• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Grapefruit Juice w/ Methadone....does it potentiate?

Not sure if it does potent other oral opiates. In theory it should, but the many times I tried to do so there were no increased effects of the opiods/opiates. A placebo if anything. So unless you have first hand experience with this don't be so quick to assume its correct.

Hmm...i seem to remember trying it back in the day when my tolerance was low enough to use opiates orally. Grapefruit juice potentiates benzodiazapines and opiates...among other pharmaceuticals. Does it work for methadone, now that is the question. :|

I have tried it and it never seemed to work well. Why not just take some cimetidine?

No!

Negro,I am flabbergasted!Any citric juice does the opposite with methadone.It depletes the bodys reserves [eats through the dose].Never drink any citrus juice with methadone.

potentiating methadone...

Another prevalent myth is that one can somehow potentiate methadone by combining it with benzos.Wrong,again it acts in the opposite fashion.you will get more of a nod for the first few hours but in the end it will "eat through your dose."

The one proven way to potentiate it is to consume the closest [in terms of structure] substance.Take Darvon...I know it sounds weak but its proven and more importantly its safe [in reasonable doses].

so drinking grapefruit juice this morning ate through my dose? Also negro...what is this substance you speak of that will potentiate it?:X

Cimetidine=Tagamet----a med used to treat acid reflux.

Negro,I am flabbergasted!Any citric juice does the opposite with methadone.It depletes the bodys reserves [eats through the dose].Never drink any citrus juice with methadone.

I know, vitamin C seems to make methadone not work nearly as well as it should, that why i dont take multi-vitamins or citrus juices. I tried grapefruit juice once, honestly i wasnt really experimenting, it was all that was in my fridge, because it was either that or beer (which also makes methadone work poorly). I definately try to stay from citrus drinks and vitamin C.

But i do find that a little food (non-greasy), mainly simple/complex carbohydrates, help the methadone kick in a little faster/stronger.

But yes, it does seem stupid that i drank grapefruit juice with my methadone, but it was either that or beer (i didnt want to drink the nasty heavily chlorinated tap water i get in my apartment). I didnt go into withdrawal or anything, but i definately didnt help. But i really didnt mean to take grapefruit juice with the methadone, it was sort of a fluke.

Bottom line, dont take citrus drinks or vitamin C with methadone........

Cimetidine seems to possibly work, depending on who you talk to, i dont really feel it does much other than possibly increase the duration. But i dont take anything with my methadone aside from a little food, and BOTTLED water......

so i suppose that orange juice stuff thats mixed with my daily meth serving is not citric containing? unless for some oddball reason it is purposely mixed with it.. i dunno

is tagamet otc or only by perscription?

no way jose...

That orange crap in your cup at the clinic is sugar and food coloring.Its a soft drink concentrate akin to Kool-Aid but much nastier.Unless of course you get orange Diskettes in which case that orange crap is the good shit.

Negro:Nope,you wont go into instant detox but it just will not hold you as long.I still drink citrus but I am a maniac anyway [banking].I did hear that the ulcer medication does in fact work but I still say that the surest bet is Darvon or Darvocet.

x0r, tagamet is otc in the states and can be had for much cheaper under the generic name, cimetidine.

most stuff that is suppose to "potentiate" hardly ever feels like it does a damn thing. the only thing i can really vouch for is cimetidine (an acid reducer), which really only made my high last slightly longer. other than that, your best way to get higher is to up your dose. potentiators are such a waste of time.

For me, tagamet seems to make my buzz last longer. It also seems to make it a lot "noddier". Try it out for yourself. Some people swear that grapefruit potentiates opiates big time, but I'm sure it works differently with different types of opiates.

is tagamet OTC or prescription? and in my experience, with my relatively low opiate tolerance, grapefruit juice is a good potentiator. maybe with peeps with high tolerance it isn't so great.

atrain said:
x0r, tagamet is otc in the states and can be had for much cheaper under the generic name, cimetidine.

at least read the thread before asking the question...

I don't mean to bump an old post but does rachamim have a source that says citric juices "eat through" methadone? I've only found sources that say it potentiates methadone through cytochrome inhibition

Sure...

Just give me a few minutes to dig them out. It is actually pretty much common knowledge but I will do it for you since you asked kindly.