Chaos Butterfly said:

Word again!

I love beer, anytime after 10am is good. I will drink any beer at all. Altho some I will only drink if free eg. VB

For drinking at home its home brew all the way.
Brigalow Premium Bitter Kit + Brewiser brew booster + approx. 300g of Lactose + some cascade hops. Let it mature for 1 month minimum and you got yourself a fucking awesome beer :D

When I'm out its Nastro Azzuro for sure, very tastey stuff. At a mates place the standard is probably TEDs but like mentioned above I like trying new stuff and I've been doing a lot of that lately. Tried that Beez Neez the other day. Didn't really rate it. But I was bent at the time which kinda affects my taste buds I think.

If I'm somewhere that has guiness on tap, sign me up for a pint or 5! I LOVE GUINESS!!! Liquid food. I'm not really into the old irish pub seen anymore tho.

Ah the Cheap Imported beers.

Amstel
Oranjeboon(sp?)
Haagen

They are the only ones I can think of right now, but they all rock.

I for one cannot even drink EB. I would prefer to stay sober than force a middy of that down my throat.

When I was in Amsterdam you could visit the Heineken factory. It was grande.
For a small fee you took a tour through the place, then they sit you down in this big room with tables full of beer and you drink and drink and drink.

Just another great thing about the 'Dam.

This may be the cause of a brain fart but I am unsure what TED is LOL

Could someone please tell me?

My normal beer that is always stocked in the fridge is Tooheys Extra dry, it is soo much nicer than the rest of the cheap stuff, and often its only a $3-4 more than VB or New.

At the pub on tap, I'll take a Stella, but only if its a classy pub, where the Stella is poured quite regularly, otherwise it spends way too long in the beer lines and tastes like crap. Failing that, a Becks is fantastic anytime of the year, especially after a day at the beach. I've noticed that Stella out of the bottle tastes like crap.

If you see it cheap enough, get a case of Bavaria beer, its the poor mans Becks (usually less than $30 a case)