Bluelight

Thread: poppy seed tea question

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    poppy seed tea question 
    OK I'm going to get poppy seeds tomorrow but I just want to know if there is a certain type of seed I should get or will they all do the same job?

Thanks

2. Collapse Details

you'll never know until you try the seeds. from what i've heard, the morphine you get from the seeds is because of residue on the outside of the seed, and they generally wash the seeds before they sell them. again, from what i've heard, search for seeds that have little bits of pod mixed in with them, these probably weren't washed so good and might have more morphine residue. so, usually what i do is buy a pound of seeds (about 500 grams) and just let those soak for an hour or two, stirring em good, and then just down the resulting tea. check the trip reports forum, there are a few threads there about it, particulary this one dude who gets great results from poppy seed tea, his reports are very informative

3. Collapse Details

For research I've seen reported, it doesn't really matter if you soak the seeds for very long, most of the morphine comes off within half an hour.

But yeah, look for unwashed ones, or organic ones, or anything which might make you think they are less scrupulously washed.

Oh yeah, and make sure they're cheap, because you're going to need a fucking lot of them.

4. Collapse Details

Haha. yeah. Enough to make 100's of muffins, probably.

I'm suprised regular markets would even sell them in amounts that large. I could see a restaurant supply place doing that... but why would the average person need a 0.5-1 Kg of poppy seeds? Sounds really fucked up to me.

5. Collapse Details

I would scrap the seeds and just buy some dried pods, most florists will have them. just say you're making potperi(sp) or making a flower arrangement.

6. Collapse Details

dr. McBudstoke, more information please!!!

7. Collapse Details

Originally posted by Dr. McBudstoke
    I would scrap the seeds and just buy some dried pods, most florists will have them. just say you're making potperi(sp) or making a flower arrangement.
    In the U.S. most florists don't sell poppy pods anymore. Maybe they used to but none of them do anymore (at least not in the midwest).

8. Collapse Details

There are poppy farms in the US that grow a variety bred to have very, very low levels of narcotic in them for ornamental use. This is not to say that peopel arent growing normal ones or anything. Ive never seen poppies of any sort at a florist.

I know peopel still import them from Canada, which in turn imports them from afghanistan, pakistan and the like.

9. Collapse Details

Originally posted by Dr. McBudstoke
    Can you do this in the UK? How many would you need?

10. Collapse Details

There are some reports on erowid about making tea from dried pods. The dosages jive with my experiences as well. I would suggest looking there.

There might be something in the trip reports here, as well.

11. Collapse Details

Check this out:

http://opium.poppies.org/index.php?a...&CODE=01&CID=5

It is what you allways wanted to know about poppy tea, but were afraid to ask.

And there are some rumors about online poppy pod sellers. So a google search might turn something up.
    For ornamental uses only of cause.

Anyway. The doctor is right. Skip the seeds and get some pods. Wait! Don't skip those seeds, keep them and sow them. Whith a little bit of luck you will have all the pods you'll ever need.
    It is easy:
    Find some virgin land, that is without any vegetation, that was turned over recently. The sides of newly build roads are excellent. Sow your seeds from october till march (also depends on your climate). Wait till june......

And if you are lucky you will see this:

Pics used with permission of Fogle of poppies.org.

All these poppies were grown from poppy seeds.

12. Collapse Details

no shit? poppies grown from poppy seeds?

13. Collapse Details

Glad you have learned something new!

14. Collapse Details
    Save yourself from disappointment... 
    Bluelighter
    Poppy seeds DO NOT contain any alkaloids.There is a tiny bit on the outside of a tiny amount but that will not do anything but give you a positive on a urine analysis...If you want to make tea but do not have your own supply of poppies do not despair.Try any wholesale florist and inquire about dried poppies [they are one of the most common dried botanicals in floral arrangements].Once you purchase your own just cut about 2 inches below the pod and discard the straw.The straw does have a trifling amount of alkaloids but not enough to be concerned with when preparing "tea."Run the pods thorough a coffee or spice grinder until you have a powder consitency and voila...

An important note [well actually two but whos counting...]If you live outside of an area where you can easily find a wholesale florist just use the internet.There are more than a few distributors online.Also,if you are serious about poppy tea read anything you can find by Jim Hogshire.He is a bit eccentric but noone knows poppy tea better than him.

15. Collapse Details

Originally posted by mitz-e
    Can you do this in the UK? How many would you need?
    If not, I've found reputable on line poppy supliers who ship to the UK, all ligit, because they're for pretty flower arrangements.

16. Collapse Details

ya, theres alot of info online about making poppy tea out of pods(step by step instructions etc.)

You can also buy dried poppy pods with very high alkaloid content online but from my experience, the ones from my local florist work pretty well.

17. Collapse Details

I aked this question a few weeks ago and the general consensus was that one would benefit more greatly from buying the pods and making a tea from those. Or, better yet, grow them (check on the legality of this for your area) and follow the info at poppies.org for harvesting. Note, this is a painstaking, low-yield process-- and illegal. Hypothetically, this would be ample for occassional, recreationl use. Don't bother with the washed/irradiated seeds themselves. Waste-o-time. That is, unless you have nothing better to do.

18. Collapse Details

well, technically it is illegal in the USA, Canada and other countries to grow poppies, but if you just have some in your garden along with other flowers, and you're not growing a shitload nobody will pay you any mind.

19. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    dont waste your energy. The buzz from morphine isnt very enjoyable. IMO, you're better off finding some OC80s.

20. Collapse Details

^^
    Morphine is not the only chemical in opium.

And I find opium very enjoyable! I believe 99% of people who smoked opium would also find it enjoyable

21. Collapse Details

Just to clear up a certain misunderstanding; Poppy seeds DO contain enough alkaloids to get high from when prepared in a tea granted they aren't washed or aren't washed well. If you don't believe me, go to the store and buy 300g of McCormick Poppy seeds and boil them for about 10-15 minutes. Strain the seeds, and start boiling (evaporating) the water. It will be a yellowish color to start, and it will start getting darker and more thick as the water evaporates. Try not to burn the thick mixture, pour it on a plate, let it dry until the next morning, scape it off, and you have Opium. It is not as potent as Opium produced from pods, but at least it is REAL (unlike the Red Rock crap being sold everywhere that I can purchase for $5 an ounce).

22. Collapse Details

^^
    How much opium do you get from 300g of seeds? Enough for a couple good smokes, at least?

23. Collapse Details

Originally posted by bluedolphin
    ^^
    Morphine is not the only chemical in opium.

And I find opium very enjoyable! I believe 99% of people who smoked opium would also find it enjoyable
    yah, I find opium to be much more enjoyable than many synthetic opioids.

24. Collapse Details

Needle
    bumpity bumpbump

do regular foodstores usually have seeds washed too much for our purpose? what if i asked a breadplace/bakery for mass poppy seeds?

i gather potency varies greatly. without opiate tolerance, anywhere from 100-300 grams could be a good dose? i suppose i'll start with 200 grams?

25. Collapse Details

Originally posted by bluedolphin
    ^^
    How much opium do you get from 300g of seeds? Enough for a couple good smokes, at least?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast